The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 02:35 pm
See what happens when Bush isn’t governor?
Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.
As someone who has been drunk in a Texas bar with future governor Kinky Friedman, I trust he’ll do something about this.
- There are times when I am embarrassed to be a Texan.Posted by R C Dean on 2006 03 23 at 11:24 AM • permalink
- Actually, we don’t give our Governors in Texas too much power, and the Texas Constitution says the legislature should meet every two years. We know not to trust the authorities, which they are learning right now in Irving. I live in Grapevine, where we grow our own grapes, and have a yearly wine festival. All the Irving folks can drive the 10 minutes it takes to get here and drink up. Cheers!
- The cops at night
Are big and white
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 03 23 at 11:52 AM • permalink
- A sip of booze
Means laceless shoes
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 03 23 at 12:46 PM • permalink
- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk,..
Is there a law in TX against being intoxicated?Posted by Bashir Gemayel on 2006 03 23 at 02:32 PM • permalink
- Carafe of wine
You’re doin’ time
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 03 23 at 03:13 PM • permalink
- I can see a business opportunity here. An enterprising Australian should franchise the “pub with no beer” concept. We have one at Taylors Arm and it was immortalised in song by the late great Slim Dusty. I’d link to the song wherever it is on the Web, but I’ve got to go to work … with a slight hangover! TGIF!
- It’s not all-owed
Beer to be swall-owed
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 03 23 at 04:49 PM • permalink
- That shot of Dewars
Will get you bars
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!
Whose half-baked, hare-brained scheme was this? Reminds me of when the Ashcroft JD, at a time when it had far better things to do, decided to go after drug paraphernialia dealers. I’m sure the Texas program will be equally effective.Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2006 03 23 at 05:27 PM • permalink
- It’s lonesome away from your kindred and all
By the campfire at night where the wild dingos call
But there’s nothin’ so lonesome, so dull or so drear
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer …
Lyrics found here … written by Gordon Parsons and recorded by Slim Dusty … a classic
- I must be still hungover … Victoria show they are a leader in legislation according to the Daily Tele of today … I’ll drink to that!
- You’ve drunk plenty
Now you’re doing ten to twenty
[CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP] Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 03 23 at 09:04 PM • permalink
- A Bloody Mary? There should be a drink named after her sister too. If it’s alcohol free we can call it a Virgin Gloriana, but who wants to drink an alcohol free drink? How about a Procrastinating Elizabeth? Any suggestions for the contents? How about Cognac over shaved ice with a dash of grenadine?Posted by Michael Lonie on 2006 03 24 at 12:13 AM • permalink
- If you you get on the booze
Your freedom you’ll lose
Don’t start a tab in Texas!Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2006 03 24 at 01:55 AM • permalink
- I saw some dimwit from the Texas ATF on the news this morning claiming that their undercover agents would only be looking for people who exhibit obvious signs of intoxication. And they would only use a breath analyzer to determine if the visual test was correct, and that the breath analyser results would not be used in criminal proceedings. OH BULLSHIT!
Why do people go to bars and drink in the first place? Many go to relieve the stress and tedium brought on by work, home and life. Now, some high-minded folks from my home state have decided to add to that stress by causing you to worry about every sip you take? I suppose the next logical step should be undercover agents on the watch for suicidal cowboys.
- #34 Texas Bob:
I haven’t yet checked Snopes but is this a new urban myth? Going to the bar, pub or watering hole is a social convention. Going over .05 or .08 or whatever the legal driving limit is a worry, but only if you drive. I suppose a visual test might be if the bar stool is swaying more than 5% or 8%. Oops, I’ve already fallen off a bar stool once or twice. Looks like I mightn’t be going to Texas in a hurry. Shhh … I work for a Texan company!
- #35 Stevo, yup, as hard as it is to believe, it’s true. Its this kind of BS that actually WILL get Krinky Fried-man elected. I’ve been gone for quite a few years, but I can’t see how this happened? Last time I was back home it was drive-through liquor barns, Spec’s Liquor Warehouse, and 3-for-1 Pitcher’s O’ Death at Chelsea Street Pub. I blame it on all of that out of state trash that has taken over. Screw it, I immigrating to Chile (at least the flag looks the same) and drink until my liver turns into Cindy Sheehan.
- That Vokdka Pund’t
is quite the — “What?!”
Deep in the Heart
Of Texas!Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 03 24 at 10:16 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages