The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:31 am
Yet more gun mayhem in Britain provokes the usual response:
The Prime Minister has called a summit of ministers and the police this week to talk about how to challenge gun violence …
It would be Mr Blair’s fourth summit on gun crimes and gangsters, but after each one the problem continued to get worse.
Problem? There’s a problem? Why, according to one expert: “Crime and violent crime in Britain peaked in the early 90s and [have] since plummeted.”
- More summits than bloody Tibet, and with about the same level of oxygen starvation.Posted by Habib on 2007 02 19 at 02:49 AM • permalink
- …how to challenge gun violence…
Talking is not working. Knives will be quite ineffectual. You’ll probably need guns.
I must say, the poms are taking the AShes loss poorly. It’s only a game you gap toothed, soap dodging, queue forming, nation of shopkeepers. Put down the guns or at least aim them at the French.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 02 19 at 02:56 AM • permalink
- In to-days London Times, Tony Blair said that when he leaves No. 10, he would like to travel the world and bang on about Globula Worming. So with the ‘Tony and Al show’, the competition/rivalry would have to be who would get the most overweight, out of screwing all the suckers. This Globula Worming thing is fast turning into a remedial money earner for out of work politicians.
- So how are those strict laws on gun controll working out for them then?
After all a disarmed society is a safe one eh?Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 02 19 at 03:59 AM • permalink
- Naturally, so many guns means so much violence, right?. It’s all this pom’s fault.
- Conservative leader Cameron blames youth violence on Thatcherite prosperity:
In another break with traditional Conservative policy, Mr Cameron pledged to put family life ahead of economic prosperity, saying there should be no more “grandstanding” about the exclusive importance of competitiveness in business.
“Nothing matters more than children,” he said, and if working habits were “damaging our families, we need to change our working habits. If it comes to a collision between our wealth as a nation and the well-being of families, I choose families,” he said. There was a natural conflict between hours worked, money earned and the time spent at home,” he added.
Ah, I see. It’s fathers in work who are the problem. Not the ones on welfare, or in jail, or who’ve abandoned their kids completely.
It’s the dads who are working too hard.
glad that’s cleared up then.
So terrible in fact Ive bookmarked it in order to re-live my offendedness when i get some pipe fittings….Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 02 19 at 07:45 AM • permalink
- Maybe they could get the crims to register their weapons?Posted by andycanuck on 2007 02 19 at 08:32 AM • permalink
- The rise in violent crime in the UK has little to do with the ban on handguns because prior to the ban the guns had to be kept locked in gun cabinets whilst they were not at a shooting range, therefore they were not much use as a defensive tool in the first place. The gun ban was trivial and vindictive but it did not cause the escalation of gun crime.
Personally I suspect that the spate of shootings is related to the movement of dangerous people from dangerous places such as Jamaica and Somalia to London. This must have an influence on Britain’s criminal sub culture.
Problem? There’s a problem?
Well, yes, there’s a problem: someone has to collect all those brass casings left behind after a shooting. Can’t have all that trash laying around the street, now, can’t we? Mother Gaia™ wouldn’t approve!
/idiot leftardPosted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 02 19 at 11:22 AM • permalink
- Let’s see, remove all arms from honest citizens, check.
Throw honest people in jail if they defend themselves, check.
Don’t actually treat criminals as criminals and lock them up for long periods, check.
Create exceptions to law for PC-correct ‘victims’ so they can commit crimes, check.
Say “We need to do it again, only more and harder and THEN it will work!”, check.
And the whole nation of Britain loses.
- OK, I know I’m a gap toothed, sister marryin’, Jeebus lovin’, home skoolin’, minority executin’, SUV drivin’, Big Mac eatin’ Bush supporter, but here in the middle of the great American outback just about everyone has a gun. Hell, the county DA teaches the concealed carry course. And the last time we had any gun violence in a county of ~30K was… well I cannot remember any. Because a fellow could get shot if he threatened gun violence around here.Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2007 02 19 at 01:42 PM • permalink
- #14 Ross
Yes, that is a major factor. People often point to the high numbers of blacks in prison and make the quantum leap that blacks are a major cause of crime.
This isnt quite true. Britain has essentially two large black populations – one from Jamaica and one from Commonwealth countries in Africa. The stats on the former are horrifying. The latter, however, perform better than their white counterparts at school and are less likely to be in prison. It isnt a black problem that Britain has – its a Jamaican problem.Posted by pommygranate on 2007 02 19 at 06:15 PM • permalink
- A long time ago someone came up with the slogan: “guns don’t kill people. People kill people”. In a way, although true it pitched its message too simply. What Blair and others have never wanted to do is to drill down to the facts about the people who kill people. If they did they may have to face some uncomfortable truths about why the killings are taking place.
In Sydney which is my home town, we will hear about a spate of killings. Many months later it will be revealed that there was a drug “turf war” between the latest lot of immigrants and an earlier lot they wanted to displace. I’m not saying it is the same in the UK but if I were a citizen I would ask for deeper analysis than a gun summit.
- Pommygranate, I agree with you mostly, African immigrants have by and large been successful although I would seperate more recent immigrants from Somalia from the historically successful groups from Nigeria, Ghana and elsewhere in West Africa, as the BBC article I link to shows.
- #16 It sounds like someone needs a Perfect Ammo Casings Organizer, Jeff_S, that automatically sorts all of your spent shell casings by calibre, regardless of size, to allow for easy recycling. Remember: PACO™ saves your brass.Posted by andycanuck on 2007 02 19 at 08:05 PM • permalink
- Paco Industries sure has a major marketing organization and sales force. I wish I could bellieve that the manufacturing part of the business was as well organized. The last time the auditors wanted to do a physical inventory nobody could find the warehouse, and the machinery was all “out for repair”.Posted by Michael Lonie on 2007 02 19 at 08:39 PM • permalink
- No comment, Mr. Lonie.Posted by andycanuck on 2007 02 19 at 11:17 PM • permalink
- This Globula Worming thing is fast turning into a remedial money earner for out of work politicians.
Well, of course. Here in EUtopia, such politicians are usually simply banished to the European Parliament (or in dramatic cases, the European Commission), but that obviously doesn’t work for Algore, and Tony Blair might be a bit too big for that solution.
- If the UK keeps going on its current trajectory it is destined to become THE home of RKBA.
How quickly this happens will depend on two things:
– How long it takes the peasants to realise they were duped in disarmament.
– How quickly they get tired of getting bashed, robbed, raped and murdered without recourse.
Any adult who doesn’t have a gun at their disposal is simply shirking their duty to be able to defend those in their care.
- If they’d just make everything legal, there’d be no crime. At least I think that’s the libertarian platform. It sounds as if the Brits are as successful at controlling guns as the U.S. are at controlling drug smuggling.
I prefer a requirement that all persons deemed fit, be trained and required to carry concealed firearms, with regular practice and training. And that people shot while committing acts of violence or theft result in an award to the shooter.
- Well, thank bog those crazy limeys can’t fabricate their own guns, eh wot?
- #32- And ditto for those dopey downunder diggers, too busy with all that marsupial molestation and tying corks on their hats.
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.