The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 5th, 2017 at 01:58 pm
Vermont – the whitest place in the US; when Vermonters say “Yo”, the second syllable is always “gurt” – presents rap trio X10:
The New York Times loves these kids:
The quiet streets and low crime rates of Vermont have worked their way into the hip-hop world, thanks to a rap video called “802,” made by three students at Montpelier High School.
“Up in Vermont, this is how we do, we got one area code, and it’s 802,” rap Colin Arisman and Luke Martin, who wear white polo shirts and start the video by hopping out of a white Toyota Scion.
The rap pokes fun at Vermont institutions and stereotypes like dairy products and snowplows.
The NYT doesn’t generally go in for this sort of cultural mockery.
- Aren’t those the dorks from the Alltel wireless TV commercials?Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 06 02 at 02:47 PM • permalink
- For Tim’s antipodean readers, Alltel’s ads use pimply-faced geek characters to represent their competitors.Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 06 02 at 02:51 PM • permalink
I take it as a sign of the eminent decline of the rap fad when pimply whiteboy wannabes get featured in the Media.
Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking . . .Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 06 02 at 02:53 PM • permalink
- Mall rats like these really hate it when you laugh at them flashing their make-believe gang signs, by the way.Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 06 02 at 02:57 PM • permalink
- If these bepimpled whitey buttbrains mock this smug and self-righteous dairy product, I’m golden.
But would said mocking be a case of cannibalism or masturbation? Or a self-inflicted wound?Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 06 02 at 02:58 PM • permalink
- Of course they’re newsworthy! They’re the founders of a new type of popular music, known as “dork hop”.Posted by Billy Hollis on 2007 06 02 at 03:01 PM • permalink
- Billy—“Hick Hop”Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 06 02 at 03:11 PM • permalink
- Good one richard! I think that should spread.
Ha-ha!Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 06 02 at 03:20 PM • permalink
- “don’t mess with our cows or we’ll break your knees”
These clowns are more embarrassing than Vanilla Ice. I thought minstrel shows went out with Jim Crow.Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2007 06 02 at 06:01 PM • permalink
- Oh my, white rappers, that’s never been done before.
I breathlessly await the NYT’s discover of another “new thing”: an African-American country singer.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2007 06 02 at 06:33 PM • permalink
- he rap pokes fun at Vermont institutions and stereotypes like dairy products and snowplows.
This is what passes for gangsta rap in Vermont.Posted by Mystery Meat on 2007 06 02 at 07:38 PM • permalink
- #15: OH, is Vermont still a U.S. State, thought we gave it to Canada?
Nah. What happened was, we left Vermont on a side street with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. When we went and checked a week later, we found that not only was Vermont still there, but the Canadians had abandoned Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
- Oh my, oh my, it’s the 3-dimensional time-independent Schrodinger equation for a particle of mass u moving in a potential field e[squared]/r!
Did I get the prize? Did I? Did I?Posted by ElectronPower on 2007 06 02 at 08:07 PM • permalink
- Since dairy products and snowplows are not exactly an oversimplification of Vermont, the more telling stereotype would be “whites got no rhythm”. The unanswered question is, why aren’t there more white rappers, given that rap music with its chanted lyrics and sampled musical accompaniment must be one of the least complex music genres.
But then what do I know, as I ain’t got no rhythm.
- Then there was the Hasidic reggae guy.(Apologies to the atheists.) (No, not really.)Posted by dean martin on 2007 06 02 at 08:39 PM • permalink
- This is a better link to white hot white rapper Debbie Harry. She also did a rap with Coolio called No Exit in 1999.
- Here you go, reese.Posted by dean martin on 2007 06 02 at 09:23 PM • permalink
- On one of the PDQ Bach CDs Peter Schikele did a rap song about the hardships of living on the Upper West Side of Manhatten. Highlarious. It’s called Classical Rap and it’s on the CD “Oedipus TEx & Other Choral Catastrophes.”
“So we’re talking about six figures here
But I wnat to make one thing perfectly clear
I have to laugh and I have to scoff
When I hear people say that we’re well off.
Anyone who thinks that we’re sitting pretty
Doesn’t know what life’s like in the big, bad city.”Posted by Michael Lonie on 2007 06 02 at 09:58 PM • permalink
- That guy on the left looks like a hard type who’d mercilessly beat anyone with an inferior grasp of calculus.Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 06 02 at 10:06 PM • permalink
- He’s got a gasper on his lips, and a real stylin’ lid,
And when he pulls that .38, you know he ain’t no kid,
Got a blond in one hand, and a roscoe in the other,
And if he’s lookin’ for you, you better watch out, brother!
You know it’s
Paco (Paco!), Paco in the ‘hood,
Paco (Paco!), An’ he’s up to no good,
I say it’s
Paco (Paco!), Paco in the ‘hood,
Oh lord it’s
Paco (Paco!), Better do what you should!
Soon to be a available on CD from Pacozon.com
- #30 He probably is in search of a square root. (Very bad Australian English pun.)Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 06 02 at 11:53 PM • permalink
- Yee-ah, Yeee-ah, Yeeee-ah!
In VT we got the curds if you got the whey.
We be making dat cheese nearly every day.
Our chedder so much bedder it ain’t hardly fair
Hey you southern mammyjammers sniff our dairy air!
We got Holsteins & Guernseys, and they look so fine
Next year Miss Vermont could be Miss Bovine
We got bulls so bad they make a heifer scream
Who you think put the chill into yo’ ice cream?
Yeah those Holstein bulls they be so damn scary
They make a lacto-vagal-vegan want to swear off dairy
Yeah up in Vermont you better get the word
You may run with the pack but stay away from the herd
- Actually, the great visionary Weird Al Yankovic beat these guys to the rural rap scene with “Amish Paradise.”Posted by Steve Skubinna on 2007 06 03 at 04:12 AM • permalink
- He’s a swingin’ bird, you finks.Posted by dean martin on 2007 06 03 at 05:05 AM • permalink
- Well at least its tongue and cheek. What is really bad is whigga bands from the burbs’ whinging about how bad things are for them.Posted by Andrew Ian Dodge on 2007 06 03 at 12:58 PM • permalink
- More rapper abuse.Posted by dean martin on 2007 06 03 at 10:38 PM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.