The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 5th, 2018 at 01:45 pm
Car-b-q excitement grips Greek anarchists:
Groups of anarchists broke windows, threw paint and spray-painted slogans at French cultural institutes in Athens and northern Greece in support of rioters in France, Greek police said on Friday. About 50 people, wearing hoods and helmets and carrying red and black flags, threw stones, spark plugs and bottles filled with paint at the central Athens French Institute on Friday morning, breaking windows and damaging parked vehicles. Police said there were no injuries and the group dispersed quickly after the attack. Another group attacked the French institute in the northern city of Thessaloniki on Thursday evening, smashing windows while classrooms were filled with language students. They spray-painted “Rioters Are Right” on the front of the building.
“They just appeared out of nowhere, I think about 70 or 80 of them. They smashed everything and we just sat there terrified,” one student told reporters.
Meanwhile, immolations continue in France, with 502 cars torched overnight. Says national police service chief Michel Gaudin: “We’ve gone back to an almost normal situation in Ile de France.”
- The world is definitely turned upside down when Greek vandals are attacking French institutions instead of American ones.
But some things don’t change: Chirac sat on his hands for nearly two weeks while rioters attacked cars, schools, churches, etc., but notice how quickly he condemned an attack on a mosque.
- Apparently the old Greek tradition of plate smashing has been banned in Greece. Maybe it’s just dissent against this draconion stipulation.Posted by James Waterton on 2005 11 12 at 03:25 PM • permalink
- French rabble target French cars. Greek anarchists target French institutions. That’s too easy. Let’s see them try that shit in Ohio.
Although … I wouldn’t mind joining a flashmob and burn some Renaults. Especially my mother-in-law’s.Posted by wronwright on 2005 11 12 at 04:06 PM • permalink
- I doubt this is the work of Greek anarchists. It’s most likely ideological brethren of the vaguely-identified “disaffected youth” of France. Northern Greece has had a particularly bad problem of late with Muslims (mostly from Albania) trying to reassert that good old Ottoman dominance. The U.S. State Dept. estimates about 300,000 illegal Muslim immigrants are living in Greece.
Besides—following up on RebeccaH’s astute observation—if they were really Greeks, they’d be targeting U.S. institutions because we’re always the bad guys as far as they’re concerned. Never mind the aid, tourist dollars, and money that Greeks who’ve left the homeland (including my family) send back there.Posted by Polish Frizzle on 2005 11 12 at 04:36 PM • permalink
- Dear Sir.
I wish to complain about your post about cannibalism in Paris. As a serving politician let me assure you that the problem is relatively under control, and it is now the Americans who suffer the most casualties in this area.
Dominique De Villepin
In A White Wine Sauce With Shallots
- Only 502 cars torched hey?… maybe it’s not a case of things getting back to normal, but a case of supply vs demand.
There is a clearly a demand by islamic youths the children of migrants from Frances former colonies for more cars to torch. But due to the previous torchings the amount of cars available is diminished. This is not only because of the cars already burnt, but also the french can’t be so stupid as to park their cars outside when there a real threat of having it char grilled … surely not!!!
- Them Greeks cars must be fireproof. I’ma gonna get me one o’ them!Posted by Some0Seppo on 2005 11 12 at 10:38 PM • permalink
- French anarchists have joined the fray according to the BBC. This is worrying. Being unconstrained by the need to pray four times a day (since anarchists don’t do religion) they should be able to get through a lot more cars.
We’ll sort them out, Russia tells France
Moscow – A Russian politician has offered to send the country’s violent soccer thugs to France in order to sort out the rioters.
I’d pay to see it but I bet it would be over in 5 minutes.Posted by Art Vandelay on 2005 11 13 at 02:05 AM • permalink
- 7# – do not libel Islamic automotive engineering prowess! Check out this hot little Iranian piece of sex on wheels, the Samand.Posted by James Waterton on 2005 11 13 at 07:54 AM • permalink
- Talking about terrorist on terrorist action, I’d back the IRA over the Jihadis any day.Posted by James Waterton on 2005 11 13 at 09:23 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
“They just appeared out of nowhere…”
Hmm, flashmob riots. 🙂