The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 08:38 am
Chomskyite intellectual Hugo Chavez receives a rave review in the SMH:
Brandishing a copy of Noam Chomsky’s Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance, the President of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, has cemented his reputation as Washington’s chief irritant with a fiery performance at the United Nations.
In a 15-minute address to the annual gathering of international leaders in New York on Wednesday, Mr Chavez said he could still “smell sulfur” left behind by the “devil”, George Bush, who had addressed the chamber 24 hours before.
His speech, which veered between a rousing appeal for a better world and a florid denunciation of the United States, included the claim that the US President thought he was in a western where people shot from the hip …
Many diplomats in the vaulted chamber laughed and clapped.
UPDATE. VamPus observes:
En kommentar hos hablog gjorde VamPus oppmerksom på Blairs lov … Chavez anbefalte forvøvrig forfatteren Noam Chomsky.
- The last time we had a President who thought he was in a Western, we brought down the USSR, Hughie…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 09 21 at 09:26 PM • permalink
- UPDATE. VamPus observes:
En kommentar hos hablog gjorde…
Oh sure, we can ALL read whatever the hell language that is, thanxPosted by Shaky Barnes on 2006 09 21 at 09:46 PM • permalink
- Shouldn’t the headline say “Reputations”?Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 09 21 at 09:50 PM • permalink
Chomskyite intellectual Hugo Chavez receives a rave review in the SMH
And then the nanny brought in milk and cookies, and then they all had a nap.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 09 21 at 09:50 PM • permalink
- Cool! Now we can all go to Chavez’s jerkwater country and publicly call him the devil and criticize his government without getting arrested or shot!
Am I right?Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2006 09 21 at 10:11 PM • permalink
- Isn’t Chomsky dead?
;^)Posted by andycanuck on 2006 09 21 at 10:45 PM • permalink
- I’d like to give Nancy Pelosi’s “thug” response a little more credit than “trying to spin this so the Democrats don’t get hurt by Chavez’s idiocy”.
Not a lot, but yes, a little.Posted by Warmongering Lunatic on 2006 09 21 at 10:58 PM • permalink
- 15, Entropy, its “laughed because they had terminal clap”Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2006 09 21 at 11:24 PM • permalink
- And monkeys often do both at the same time, too, entropy.Posted by andycanuck on 2006 09 21 at 11:42 PM • permalink
- Francis Fukuyama did a piece on Chavez last month.
He is running Venezuela terribly, but while oil prices are high it doesn’t matter.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 22 at 12:15 AM • permalink
- Clearly Chavez can’t be wrong with getting the facts from Chomsky…
“Mr Chavez said he could still “smell sulfur” left behind by the “devil”, George Bush…”
Bush should rip a deadlier fart (WMD) and kill Chavez.Posted by The Best Infidel on 2006 09 22 at 03:29 AM • permalink
- I reckon that Stephen Colbert should employ the latest Latin American comedy sensation, Hugo Chavez, to help write his next Presidential roast!
Couldn’t be any less funny than the last one he did…Chavez certainly got more laughs…Posted by Jack Lacton on 2006 09 22 at 04:50 AM • permalink
- Shouldn’t Bush and his party be screaming bloody outrage? Why aren’t his supporters rioting down the streets, calling for fatwas on Chavez and death to the infidel Venezuelens!
BTW, this one’s been around a while, so you may have come across it. A modern classic, methinks. Anyone who hasn’t seen a YAAFM cartoon, link now, you’re missing out on a beauty!
- “[Chavez] is running Venezuela terribly, but while oil prices are high it doesn’t matter.”
My motto of the day:
SCREW CHAVEZ AND IRAN:
SUPPORT NUCLEAR POWER!Posted by Urbs in Horto on 2006 09 22 at 08:54 AM • permalink
- #22 Conrad:
That and SMH called Chavez’s vaudeville schtick a ‘fiery performance.’ Yes, performance it certainly was. All he needed was big shoes and red bulb for a nose.
As for Pelosi and Rangel, Rangel called for reinstitution of the draft, not because he wanted more men in uniform, but because he wanted more enlistees for the anti-war movement.
Pelosi’s comment? Nothing but naked (pardon the image) political calculation.
To get a better idea what the Dems really think of Chavez’s buffoonery, see Sen. Harkin’s barely qualified praise.
- McSweeney – Noam and Zinn discuss the Lord of the Rings
As Oprah would say, “Hugo girl”.
Now, for the hard question.
Once all is said and done, will Venezuala be the 51st star on our flag? or will we keep it as a represented territory like Puerto Rico?
just annex it to be part of Texas. They’ll love that.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 22 at 10:16 AM • permalink
- 6. The U.N.‘s on the East River, but I get your drift.Posted by chinesearithmetic on 2006 09 22 at 10:56 AM • permalink
Many diplomats in the vaulted chamber laughed and clapped.
Guess we’ve found the new home for the U
selessN itwits– move ‘em to Venezuela with their new-found buddy.Posted by Barbara Skolaut on 2006 09 22 at 11:24 AM • permalink
- He’s just another petro-state dictator. And a trumped-up little shit, too.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 22 at 12:00 PM • permalink
- Chavez has put Chomsky at the top of Amazon’s Bestsellers list (Hegemony or Survival blah blah blah is at #7 as well). Democrats are falling all over each other denouncing Hugs and his remarks. It’s quite comical really. Oh, what I wouldn’t give to have Australia a permanent member of the Security Council.Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2006 09 22 at 12:28 PM • permalink
- The Anti-Chomsky Reader only book worth reading about that scumbag traitor.
Remember everybody. This Chomsky turd is the same traitor that went into Pakistan a few weeks before our invasion into Afghanistan and gave a series of “lectures” to standing room only audiences that has as talking points:
1. How it was the plan of the Americans to cause at least 3 million Afghans to starve to death during this war.
2. The Americans would distribute poisoned foods to the starving Afghans.
3. Americans kill the civilians first then go after the soldiers in the field.
The flow of Pakistani men heading to Afghanistan to help their taliban “brothers” fight against the infidel would increase substantially after his “lectures” were broadcast on radio and tv and in news print all over Pakistan.
- Hey guys, lets do a thing tomorrow.
Exactly 100 replies in each subject posted.
And in each subject:
The first reply to be squar on topic.
The second reply to be off topic but closely related to the topic.
and the third reply to be either way off topic but in the same general concept area or just way off topic.
Then we can work on weaving commentary from seperate strings in a single thread and possibly produce a good yarn.
It would also be interesting if we could have postings to each subject put forward by Mr. Tim to have a beginning, a middle and an end in the commentary yarn.
Think we could pull that off, without Andrea noticing?
Ok, back on subject…everyone keep it on the down low. dont want “the man” to get wind of this…
Yeah, that chomsky fella. He’s such a douch. I hear he’s not even very good at that grammar lino stuff he says he invented.
- #38 great idea. We’ll tell them:
“the planet is doomed, due to impending global warming, species loss, rampant consumerism, and George Bush’s lies. Here’s a nice big spaceship for you all to get into. Have a nice trip.”Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 22 at 03:06 PM • permalink
- G’day, VamPus 🙂 Owyagoinluv?Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 09 22 at 06:47 PM • permalink
- Didn’t Margaret Thatcher kick Vuenezela’s ass? Or was that Argentina? Or are they the same country?Posted by Shaky Barnes on 2006 09 23 at 12:41 AM • permalink
- #51, Shaky Barnes:
Or are they the same country?
Different branches of the same general sewer.
The only real difference that I know of between the two, other than general geography, is that the Argies were a bit more friendly to the nazis during and after WW2.
And yeah, it was the Argies that were so simple in the head that they thought the British would give up a piece of their lands without a fight.
- Grimmy, I think also that the Falkland Islanders rather liked being Brits. They didn’t want to be Argentinian.
Mind you, I wouldn’t want to be one, either. I’m quite partial to being aussie.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 09 23 at 07:40 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.