The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Do you prefer white people to black people? Or black people to white people? Or are you without any preference at all? Take the Harvard Implicit Association Test and find out!
More details here. But take the test (there are several others at the same site) first, just for fun.
UPDATE. Hit the Australian flag when you enter the site, and take the Oz-US quiz. My result: “Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Australia relative to United States.”
- It appears that I have a strong preference for whites over blacks, but this is probably due to my learning to associate good ideas with white faces and then getting very confused when the association was reversed.
I suspect that if the trials had been in the reverse order, my apparent “underlying preference” would also have been reversed.
Frankly, I am sceptical that these tests reveal anything about automatic preferences, but then I’m prejudiced.
- One minute youg and good have the same key, the next minute they don’t . . . . WTF???
I guess this is just some overwrought “proof” that we’re all prejudiced even if we think we’re not.
I didn’t try the race test, but I know that I’m racist enough to meet the following definition:
“you know you’re a racist when you wouldn’t want your daughter to date or marry a [insert race here]”
- I strongly associate males with science and females with liberal arts. No big surprises there.
It was interesting to note how much difficulty I had when the “female” and “science” keys were on the same side of the screen. Guess I’m a completely unreconstructed chaivinist.Posted by Evil Pundit on 01/27 at 05:50 AM • permalink
- I got the same answer on the Countries IAT.
Should there be an IAT for red staters? I believe most of the answers would be like this:
Your data suggest a strong preference to domestic relative to imported beer
And let’s not forget Jihadists:
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference to black Africans relative to white people as you can fit more of them in the feed chute of a plastic shredder
- “You see the trick is to say you’re prejudiced against ALL races…”Posted by Quentin George on 01/27 at 06:40 AM • permalink
- I took this test a while back. Got slight automatic preference for whites, which is no doubt true.
To those complaining about the bias displayed being the result of getting used to the keys being on one side in the first half of the test, whether you get white/good or black/good first is random, which compensates for this effect over a large sample.
- Those who only had a slight preference for whites?
Are you suicidal? Looking at the Stats on criminality and race in order to be risk neutral you’d have to more than a slight preference.
Of course the stats are more complicated than that (it’s culture not race, but culture partially associates with race), but we are talking about a one-off information deficit good/bad judgement.
I wonder if they did one for criminality, would you all score “a preference for black criminals” showing you have been indoctrinated to reject reasonably accurate stereotypes.
Look up the raw stats (for prison population by race) for your own country and see for yourself, before the inevitable accusations of racist are levelled.
P.S. UK stats say Asians are jailed 1/4 as often as Whites. So us Whiteys can improve as well.
- Why Mr. Blair, that makes you an OZIST!
My data suggests that I have a strong automatic preferrence for all Taliban and HIG members to be dead…Posted by Major John on 01/27 at 08:03 AM • permalink
- This is a complete crock. My results in the tests I tried clearly depended on the order in which they first presented the category associated with “good” and bad.
I ended up with slightly associating men with science and women with liberal arts (I’m a woman with a science degree working for a scientific research organisation as a systems administrator).
I’m an australian who is centre left on social issues and I ended up with a moderate preference for the US over Australia (must be because I secretly want Andy Roddick to thrash Lleyton Hewitt in the next ausopen match).
- Just doing a smiley test because I just registered. 😆 😛 %-P :wow: If I actually use one of them in a post here sometime someone needs to come over to my house and punch me in the head with every ounce of force in their bodies. Believe me, you’ll be doing me a big favour :-S what’s that one supposed to mean, I stitched my lips at Woomera? :bug: this one means “I had intimate relations with one of the lantern-jawed she-hulks of the Russian female weight lifting team and damn me if her mighty thigh strength didn’t half rip me old todger clean off”, (admittedly that one isn’t often used since the collapse of the USSR), and this one says :smirk: “but I’d do it all again”.
Don’t ban me! This one says Don’t ban me I’ll behave :zip:
- I prefer green Orion Dancing Chicks but I’ll just have to make do with what’s at hand…Posted by richard mcenroe on 01/27 at 11:36 AM • permalink
- I apparently have a slight automatic preference for the arrogant, lying, Depression-extending, Constitution-trashing 32nd President of the United States over George W. Bush (whom I voted for in both 2000 and 2004).
Uh-huh. That must be one hell of an unconscious preference, given that consciously I think it’s unfortunate that his bout of polio didn’t kill the bastard.Posted by Warmongering Lunatic on 01/27 at 04:10 PM • permalink
- Darlene — “As if anyone is going to put a dot in a circle saying they think whites are top notch and blacks are not or vice versa.” May I introduce you to Senator Byrd…?Posted by richard mcenroe on 01/28 at 12:26 AM • permalink
- I hafd a go … but it took 3 bottles of $5.49 Chardnnay to finish all the questions cos I have a `fast’ regional connection.
I thought the Chardonnay would make me sympathetic to whatever Harvard wanted – however because it is so sheap it has no alcohol in it so … well fugum … or sleep time now … or WHATEVER … or what does 12% mean anyway????
On the plus side, I managed to be a misandrist and a misogynist.