The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on May 17th, 2017 at 03:03 pm
Hillary–hatin’ Bob Ellis has his say in the Daily Telegraph. Biggest audience Bob’s had in years.
UPDATE. Some background to all of this.
- Re oil prices, did you say that Tim?Posted by ThinAndBritish on 2008 05 07 at 12:21 PM • permalink
- I think you might have hurt his feelings Tim.
Could he also say what articles of mine, precisely, were so wrong or so bad that I should be excluded from publication in any newspaper and why freedom of speech, as a generality, should not be extended to me?
Uh, Bobby, mate, hate to break it to you, but he did.
I was made Columnist of the Year in 2003 for regular pieces I wrote on subjects of morality. Does he have a similar award? Can he show it to me?
I have 18 other major awards for television drama, theatre and feature film writing, including three Premier’s Awards.
Now Bob, you’re just being a complete asswipe. Do any of your “major awards” actually have any meaning at all?
- Does he have a similar award/
You know, I remember Antony Loewenstein saying a similar thing – someone criticised his book My Israel Question and AL asked whethr the critic had ever written a best-selling book? – implying that until you’ve written a book defined as best-selling you have no right to comment.
Ellis makes a similarly specious point here, implying TB has no right to comment ‘cos he’s not an award-winner like Bob.
So what? Those awards simply commemorate a time when Bob Ellis did good work – in the world of fiction and imagination. His ‘political” writings have little to recommend them, being uniformly maudlin, ill-informed, inaccurate and the wormy fruit of personal fantasy.
The column Tim complained/wrote about was a piece of sexist grubby shite and deserves to be acknowledged as such.
Well done, Tim!Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 07 at 12:52 PM • permalink
- Three Premier’s Awards. Bob, I’m just dying of envy all over.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 07 at 12:52 PM • permalink
- Ash, if i’d posted a bit sooner I think my post and yours would have ended up in the same paragraph!
Spooky!Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 07 at 12:53 PM • permalink
- By the way, Bob, someone as sensitive as you would surely have noticed that Awards contain the word “war” in them.
Shocking!Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 07 at 12:55 PM • permalink
- As could be expected from a hothouse flower like Bob, he responds to the accurate and hilarious criticism Blair dished out by crying about an entirely imaginary call on Tim’s part for Bob’s freedom of speech to be repressed. And all this pretended persecution, mind you, in a column of Bobbo’s published in a newspaper.
I’ve never had a column published in a newspaper. Clearly my freedom of speech is being repressed.
So let’s be clear, in case Bob is reading this: The point of Tim’s dissection of your assertion that Hillary’s alleged prudishness was the catalyst which precipitated the end of the world was that you’re a moron, not that your epic imbecility shouldn’t be displayed for all to laugh at in Nelson Muntz-esque fashion.Posted by Crispytoast on 2008 05 07 at 01:03 PM • permalink
- So far as I know Tim hasn’t called for Ellis to be sacked. He’s just been pointing out he’s a dope.Posted by Ernst Blofeld on 2008 05 07 at 01:37 PM • permalink
- Bob Ellis –
His present message is that certain things should not be said about Hillary’s sex life. This does not apply, however, to Bill’s sex life, or Cheryl Kernot’s, or Troy Buswell’s.
I have no idea who the latter two people are. But Ellis must be completely stupid if he doesn’t understand the difference between discussing—in a newspaper column no less—Hillary’s purported reluctance to give Bill a blow job and Bill’s exercise of poor judgment in actually receiving blow jobs by a White House intern, perjuring himself later on about it, and precipitating an impeachment.
One is in the public sphere, the other is nobody’s fucking business.Posted by wronwright on 2008 05 07 at 02:46 PM • permalink
I was made Columnist of the Year in 2003 for regular pieces I wrote on subjects of morality.
Searching for Bob Ellis columns on Kruddy’s Excellent Strip Club Adventure. Will get back to you.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2008 05 07 at 02:50 PM • permalink
- So Bob won journalism awards, eh? If those are anything in Oz like they are here, they were thrown around the room by overweight journos screaming “Avoe!” at an incest party.Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2008 05 07 at 02:56 PM • permalink
- We’re always getting awards at work. Right now I have a paper-holder thing made from a rock on the desk, that honors something or other.
I think it’s a paper-holder. Anyway I’m using it as one.
It may of course be for morality, or for team effort. Who knows.
Let’s see. I’ve turned it over and it says team innovation. Well you never know, is my point.
If you have a prize division, they will send out prizes.
It’s probably the best prize division of 2008. I’m sure it has been.
- It’s been almost 6 years, and he still hasn’t destroyed you yet? Kind of slow, isn’t he? Come on, Bob, get with the program. Don’t get all of us minions revving up for retaliation and then you wuss out!
Imperial KeeperPosted by Elizabeth Imperial Keeper on 2008 05 07 at 04:00 PM • permalink
- Bob Ellis? Is that the same Bob Ellis known as “Backdoor Bob?” If so, he was in a highly-praised underground cult film that I have heard about, but not seen- “Backdoor Bob backs up in the Outback.”
I thought he must be “Backdoor Bob” when he said he would show his if Tim did.Posted by Mystery Meat on 2008 05 07 at 04:28 PM • permalink
- This would be the same Bob who called detention officers nazis would it?
Dear Bob, Fuck you, you opinion is just like you ass, large, stinky and all encompassing. Not something you should flaunt in public.Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 07 at 04:39 PM • permalink
- Is he implying that we right-wingers gave Troy Busswell and Cheryl Kernot some sort of free pass? He missed the fact that we’ve been taking the piss out of a certain seat-sniffer for days now? Surely not – Bob’s some sort of a journalist (isn’t he?).
And if he wants to whinge about morality and decency, he should start with Marieke’s sexual fantasies about him: now that IS sick!Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 07 at 05:20 PM • permalink
- Oh god, how pretentious. I’m sure the DT editorial team was rolling on the floor laughing when you / they read his submission. Very cruel to publish it, Tim.
It ranks with:
“Don’t you know who I am?”
You would need a 5 page spread to fit in all the wrong predictions Bob has made.
ps Bob, the price of oil fell when Saddam was overthrown. The fact it is now higher has nothing to do with the Iraq war, and everything to do with a combination of controlled supply versus ever increasing demand. I’m sure you’ve heard of supply / demand market forces. It is what makes your pizza cost more than last year.
- I would not be terribly impressed by 1 w**nker having beeen given prizes by a bunch of other w**nkers. If he had a medal for gallantry, or an award for humanitarian aid, or any sign that he had actually got off his fat a*se and made a meaningful difference to anybody’s life, I might be more impressed.
Rage, Bob – keep the rage alive.
Oh god, how pretentious. I’m sure the DT editorial team was rolling on the floor laughing when you / they read his submission. Very cruel to publish it, Tim.
Please don’t publish Marieke’s letter defending Bob! Please!!! My stomach couldn’t take it!Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 07 at 06:22 PM • permalink
- As with so many lefties Ellis’ arguments are fundamentally dishonest. The more appropriate and accurate comparison would be to compare Hillary with Cheryl Kernot’s husband and Buswell’s wife. All three were innocent parties in the scandals involving their spouses and as such their own private lives are no-one’s business.
Classic Ellis writing – just keep pouring on the vitriol and never mind about the facts or a cogent argument.
- It really reads like a pre-internet writer blissfully unaware that for anyone to read Tim’s column it is but a click away
to add to wronwright
1) Hillary giving Bill some action does not preclude Bill getting action from an intern
2) Hillary failing to give Bill action does not compel Bill to find an intern. With that subtle mention of his 19 major awards Bob clearly understands onanism.
3) engaging in what if fantasies where a bj is a pivotal event is just stupid. Will Bob offer to service Helen Clark, Kim Jong Il and other world leaders in an effort to save the world?
(I apologize in advance if any mental images provoked by this post causes any permanent damage)Posted by Col. Milquetoast on 2008 05 07 at 06:34 PM • permalink
- I was made Columnist of the Year in 2003 for regular pieces I wrote on subjects of morality.
Those columns are proof that Bob himself, and the left in general (they gave him the awards), do not understand morality.Posted by Jack Lacton on 2008 05 07 at 06:35 PM • permalink
- Well done to the opinion page editor at the DT for finally giving Blair his come-uppance. This bloke has had it coming for a long time.
Extra points for alerting us to Timmaays’s “George W Bush is a modern day Winston Churchill” and “There will be no humanitarian catastrophe in Iraq” columns which, up until now, have escaped our attention.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 06:39 PM • permalink
…while Bob might have heard of supply and demand, he sure as hell didn’t understand them.
Pursuant to his lack of understanding of supply, demand and markets, he doesn’t believe in them. IIRC, one of his anti-“economic rationalism” books of the 80s was entitled “First Kill The Customer”, or something equally vile.Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 07 at 06:42 PM • permalink
- Bob is a wee bit slow on the avengin’ isn’t he? did it take that long to finish Tims career because Bob was writing his column in crayon?
Still, what Bob doesn’t get is that his work awards are equivalent to those received by McDonalds employees (hopefully he got his photo up in the foyer somewhere too).
Personally, if I were searching for the professional high ground, I wouldn’t be admitting having written anything for Aust TV.Posted by Harry Buttle on 2008 05 07 at 06:47 PM • permalink
- BTW, Ellis has graciously not mentioned the time in 2007, when Blair said South Sydney rabbitohs would not make the NRL finals and the time he referred to “durham wheat”. If Ellis is reading this, he can contact me, as I pretty much have the whole dirt file.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 06:48 PM • permalink
I suspect Mr Ellis may not be a great user of the Internet as a research tool.
He probably hasn’t figured out where to shovel the coal in yet.
Personally, if I were searching for the professional high ground, I wouldn’t be admitting having written anything for Aust TV.
Has he ever written an episode of Hey Dad?Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 07 at 06:50 PM • permalink
- Here it is, Ellis. Don’t say I never do anything for you.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 06:57 PM • permalink
- He said there would be no humanitarian catastrophe in Iraq and now, with three million Iraqis living elsewhere, and a million of them, probably, dead, he still has his job.
Why a million dead? Why “Probably”? How many terrorists among that lot, incidentally? Or were they all (all one million) crippled children from Sadrist daycare centers? C’mon, Bob, get off your lazy arse and stop grazing on wire service blurbs; do some original research – maybe even some original reporting. Who knows? You might even collect another columnist of the year citation. Or at least the Miss Congeniality award.
- BTW – What’s doing with Ellis’s hair?Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 07:36 PM • permalink
- Ellis’s awards? Bob has been sniffing seats in the Labor party long enough to know the left doesn’t reward talent but loyalty.
Go to Wikipedia and read about his career. With the exception of Newsfront made 30 years ago, his “notable” films were only notable for being pathetic. The best parts of Newsfront were the archival newsreels used throughout. That is what the reviews always mentioned and is all I can remember of it now. Bob’s forgotten contribution was the gaps between these fascinating bits.
Ellis’s screenplays and TV scripts are in the same league as plays written in China under Mao. Propaganda glorifying the party and its leaders.
His first book Goodbye Jerusalem was pulped because it was lies. The second, Goodbye Babylon, was about … the Labor Party.
- I believe some of Ellis’s awards came out of a desire by those who voted for him to settle a bet as to whether he would make it up to the stage.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 07:53 PM • permalink
- Should also comment on this:
His present message is that certain things should not be said about Hillary’s sex life. This does not apply, however, to Bill’s sex life, or Cheryl Kernot’s, or Troy Buswell’s
.The sexual sins of Bill, Kernot and Buswell are facts. Ellis’s comments on Hillary and oral sex are pure fiction created by Ellis himself.
Using Bob’s logic, Mrs Buswell is at fault for denying Troy the “pleasure” of sniffing her chairs?
And ever the propagandist for Labor, Bob mentions Kernot but not the Labor hero Gareth Evans she was banging. Was Mrs Evans denying Gareth his marital rights? Maybe we should ask her? Tell her Bob reckons that’s the case.
- No StrippeRuddy columns from The Thrice-Moral Ellis so far…
You can’t hang me! I have a review comparing me to David Garrick! … Gene Kelly, The PiratePosted by richard mcenroe on 2008 05 07 at 07:57 PM • permalink
- #46 Margos,
He has the same hairdresser as John Pilger.
Snow Cone is jealous.
- Just how rooted is Ellis’ moral compass? Just what passes as “Moral writings?
This from the unleashed site (Whom Im currently having words with regaurding their “moderated” forum)
“..Well … he’s inadvertently become, I think, the focus of the new anti-Semitism, as the Howardite Australians practise it. By the same thought-process Hitler used to make marriage to a Jew a gaolable offence, the Howardite Australians (not you or I, comrade) have made conversion to Islam an unspeakable iniquity. But they’ve hidden the word ‘Islam’ beneath another word, a word without meaning, ‘terrorism’.
So if you married an Arab or embraced his creed you were thereafter thought iniquitous, abominable, unforgiveable, and if you did it publicly enough (as Hicks did through his published letters), you were flung in gaol for terrorism. And tortured. And called a killer by your Prime Minister and threatened with life, or death, in prison. And made a pariah once you were let go..
The Arabs are a Semitic people and our tendency now, since 9/11, is to treat them as the Germans did the Jews after the Reichstag fire; that is, anti-semitically: to randomly kill them, and lock them up without reason, and release them reluctantly, if at all, after years of torture. And anyone who joins their cause are treated like white Americans who ‘turned Indian’ as turncoats, heathens, traitors, betrayers of the tribe..”
I’d let him baby-sit my grandchildren. I’d go bushwalking with him. I’ll buy him and his dad and step-mum lunch at any Adelaide restaurant of their choice just to hear what he sounds like and what, after all this, he believes.
I might be terribly wrong but I think he’s a decent, wayward, ordinary man who has become, through ill-luck, buoyant energy, bad timing and George Bush’s particular post-alcoholic God-bothering neuroses, Australia’s Dreyfus..”
Bob hits bottom, drills…
He has about 20+ articles on this site.Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 07 at 08:20 PM • permalink
- I remember that one year, Blair almost won a crikey award for best blog, on account of risking his life for free speech and all. Alas, he was ultimately passed over on account of his still being alive.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 08:39 PM • permalink
- Whether or not Hilary does or doesn’t. One thing is for sure: Bob is a cocksucker.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 07 at 08:42 PM • permalink
- #60 – you mean this image.
- More background on the distilled wisdom of Bob Ellis from Nine’s Sunday Show.
It ranks with:
“Don’t you know who I am?”
Yep, that’s the gist of the entire column.Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 07 at 09:20 PM • permalink
TIM Blair said the Iraq War would bring oil prices down, and he still has his job.
He said there would be no humanitarian catastrophe in Iraq and now, with three million Iraqis living elsewhere, and a million of them, probably, dead, he still has his job.
Did Tim make these predictions?
At any rate, Ellis is the one who is prediction prone. He’s been mocked on more than one occasion by Gerard Henderson for prophesies that didn’t occur.Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 07 at 09:24 PM • permalink
- Columnist of the Year is not without its perks.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 07 at 09:42 PM • permalink
- Ellis is a classic case of someone who has struggled to make the transition from fiction to non-fiction.
Tragically, people can now check his facts online, and call him out publicly. This age was not built for Bob.Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 09:46 PM • permalink
- The 2003 Columnist of the Year was given a deserving parade.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 07 at 10:03 PM • permalink
NELSON READING PASSAGE FROM HER BOOK PENNY DREADFUL: In the version of events that he was broadcasting to our mutual friends, Bob had created a mythic contest between himself and my father. I didn’t understand that while the average affair lasts a few months, a feud has the potential to last a lifetime. For Bob there was more of a payoff in having my father as an adversary than in having me as a lover.
Dude, you are one sick puppy!
- …and celebrated his award in stylePosted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 10:10 PM • permalink
- THAT was his response? What childish drivel!!!Posted by nofixedabode on 2008 05 07 at 10:17 PM • permalink
- Ellis could always try modellingPosted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 10:18 PM • permalink
Stephen King anyone?
/Watch those book sales, even though King’s in “retirement”, drop like a stone..Posted by Gabriel Angelos on 2008 05 07 at 10:19 PM • permalink
- While we’re on the subject of Bob (suck my dick if you’re a patriot) Ellis, where were the Ladies supporting Hillary? There were a lot of men snickering about “Hey girls, it’s for your country”, but not one feminine comment about reciprocal arrangements.
If Billy Boy had been a Practising Master of the unfortunately seldom seen Art of Cunning Linguistics, it could be said that Hillary would have swept all before her in the race for the Democratic nomination like Boudicca against the Romans.
I know she lost eventually, but Boudicca is remembered with reverence and idolatry.
Remember gentlemen, it’s not just about you.
BTW, is there any truth to the rumour that Bob tried to buy a cigar from Billy Boy?
- OT Good read for those who like to fill in the blanksPosted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 07 at 11:08 PM • permalink
Carmen Lawrence reviews: Breath By Tim Winton.
That’s the Lawrence of amnesia.
So Bob may get another job soon.Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 07 at 11:20 PM • permalink
- #81 Outside court the victim said he felt let down by the ALP.Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 08 at 12:03 AM • permalink
- If I were looking after Hillary, there’d be a good chance she’d be so relaxed she’d sleep right through that 3am phone call.
- #51 Contrail
Ellis’s comments on Hillary and oral sex are pure fiction created by Ellis himself.
Bob’s specialty is fiction and speculation. That’s what he got his awards for. See my brilliantly-argued comment above.;)He doesn’t understand reality.
So Bob finally got the DTs huh?
Hahahahahahahaha!Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 08 at 04:06 AM • permalink
- #52, For a moment I thought that by “an Ernie” you meant the Ern O’Malley award, very appropriate since Ern O’Malley was a made-up writer, never existed.
The whole thing was a hoax perpetrated on the literary world. It would be most fitting to have an award like this made into an annual award and for Bob to be the inaugural winner.
Goodness knows we need something to balance the Logies.Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 08 at 04:10 AM • permalink
- #89 Carpefraise, there is something to ‘balance’ The Logies.
Made? Hey Bob, does the term ‘pretentious fuckwit’ ring a bell with you? Do you have a similar view of yourself? Can you describe yourself in terms other than ‘sanctimonious’ or ‘asshatted’?