The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 3rd, 2017 at 11:55 am
Go to the Briefing Room for live blogging direct from tonight’s Walkley Awards.
UPDATE. Ran into the SMH’s Andrew West last night, who told me his site had dropped its “Contrarian” title. Sure has; according to the SMH home page, Andrew’s site is now called “Poltiics”.
- Perhaps we could have the ‘Wankleys’ instead. Somehow I think that some of those other award winners will feature prominantly.Posted by Nic on 2005 12 01 at 01:49 AM • permalink
- I expect to win first/worst ‘Nguyen Van Tran’ joke award.
Let me know how I went 🙂Posted by Lucky Nutsacks on 2005 12 01 at 05:05 AM • permalink
- Deo Vindice – I have heard some pretty bad Van Nguyen jokes, particularly those including cricket metaphors (eg John Howard going in to bat for V.N., John Howard stepping up to the crease, dropping the ball etc.). You have plenty of competition on that front.Posted by lewisinnyc on 2005 12 01 at 12:12 PM • permalink
- Keerist! Bill Walkley must revolve in his grave about a million rpm when he sees this incestuous circle jerk take place each year. The greatest irony of all is that if Walkley was alive and operating today he’d probably be regularly flayed by most of the pretentious prats who flock to this annual gang-bang. He was, after all, an evil robber baron who was spent a lifetime gutting the Earth Mother for her precious juices. But hey, who said that “professional” (sic) journos couldn’t be bought: a plate of salmon, some indifferent plonk, a chance at being awarded some meaningless trinket and they spread with the best of ‘em.
- I wonder if SBS will cover the Used Car Dealer Awards next?
Maybe we could see Michelle Leslie announcing the Suttons Motors Shyster-of- the-Year Award for Outstanding Performance in flogging a lemon to a little old lady.
Well, it would have as much credibility as the Walkleys. Or perhaps I’m defaming used car dealers by making the comparison.
- Wasn’t Mike Carleton’s effort controversial, timely and hilarious? The assembled throng seemed to think so- pity they didn’t take him up on the idea. Late night news featuring pissed-up hacks being tasered and pepper-sprayed by the APS outside Kirribilli House (and a few of them being pitched in the drink) would’ve made my night. I never cease to be amazed at the pompous self-importance of these dingbats- as if the Attorney General could give a shit what Carleton (or any other Fairfax, SBS or ABC non-entity) has to say; much as they might try, I doubt if any of them could get arrested for jaywalking.
- Yes! Now I can see why the sedition laws MUST be opposed at all costs.
It’s so absolute ARSEHOLES like Mike Carleton can get away with the kind of crap he pulled last night.
Sadly, no journo’s in this country are gonna wind up behind bars, despite their desperate attention-seeking efforts to do so!
Tim Palmer looks like a fat Jack-the-Ripper!
- He’s being ironic, no?
*groan*Posted by Quentin George on 2005 12 02 at 01:49 AM • permalink
- Methinks Michael Carleton sucked down too much of the cheap red plonk last night.
Hope his Mrs gave him a good clip under the ear for making a fool of himself in public and causing her (and the viewers) to cringe in embarrassment.
If you ever needed proof that much of the media is full of lefty wankers, just look at all the faux laughter from the usual suspects at Carleton’s feeble effort at being funny.
What a waste of electricity.Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2005 12 02 at 02:22 AM • permalink
- Circle jerk this morning on radio gnats from moon flower Fran and her motley crew of Greg (let me guess maybe her favourite Prof Craven? not absolutely sure tho).Also along for the ride pal Glenn (Milne by chance?) and the lovely Michelle (Gratten the Griller).What a blast-a shared fantasy of the downfall of John Howard via “Lib dissenters”.
“They KNOW he’s about to go,the Costello supporters.” As for Howard supporters in the party ranks (like most of the voters in this country) there’s nothing for them anyway,so there’s a loosening of discipline”.
O.K. lets get this right the media said that if the senate was all Coalition there would be no dissent under the cold iron fist of the Prime Minister and his lieutenants.
Now the media are claiming that there’s too much dissent and the government is not unified…
- Andrew West’s page no longer has any title – it’s the new “no brand” blog.
Good reason for dropping the “Contrarian” conceit, as he seems also to have lowered his aspirations in general.
A clearing house of news, views, and the odd provocation, on local, national and global politics.
A clearing house? Nothing that a bit of prune juice won’t fix, I’m sure.
“…the odd provocation …” Yes, very odd indeed if anything provocative ever happens on West’s no-brand-blog.
- Probably an old joke, but the word “politics” comes from the Latin poli, meaning “the many,” and tics, meaning “tiny, bloodsucking insects.”Posted by Rittenhouse on 2005 12 02 at 09:04 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.