The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Will John Kerry ever find a Vietnam exit strategy?
Those who disagree with the Bush administration’s policies in Iraq face the same scornful charges that they are unpatriotic as Sen. John Kerry did 35 years ago when he spoke out against the Vietnam War, the Massachusetts Democrat said Saturday.
“I have come here today to reaffirm that it was right to dissent in 1971 from a war that was wrong. And to affirm that it is both a right and an obligation for Americans today to disagree with a president who is wrong, a policy that is wrong, and a war in Iraq that weakens the nation,” Kerry said to a standing ovation Saturday at Boston’s historic Faneuil Hall.
Possibly those ovating were Republicans, delighted that Kerry is thinking hard about running in ‘08.
- Kerry is an “and’’ophile. No single phrase will ever do, because another one pops into his head and he can’t resist joining them. It has the sound of oratory, he thinks. Posterity is listening. I myself recommend going to “or’’s :
“I come here today to reaffirm that it was right to dissent in 1971 from a war that was wrong or to affirm that is a right or an obligation to disagree with a President who is wrong, a policy that is wrong, or a war in Iraq that weakens the nation, whatever.’’
to taper off gradually, before returning to private life as a bus driver.
“Coming here today’’ is from the Gettysburg Address, which is what set him off looking for phrases to add.
“People will little remember’’ he didn’t remember.
- Kerry is yesterday’s news. He was supposed to be Mr. Electable in 2004, but despite a flood of helpful leaks from the Mary McCarthy’s of the Intelligence community still managed to lose to Chimpy McHaliburton.
At this point the smart money is on Hillary, and she has lots of it. Kerry is nearly as irrelevant today as Al Smith was in 1932.Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2006 04 23 at 11:36 AM • permalink
- Christian Schutze has an all-purpose speech that Kerry can use http://home.att.net/~rhhardin4/schutze.txt
(Stenciled Speech for All Occasions, cited by Adorno in _The Jargon of Authenticity_)
It lacks the trademark “and’’ sequences however.
- #1: “What a pretentious idiot.”
I would have said “f*cking idiot,” SN, but I bow to your more mature elegant phrasology. ;-p
I do have one question for JF’inK, however: Did you have to go to Stupid School, or is this a natural talent?Posted by Barbara Skolaut on 2006 04 23 at 11:58 AM • permalink
- We are already bombarded with media and democrat (pardon the redundancy) predictions of a clean sweep for the democrats in this year’s elections. Much the same as their predictions for ‘04 and ‘02. My gut tells me that as long as the democrats continue to advocate appeasement and treason as their policies in the war on terror, they will keep losing elections. Then we can again hear about how stupid the American people are for the next 2 years.
- Please. Please. Please.
As there is a God in Heaven, let John Kerry Run.
I so want to hear Kerry ragging on Hillary for her draft-dodger husband during the primaries.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 12:28 PM • permalink
I have come here today to reaffirm that it was right to dissent in 1971 from a war that was wrong
Whether it was wrong could be a matter of honest disagreement. But one does not have the right to lie.
Apparently Horseface hasn’t accepted the fact that his Winter Soldiers testimony was a lying slander on his brother soldiers. Or he doesn’t care. Which makes him either stupid, or treacherous. But don’t dare question his patriotism!
- John Kerry? or Al Gore? Who … should … I … support?Posted by wronwright on 2006 04 23 at 01:25 PM • permalink
- From Ending History by Hillary Rodham Clinton (typewritten manuscript recovered in 2013…)
I could hardly breathe. Gulping for air, I started crying and yelling at him, ‘What do you mean? What are you saying? Why did you lie to me? I was furious and getting more so by the second… but Ahmedinajad launched the second missile anyway.”Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 01:44 PM • permalink
- Another great American military hero did in fact condemn the Civil War in 1864: General McClellan. He even tried to run for President on it…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 02:57 PM • permalink
- YES! Kerry Picks Up Key Endorsement!
The Republic is SAVED!Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 04:03 PM • permalink
- There’s nothing upperclass about either of those clowns. A jumped-up lace-curtain Mick grown fat on a runrunner’s fortune and a pretentious eurotrash gigolo (Kerry ain’t the original family name). The back of your hand to both of ‘em.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 05:40 PM • permalink
- Methinks all that Botox has penetrated into Lurch’s brain. But if Kennedy wants to support him in 2008, send him another case of cheap gin, says I.Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 04 23 at 05:50 PM • permalink
Good afternoon and welcome to Hurlingham Park.
You join us just as the competitors are running out onto the field on this lovely winter’s afternoon here, with the going firmunderfoot and very little sign of rain. Well it certainly looks as though we’re in for a splendid afternoon’s sport in this the 127th Upperclass Twit of the Year Show. Well the competitors will be off in a moment so let me just identify for you.
(camera zooms in on the competitors)
Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith has an O-level in chemo-hygiene. Simon-Zinc-Trumpet-Harris, married to a very attractive table lamp. Nigel Incubator-Jones, his best friend is a tree, and in his spare time he’s a stockbroker. Gervaise Brook-Hampster is in the Guards, and his father uses him as a wastepaper basket. And finally Oliver St John-Mollusc, Harrow and the Guards, thought by many to be this year’s outstanding twit.
Now they’re moving up to the starting line, there’s a jolly good crowd here today.
Now they’re under starter’s orders…and they’re off…
…Ah no, they’re not.
No they didn’t realize they were supposed to start. Never mind, we’ll soon sort that out, the judge is explaining it to them now. I think Nigel and Gervaise have got the idea.
All set to go…
- Plain and simple…Kerry is an elitist piece of shit….He’s is on every side of every argument. Got himself four medals three of which were for ‘wounds’ that required no stays at medical facilities. The fourth medal required Kerry to be on his knees for a period of time.
AND has yet, for close to OR over a year, since he promised the fat bastard Tim Russert, to release his full military record.
PLUS he’s married to a fucking witch. Is friends with a Senator who killed a young lady…and a former Presidential candidate who stated on TV (in a debate) when asked if someone raped and killed his wife, would he want the death penalty for the person convicted…this asshole said NO.
Other then that, being a bit more guttural then Spiny Norman…John Kerry is a fucking idiot.
- If only a magic hat could get us out of this mess! Does the Peterman catalogue still carry the Urban Sombrero?Posted by andycanuck on 2006 04 23 at 07:08 PM • permalink
- If the Dems run Kerry in 2008, they’ll lose. If they run John Edwards, they’ll lose. And if they run Hillary, they’ll lose. Why? Because Senators have never run anything but their own mouths, and only one has won the Presidency from the Senate (JFK, 1960).
If the Dems are smart (and I’m not betting they are), they’ll run a conservative southern or mid-western governor in 2008.Posted by Oafish and Infantile on 2006 04 23 at 07:22 PM • permalink
- Richard @ 10
“Lurch” as Spiro Agnew!!!
“Are we now to descend, like latter-day Spiro Agnews, as he did, to the worst instincts of divisiveness and reaction that still haunt America? Are we now going to create a new scarlet letter in the context of Vietnam?” 138 Cong Rec S2479 2/27/92
All those people in the little boats might have something to say.
Wronwright. Vote for both-early and often.
Jimmy Carter is still eligible, isn’t he?
God, PW, don’t do that to me!!! My heart almost went into fibrillation when I read that. I’d rather import Mark Latham for the next President.Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 04 23 at 08:21 PM • permalink
- Dig this jawdropper from Lurch’s speech:
Then, and even now, there were many alarmed by dissent—many who thought that staying the course would eventually produce victory—or that admitting the mistake and ending it would embolden our enemies around the world. History disproved them before another decade was gone: Fourteen years elapsed between the first major American commitment of helicopters and pilots to Vietnam and the fall of Saigon. Fourteen years later, the Berlin Wall fell, and with it the Communist threat. You cannot tell me that withdrawing from Vietnam earlier would have changed that outcome.
Millions of boat people and dead Cambodians weren’t available for comment.
- Lurch neglects to remember the world-wide sweep of victorious Comuunism during the late 70s in the years after South Vietnam and the US lost the war there. Lots of African coutnries went over to the USSR, thinking the the Commies were on a roll and winning. In Latin America they got a big boost, and took over Nicaragua. Even some European countries teetered on the brink, and the Euros were thrown into such a panic that appeasement and preemptive disarmament became the order of the day. Only after Reasgan’s election and the steps his administration took did things turn around.
If it had ben left up to Lurch and his comrades the USSR would still be around and the US would still be in the cringing appeasment mode Carter had us in. Kerry was wrong in 1971 and he is wrong today.Posted by Michael Lonie on 2006 04 23 at 10:28 PM • permalink
- Sean M. — Hey, come on, Kerry went on national teevee in 71 and told us there’d be 5-6,000 refugees tops, remember?Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 04 23 at 11:38 PM • permalink
- Calls to mind the brilliant Peter Sellars monologue, Party Political Speech. If you haven’t heard this imagine it spoken in an elderly, faltering, High Tory voice:
My friends, in the light of present-day developments, let me say right away that I do not regard existing conditions lightly. On the contrary, I have regarded them as subjects of the gravest responsibility, and shall ever continue to do so. Indeed, I will even go further and state quite categorically that I am more than sensible of the definition of the precise issues which are at this moment concerning us all. We must build, but we must build surely.
Let me say just this. If any part of what I say is challenged, then I am more than happy to meet that challenge, for I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever I have said in the past, or what I am saying now, is the exact, literal and absolute truth as to the state of the case. I put it to you that this is not a time for vague promises of better things to come, for if I were to convey to you a spirit of false optimism then I should be neither fair to you nor true to myself. But does mean, I hear you cry, that we can no longer look forward to the future that is to come? Certainly not!
Grasp, I beseech you, with both hands — oh, I’m sorry, I beg your pardon, Madam — the opportunities that are offered. Let us assume a bold front and go forward together. Let us carry the fight against ignorance the four corners of the earth, because it is a fight which concerns us all. And now finally, my friends, in conclusion, let me say just this…
I think this may be (c) Max Schreiner approx 1962.Posted by walterplinge on 2006 04 24 at 06:55 AM • permalink
- Repeal the 22nd! Bush-Kerry Rematch Deathmatch! Whooooooo!
THRILL as Kerry wets his trousers!
CHEER as Bush pulls Kerry’s head out of Kerry’s own ass!
HEAVE as Kerry is split open and NO GUTS spill out!Posted by Monroe Doctrine on 2006 04 24 at 10:46 AM • permalink
“We are in the same place as we were when I came home from Vietnam and spoke out against the civilian leaders who were willing to sacrifice America’s best in the interest of political self-preservation,” he said.
You only wish we were in the same place, John. Take off your tinfoil magic hat and get a clue. Idiot.
While you Ozzies argueably dodged the bigger bullet in the last election, I think everyone would have to agree that we dodged a pretty big one.Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2006 04 24 at 01:53 PM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
What a pretentious idiot.