The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Kofi Annan wants to reform the UN. Australian troops know that it isn’t that easy:
Australian soldiers drew arms to protect themselves from Jordanian peacekeepers after a Digger blew the whistle on other Jordanian soldiers’ sexual abuse of East Timorese boys.
Corporal Andrew Wratten had to be evacuated and Australian commandos sent to protect Diggers in Oecussi, an East Timorese province in Indonesian West Timor, after he told the UN of the pedophilia that occurred in May 2001.
Those peacekeepers possibly misunderstand their role.
(Via Davo in comments)
- Nic — Well, America accepts Jordanian immigrants. Perhaps she can damn us for encouraging them…Posted by richard mcenroe on 03/21 at 10:40 AM • permalink
- Where’s Salim when we need him?Posted by richard mcenroe on 03/21 at 11:55 AM • permalink
- The story is interesting, but why does the Vodafone ad that comes with it feature Yassir Arafat?Posted by JorgXMcKie on 03/21 at 12:04 PM • permalink
- The protestors who held signs this weekend alluding to Abu Graib should be protesting this too. Otherwise they’re nothing more than hypocritical attention seeking wankers with a urgent need to feel morally superior to something, anything.
They probably did. I just didn’t see the signs.
Which means it’s probably my fault.Posted by wronwright on 03/21 at 12:13 PM • permalink
- Maybe they should switch from blue to purple helmets.Posted by Jim Treacher on 03/21 at 04:38 PM • permalink
- Mr Magoo, don’t forget the incident with the Jordanian having to be surgically removed from a goat in East Timor.
(a quick google hasn’t come up with anything on this but I recall it being discussed on the ABC of all places)Posted by ArtVandelay on 03/21 at 11:22 PM • permalink
- Salim or mushtaq_omar are indeed conspicuously absent from this thread. I would have expected some comments from them.
I’m curious, though; has anyone heard about goat shortages in East Timor? Perhaps some one should donate a couple thousand as Jordanian auxillaries.Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 03/22 at 01:28 AM • permalink
- Re the goat incident, I recall a guest on the Glasshouse (I know, it’s embarrassing but I only watched it once) telling the story. She had just returned from East Timor and I think had heard it from the Aussie soldiers who had to rescue the guy.Posted by ArtVandelay on 03/22 at 02:11 AM • permalink
Like the brave soldier who stood up to these filth. Somehow I doubt it. The abusers weren’t American.