The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Phillip Adams lashes out:
Let me be the last to congratulate my colleague Janet Albrechtsen on her elevation to the ABC board. Given that the Prime Minister might well have chosen other newspaper columnists Miranda Devine, Piers Akerman, Tim Blair, Andrew Bolt, Imre Salusinszky, Christopher Pearson or Gerard Henderson, Albrechtsen was clearly the stand-out candidate.
I haven’t been a newspaper columnist for some time. As usual, Phillip needs to pay closer attention.
Much has been made of the fact that Albrechtsen is a Murdoch columnist. So are, or have been, all of the above. Should this bar her – or them – from appointment to high office? Of course not. After all, I’ve been at the ABC for many years – but have spent many more writing for Rupert. I would have thought that my time as a Murdoch pundit exceeds the combined totals of Albrechtsen, Bolt, Akerman, Devine, Pearson, Blair and Bolt.
Former commie Phillip’s wealth sure exceeds the combined totals of Albrechtsen, Bolt, Akerman, Devine, Pearson, Blair and Bolt.
Just where Albrechtsen stands, or rather sits, will be revealed in due course. Frankly, I fear for her.
Janet is a friend of mine, and I fear for her too; I’d hate for that ABC board membership to neuter her sharp views. First task for Janet: kick off Radio National anybody worth $20 million who is hauling in $120,000 of taxpayers’ money per year for four hours each week of lame, unlistenable radio.
- Tim- in the USA, we have “National Public Radio,” which is tax-supported, and has long, excrutiating pledge drives twice a year during which they plead poverty and beg for funds to continue fighting the good fight. Imagine my surprise when a read a recent article about the salaries of some of their radio “personalities”, which go over $200,000 a year. It’s good to fight the good fight and be well paid for it.Posted by Mystery Meat on 02/28 at 03:31 PM • permalink
- For someone who supports capitalism you sure sound like a leftwinger who has envy of people who has more wealth than you..
I don’t listen to Adams but I do note he has some of the highest ratings for RN.
Certainly it beats your effort which I did listen to.
Adams and Albrectson have one thing in common. They are both plagiarists.
In this instance at least Adams is an accurate one where Albrectson is a omst inaccurate one.Posted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 05:08 PM • permalink
- Albrechtsen is not a plagiarist, Homer. She quite easily demolished the arguments of that scumbag Marr.
Off course, Homer the point about Mr Admas’ riches is that he is a hypocrite for not giving them all away to the Government to spend on equla opportunity programmes for left-handed lesbian single parents with halitosis.
- Gravelly look at the radio ratings.
Toryhere2, she did not even address the issues. She not only plagiarized but worse put the opposite view of the authors concerned.
Jusy another lazy researcherPosted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 05:23 PM • permalink
- Some proof of your allegations would be nice, Mr. Paxton.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 02/28 at 05:28 PM • permalink
- Someone’s being a little disingenuous here. Jealousy of wealth is not the issue. I think Adams is an absolute hypocrite with his incessant class warfare and his frequent reference to wealth as somehow being sleazy. And his constant denigration of “rich toffs” who send their kids to rich toffs’ schools. Many are simply not rich, but forgo things like home mortgages and new cars, while Adams loves Ferraris and expensive art but nobly sends his child to a local public school. That makes him better. Good luck to him for making money out of advertising in his early career, but since then he’s been a huge beneficiary of public money – particularly when his Labor mates were in power and gave him plenty of cushy jobs. Remember the goverment’s Life Be In It campaign? For chrissakes, they hire a fat couch potato to promote exercise!Posted by Hamish McFootpath on 02/28 at 05:46 PM • permalink
RN has 26 listeners if it is lucky. 2.5% of the radio audience is a very small number.
Maybe you didn’t realise that Ms Albrechtsen did two articles on the MW issue: one attackes Marr’s programme for being biased, the other answers MW’s plagiarism charges.
On another point, you never saw the media complain when Hawke and Keating appointed useles ALP cronies to government posts. Wasn’t the egregious M r Bannon given a seat on the ABC board?
- Poor old phatty: the walrus in his death roll. In the meantime, please pass on heartfelt congratulations to Janet Albrechtsen. I hope she doesn’t spend too much time and energy on that white elephant – just enough to remind the lefties that the ABC is not their exclusive property. And check out the former 4-Corners producer in today’s Age letters: a mouth-frothing Howard-hater who genuinely believes that ABC anti-Coalition bias is necessary to prevent Australia from turning into “some sort of dictatorship”.
Take it easy on Homer, hes still a little fragile after his hero, Iron Mark turned out to be made of glass.
The Albretchsen issue is the lefts classic post modernists approach to history and politics.
The ALP when in power stacked the board with Labor identities, Bannon and Rod Cameron are two that spring to mind but heaven forbid if the Libs do it, its somehow unacceptable and there are screeches for a independant ABC board.
Whats the point of a independent board when the when the ABC staff are so partisan, if the ABC were even remotely balanced then it would be difficult to argue against an independant board.
Adams is irrelevent, being a high rating RN host is like being captain of the Canadian cricket team, of no consequence to the main game in any shape or form.
Homer, don’t you think that if Adams is one of the higher rating hosts of RN, then RN is up shit creek without a paddle and more importantly, when will RN endeavour to become relevant to the other 97.5% of the radio audience.
- This scandalous character assasination has been going on all week. First with ABC nightly newsreader…recycled channel ten bimbo…Juanita whatever, then with fat, rich, Marxist, Tony Jones, then with the incredibly irritating Virginia Trioli in her back-to-back appearance on the Insiders program, and now with fatty Adams!
It constantly amazes me how it’s apparently OK for the taxpayer funded commentariate to indulge in egregious vilification, however when others do, they are promptly and righteously condemned for underming diversity, stifling debate, censorship and all the other predictable hysterics. Can you imagine what these very same hypocrites would be saying if someone like Margo Kingston was offered an ABC Board position to those who opposed that!?
- Err I always thought it was a person’s right to determine what they do with their money but apparently lefties writing here wish to determine what Adams does with his money.
I merely suggest people look at the radio ratings. I did say Adams was one of RN’s highest rates not that he had high ratings.
the atempt by Albrectson to avoid the issue is on the mediawatch website.
I see people can criticie Adams for plagiarising but just can’t get around to doing the same to young Janet.
She couldn’r even get it right either.
As for the ABC board Gerry Henderson would have been a much better appointment.
He actually possess an intellect.Posted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 08:25 PM • permalink
Albrechtson is just a running target to be used by the left when it suits. Lets go through some of the incongruent behaviour:
More women in maangement positions now! Vs not Albrechtson
The ABC will be wrecked! Vs the reality that Albrecht represents only 1 vote in a committee that has a mixture of views.
She is a plagarist! Vs the fact that Marr who views this as a heinous act, couldn’t be even bothered to make similar claims about worse transgressions from Adams
Uphold the rights of women Vs being called a smelly whore with nary a peep from the left.
Homer, you can say what you like. The left is full of what others should do, though when it comes to actually playing fair, they have two standards. In this case, they are playing the woman and not the ball.
- Nic: to give the devil his due, Marr did once spend a couple of minutes giving Phatty a very limp slap on the wrist for his uncredited borrowings, with about the same relish as a toddler swallowing castor oil. He then used this to segue straight into a gleeful reprise of the boot-job he had earlier done on JA. Clever-dick Marr tried to popularize the term “to Albrecht” for these borrowings. Funny how he chose this in preference to “to Adams”.
- It seems to me it is peole here that have double standards.
young Janet was caught quite easily bt the supercilious David Marr.
She is a lazy researcher who obviously knew she had been caught.
By all means put a conservative on the board but put one on who is not lazy and has an intellect.
Gerry Henderson would be ideal.
mind you you need a decent CEO to rea;;y change it and hasn’t this government shown it can pick them.Posted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 09:26 PM • permalink
- Of course Philly Four-Course is mad. He just found out the original of “The Scream” did not have MacCauley Caukin model for it, which makes the one on his wall kind of questionable…
Ioxymoron — Haven’t you ever heard of doing well by doing good?
Doing really, really well…
Of course, the real money’s in NGO’s…Posted by richard mcenroe on 02/28 at 09:42 PM • permalink
- LNL is hardly lame or unlistenable – fair go. Did anyone here the show with Daniel Pipes? Or recent shows with Krauthammer on? It’s certainly a solid alternative to the late night shows on 2UE or 2GB.
As for Albrechtsen – wouldn’t it be more sensible to appoint someone with a history in radio programming and production?
- Not forgetting the blues program on 2MBSFM on monday night!Posted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 10:34 PM • permalink
- By the way, nwab, the ABC already has programmers and producers. Not that many of them are any good. The role of a director of the corporation is not to produce or direct; it is to plan and oversee implementation of strategies and policies.
My concern is how can one change the mindset permeating the ABC, and I think only a strong CEO can probably do this. It’s not so much the left-wing mentality, irritating though this is, but the intellectual torpor and mediocrity. With its budget, the ABC chould be more innovative and experimental, lead the way in Australian broadcasting. There are lots of exciting things being done by community broadcasters on the smell of an oilrag, that we don’t see happening in the national braodcaster with all its resources. What we get from everybody’s ABC is grey institutional broadcasting from a grey boring public institution.
- another man with taste in Sydanee.
Welldone!Posted by Homer Paxton on 02/28 at 10:53 PM • permalink
- homer is a north shore boy? gees, another middle-class twat with working class pretensions.Posted by Deo Vindice on 03/01 at 01:44 AM • permalink
- Eastwood north Shore?
Are you kidding me.
The only goodthing about the working class is getting out of it!Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 02:00 AM • permalink
- “Some proof of your allegations would be nice, Mr. Paxton.”
Homers a drone,what ever the headline is, is enough. Details are irrelevant.
“The only goodthing about the working class is getting out of it! “
err! you have to IN before you can get OUT. Bull shitting your way to get your name on a few papers that in the end you had no input, is not the same.
- Err I always thought it was a person’s right to determine what they do with their money but apparently lefties writing here wish to determine what Adams does with his money.
I know you’re not the sharpest knife in the drawer Homer (or at least pretend not to be), so let’s do this once again: Nobody here is wishing to “determine what Adams does with his money”, we’re calling him a hypocrite for not doing with his money what he would only too happily want to do with other people’s money. If you have trouble with that extremely easy concept, I’m afraid there’s not much we can do to help you.
- Gary ,
Have a look at the Mediawatch website.
I know the phonic system has done you terribly but try it you may just get there.
What a person does with his money and taxes are two different things!Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 04:01 AM • permalink
- Pauly, you obviously have never been to the site.
They publish all the correspondence.Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 04:25 AM • permalink
- “Have a look at the Mediawatch website.”
I have but that’s not what I’m disputing. What I am stating is your versions/assertions are proven far from reality in there half truths.
“I know the phonic system has done you terribly but try it you may just get there.”
Oh! I’m aware of my inabilities. That’s why if I found out my kids lecturer handed over essays to an unqualified friend to mark. I would head to the relevant authorities to have the sacked. By the way what is the name of your ‘friend’ in academia?
“What a person does with his money and taxes are two different things!”
“you sure sound like a leftwinger”
- Hey Magoo, your point about Albrechtsen is fair – perhaps a radio production background is not necessary for the role she’s been appointed to. But does she have any experience as a director of a corporation?
You’d reckon that would be a prerequisite for a role on the board of the national broadcaster. Surely there are qualified professionals out there with corporate experience up their sleeves who can steer the ABC in the right direction. Or perhaps the appointment of a media figure with a public profile is designed to stir people up. Makes sense politically. But is it good for the ABC?
- homie, what’s your take on the whole ‘iron’ mark latham ‘boo-hoo i have a stomach-ache i’m insane’ kerfuffle/shemozzle? are you keeping him warm and safe? make sure you read him stories that aren’t too confronting ok?Posted by Deo Vindice on 03/01 at 05:27 AM • permalink
I marked essays at Macquarie University and the lecturer was Kim Hawtrey.
I got paid and have the group certificates to prove it.
rosceo. Panreatitis is very painful and my father-in-law who was a doctor says coming so close after the first attack there is no way Iron Mark could continue.
young Janet not only tried to say someone elses words were her own but was so lazy she didn’t find out that her assertions of the evidence were completely different to what she was saying.Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 05:42 AM • permalink
- Janet has often been attacked by Adams and his ilk.
the worst case i remember was during the trial of the Sydney gang rapists.
to their eternal shame, the Sydney intelligentsia and the MSM were more concerned about keeping the status quo on multiculturism and political “correctness” than defend the rights of young women not to be gang raped sinply because they are seen as sluts by islamofascist racist gangs.
Because she drew attention to Muslim gang rapes that have occured in europe. namely france, Norway, Sweden, she wss cast as a xenophobic racist by the likes of Adams, ABC et al.
In Norway it is the victims that were blamed by elements of the press for not changing their dress to accomodate the “views” of the Muslim immigrants.
there is little compassion for the brave young women who have had to suffer ordeals of gang rape and then testifiy in court whilst being threatened by the victims and their families.
Indeed it seems that the only compassion from much of the MSM is for the aggressors.
- Phil’s getting about six hundred dollars an hour by my calculations.
Pretty sweet.Posted by Quentin George on 03/01 at 06:02 AM • permalink
- If Homer cannot see the benefits of Albrechtsen’s contributions to the national debate, and at the same time admit that Adams is (while talented) inclined to left idiocy with his all too often appearing mates and rather infrequent highlights, then his own contribution is reduced to that of a spoiler role. One which he seems to enjoy and keep coming back to reprise.
I would be more generous and welcoming to our ongoing discussions if I sensed a bit more insight.
Obsessive reading of MediaWatch transcripts is not a good sign. Allegations of admiring Latham don’t do much for one’s image either. But attempting to be dismissive of Janet is plain foolhardy. And do try and spell her name correctly, there’s a good paper marker.
I’m inclined to take it easy on you because theres no question that you’re still bleeding after Iron Marks public meltdown but I have to say this.
Old pea heart (the former member for Werriwa) seems to be more likely suffering from a broken heart, his lifes ambition scuppered by Howard, the Green Valley boy made good, Goughs protege just couldn’t bring himself to face the media or Howard in the chamber.
From Oct 10 last year, he was missing in action, you say that the illness brought about his resignation, that was in late Dec, but what about the two months before that………………where was Wally?
His meglomania wouldn’t allow him to accept the election result, so he took his bat and ball and went home.
Iron Mark has the heart the size of a carroway seed.
- Bryla, continue to make offensive comments like that (or troll like you are doing in other posts) and you’ll be banned.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 03/01 at 08:19 AM • permalink
- hauling in $120,000 of taxpayers’ money per year for four hours each week of lame, unlistenable radio.
Man, how can I get a gig like this? And I would be listenable. I’m busting my bust for 50K a year, before taxes. Why am I paying for these taxeaters. (Well, not Phillip exactly, since I’m not in Australia, but in principle.)Posted by Jabba the Tutt on 03/01 at 08:31 AM • permalink
- Andrea Harris, I’m just trying to fit the style of what I see on this list.
I guess “offensive” is in the eye of the beholder.
e.g. from the “Riot Explained” post
“Admittedly, while it’s not in the greatest interest of car owners, I would be happy to see every single car thief die at the wheel. Low life garbage who don’t deserve anything better than a self-inflicted capital punishment. Beautiful result.” from You Bet
“That two of the litle shits have been removed from this world before they grow into fully developed sociopaths is a blessing. Its a pity that the whole estate can’t be bulldozed with the residents still sleeping off last night’s post welfare cheque bender.”
This kind of talk is acceptable, but I’ll be banned if I continue?
BTW what is a “troll”?
- A “troll” is someone who enters a discussion list to stir up trouble and bring attention to himself. In other words, you. Usually I ban such and delete their IDs right away, but I think I’ll let the people here play with you a little longer. Have at it, gang!Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 03/01 at 09:28 AM • permalink
- More pixie than troll I fear. Given his ISP is in Cairns, I’d say he’s one of the dreadlocked bong-addled rainforest creatures that now infest the FNQ hinterland, selling ugly geegaws and low grade weed to idiot backpackers; given his age, he may have even been one of the ferals we duffed up a treat at Cedar Bay in 1975 (before my time, but many of the old hands look back on that operation with much nostalgia). Here’s a tip- it may be made by a horrible multinational but Malawash is much more effective at controlling fleas and ticks than rubbing yourself with lemon thyme.
- Bryla — Many cameras these days have a panoramic setting, so you can see all the Phil (and almost all the Phil there is) you want.Posted by richard mcenroe on 03/01 at 10:26 AM • permalink
- Adams is a piece of toxic, pathetic shit. The people he defames should simply sue the arse off him. It worked with the disgustibg Bob Ellis. Tt would work with Addams.Posted by Susan Norton on 03/01 at 10:40 AM • permalink
- And YES Tim!
Make a big deal about this guy’s obscene wealth.
I don’t have any problem at all with rich people. Although I am not wealthy myself, I’d like to be. Most of the well-off are wealthy because they seize opportunities, take risks and work hard, and deserve everything they have. That is certainly true of the well-off in my family. They should be able to enjoy it too, but for people like Mr. Adams and their constant, self-righteous evangelizing.
Like I said, I don’t have any problem at all with the rich…it’s HYPOCRITES I hate! And rich, fat, decadent Mr. Adams is certainly that! Adams and his ilk go on and on about the evils of capitalism, and commercialism, and the gulf between rich and poor, and the immoral distribution of wealth, and the haves and the have-nots, while at the same time he has amassed an enormous fortune, only matched by his evidently enoromous consumption and resultant girth. All his ill-gotten gains would be “obscene” if they belonged to others, but not to him? How does he get away with it!?
How does he get away with it!?
He appears to be chief Sneer-leader for the Chardonnay Socialists, and that seems to give him some latitude.Posted by Hamish McFootpath on 03/01 at 09:24 PM • permalink
- Frankly the Albrechtsen appointment, is a reward for being such a loyal right wing attack dog. I despise her, however, exersise my right to ignore her vitriol and hate.
Who cares if Adams is rich? Albrechtsen is rich also (not as rich). At one stage it was claimed that her salary was in excess of $700,000 a year as a lawyer, but so what? Good on her for being a success.
Adams is highly paid, but also has the ratings to justify this expense.
I know that all of you wouldn’t give a stuff if Janet Albrechtsen, or any other rightwinger suddenly became the LNL presenter. Would you?Posted by David_Heidelberg on 03/01 at 09:31 PM • permalink
- Ratings for what? RN doesn’t even appear on the radar for audience share in any capital city, and his columns in the Oz are mainly read by RWDB bloggers looking for something to poke fun at. He may rate highly with enviromentalists, as he represents about 72% of the total biomass of continental Australia- not a lot of diversity though.
- that is hypebole.
Look at his ratings in comparison to the rest of RN programs.
if you don’t listen to him he won’t have a gig!Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 10:13 PM • permalink
- comparing to other RN programs merely illustrates how parlous the rest of their output is. If the ABC isn’t a sheltered workshop for the terminably uninteresting, it should be compared with other media in the same genre, and it’s failure is total; or should it be regarded as being different, because all the other stations cater to morons while the ABC caters to the smug and clever? (Since when has lack of an audience caused anything at the ABC to dissapear? The apallingly juvenile Glass House rates slightly higher than the SBS test pattern, but is back for another season of inane drivel).
- Habib, If JA or Tim Blair, or any other Right wing commentator had Adam’s gig, would you care what they were paid, or indeed, what their ratings were?Posted by David_Heidelberg on 03/01 at 10:44 PM • permalink
- Actually I listened to timbo and Imre when they were there.
Unfortunately they didn’t possess Adams’s prefessionalism on radio and they sank.
Adams is good on radio you have to give him that.
Can’t write for anything, thatis when he isn’t plagiarising.Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 10:50 PM • permalink
- Heidelberg, surely you know the reason people mock Adams’s wealth. He seems to be your country’s version of a limousine liberal; a rich toff who goes around lecturing the hardworking bourgeois about their lack of compassion for the poor, which only he can truly feel since he is an Artist™. But then aren’t you one of Margo Kingfish’s (or whatever her name is) hangers-on?Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 03/01 at 10:54 PM • permalink
- Homer, considering the reliability of everything else you said here, I rather doubt that “timbo” and Imre were less professional than Adams. After all, we only have your word on it so far, and you are–?Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 03/01 at 10:55 PM • permalink
- Madame Andrea, firstly what reliability are you on about?
Secondly they were new to radio. Very few people can be professional ie competent radio presenters. A lot of journos try but fail.
They failed. They talents just aren’t in radio.Posted by Homer Paxton on 03/01 at 11:02 PM • permalink
- I really liked Tim and Imre on The Continuing Crisis – sad to see it taken off – thought it must have been a political stoush inside the ABC, since (as others have observed) having little or no audience hardly matters to the abc, and in fact having a bleeding heart artsy left point of view seems to guarantee a job for life there.
“loyal right wing attack dog”
Caring liberals seem to frequently reach for canine metaphores when it comes to conservative females. I’ve read Albrechtsen and Adams in equal doses over the years and, while they are clearly in opposite political camps, the nastiest vitriol and the most personal (and always unsubstantiated) slurs have been from Adams.
Even when that obnoxious misogynist Mark Latham called her a whore, subsequent references to Latham in her columns stuck to the political. So while I may not agree with her consistently conservative views, I see her as a professional columnist.
As opposed to Adams, whose seething hatreds seem to intoxicate every sentence he writes.
Female + conservative = [name your] dog.
Pissweak. Really pissweak.Posted by Hamish McFootpath on 03/02 at 07:07 PM • permalink
- Habib, it’s nice to consider the ABC as a sheltered workshop but really this implies some sort of activity. I prefer to imagine it as a sunset home for the terminally untalented and prematurely senile. A sort of Blue Mountains haven where the sun always shines and there’s tea and tim tams for bloated socialist millionaires on their last legs; unpleasant reality does not penetrate or disrupt the tranquility; totally forgotten and quietly mouldering away – unwatched, unwanted, unloved and uncared for.
- I’m coming late to this stoush, but the main thing about Adamski is that he is the Old Flagship of the ABC Protected Workshop Fleet. They don’t dare pension these off because they might have to appoint someone with truly liberal opinions at last.
He actually believes that the role of the government-funded ABC is to ‘balance’ the dangerously right-wing FREE press and radio in Australia. So socialist-funded media is properly socialist in its thinking, and rightly full of dim-left propaganda, and we should all commend him for saying so. That’s the true measure of his ‘liberalism’….
The journalists he rails against are nearly all employed by private enterprises because they reflect the real world of their readers. He hates that idea. Adamski is like one of the eternally-funded ‘left writers’ art collectives’, a freedom fighter in his own warped little imagination.
As for ratings, he himself refers to his ‘little radio show’ without any irony or shame, or fear of sacking….