The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
* Alison Broinowski warns that Australia may face disaster if we oppose the UN: “When the US imperium ends, as it will, or when it clashes with China, as it may, Australia will need the UN and the boundaries that stand between us and chaos.” When Alison shuts up, which she won’t, we might consider her previous wise claims.
* Is Europe getting the Dubya message? John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge believe so.
* “Ten million Afghans voted for the first time. Indonesia, the world’s biggest Muslim nation, held a stable, orderly presidential poll. And a ham-fisted attempt to rort elections in the Ukraine was overturned by popular demand. As the year ends, these were all encouraging signals of the spread of the democratic impulse around the world.” – The Age’s Tony Parkinson.
* “There have been worse years in recent history than 2004, but not many.” – Professor John Quiggin, the original Mr. Misery Pants.
* Norm Geras reviews the Guardian’s year. Brave man.
* Nice piece from Alastair Moffitt on Australian F1 driver Mark Webber, who this year will drive for the speedy Williams team: “Michael Schumacher has yet to come head to head with Webber in anything close to resembling a competitive situation. When that finally happens, the great seven-time world champion may finally find a rival with more determination, guts and bloody-mindedness than himself.”
* Was interviewed on 2UE yesterday by Paul Kidd and George Moore. Subject: blogging. Both of them read blogs (Sullivan is a favourite), so it was a fun, informed chat. Afterwards, an email arrived from musician Roz, who was inspired by the interview to create her own site; behold SpiritualBlog! I encourage peace.
* Bogus tsunami images are circulating.
* Reader Dave S. urges comments mavens to launch their own sites: “The comments sections is AAA ball. Go to The Show.”
* The inaugural Jewish and Israeli Blog Awards are underway. Nominations phase. So go nominate.
* N.Z. Bear proposes a spend-and-help plan for tsunami-hit economies, with particular blog-related angles. Please visit.