The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 02:16 pm
The Independent, usually dismissive of fundy types, reveals a new respect for fundamentalist religion:
From the accompanying article:
Mr Nawab, 28, is from Plaistow and works on the London Underground. He is a British-born Indian and, until recently, lived what he described as a Western lifestyle, staying out late with his friends, and often missing prayers.
No longer. For he is among a massive wave of young British pilgrims arriving here, motivated in part by an increasing sense of alienation in their homeland. He began the five-day Islamic pilgrimage of Haj yesterday, and at least 23,000 more Muslims from Britain joined him. They are part of a new, disenchanted generation who are rediscovering their religious identity. It is a spiritual journey …
Crowds hundreds of thousands strong filtered out of the Grand Mosque in Mecca towards the desert valley, chanting Labbaik Allah Humma Labbaik – “Here I am O Lord” – and raising their hands to heaven. It was a remarkable sight …
The piece closes with “incidents of Islamophobia” in the UK.
- How in heaven’s name would these youth become ‘alienated?’Posted by Hoodlumman on 2006 12 29 at 11:41 AM • permalink
- They’re young! They’re alienated! How chic!
Let’s try this with a few nouns changed:
Mr Metz, 28, is from Plaistow and works on the London Underground. He is a British-born Swabian and, until recently, lived what he described as a Western lifestyle, staying out late with his friends, and often missing exercise.
No longer. For he is among a massive wave of young British pilgrims arriving here, motivated in part by an increasing sense of alienation in their homeland. He began the five-day party congress in Nuremberg yesterday, and at least 23,000 more Germans from Britain joined him. They are part of a new, disenchanted generation who are rediscovering their Aryan identity. It is a spiritual journey …
Crowds hundreds of thousands strong filtered out of the Stadium towards the Jewish ghetto, chanting “Heil Hitler” and raising their arms in the Nazi salute. It was a remarkable sight …
We shall have peace with Islam in our time.
- I dislike this word “Islamophobia”. It suggests an irrational fear. There’s nothing irrational in fearing the havoc the radical members of this cult can wreak.
But, I also try to keep in mind that Malcolm Little returned from his pilgrimage a man changed for the better. ‘Course, that was a different place, different time.Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2006 12 29 at 12:08 PM • permalink
- It’s a file photo of the Pandemonium by John Martin (1831) (enlarge the first photo) from his illustrations of Paradise Lost.
- New motto for the Independent:
“My Enemy’s Enemy is my Friend.”Posted by Harry Bergeron on 2006 12 29 at 12:26 PM • permalink
For he is among a massive wave of young British pilgrims arriving here, motivated in part by an increasing sense of alienation in their homeland
Excuse me but does anybody give one fat rat’s ass that these British Muslims are alienated? Hell, show me someone, anyone, who doesn’t feel alienated at some time in their life. Especially in their teens an 20’s. It’s par for the course.
But hey, I got an idea. How about these alienated Muslims moving back to their ancestral lands. Then they can replace their feelings of alienation with feelings of hunger, deprivation, and fear. I’d just bet they develop a new found love and respect for Great Britain.Posted by wronwright on 2006 12 29 at 12:33 PM • permalink
- How is it that these young Muslims, who have jobs and a “western lifestyle” of partying and having fun, suddenly become “alienated”. I can understand the spiritual search, but how does that “alienate” you from society? I suspect there’s a lot more at work here: like, for instance, being recruited and gradually brainwashed by professional agitators.
- It is a spiritual journey …
Which, for some, will end in a smoking crater on a devastated city street, possibly in Komissar Ken’s London. Alienation is always a handy excuse for the feeble-witted, the immature, the impressionable, the sociopathic, the natural-born loser. And a perfectly valid and acceptable explanation for those who have lost all appreciation for the richness and superiority of their own culture.
- Further proof the West is finished. I give Europe 1 generation, the US maybe 3 if we are lucky.
My yet unborn granddaughters will be wearing veils.
It will just happen—no simitar weilding fanatics running up Park Avenue beheading people. One day we will all wake up and notice most of the women wearing veils.
- #13, Room 237:
If the recent past is any indicator, I think there may be a month or few of simitar weilding fanatics running the streets. Kuwait got worked over real hard, Falluja was a horror show of slaughter houses, gang rape is becoming more and more an issue related to muslim/non-muslim interaction across europe, etc etc.
- #9 wronwright
How about these alienated Muslims moving back to their ancestral lands. Then they can replace their feelings of alienation with feelings of hunger, deprivation, and fear. I’d just bet they develop a new found love and respect for Great Britain.
ProbablyAbsolutely not. Besides, that would deprive these “alienated” self-indulgent attention-whores what they so desperately crave: attention. Do you think Das Independent would devote the entire front page to them then?Posted by Spiny Norman on 2006 12 29 at 01:56 PM • permalink
- Mecca! the home of the original Black Box!
- Youth? Alienated youth?
All I see in that pic is a target-rich environment.Posted by Crusader-Rabbit on 2006 12 29 at 03:49 PM • permalink
- # 21 – pac – are you sure that’s not the mosque at Laquemba?Posted by surfmaster on 2006 12 29 at 04:33 PM • permalink
#22 Grimmy – Mecca! the home of the original Black Box!
Um, paco old boy. Correct me if I’m wrong. But wasn’t the Tardis II, the one that Stoop Davy Dave absconded with wehn he ran amuck oh six months ago, cubelike?
With a iridium crystal power cell?Posted by wronwright on 2006 12 29 at 04:35 PM • permalink
- Anyone have the over/under on the number of hajj dead this year? And what’s the split on trampled versus stoned?Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 12 29 at 04:47 PM • permalink
- The SBS Evening News has – for the last two nights – had gushing stories about the Hajj.
I’ll be checking to see if they go for the hat-trick tonight.
My guess is that other minority’s religious festivals are not covered as glowingly as this, if at all, e.g. Jewish New Year / Day of Atonement, or the equivalent for Buddhists and Hindus.Posted by neoZionoid on 2006 12 29 at 05:06 PM • permalink
- Slightly O/T, but don’t be surprised if Reuters or AP “stringers” start peddling photos of a new Iranian aircraft carrier.
- “Allah is Almighty and will help His servants perform Haj without any incident,” said Asad Alam, an Indian-born pilgrim from the United States, who has come with his wife to perform Haj. “We are not afraid of stampedes or any other incident. They cannot shake our unflinching faith in Him.”
At least 362 pilgrims were killed in a stampede in Mina in the last Haj, the fourth fatal overcrowding incident to occur at the Haj since 2001.
Seventy-six pilgrims also died last year in a building collapse in Makkah just before the Haj commenced. In the past, fire has also claimed lives. In 1997, 343 pilgrims died and about 1,500 were injured when a fire broke out in the tent city of Mina.
Islam is so dumb.
Hi Sheik uncovered meat!! STAY OVER THERE don’t come back!!
dom [I have randomly mutilated this url because it was breaking the page in its full form. The next one to do so will be completely deleted. There is a “link” button above the comments form. Use it. The Management.]
Chain Gang’ Pilgrims Gathering Wrong Stones
Zainy Abbas, Arab News
MAKKAH, 29 December 2006 — Pilgrims were seen yesterday collecting stones from hills in the holy city’s Aziziyah neighborhood to be used during their stoning ritual at Jamrat, some even working as if they were part of a chain gang, breaking stones with hammers.
Bumma!!! Wrong stones boys!!! Dumb dumbs
- 1.168: see that “link” button? It’s easy to use. Use it next time.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 12 29 at 05:50 PM • permalink
- The Saudi will have to build in a mezzanine level as we become integrated.Posted by boxofmatches on 2006 12 29 at 07:14 PM • permalink
- #31NeoZionoid, channel nein news also had a piece of fluff about hajj last night. I was most disgusted.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 12 29 at 07:34 PM • permalink
- #38 1.168.
Sure the “Link” button is easy to use like Andrea says but here are a couple of things I learned meself the hard way (I beg forgiveness from any grandmas that already know how to suck these here eggs):
When you click a Pmcode tag it appears at the end of whatever text you have already typed — not where your cursor is positioned in your text.
This means that you must click the tag button before you start to enter the text that you want to be modified by the tag. You can’t modify previously typed text by inserting a tag at the beginning of that text.
Another trap is that the Link button opens a box with “http://” already typed in. If you just copy and paste a URL into the box you can wind up with “http://” repeated and the link does not work.
Disclaimer: All of the above works using Firefox and can’t be guaranteed by me for other browsers.
- Religious freedom in our time.
Has anyone noticed how biased the BBC, particularly BBC radio, has become? The “reporters” are breathless, urging advocates of whatever excites the left. Get one going attack dog on climate change and its unlistenable.Posted by boxofmatches on 2006 12 29 at 07:51 PM • permalink
- there are 200,000-odd muslims in australia. a teeny tiny minority. yet every second day there is a bloody woman in a bloody burkha on my tv whining about being repressed or misunderstood or some such, or a cretin like ol’ catsmeat making with gratuitous advice to the community, or some dick demanding we change the rules at the swimming pool to accommodate them. there are hindus & buddhists aplenty in australia, yet you never hear a peep out of them. they don’t whine, they don’t deliberately confront, and they aren’t on the scrounge for a government handout to fund jihad. time to close the border to all fundamentalists
- Must be part of the ongoing Teenagers – What do they want? series.
- i love the hajj- always amazed that the pedo propheteers can kill each other in large numbers even when theyre not trying
anyone surprised the nsw cops are looking for a man with an olive complexion and dark hair in the jewish holocaust survivor in a wheeliebin case? – just knew the perp had to be greekPosted by eeniemeenie on 2006 12 29 at 09:08 PM • permalink
- I cannot view that picture without thinking that a Daisy Cutter is in order.Posted by Holden McGroyn on 2006 12 29 at 09:39 PM • permalink
- Hundreds get crushed to death there on a regular basis. A ‘remarkable sight’.
I have just returned from Christmas in Buddhist/Hindu Nepal where Christmas dinners fill sandwich boards, Christmas decorations festoon shops and homes, Christmas carols play in shops, Christmas cards are on offer and greetings of ‘Merry Christmas’are heard everywhere. An unremarked and remarkable tolerance among deeply pious people who know the difference between religion and religiosity.
- #48 eeniemeenie, all I heard onthe nein news about the wheeliebin case was the the suspect was a man in his early-mid twenties.
My first thought was: “Well, that narrows it right down.”
I didn’t know about the olive complexion, though.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 12 29 at 10:59 PM • permalink
- Any chance that PETA will start screaming and wailing in protest against the “sacrifice” of 710,000 animals during hajj?
Animal sacrifice made easy
Why is it we hear so little about this aspect of the “sacred” hajj in the MSM, I wonder? Could it be that such practices might, in the minds of ordinary plebs like me, be associated with a cult rather than a legitimate religion?
- #54 the description was (surprisingly) in the SMHPosted by eeniemeenie on 2006 12 30 at 12:28 AM • permalink
- maybe the SMH got sick of tim making fun of them here or are worried he might do it in his new column at the telePosted by eeniemeenie on 2006 12 30 at 03:54 AM • permalink
- The ABC news tonight ran a fluff piece about the hajj and it apparently being a pilgrimmage in THE prophet Mohammed’s footsteps.
They never seem to show christian or buddhist or atheist pilgrimmages. Wonder why that would be?
I had to laugh, though, at the ABC bleating on ahout how tolerant and diverse they are on hajj, no mention of the fact that any infidels found there would be ripped to shreds on the spot at all.
I’ll take diversity for 500 please, Alex.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 12 30 at 08:27 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Imagine the enlightenment. Speaking as they normally speak, as is their self-proclaimed universal right, dressing as they normally dress, expressing themselves freely and openly as non believers as they wander the ancient glory that is islam’s holy city.