The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 07:33 am
The Guardian’s Luke Harding is chilled:
Denmark has now drifted to the right – as has neighbouring Sweden, which last week booted out its Social Democrat government. The chill hand of pragmatism has even arrived in Christiania, the Danish capital’s hippy commune, as the government announced last week it intended to charge the hairy denizens rent.
Why, Denmark is practically a police state. Speaking of hairy denizens, Harding also meets Ahmad Abu-Laban, the dumb cleric who took the Danish Motoons (plus a few extra-inflammatory freelance images) on a death-provoking Middle Eastern tour:
According to Mr Abu-Laban, the cartoons a year ago were the “final straw” – and followed a long list of “provocations” aimed at Denmark’s small Muslim community. “When I saw the cartoons I said to myself: ‘Oh, not again’,” he said. “I had a vague feeling that something bad would happen.”
Ahmad is a regular Nostradamus. Although I’m not sure if predictions count if you’re actually responsible for them coming true:
He put together a dossier of the 12 drawings originally published by Jyllands-Posten, the newspaper at the centre of the row. But he also included three pieces of unpublished hate mail – showing a dog sodomising a praying Muslim, Mohammad as a paedophile, and a French pig-squealing contestant.
The cleric insists that the ensuing crisis was not his fault.
UPDATE. Ushie: “No one ever expects the Chill Hand of Pragmatism!”
- Dogs & sodomising seems to be a preocupation of Islamic countries – remember the doggy cartoon re Howard and Downer and West Papua in the Indonesian press?Posted by blogstrop on 2006 10 01 at 04:56 AM • permalink
- Back in the day, I knew several Danish hippies from Christiania and, although I really liked my Copenhagen friends, even then I knew that I would not ever meet bigger pussies in my entire life.
They were so pathetic in ways that even American drag queens could never be viewed as pathetic.
Jebus help the hippies that must now “pay rent” in Christiana.
- Umm, didn’t Hicks leave the country to join a system that threw rocks at women who exposed their ankles and that banned women from being educated? He walked away from the Australian values as a grown man, and now wants to use an accident of birth to now benefit from them. An affront in my view, and he can rot.
Oh, and BTW didn’t he also abandon the name ‘David Hicks’ in favour of ‘Mohammed Daoud?’ Surely an Australian value is to call people by their proper name – in this case, a new name chosen by the individual. Why is Hicks not referred to by his proper name by the likes of Terry Lane?
The thing I like best is how little influence the likes of Lane have on how world events are unfolding. It bugs the crap out of them, which is part of the fun.Posted by Effing & Blinding on 2006 10 01 at 05:50 AM • permalink
- The cleric insists that the ensuing crisis was not his fault.
I’ve never seen a PC attack on free speech that did not include the cliche about shouting ‘fire’ in a crowded theatre. Now we have a real world example, in fact far more real because with modern ‘health & safety’ regulations the theatre example is moot – everyone would probably form two orderly lines and await instructions from the fire wardens.
But in this climate, effectively yelling ‘These people called the Prophet a horses ass!’ is clearly murderous in its intent and effects. Where are the PC police to drag this man away to jail?
- 4. what, no Kalli?
Its early yet kae. Give it time to consult the Official Bleating Left Lexographer and to have a check of Web Diary and other like sites for the latest non sequiters, and I’m sure we’ll see Kalli and them here soon.Posted by Stop Continental Drift! on 2006 10 01 at 06:28 AM • permalink
- When looking at what little provokes them and their ridiculous over-reaction, they would probably have understood if the USA nuked the shit-caves Osama was hiding in after 9/11. I mean, 9/11 was “offensive” to the sensitivities of Americans (well all of the civilised world) and was well and truly way past the last straw.
- But he also included three pieces of unpublished hate mail – showing … Mohammad as a paedophile.
Mo bonking 9 yr old aisha when he was 53 isn’t paedophilia?
Tabari Hadith: IX:131: (Aisha narrated) “My mother came to me while I was being swung on a swingbetween two branches and got me down. My nurse wiped my face …. the Messenger was sitting on a bed in our house. My mother made me sit on his lap. Then the men and women got up and left. The Prophet consummated his marriage with me in my house when I was nine years old.”
- Oh no! Not the dreaded chill hand of pragmatism!
Ahmad’s response is to be expected. Nothing is ever a Muslim’s fault. After all, when Theo Van Gogh’s murderer was standing over him with a bloody knife in his hand, how could anyone think it was his fault? Van Gogh was asking for it. Riots, burnings, and murder over Danish cartoons? Mohammed was insulted! No, nothing is ever a Muslim’s fault.
- One reads this story and knows one is encountering a totally alien mind with which any meeting is impossible – I mean the reporter, not the Mahommetan.Posted by Susan Norton on 2006 10 01 at 10:15 AM • permalink
- “Although I’m not sure if predictions count if you’re actually responsible for them coming true.”
Actually, I think Hansie Cronje and numerous subcontinental bookmakers would disagree with you there.Posted by Jim Geones on 2006 10 01 at 10:24 AM • permalink
- It’s all because people of color are sytematically discriminated against in the USA!Posted by NoAcuteDistress on 2006 10 01 at 11:09 AM • permalink
- The imam with the “twinkling grin” (oh, he must be okay then) was not provoked at all—he was simply following a game plan from the ‘20s. But al Guardian ignores history, as usual, to maintain its stolid condemnation of the West and privileging of these gosh darn cute furriners. Onward to oblivion!
- Odd that the Guardian should fail to mention that the cleric took the wire service picture of the French pig caller in a pig mask and falsely claimed that it was a cartoon of
the ProphetBig Mo and the cleric obviously taking an active hand in trying to stir shit up. And even odder the lapse in reporting because this also proves the cleric is a liar (and that the reporter’s claim about it being three additonal anti-Mo, anti-Muslim images added from other sources by the cleric to the original Mo cartoons is completely false) because the pig-mask photo was never produced nor used by anyone but the cleric against P-Mo.Posted by andycanuck on 2006 10 01 at 01:51 PM • permalink
- P.S. Doesn’t this last equating of Mo with the pig-mask photo make Abu-Laban guilty of
inslutinginsulting Big Mo, himself? I look forward to the future fatwah against him.Posted by andycanuck on 2006 10 01 at 01:54 PM • permalink
P.S. Doesn’t this last equating of Mo with the pig-mask photo make Abu-Laban guilty of insluting insulting Big Mo, himself? I look forward to the future fatwah against him.
Nope. It wasn’t an insult because someone put on a pig nose and claimed they were Mohammed, it was an insult because someone put on a pig nose. Period.
Remember, dhimmi who do “provocative” things like have pigs where Muslims can see them are violating their side of the “bargain” and are liable to be slaughtered.Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 10 01 at 04:53 PM • permalink
- Blogstrop: One of these?
CheersPosted by J.M. Heinrichs on 2006 10 01 at 11:08 PM • permalink
- Another worm turns??
A Norwegan TV channel is to run the “cartoons of death”
There is a link to the station in this blog but I dont speak bjork.
Antone want to try and translate??Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 10 01 at 11:26 PM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.