The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 06:35 am
Touring whimsicalist Michael Leunig submits to a gruelling interview with the Byron Bay Echo. Check that wig!
- That’s no wig! Michael Leunig is another satisfied customer of Monsieur Paqueau’s line of fine hair products. The photo illustrates the luxurious growth that results after only two weeks of using “Jungle Head”.Posted by paco on 2006 10 24 at 09:44 AM • permalink
- This is way, way off topic, but I don’t care.
The questions below about Australia are from potential visitors from around the world . They ’ re posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a sense of humour.
Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow?
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.
Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street?
A: Depends how much you’ve been drinking.
Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney – can I follow the railroad tracks?
A: Sure, it’s only three thousand miles, take lots of water.
Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia?
A: So it’s true what they say about Swedes.
Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay?
A: What did your last slave die of?
Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia?
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific, which does not… Oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Q: Which direction is North in Australia?
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we’ll send the rest of the directions.
Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia?
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.
Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys’ Choir schedule?
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is…oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.
Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia?
A: You are a British politician, right?
Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round?
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.
Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum.
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.
Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It’s a kind of bear and lives in trees.
A: It’s called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.
Q: Do you have perfume in Australia?
A: No, WE don’t stink.
Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia?
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.
Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population?
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.
Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia?
A: Only at Christmas.
Q: I was in Australia in 1969 and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help?
A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour. Come naked.
Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go?
A: Yes, but you’ll have to learn it first.Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2006 10 24 at 09:47 AM • permalink
- Son of the Church Lady!
LMAO, Gary from Jersey!
- I was reading through this puff piece, and it’s really quite unintentionally amusing. I mean, it’s hard to take seriously someone who speaks with such gravity about Mr. Curly and Billy the Rabbit. And while there’s nothing wrong with a certain amount of tooting your own horn, expecting people to tolerate a fanfare of slide trombones is trying us a little high. Some of his comments simply invite ridicule:
“I don’t want to be attractive”.
Your wish is granted
“I have been accused of blasphemy by seven bishops!”
But have received the accolades, albeit unsolicited, of Iranian mullahs.
“I relate more to Zorba the greek than to Plato”
He has more in common with Narcissus than with either of these.
“Sadly a lot of the wardens of literature are a bit joyless.”
Hey! Wodehouse! Waugh! Quit banging your tin cups on the bars!
The fellow is a veritable fountain of self-important, pseudo-philosophical balderdash, a chia-pet cartoonist harboring delusions of social significance.
- I thought it was a photo of someone auditioning for a role as Ludwig van Beethoven…Posted by Major John on 2006 10 24 at 11:13 AM • permalink
- Great link, can’t wait ‘til I get to THE MIDDLEBY BRASSIERE
Oh DAMN, it’s Brasserie.
Anyway, do they really have a jukebox, in the “free pool”?
Could be an electrifying evening, wow.
“I grew up in a working class household,my grandma played sentimental songs on the piano accordian all day and all night..”
Yeah, and “She goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out”
http://www.lyricsstyle.com/t/thewho/squeezebox.htmlPosted by Some0Seppo on 2006 10 24 at 11:27 AM • permalink
His is a whimsical world of birds, dead rabbits and Mr Curly, where we are connected by tiny tendrils in a disconnected universe. But it’s not all whimsy. Deep within the heart of this writer/artist/poet lurks a political animal. It just happens to be a duck.
As part of this year’s Halloween fund raising initiative for the anti-conservative, anti-progress, universally disconnected Byron Bay Municipal Council Fairytale Alliance, Mr Leunig has kindly donated a personally autographed sheet of a hundred bad trips, man.
Hurry, don’t miss out. Limit of five tabs per ratepayer.
- Michael Loonig is an impotent, shriveled little otter turd (as evident by his ridiculous hairdo) His cartoons are beneath even the likes of bongoman. A damaged and crazed nitwit who certainly thinks he craps jasmine. And the only good thing I read on that website was learning that Thursday night is Pain Bar Night (with Ross Nobel) at The Middleby Brasserie.
- #20: “His cartoons are beneath even the likes of bongoman.”
From the swirling mists of the fever swamp comes the sound of bongo drums, beating out a cadence of frenzied anger, the drummer’s Ur-cognition ignited by Texas Bob’s barbed truths. And the people of the village wait with watchful eye, so that they may count coup on Bongoman
- # 24. I saw a documentary on Australia on Discovery Sunday night, and given the large number of very hot women there I’m hoping nakeness is the law.Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2006 10 24 at 02:03 PM • permalink
- I can’t get over the fact that the Byron Bay Echo has still not worked out how to publish to the web . . . . all they can do is scan their printed version and post a GIF.Posted by Oafish and Infantile on 2006 10 24 at 04:43 PM • permalink
- Do you think it’s “Lite & Airy II”, “Saucy” or “Velocity”?
It’s got to be an Eva Gabor!
He’s about as natural as Pamela Anderson’s tits.
Those are made out of concrete?Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 10 24 at 08:53 PM • permalink
- It is not often recorded, but, Leunig’s Great Grandmother was a prize winning, 29 micron producing ewe at the Sydney Easter Show. He has her eyes and fleece.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 10 24 at 09:46 PM • permalink
- The Byron Bay Echo – is Bob Ellis still writing for that rag? Is he dead? If so, has nayone noticed?Posted by AlburyShifton on 2006 10 25 at 04:59 AM • permalink
- nayone=anyonePosted by AlburyShifton on 2006 10 25 at 05:00 AM • permalink
- Not just the Wig of Deep Concern, but the Head Tilt of Compassion!Posted by arrowhead ripper on 2006 10 25 at 06:54 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.