The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 07:52 am
Andrew Bolt keeps score:
Let’s now sum up our list of artistic must-nots, based on recent history. We must not:
* draw or publish pictures of Mohammed, however respectful, for fear of causing deadly riots
* make films criticising Islam for fear of having our head nearly sawn off by a furious Islamist a la Theo van Gogh
* tell a joke against a Muslim for fear of having our act banned by the Melbourne Comedy Festival’s director
* preach to our Pentacostal congregation about the danger of Islam’s jihadist preaching for fear of being found guilty of vilifying Muslims and sentenced to run full-page advertisements to tell the world of our guilt
* quote the verdict on Islam of some 14th century Byzantine emperor for fear that a Catholic nun might be murdered, churches in Palestine torched and demands be issued for an apology or violent else
* perform Mozart’s Idomeneo (or, for that matter, his Aduction from the Seraglio, which is set in a harem and features a dumb Muslim guard) for fear that our theatre might be blown up
Hit Andrew’s site for links within the above. Curious thing is, creative types don’t seem in the least bit upset about their new restrictions. They’re a docile species.
UPDATE. The mood seems to have shifted since everyone was frightened by that Motoon nonsense:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned on Wednesday against bowing to fears of Islamic violence after a Berlin opera house canceled performances of a Mozart work because of concerns some scenes could enrage Muslims.
“We must take care that we do not retreat out of a fear of potentially violent radicals,” Merkel was quoted as saying in Hanover’s Neue Presse newspaper. “Self-censorship out of fear is not tolerable.”
- Artistic types are herd animals. Sure, they try to be “different” but not different than one another.Posted by ForNow on 2006 09 27 at 09:55 AM • permalink
They’re a docile species.
BITE ME, TIMMY
No, we’re not. I’m cranky all the time.Posted by tree hugging sister on 2006 09 27 at 10:15 AM • permalink
- And we must no make cheesy car commercials using Islamic reference points, lest CAIR shite their burqas.
- Hey Tim, I’m thinking of putting on a production of Othello…whaddya say?Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 09 27 at 10:16 AM • permalink
- I’m cranky all the time.
That’s why I keep her 1,000 miles away at all times.Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 09 27 at 10:18 AM • permalink
- At least we can still sledge the English cricketers. It’s official, we have permission from our betters:
Australia won’t let up on ‘Poms’
…while backing the new clampdown on racism, Cricket Australia have admitted that they will not stop using the term “pom” having taken advice from the Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission.
The commission has ruled that “pom was not hurtful when used in isolation, although using the word with others could be deemed racist, offensive or humiliating”.Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 09 27 at 10:18 AM • permalink
- BITE ME, BINGLEY you BASTARD!!!Posted by tree hugging sister on 2006 09 27 at 10:20 AM • permalink
- The commission has ruled that “pom was not hurtful when used in isolation…”
Boy, on my screen that sure looks like “Porn”.Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 09 27 at 10:21 AM • permalink
- I went to the linked site and read the whole thing; then I scrolled down and read the comments, pro and con. Then I was stunned to read this obtuse and self-righteous expression of pure dhimmitude:
Posted by John Pope of Rose Bay on Wed 27 Sep 06 at 03:03pm
Well, given that I am not likely to want to do any of those things I am not going to get in a lather about it. Doesn’t bother me.
I am much happier treating my Muslim neighbours, and others that I employ in my business, with respect by being a little sensitive to their culture. Where it pays dividends is that I learn a lot about other cultures, and I get more perspective on my own. As a result my Muslim neighbours they are turning out to be staunchly loyal, and look out for our kids. I value that.
Bolt is simply looking to cause a fight but – like all cowards – he won’t actually be there when the sh1t hits the fan.
- Rebecca, BABY! Don’t let him lead you down that ee-ville path!Posted by tree hugging sister on 2006 09 27 at 10:44 AM • permalink
- A lefty responds:
Today there’s some grumbling on the blogosphere about “political correctness” and how “artistic freedom” is being sacrificed to placate Muslims. To which I say, try performing this critter in the Bible Belt. As soon as the Holy Rollers hear about Jesus’s severed head the opera house is as good as vandalized, if not torched. And every Mozart CD in Alabama — all six of ‘em — would be tossed on a bonfire, along with video cassettes and DVDs of “Amadeus.”
- every Mozart CD in Alabama — all six of ‘em
What a typical elitist pompous dick.
I know of at least 8 different Mozart cds in Alabama; hell 10 if you count Hooked On Classics.Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 09 27 at 10:53 AM • permalink
- I’d add “don’t fly your own flag, especially over a prison where you’ve had to contain the most criminal Muslims in your land … because then they’ll really get violent.” ?Posted by Rittenhouse on 2006 09 27 at 10:56 AM • permalink
- Salvidor Dali, YOU’RE NEXT!Posted by Jimmy the Dhimmi on 2006 09 27 at 11:05 AM • permalink
- I can say first hand that you can get away with pretty much anything in the bible belt. They won’t torch your buildings, but they will gossip about you like crazy.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 27 at 11:20 AM • permalink
- Porn, or cricket?
In all respects. With Bingley, his tastes run to porn and cockroaches. He hosts, posts, roasts and toasts the damn things.
All that time in the Brazillian jungle counting beans has addled his palate and his pate.Posted by tree hugging sister on 2006 09 27 at 11:34 AM • permalink
- A few things to remember.
1. The scene in question was not in the original Mozart opera but was added by the director, trying to be provpcatiove.
2. Christians have protested similar things (such as the Brooklyn Museum’s anti-Catholic expositions). The difference there is that Christians seem less likely to actually behead someone, so the press makes fun of the protestors and tells them to grow up.
- Well, given that I am not likely to want to do any of those things I am not going to get in a lather about it. Doesn’t bother me.
Repulsive. “First, they came for the Jews, and I did nothing…”
I love how his rant concludes with the notion that as bad as Muslims are, eeeevil Christians might “dixie-chick” artists. Oh no, they stop buying the CD of someone who calls them a bunch of morons?
To which I say, try performing this critter in the Bible Belt. As soon as the Holy Rollers hear about Jesus’s severed head the opera house is as good as vandalized, if not torched.
Oh, give me f*cking break! The worst that would happen would be a letter writing campaign to protest any possible public funding of said offense.Posted by Spiny Norman on 2006 09 27 at 12:27 PM • permalink
- It’s become quite clear to me that the so-called “artistic community”, despite what they’d have you believe, has not been “bravely standing up for freedom of expression”, or anything else along those lines, over the last 20 years. What they have been doing is engaging in bullying. They’ve been following the classic behavior patterns of a bully – which is to pick on or belittle people who can’t or won’t fight back and that won’t put the bully at any personal risk. That’s why “Piss Christ” and elephant dung Madonna were possible and why they were defended.
But when someone comes along that the bully realizes might actually hit back, and that he might receive a punch in the nose for his trouble, he goes strangely silent. Why has the “artistic community” gone strangely silent? I think the answer is obvious and their dirty little secret is revealed.
There was never anything “brave” about what they were doing. They were bullying and they were getting away with it because they had worked their way into positions of influence and power. Now that they have an actual opportunity to be brave, to show the world they mean what they say, they don’t do anything except tuck their tails between their legs and talk about “tolerance”. What they are really saying is “Please, don’t hit me.”
P.S. It’s also about time that many of them apologize to the military, too, for giving them the space to act like such jackasses. They’ve made it crystal clear that when it’s up to them to defend their freedom of expression and everything that goes along with it they are nowhere near up to the task.
- And as to this, “the opera house is as good as vandalized, if not torched.”, it is so stupid as to be laughable. I’d like the moron to site one single example of an opera house in any city in the South (or anywhere in the US) being torched by out-of-control mobs. It’s mind-boggling the moral equivalencies some of thes people draw so carelessly without a shred of evidence to support them. They’re so busy building Christian strawmen that they can’t see the real threats that do exist. One good way to figure it out would be to count the dead bodies, and then take it from there.
- “We must take care that we do not retreat out of a fear of potentially violent radicals,” Merkel was quoted as saying in Hanover’s Neue Presse newspaper. “Self-censorship out of fear is not tolerable.”
That’s nice to hear, but there’s a part of me that is sure that in good Post-20th Century Europeasement fashion they’ll an acceptable reason for retreat and self-censorship.Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2006 09 27 at 01:02 PM • permalink
- I wonder how many Mozart CDs are sold in Harlem? Oh, was that a racist supposition? I guess righties aren’t the only ones with double standards, then. BTW, I don’t remember any torchings or killings re. the play with a leftist, gay Jesus. Think that the same would be true of a homo Mo?Posted by andycanuck on 2006 09 27 at 01:21 PM • permalink
- Uh oh, Andrew, there’s one more for your list:
We must not:
* Allow a Muslim prisoner to die in gaol or there will be rioting in the streets.
(Err, however – suitable meal breaks for rioters during the month of Ramadan are permitted).
But of course, even if that happened, the Press won’t report it and the way Victoria is going, even if the Press wanted to they soon won’t be able to.
- The left will never admit that their PC thought-control speech codes and intolerant multi-cultural indoctrinations have set up the West for another catastrophe. Where would Transnational Progressives be then? Their house of cards will all fall down in dhimmitude before they’ll ever admit that they weren’t just wrong, but utterly destructive in ways that make Hitler and Stalin look like bad boys on the playground. I wonder just how many mountains of corpses collectivism, in all its guises, will build before people recognize the evil.
There is no power on earth like the power of ideas.
- Well, these lefty clowns are cowards for sure, and bullies (when it’s safe to be one), but they know damn well that so long as there are people with cojones around they’ll never have to suffer for it.Posted by Steve Skubinna on 2006 09 27 at 06:49 PM • permalink
Which? Porn, or cricket?
The cartoonist Anthony had a fun series on test-Match porn in the old Mayfair magazine back in the early 80’s IIRC…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 09 27 at 08:10 PM • permalink
- #12 Ernie, that John Pope of Rose Bay seems to be one of bolta’s pet lefty trolls. Or should that be tool?Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2006 09 27 at 09:06 PM • permalink
- I like Varga’s brief one-liner in Bolt’s comments section:
“If you ever want to know who your real masters are, look at who it is you cannot critisize….”
Creepy, innit?Posted by MentalFloss on 2006 09 27 at 09:14 PM • permalink
- Add this to the list.
An Italian film has sparked a debate in the Muslim community for its representation of Islam. ‘Il mercante di pietre’ (The Stone Merchant) by Italian filmmaker Renzo Martinelli “brings back to mind Nazi propaganda against the Jews,” accuses Dacia Valent, the spokesperson of the Islamic Anti-Defamation League, an Italian group.
- Mahablog is a stuid bint, not a guy.Posted by JorgXMcKie on 2006 09 27 at 10:49 PM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.