The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 08:00 am
Bad news for Zimbabwe:
President Robert Mugabe has postponed Zimbabwe’s next presidential election and intends to extend his rule for another four years.
This was no shock to Pius Ncube, the Roman Catholic archbishop of Bulawayo:
“When it comes to African dictators like Mugabe, they will break every law, they will smash up everything, everything can go to pieces as long as they remain supreme,” Ncube said …
“Things must change in Zimbabwe, because as things are, we face death,” he said. “There is no way you are going to manage if a loaf of bread right now costs 400,000 Zimbabwe dollars, in two weeks’ time it costs 800,000, in three weeks’ time it is 1.6 million.”
Mugabe was recently in New York for the 61st United Nations General Assembly Meeting. Good to see the UN took the opportunity to condemn his insane tyranny.
Why the world celebrates this guy, I’ll never know.
They envy his power.Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 09 26 at 01:35 PM • permalink
- They celebrate his guy because he is, most importantly, anti-American and he is a Marxist, Period. That combination is his “get out of jail for free” card. What he inflicts on his subjects is irrelevant. So if there are any future vicious tyrants reading this—pay attention—there is a lesson to be learned here.Posted by Mark Razak on 2006 09 26 at 03:49 PM • permalink
- “Where are all the people who wanted to see this guy take over?”
You mean the ones who are still alive… right?Posted by Old Grouch on 2006 09 26 at 06:56 PM • permalink
- Zimpundit reporting on Mugabe’s statement at the meeting of the non-aligned in Cuba
“Then Mr. Mugabe commandeered a plane from Air Zimbabwe, leaving passengers stranded all over the world (as we only have one long distance aircraft flying) and flew to Cuba for the Non Aligned Movement summit. He was in good company as he stridently announced to the world that “democracy was stupid” and that the demand for adherence to democratic principle was an excuse for regime change in counties like his own….
Just to endorse his view of the values of the rest of the world, the Minister of Information here said that “a free press would result in Zanu PF losing power” and this was why they were going to keep a tight grip on the press and the electronic media. We all knew that, but it was nice to have it confirmed by the regime itself.”
The UN and Annan should have nothing to do with him.
Zimpundit also provides a very depressing summing of the disaster that is Zimbabwe here, including the fact that the state intends taking 51% of all mining concerns hence intended billions of dollars of investment goes on hold.
Eddie Cross is a blogger worth a visit.
The UN and Annan should have nothing to do with him.
Why? He instituted their ideal form of government.Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 09 26 at 09:19 PM • permalink
- Robert Mugabe came to Australia on a lecture in the 80s around the time that rumours were spreading that he was going to shaft Joshua Nkomo and establish a one party state.
He answered questions after an address at a Melbourne university – Monash IIRC. Someone asked him if such rumours were true. Mugabe replied, “We are one people; we are one nation; why not one party?
The audience gave this answer a thundering ovation. I nearly puked when I heard that on the radio report.
He was certainly the darling of the left at that time.
- I can remember working for a media outlet in Melbourne back in 1980, when Malcolm ‘my good friend Robert Mugabe’ Fraser crowed about the over-throw of Ian Smith. I made a bet with a colleague, that by the year 2000 Rhodesia would be a dictatorship, and the economy would be bust. The bet was for $20. After copping the usual lefty diatribes: ‘right-winger’, ‘enemy of democracy’ et el, the bet was agreed too. I collected, without interest in 2002.
So, to see Fraser, and Whitlam, dear old political failures holding hands in an ideologue meeting of the minds, is one reason why, John Howard, will go down as the best Prime Minister this country has had in a long time.
Yet, these bandits still suckel at the taxpayers teet. But, and correct me if I am wrong, is not the symbol of the Fabian Society, a wolf in sheeps clothing?
- He’s black and left-wing, which in the strange calculus of the international elite, means he can do no wrong, no matter how many innocent corpses result.
I half expect old Nigel to show up and castigate us as appalling racists because we won’t give old Starver Bob the benefit of the doubt after 26 years of failure and the ruination of what was once the breadbasket of Africa, a continent which can scarcely do without a breadbasket.Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2006 09 26 at 10:45 PM • permalink
“Then Mr. Mugabe commandeered a plane from Air Zimbabwe, leaving passengers stranded all over the world (as we only have one long distance aircraft flying)…
I understand it’s really no laughing matter, but am I a bad person for laughing my ass off at that?Posted by Spiny Norman on 2006 09 26 at 11:07 PM • permalink
- Yes, Spiny, that is awful. I mean, I managed to hold back from making an “at least they won’t run out of toilet paper” comment, so you could have at least made an effort not to laugh.Posted by andycanuck on 2006 09 26 at 11:57 PM • permalink
- a loaf of bread right now costs 400,000 Zimbabwe dollars, in two weeks’ time it costs 800,000, in three weeks’ time it is 1.6 million
If you could keep it from going stale, it sounds like a great investment opportunity.
Seriously, though, we should have taken out Mugabe a long time ago and every day we wait the situation just gets worse.Posted by Michael Levy on 2006 09 27 at 03:17 AM • permalink
- #8 RebeccaH has it in one! Blacks kill blacks (the list of countries is endless). Well, that’s life. Whites kill whites (Kosovo). Can’t understand what’s motivating that one, but it’s an internal affair! Browns kill browns (Kashmir, Sri Lanka). Sad, that. Yellows kill yellows (Tibet). Never could understand the Oriental mind.
Jews (= whites) kill Arabs (= blacks). Baaddd!. Call UN into emergency session immediately. Sanctions against the Jew murderers. Keep the killers out of Red Cross. Give the poor innocent victims a few thousand more rockets, a few million more guns, a few billion more dollars so they can “defend” themselves.Posted by rampisadmukerjee on 2006 09 27 at 04:04 AM • permalink
- #14 BJM So, to see Fraser, and Whitlam, dear old political failures holding hands in an ideologue meeting of the minds, is one reason why, John Howard, will go down as the best Prime Minister this country has had in a long time.
Could not fail to disagree with you more.
Add to that the near miss of John Hewson (Fraser’s ideological successor) and you have even more reson to thank the great JH.
Back on topic, my friends in the peaceful neighbouring republic of Botswana can’t wait till the old fool drops off the perch and some semblance of normality returns to the region. They are swamped with bandits and refugees from Mugabe’s fiasco.
- One spy on the ground + one JDAM = one less terror-dictator in Zimbabwe.
I’m just sayin’.Posted by Rittenhouse on 2006 09 27 at 11:04 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
He even appears in the famous Two Cows economic primer…as do the Australians. Requires Powerpoint.