The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 5th, 2017 at 03:32 pm
For the next few days I’m in Salzburg, Austria driving (riding?) one of these. If you’re among this site’s thriving Austrian readership, I suggest we meet at Stiegl Hell. Meanwhile, topical open threads beckon below.
- Gaia wept.Posted by paco on 2007 05 18 at 12:10 PM • permalink
- You’re gonna be driving a burp?Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 05 18 at 12:12 PM • permalink
This brewpub has an extremely casual atmosphere. Despite the doomsday name, it offers an array of the world famous Stiegl beer and a simple décor with hardwood floors.
All the best bars have hardwood floors. Easier to sweep up the glass after a fight.Posted by Tex Lovera on 2007 05 18 at 12:50 PM • permalink
- PW, are you close enough to Salzburg for a mug o’ beer with Tim? Or does wronwright need to let go of the TARDIS keys?Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 05 18 at 01:49 PM • permalink
- A trike? Didn’t they pretty much ban those things in the U.S. because they’d roll over and kill the driver?Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2007 05 18 at 04:35 PM • permalink
- Tim, just get a bike.Posted by Young and Free on 2007 05 18 at 05:15 PM • permalink
- Looks like the car that Mr Bean would always nudge in his telly series, but going in reverse. I’m talking of a Reliant Regal.
- Salzburg is a nice place to visit. Most people think of a singing Julie Andrew’s swirling around on the top of a hill. Anyway, I thought the Salt Mine tour a treat (Salz = salt) and downing a Stein or several is another enjoyable thing to do. Cheers’n’beers …
- I’m jealous, Tim. (About Salzburg, not what you’re driving.)
Old Salzburg is a beautiful city – some of my best memories of Europe are from there.
Hope you make some great memories there, too. Tip a glass of wine and munch on a wurst (or some schnitzel) for me. 😀Posted by Barbara Skolaut on 2007 05 18 at 06:19 PM • permalink
- Jealous, jealous, jealous and NOT of Salzburg! That Can-Am Spyder looks hot. I want one!
—NickPosted by The Thin Man Returns on 2007 05 18 at 06:24 PM • permalink
- I don’t know about that thing.Posted by dean martin on 2007 05 18 at 07:22 PM • permalink
- As an aging and progressively creakier biker, I have to say that thing at least looks studlier than a Gold Wing (The Olds 88 of motorcycles…)Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 18 at 07:58 PM • permalink
- Bike is the abbreviation for town bike.
- While you’re over in that part of the world, see if you can pop over the border and try one of these.
- Right wingers gathering in Austria, eh? Where have I read about this before?Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 18 at 11:31 PM • permalink
- First pictures of Tim in Austria.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 18 at 11:41 PM • permalink
- #37 Tim is looking pretty butch there with his dear friend.
Here’s one for when he’s a little older.Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 05 19 at 01:23 AM • permalink
- Latest Tim pic. Jeebus!Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 02:09 AM • permalink
- #45 – As Tim once remarked to me “I’ve never gone to bed with an ugly women, but I’ve woken up next to a few”.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 02:22 AM • permalink
- #49 –
Cheer up, 1.618. I have it on good authority that the bloody cow wouldn’t give Tim the milk unless he bought the dairy. Well, he might be a cucumber sandwich short of a garden party, but he’s not that stupid. He dropped her at the next village and high tailed it. So she couldn’t follow him he changed transport too. Latest pic of Tim.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 02:34 AM • permalink
- I don’t look like one, I look like Michelle Pfeiffer but a bigger size but hey, I can get back down to a 10 instead of a 12. I used to get anxiety attacks because my x boyfriend said I was ugly and didn’t like what I wore. It was horrible, it triggered me. I guess that’s why I hate burquas for women thought of by men.
I’m sorry, I love you all heaps.
- #53 – Just tap water today, but considering how low the dams are I might have to start boiling it before ingesting.
#52 – You aint ugly and horrible. And since no one else will stick up for her, either is the cow.
As mum has always told me “It’s all fun and games until someone cries and you end up in Gitmo for 5 years”. Now play nice.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 02:54 AM • permalink
- I’d also like to inform the female commentariat that the Infidel’s ideal women is built like an icy mountain road – lots of dangerous curves… although she won’t have guide posts, warning signs or require snow chains, but that’s another story.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 03:00 AM • permalink
- #62 – I don’t discriminate too much, but I must warn that the zimmerframe parking around my lair is atrocious.Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 05 19 at 03:11 AM • permalink
- I like trike.Posted by Abu Chowdah on 2007 05 19 at 03:30 AM • permalink
- This one’s doomed. All the disadvantages of a motor bike and car combined in one expensive package. And no particular advantages.
Three-wheeled vehicles have been around since the dawn of motoring. They have never been popular, except where cheap-and-cheerful is required, and none has survived for long.
There’s a reason for this. It’s a really silly, impractical concept.Posted by walterplinge on 2007 05 19 at 06:19 AM • permalink
- #74. Did you read the link in Tim’s post? Mentions a few advantages this design has over motorbikes.
Just saying.Posted by Abu Chowdah on 2007 05 19 at 07:33 AM • permalink
- Seems I missed some drama.
1.618, are you out there? If it’s any consolation, I was nicknamed Pugsley when I was in the Scouts. No fib.
(Shameless Bribe Warning)
If I found that guy with the photos at Subi Market again…?Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 07:40 AM • permalink
- Off topic, but so sweet:
Wafaa Bilal moved his entire living room into the gallery and now spends 24 hours a day, 7 days a week over 30 days in an enclosed space, and his only companion is a paintball gun hooked up to a Web cam, which can be aimed and fired by people who go to this Web page.
Weeeeiiiirrrrrrrd.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:11 AM • permalink
- Let me guess Pog. These stories often involved anal discharges and cigarette lighters, right?Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:17 AM • permalink
- Looks like I’m in for another of those conversations.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:18 AM • permalink
- Changing the subject entirely: has anyone heard from Auntie KC lately?Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:19 AM • permalink
- Suddenly I’m the centre of attention. Not quite the same as having your German girlfriend reading Das Kapital to you, but close enough.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:34 AM • permalink
- Bastard. I need me one of those.
Or a T-Rex…
- Nah, would more likely put me to sleep. German – it’s not like French, is it? More to the point, it’s not like a Frenchwoman speaking English. Even more to the point, it’s not like Isabelle Huppert in that Huckabees movie. ‘Pain – Cruelty – Meaninglessness…” Damn, she made those words sound sexy.
Well, has anyone heard from Auntie KC?Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:51 AM • permalink
- I just checked the members list, she isn’t there. We go from Auntie Abdul to Auroviviorus (or something like that.)Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 09:07 AM • permalink
- #75 R C Dean:
Also fond memories. Once stayed at the hostel Naturfreundehaus on Monchsberg between the fortress and the old casino. Now the place had a curfew, so one night I stayed in rather than go out, and drank with the owner’s son, Hans, a giant of a fellow. We sat out the front overlooking the City. Wunderbar. His command of English was pretty poor. Anyway, some young lady guests arrived after curfew. Hans wouldn’t let them in, and went and collected their bags from their rooms, and placed them outside. There was some screaming and yelling, then the girls left. I then had one more drink with Hans before calling it a night.
- Never made it to Austria. Had more than my share of beerhall life in Munich. By the way, did you know they built an exact replica of the Hofbräuhaus in Las Vegas?
- #7 paco –
Heck, RJ, with the Tardis, Tim and PW could blow the froth off a few with Emperor Franz Josef, while smoking some of Freud’s cigars.
For everyone’s information, the Tardis is not a fucking Camaro that a bunch of guys can hop into for a fun night on the town. It’s an official vehicle for the VRWC entrusted to me by some dude that I don’t actually know. Until he comes back, which I hope is soon, I’m safeguarding it from the wanton debaucheries of the denizens that frequent this blog.
Bring a properly completed Form RW1040, signed by Karl, for a proposed mission and yes, I can lend you the Tardis for 24 hours. And don’t think you can fool me by keeping it out for weeks like paco and Stoop Davy Dave did when they went back to the Roman chariot races like they did 3 years ago. They returned 3 minutes after they had left, or at least they made it seem like that. Then they said they were home sick and didn’t want to stay out any longer than 3 minutes. Except they had sun tans and straw in their hair. And they were wearing togas and sandals. As if they could fool me?
Unbeknowst to them, I had a taxi chronometer installed inside the Tardis that recorded their usage. I made them wash and wax Apaches for weeks because of it.
And by the way, whoever borrowed the Tardis recently and left empty Roman Emporium cotton shopping bags and partially eaten pastries strewn around the floor will soon rue their lapse of judgment when I find out their identities. I have detectives dusting down the Tardis for fingerprints as I speak. Sticky fingerprints from what looks like honey and sugar. It’s not a shopping shuttle bus girls.Posted by wronwright on 2007 05 19 at 10:51 AM • permalink
- If you get a chance stay a night or two here in Dienten:
If you keep going as far as Graz there is no finer hotel restaurant than this:
I’ve been there most every summer 1982 – 2004, the Legensteins (owners) are charming, their house is peace and rest. Mention kiwi the opera dog for a surprise.
Should you work your way down to the border of Hungary, after a spectacular ride with castle views you may end up on Jenersdorf where there is a five star restaurant featuring edwardian era viennese cooking (I’m sorry I can’t describe it any better – think “Duchess of Duke Street” live) The Wirtin cooks with her own hands things that will make you faint but the prices won’t:
Hauptplatz 6, 8380 Jennersdorf
Here’s a review in german if my swooning dithyramb doesn’t suffice:
Sample “ Bei Raffel zu speisen ist ein nahezu orgiastisches Fest der Sinne für den Gaumen und die Seele”
To dine at Raffel’s is an almost orgiastic festival of the senses for your palate and soul.”
It’s a really silly, impractical concept.
“This situation calls for a really foolish, self-destructive gesture… and we’re just the guys to do it!”
walterplinge—you and Car & Driver both miss the obvious. It’s impossible to bring a pony keg to the rally on a regular motorcycle…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 19 at 12:30 PM • permalink
- o/t, as if there were a real topic:
Terry Lane must be shitting a brick right now. Remember Jesse MacBeth?
- More repression from the BusHitler Regime, eh RebeccaH? Dissent must be not silenced!Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 05 19 at 01:27 PM • permalink
- Spiny Norman—Unless you’re going to get it all. IVAW is still active…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 19 at 01:33 PM • permalink
- Just a little Indymedia moment there…Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 05 19 at 01:52 PM • permalink
- OT and Call Me Insensitive but check out the pic then scroll down to comment #36 at this link.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 19 at 04:48 PM • permalink
- I laughed until I… well, until I stopped laughing. I’m kind of tired right now.
We have softshell turtles here in Florida. They don’t look half-melted like that creature, though. They do sort of look like those parasite creatures in that old Star Trek episode. Here’s an image of the turtle—they have these funky anteater-like noses. True story: I was walking home from work in my old neighborhood and I found one of these things on the sidewalk. It was just sitting there, like it had wandered out onto the concrete and didn’t know what to do from there. It rolled its little yellow eyes at me as if to say, “Are you going to eat me?” However, it didn’t look (or smell) like chocolate, or anything else edible, so I picked it up and put it on the grass.
Not that I would eat anything made of chocolate or anything else if I found it on the sidewalk.
I’m real tired right now.
Update: for Chrissake, Wikipedia’s urls suck.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2007 05 19 at 05:35 PM • permalink
- My fifteen minutes of fame have finally arived, courtesy of Gina Elise.
In The Field, page 12.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 07:13 PM • permalink
- Got me.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 07:47 PM • permalink
- HERE IS A MAN WHO HAS BEEN ONE THE MOST WONDERFUL SUPPORTERS OF THE “PIN-UPS FOR VETS” CALENDAR PROJECT !! GREG ATKINS FROM AUSTRALIA IS ONE VERY GENEROUS MAN WHO SUPPORTS OUR TROOPS AND OUR HOSPITALIZED VETERANS. HE SHOWS US ALL WHAT A GOOD FRIEND THE AUSTRALIANS CAN BE TO STAND BY OUR BRAVE MILITARY HEROES. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, GREG, FOR YOUR WONDERFUL AND POSITIVE LETTERS, YOUR PURCHASES OF SEVERAL CALENDARS FOR YOUR FRIENDS, AND FOR CREATIVELY PUTTING TOGETHER A SCREENSAVER OF MY CALENDAR PHOTOS.
I AMThe United States of America is SO VERY HONORED TO HAVE THIS SUPER “AUSSIE” IN MYOUR CORNER, BACKING THIS PROJECT. THANK YOU, GREG, FOR ALL YOUR KINDNESS. I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE THIS PHOTO THAT YOU SENT WITH THE “PIN-UPS FOR VETS” CALENDAR.******* IFALL THE AUSTRALIANS ARE AS NICE AS YOU, THEN I AM ON MY WAY FOR A VISIT “DOWN UNDER” !!! WITH MUCH LOVE AND APPRECIATION TO MY BEST AUSSIE FAN…..ALL OF AUSTRALIA, SHOULD BE PROUD OF A MAN SUCH AS GREG ATKINS….GINA ELISE !!
(with liberties and without permission of Gina Elise, I made a few changes)
- Thanks, El Cid. I should warn you and your fellow Americans though that if Gina does come visiting here, we won’t be letting her out in a hurry.
Fair’s fair. Think of all the beautiful women Australia has given you – Nicole Kidman… Naomi Watts… Cate Blanchett… Russell Crowe…Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:21 PM • permalink
- errm, scratch Russell Crowe…Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 08:23 PM • permalink
- 110. Andrea, Vot, it looked like just another New York retiree confused by a butterfly ballot…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 19 at 08:32 PM • permalink
- I’m here. For a bit.
Just not sure what I’m here for a bit of.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2007 05 19 at 08:57 PM • permalink
It is I that must say thank you…Gina did now it is my turn. Thank you good friend. (although I must admit, I don’t look as good as she does…lol. HEY, christ, I’m a guy…I shouldn’t anyway)
Yes, OZ has given us some fine eye candy….BUT, we gave you alGor, I mean what else do you want…LOL.
- Doors, shmoors.
All credit to James at Imagemaker Photography in Mount Lawley, cos that definitely isn’t the face I see in the mirror every morning. Thatface is surly, misanthropic, usually bleary too. James turned me into somebody’s favourite uncle. Must have been a magic camera.
Al Gore? Forget it, he’s all yours and you’re welcome.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 19 at 09:30 PM • permalink
I know NOTHING.
Minionmeister to the VRWC
<Ah, Sunday. Day of rest and recreational flogging down in the moonbat cage. Time to slip off the new Roman Army sandals, lay the new gladius to one side, put the feet up and relax with a huge plateful of double-cured Baetican ham sandwiches with Lutetian mustard and an amphorae of fine falernan wine. Hmm. AD 69 vintage! Wonderful>
- Austria. Salzburg.Posted by nofixedabode on 2007 05 19 at 10:45 PM • permalink
Still laughing like a drain
Mohammad the pig-blowing Paedophile preeeesents!
Islamotard Hint No. 133,468,539: Avoid crispy weird-beard syndrome!
When setting fire to badly made petrol-soaked copies of US flags, it is wise not to:
1. soak your right arm in petrol first, and
2. stand underneath the burning rag
- Anyone in the mood for Salad Fingers?Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 05 20 at 12:53 AM • permalink
- O/T – Bono: destroyer of Irish heritage and hypocritical plonker—
Bono is usually the one leading protests against the rich and the powerful in his capacity as a tireless and vocal campaigner against Third World debt and Aids.
Now, however, the rock star has found himself the target of campaigners who accuse him of using his wealth to threaten the heritage of his home city.
The millionaire front man of U2 and his bandmate, The Edge, want to knock down buildings in the city’s historic Temple Bar district in order to expand a hotel they co-own with a local property developer.Posted by walterplinge on 2007 05 20 at 12:59 AM • permalink
- #128. Kae, trying to be a single parent and working evenings doesn’t work. Much as I enjoyed the designing, I need to look for other work. Something office-based and more compatible with a rugrat about to go into school.
On the plus side, I am good at it lol. Got an interview on tues morning.
Wish me luck. I wrote an excellent covering letter, so my fingers are crossed.Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2007 05 20 at 12:59 AM • permalink
Who needs free-to-air. Or cheap accommodation.
- #143 lotocoti. Oyakodon?Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 01:39 AM • permalink
- #149 Just checked, it is.Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 02:08 AM • permalink
- #147 lotocoti
Thanks for that link. Found all this info on the possum from Tim’s yard.
Oh, and David Hicks is back in Oz, via a half-million dollar private jet trip. Apparently he wants to become a zoologist… as soon as he finishes high school.
Did the flight attendants have big tits?Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 05:06 AM • permalink
- #139 Leave Betty…I mean 1.6 alone!Posted by dean martin on 2007 05 20 at 06:04 AM • permalink
- BTW my son Max, who is 11, came fourth in the ‘junior professional’ class at the Bangalow billcart derby today, open to all under 16. I’d love to say I made his cart myself, but I didn’t – a mate of mine put it together to run in the senior event and let Max borrow it for the junior.
great day. No 2007 photos on the website yet. Hope they will appear as there were some fantastic carts.
- #160 Don’t worry, she’ll be back.Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 06:08 AM • permalink
- #56 Was a reference to the letter Hicks wrote to his former roommate BTWPosted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 06:14 AM • permalink
- #167 Just didn’t want to come across as having a breast obsession…Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 06:18 AM • permalink
- I do live in Byron Shire and here’s a picture of me to prove it.
- #171. That’s just your disguise, so the locals don’t stare. Can’t tell me you’re not all short back and sides. 🙂
Signing off, now. I’ve got a delicate sleep cycle, you know. Step 1: brush my teeth. Step 2: lie down in bed. Step 3: pluck the 4th flower from the higher plane of consciousness. Step 4: sleep follows almost immediately. G’nite.
- Totally immature and OT: Cold virus hits cancer cells for six
The coxsackie virus, which can cause colds in healthy people, has shown it can infect and fight certain cancer cells, in particular melanoma, breast cancer and prostate cancer.
sniggerPosted by flying pigs over mecca on 2007 05 20 at 07:28 AM • permalink
Oh, and David Hicks is back in Oz, via a half-million dollar private jet trip. Apparently he wants to become a zoologist… as soon as he finishes high school.
#153, on the news report I saw, his father also mentioned that Hicks was interested in ecology or a future in the environmental movement..
So who knew that someone attracted to a fundamentalist religious cult which is interested in world domination and murder of unbelievers would also be an environmentalist?Posted by Art Vandelay on 2007 05 20 at 08:22 AM • permalink
- “So who knew that someone attracted to a fundamentalist religious cult which is interested in world domination and murder of unbelievers would also be an environmentalist?”
Pim Fortuyn, killed by Volkert van der Graaf, an animal rights activist and muslim immigration enthusuast knew it, but he didn’t know it long.
- Dan Lewis, Andrea—actually, that would be “hortas”
someone told me that…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 20 at 05:15 PM • permalink
- Ric Locke—Maybe not impossible, but the straw kept slipping out for me…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 20 at 06:04 PM • permalink
- I loved Austria was there 10 yrs ago, especially WeinPosted by hollingshead on 2007 05 20 at 11:56 PM • permalink
A trike? Didn’t they pretty much ban those things in the U.S. because they’d roll over and kill the driver?
Those were the off-road ATV jobbies. Much higher center of gravity, ridden by drunks and teenagers…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 05 21 at 12:29 AM • permalink
- #120- It’s beter known as Oyako Donburi, or “parent and child” donburi; rather nice with a goodly sprinkle of shichimi togarishi, and several bottles of Kirin or Asahi.
- Tim, I would absolutely love to link up with you in Salzburg (as it’s only a 5 hour drive or so from Heidelberg). But I cannot escape work right now, and especially since I’m “in the hole” when it comes to leave. I burned up way too much on emergency leave last year. Maybe I could interest you in a Heidelberg tour?
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.