The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Yet again, frozen Canadians weather-cultists risk hypothermia to complain about global warming:
The weather may belie their message but devoted fans of the outdoor hockey rink plan to brave Alberta’s arctic-like weather as part of a statement against global warming …
Michael Kalmanovitch, organizer of the event in Edmonton, says the skate will go ahead in Edmonton despite the -23 C temperature. He admits the cold snap is a touch ironic but stressed the above average temperatures that have dominated the winter thus far.
This phenomenon has been observed once or twice previously. (Via Jim Campbell.) In other environmental news, we’re all gonna die:
An apocalyptic vision of life 1,000 years from now has been painted by a team of scientists studying the effect of global warming.
If mankind does not put its house in order, temperatures could have risen by 15C (27F) by the year 3000 and sea levels by more than 11 metres (36ft), flooding much of London, the team, from the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, says in a report for the Environment Agency. Abrupt changes could make Britain much hotter, or even — such is the uncertainty of the predictions — first colder and then hotter.
How might we avoid this warming/colding/warming apocalypse?
The solution, the team says, is to reduce emissions to zero by 2200.
And if we don’t?
The risk was that of returning the Earth to a hot state it had not been in since 55 million years ago.
Hmm. Sounds like these God-playing climate folks want to delay the earth returning to its natural state. I’ll have none of this meddling.
(Via J.F. Beck)
- If they would shut up, that would go a long way to reducing emissions.Posted by SoberHT on 2006 02 19 at 10:41 AM • permalink
- Now if only we could get Gaia to stop her, sorry, Her CO2 emissions from the current 95-98% from natural sources, then everything will be okay. Shut down all the forest fires and volcanic activity; those plate tectonics too and all that nasty lava at the edges.
BTW, it’s -18°C in Toronto with the wind-chill effect, but I haven’t checked to see if Al Gore’s here after being in Saudi.Posted by andycanuck on 2006 02 19 at 11:03 AM • permalink
- Well, perhaps this gathering of Mother Gaia Worshippers™ explains the unusual daytime subfreezing temperatures here in the inland Pacific Northwest.
Naw! No way—if there was a Mother Gaia, I’d expect an erupting volcano under those brainless dweebs.Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 02 19 at 11:09 AM • permalink
- Well, one damn thing…you can’t blame this problem on farts (well, not entirely). And bless the Kiwi’s, they are really putting forth effort.
Is it true that cow farts contribute to global warming?
Recent research has shown that most methane produced by cows and sheep emerges from the mouth rather then the anus. So one could more accurately say that cow and sheep belches ARE contributing to global warming. New Zealand researchers are investigating methods of methane-free sheep.
For those so inclined, this question and answer are about 1/3 to 1/2 down the page.
- “I root for hurricanes. When, courtesy of the Weather Channel, I see one forming in the ocean off the coast of Africa, I find myself longing for it to become big and strong-Mother Nature’s fist of fury, Gaia’s stern rebuke.”
Me, I root for heart attacks and strokes. Mother Nature’s embarrassing itch of fury.
Go, Wolcott’s heart, go!
Abrupt changes could make Britain much hotter, or even — such is the uncertainty of the predictions — first colder and then hotter.
“We have no idea what’s going to happen! But we must act immediately!”
That never stops being funny. Wait, not “funny” … what’s the word I’m looking for? Oh, yeah, “pathetic.”
- Uh, actually … I’ve been to 3000 AD or 1000 AR (after Rove) as it’s called there. I meant to go back to 3000 BC Sumeria for some casks of mead and inadvertly left out the BC part. (Helpful hint: the time machine can’t read the mind of the operator, you really have to type in BC or AD, shouldn’t have to but you do).
Very nice. The Muslims are all assimiliated. So are the Jews, Christians, and Hindus. There’s only one religion, peace be until Karl.
The neocons are in power of course. Actually they had been since 2020 when the forces of evil conservatism take over at their Middle East base of operation in Meggido. Shortly after that, neocon scientists perfect Anti-Aging serum and certain persons here ascend to power and remain in power—even after 1000 years. The world celebrates the ascension by mandatory holidays and celebrations. Blairs Day, Bushitler’s Birthday, Cheney Day of Hunting are all very popular.
Non-celebrating persons are fed to the Beast of Bush, the name placed on Richard McEnroe’s seemingly vicious but actually playful three headed dragon. (Please don’t ask me where McEnroe got it. All I will say is, someone damn well better start investigating what McEnroe’s doing in those space station laboratories). It’s televised and actually has a very strong viewership.
Happiness and harmony reigns for the most part except …. would you believe they still haven’t raised me to full member class? After 1000 years!!! I conferred with my Year 3000 version about it. He’s optimistic it will happen any day soon.Posted by wronwright on 2006 02 19 at 12:20 PM • permalink
- A rise of 15C ?!?!?
Check this: http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=531
Frankly I don’t think any of it really matters. I think within the next century we’ll have more people living in space than on earth. In such a circumstance any temperature variations won’t mean much. We could tap the excess water to supply our space habitats and erect solar energy panels to block out portions of the sun’s energy. By doing this we could adjust, roughly, the amount of energy entering the Earth’s biosphere. Which we’d do anyways because we’d need the electricity.
*shrug* Frankly I think it’s pretty much how it’ll all work out.Posted by memomachine on 2006 02 19 at 02:58 PM • permalink
- This is the first time I can agree with these enviromentalist.
I completely and enthusiasticly endorse an a emmission free enviroment by 2200.
See you then.Posted by Go Canucks on 2006 02 19 at 03:40 PM • permalink
- Butt plugs anyone?
One for your dog too?Posted by Go Canucks on 2006 02 19 at 03:41 PM • permalink
- Any wanker that tries to predict what life will be like a thousand years from now needs to be slapped silly until he says he’s sorry. A millennium from now, if we don’t want the Sun to be so sunny or the Earth to be so global warmy, we’ll just tell it not to be.Posted by David Gillies on 2006 02 19 at 05:26 PM • permalink
- So we’re being told that Gaia is a frigid bitch?
wronwright, actually the three-headed dragon was a bargain. I got him from Toho studios in exchange for an anime cameo by Giant Anteater King…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 19 at 05:59 PM • permalink
I keep telling you that you need to study in order to get that promotion above the 32nd degree, but no, you never listen. It’s not enough to move lakes and fix Canadian elections, you’ve got to have managerial ability too. Also, the weather control project is where the promotions are. Maybe I can get you in, but you’ll need to lay off the Sumerian mead. Or get me some.
As for the guys predicting what the climate will be 1,000 years from now, I must say that Madame Rimsky-Blavatsky does a more plausible patter with her crystal ball than they seem to do. I’ve got news for them, if the sun is causing global warming (assuming it is occuring) then there is damn all we can do to stop it, so lie back and enjoy the experience.
These guys have left the realm of science and entered that of mystical prophecy.Posted by Michael Lonie on 2006 02 19 at 07:39 PM • permalink
- As it happens, I’m now signing people up for Master Rove’s latest seminar, Five Ways To Get The Most Out Of Your Conspiracy, or: Critical Thinking and the Socioenvironmentalist’s Dilemma. Seating is limited, so don’t delay. Wednesday through Friday in the Prussian Room, 9:00am to 3:00pm with a half hour lunch break, coffee and donuts available.
- RebeccaH, yes, I’m a participant. I change the placards when Karl says “next”. I feel like Vanna White, true, but it’s a gig.Posted by wronwright on 2006 02 19 at 08:59 PM • permalink
- #10 Kaboom
Does this mean that all life on earth has ceased?
Yes, but damnit, the climate will finally be stable…Posted by Spiny Norman on 2006 02 19 at 10:32 PM • permalink
- Michael Lonie — Some of us have excellent managerial skills. I don’t mean to boast but we all know who was responsible for leaving that last quarter-acre of grasslands unpaved so wronwright would have something to mow and edge-trim…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 19 at 11:27 PM • permalink
- Can these buffoons REALLY believe we’ll still be burning fossil fuels in a thousand years? In a hundred? Remember a century ago the most common energy sources in most people lives were oats and hay, and the People Who Worried were worried about our cities being buried in horse manure…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 19 at 11:31 PM • permalink
- These religious fanatics are so crazy that they have become the new Webdiary. They’re way beyond parody now.Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 02 19 at 11:37 PM • permalink
- I simply cannot understand how these socioenvironmentalists (coined by RebeccaH?) can constantly revise their predictions on what is happening and still expect people to believe their predictions on how to solve the ‘problem’. It completely defies belief; if somebody working for me did that, I would sack them. No question.
- Lets face, the wackier and more alarming the predictions, the more likely you are to make it onto the front page of a newspaper, or to come to the notice of a senior pollie/government official…..
with reports predicting dire environmental consequences coming out on an almost weekly basis, u have to rev up the hysteria levels pretty high to cut through the clutter and catch anyones attention these days….
so i expect that is why each report seems crazier than the previous one… while it may demolish any level of credibility these “researchers” have with the majority of the population, and ultimately hurts their cause becoz they continue to cry wolf till everyone stops listening, no doubt it helps to be noticed when it comes time for further research grants and funding to be doled out….
- Wronwright, if you tell me I still have not been promoted to henchman in 1000 years I am going to get VERY upset.
Think ‘underwear’ and ‘starch’ – just before the annual henchman’s 500m bar crawl at the VRWC Sports day.
And yes, we have already planted the kunai grass in the arena for the moonbats vs veliciraptor slaughter races. We all know how the Three Great Ones enjoy the event.
And has Richard got his minio0ns back from keating’s place yet?
- Fairly funny to compare what happens when an increased terror level is put out. Remembering there have been attacks,threats, and near misses.
“AAARG BUSHITLERVONSMIRKENPRETZEL is spreading fear Aiee, aiee” followed by ritual denouncing on the newspresses.
Enviro whackos predict earth is getting hotter/colder/variable sometime in the next week/hundred years/millenia and to stop it we must use less fossil fuels/use no fossil fuels/live in caves and eat bugs/its too late were all DOOOMMMED.
Media lap it up as gospel truth.Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 02 20 at 08:15 AM • permalink
- MarkL — They stopped off in London to vote in the BAFTA awards.
That’s the last time I recruit from Wronwright’s Boy Scout troop, I don’t care how many “inclusivity” memos I get.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 20 at 11:19 AM • permalink
- Reduce emmissions to zero might mean walking again. Then let’s see who’s the biggest loser.
Kinda like the tribes in the Middle East and Africa. Back to the Lamb ‘igion.
Reading books that once had blue skies, instead of four wheel drives.
Does everyone know it’s all an illusion anyway?Posted by doleblogger on 2006 02 20 at 08:37 PM • permalink
- Whew, Richard, thanks a bunch. It was HELL keeping that from the MSM, especially as most of the SBS and ABC staff were present, erm… helping to polish Paul’s clock.
So the ‘just on the way to BAFTA, passing by, thought we’d drop in’ schtick worked? Excellent!
Also, why IS Wronwright’s boyscout recruitment inclusivity memo written on Michael Jackson’s personal perfumed letterhead??
- If mankind does not put its house in order, temperatures could have risen by 15C (27F) by the year 3000 and sea levels by more than 11 metres (36ft)…
Sometimes I really wondered about these ‘scientists’. Did they actually studied physic in high school? Archimedes’ Principle people, if all the ice in the artic melts the sea level will not rise 1mm. It is just the same as ice cubes melting in a glass of water, will the water level in the glass rise? No! These ‘scientists’ are just fear mongerer, plain and simple.
- Real Estate on the moon at $19.99 US per acre! Now who’s laughing?Posted by tim maguire on 2006 02 21 at 02:17 PM • permalink
- Yibin: that assumes only artic ice will melt, which, of course, isn’t the case.
Lots of ice currently sitting on land will melt (under this theory), and will (under this theory) raise sea levels.Posted by tim maguire on 2006 02 21 at 02:21 PM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages