The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 12:34 pm
I’ve never burned a flag (books are more my thing) but I can’t imagine it being very difficult; obtain flag, ignite, shouted slogans optional. But socialists actually require a flag-burning kit:
A socialist youth organisation wants to sell hundreds of flag burning kits to university students next week … to highlight anger at the Federal Government.
Resistance says the kits contain an Australian flag, a lighter, a fire lighting cube and Resistance material.
They’ll be sold during university orientation week for five dollars.
A suggestion to any patriotic and entrepreneurial types on Australian campuses: buy as many of these kits as possible. A massive profit is yours for the taking once you re-package these kits as “Resistance Roasters”. All you need do is add the following instructions, and you should be able to on-sell the kits for $10 each:
Step 1: Carefully unfold the enclosed Australian flag and display it reverently in a prominent location.
Step 2: Remove the enclosed Resistance material in as rough a manner as possible.
Step 3: Wrap the Resistance material around the enclosed fire lighting cube and set the lot ablaze with the enclosed lighter.
Step 4: Remark to any nearby Resistance member that the blazing Resistance material doesn’t seem particularly resistant. Sing the national anthem.
UPDATE. Resistance is accused of price gouging and profiteering. Shame!
- I couldn’t believe this when I saw it before over at NewsBump. Actually, that’s a great site for breaking news of this sort. Highly recommended.Posted by loneranger on 2006 02 18 at 07:07 AM • permalink
- How about marketing “connect-the-dots” Muhammed cartoons?
When the last dot is connected, it ignites into flames.Posted by perfectsense on 2006 02 18 at 07:08 AM • permalink
- Hey, there could be a market for some ‘other’ kits:
1. Zimbabwe student rights kit: containing some masking tape and a yet to be used genitally applied, electrode.
2. Anti-Government welfare kit:
containing a packet of seeds, a small flask of water. The outer bag can be used as both shelter and clothing
- I wonder how it could meet the Trade Practices Act requirement that it be both fit for and safe for normal use, it is after all, an arson kit.
Also containing the ignition source, kindling and fuel in the one package hardly seems safe, I wonder if the Uni is aware of the danger and any liabilities it might incur from allowing its sale on campus?Posted by Harry Buttle on 2006 02 18 at 07:32 AM • permalink
- They’ll be sold during university orientation week …
And Student Unions were about sport not politics.
I guess Resistance won’t object to me burning copies of the Koran, a symbol of Islam, seeing as the flag is a symbol of a free Western country.
I’ll sell packaged Koran-kits, with directions for either burnings and flushings… or a combination of the two.
- Do these ratbags know that every country in the world has a national flag, yes every frigging one. And the desecration of such a national symbol is usually offensive. But I’m not going to burn my britches, or flag, because of the silly socialist people having pyromaniac tendencies. What happened to discussion and talk? Australia is the FREEST country in the world. It is, despite what others might post here, and we have these arseholes trying to destabilise us from within.
This I believe.
- I had heard, but may be wrong, that Dick Smith (Owner of a large electronics retail chain in Oz)is a funder of the resistance mob. I got it from a unreliable source and have never known how to go about checking.
Can anyone enlighten my ignorance??
What is it about totalinarianism that so attracts “free thinkers” in the Unis?Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 02 18 at 08:23 AM • permalink
- Frolliking mole, I’d be very interested o know more about this. I have a very strong impression that Dick Smith is a wanker.Posted by Susan Norton on 2006 02 18 at 08:31 AM • permalink
- I like the idea of the “Resistence Roasters”. If I was in the Liberal Club on campus, I’d buy 10 of the kits and convert them, then sell them from my stall.
Or else, make a cheaper kit and undercut the competition. Either way it should piss off the ratbags.Posted by Evil Pundit on 2006 02 18 at 08:33 AM • permalink
- Here’s my idea for a flag-burning kit. Kit includes one Australian flag printed on A4 paper, five liters of petrol and a Bic lighter.
Place flag on ground – a hard non-porous surface like concrete works best.
Gather lefty friends around flag – get as close as possible for best view and to prevent flag blowing away in wind.
Pour entire contents of petrol container onto flag – allow at least one minute to ensure flag is throughly wetted.
Bend down and light flag using Bic lighter.
Enjoy (your trip to the burn ward).
- Update on my post # 13. Results of Googling “Dick Smith” and the loony Stalinist rag “Green Left Weekly” suggests he is at least well-regarded by the latter.Posted by Susan Norton on 2006 02 18 at 08:45 AM • permalink
- Susan Norton
It was a couple of years ago, his name was mentioned as funding the resistance group with regaurds to the immigration centres.
He was portrayed as a “nice bloke” who just happened to be concerned when he had actually been quite involved for a while.
it may have been a one off but my UNreliable source says different.
On topic, does that mean the flag burning will be as “unco-ordinated” as the muslim protests then?Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 02 18 at 09:08 AM • permalink
- I hope the instructions are bilingual, Arab-English. We don’t want the perception of cultural insensitivity.Posted by Mystery Meat on 2006 02 18 at 09:35 AM • permalink
- Every extreme left student I’ve ever met (and I’ve met a few) has, without exception, come from an upper class or upper middle class family.
It’s a childish rebellion against mummy and daddy more then anything, most of them grow out of it and the ones that don’t… well I guess some people are just tossers.
- Resist the urge to be a fucking socialist, kids.Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 02 18 at 10:59 AM • permalink
- Hey, if these assholes weren’t doing this, they’d probably be marketing bumfight or upskirt voyeur vids. At least this keeps them from bothering the winos…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 18 at 11:02 AM • permalink
- Rush Week at the University of Sydney
Yes, I’ve posted this pic before, but dammit, it’s just the gift that keeps on giving…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 02 18 at 11:09 AM • permalink
- What would be worthwhile, is to buy a couple of these kits, take out the Australian flags and display them prominently around campus, say at least in each building…
Then take firelighters and any printed material, wrap around a 20-50 litre container of petrol, arranged in a molotov cocktail configuration, use the lighter, and then throw it into wherever this social youth organisation’s club/HQ is, and then maybe sell popcorn to bystanders who can enjoy the view…
i’d certainly pay money to see some of these sodding wankers do a slow burn, with attendant screams….
- Didn’t Mr McEnroe have a medium-sized factory in southwestern Ohio manufacturing those magnesium-&-phosphorus flagstaffs? Wouldn’t this be a good time to give away as many free samples as possible? How many trucks and how many minions would that take? Dammit, where’s my calculator?Posted by Stoop Davy Dave on 2006 02 18 at 11:25 AM • permalink
- A socialist youth organisation wants to sell hundreds of flag burning kits to university students next week
VIVA LA CAPITALISMOS!!Posted by tim maguire on 2006 02 18 at 02:08 PM • permalink
What is it about totalinarianism that so attracts “free thinkers” in the Unis?
A belief that after being spoon-fed socialism by their professors, they’re smarter than anyone else.Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 02 18 at 04:47 PM • permalink
- Yeah, Dave, but they’ll still have to master sharpening rocks before they’ll be dangerous. That’s a grad school subject, above their level.Posted by Michael Lonie on 2006 02 18 at 05:47 PM • permalink
- As business people we’ve done some research into this and we believe, rather than making a horrendous profit, these socialist types will end us making a loss, as usual.
Consider these prices:
6” x 4” (150 x 100mm) flag ‘handwavers’ – $2.75ea
12 pack of firelighters – $2.77
Disposable lighter approx – $2 each
Include photocopying of socialist literature – 10 cents (1 sheet)
1000 Plastic baggies from ebay $65 including postage (approx) – 6.5 cents each
That comes to $5.15 cents wholesale which means an operating loss of 15 cents per kit – presuming they actually got a good deal on the baggies. Of course that doesn’t take into account labour in assembling the bags nor, sales on the day.
No wonder they hate capitalism…
—NoraPosted by The Thin Man Returns on 2006 02 18 at 07:16 PM • permalink
We have lovely stuff on site called stench gas. Used as a warning system if the radio goes down in the underground.
Its well named.
expensive though, an older minesite will probably have some out of date cylinders lying around though.
Not that Id ever condone opening and throwing in a cylinder (4 kg) into a resistance bookshop though!!!Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 02 18 at 07:58 PM • permalink
- The most worrying thing about this is the commodification of flag-burning. Next thing, fordism- we’ll find that one person takes the flag out, another person is needed to soak it in flammable liquid, another to light it, another to read from Resistance material, etc., etc. You’ve got to hand it to these guys & girls- they’re distributing stupidity to the masses, and surprisingly there are some at universities who lap it up.Posted by dover_beach on 2006 02 18 at 08:53 PM • permalink
- Oh, and also, think of the potential law suits-selling combustibles and a lighter-this may spell the end of Resistance. All it takes is one fool and they have them in abundance.Posted by dover_beach on 2006 02 18 at 09:01 PM • permalink
- #22 Tancred – In my uni years (almost finished – one to go) I have met a large number of what we’ve come to refer to as “psycho left”, the out-of-touch-with-reality left. I too have found that in 90% of cases they come from upper middle class families where the family is either right wing or swing between left and right on a moderate level.
As for these flag burning kits, I like the idea of water pistols. Might just tip a couple of bottles of water on them for fun. Will have a hunt around uni this week and see what can be done.Posted by Mr Brightside on 2006 02 18 at 09:02 PM • permalink
- #40 dover_beach – I smell a “how many resistance members does it take to change a lightbulb” coming on…Posted by Mr Brightside on 2006 02 18 at 09:04 PM • permalink
- Argh! I wondered if the Resistance bookshop was the same as Bob Gould’s. It turns out they’re not the same but here you will find that Trotskyite Bob Gould (who someone has said became a multi-millionaire selling second-hand books!) started off his anti-Vietnam protestings back in the mid-60s with one John Percy (and someone else). When Gould’s shop was in Goulburn Street Resistance operated out of one of the back rooms. I remember some long-haired fellow sitting in one of these rooms blathering on about paper tigers and getting women to make him cups of tea since, come the revolution, all women’s problems would automatically be fixed. Got to have been one of the Percys.
Later (very early 70s?) on there was a split and the Percy brothers took over Resistance which is now the youth arm of the DSP (Democratic Socialist Perspective) and guess who is the party’s national secretary. None other than John Percy. Still. After all these years.
The good thing is that he’s so old he has to fall off the perch pretty soon. Maybe we can then expect DSP and Resistance to die along with him.
- Resistance members are usually Arts students, which is why they need all the instruction they can get.
I saw one of these youngsters on Sunrise this morning and he looked about twelve and was about as articulate as, well, someone who is twelve. They certainly know how to get publicity, though. They are generally kids from wealthy backgrounds who find the Labor Left too much of a sell-out, until they want to pursue a political career that is.
Most members of Resistance end up dropping out (that is, growing up) or joining another party.Posted by Major Anya on 2006 02 19 at 12:42 AM • permalink
- #35 How do they get financed?
Nice, fatherly millionaires like DS may be contributing, or may not. We know this much, though. Most campuses have a Resistance “club” which can register with the student union (sometimes run by the same people, often by their friends), and then apply for funds. These funds are, as we all know, obtained from compulsory union fees from all the other poor bastards who are just trying to get a degree.
Compulsory union fees for all university students has been the life-blood of the extreme left movements on campus. Doddery old socialists in Arts faculties rank a very distant second.
So, I’m an optimist. I’m predicting that this kind of bullshit will disappear once compulsory unionism goes, and they don’t have their intravenous money-drip any more.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 02 19 at 01:07 PM • permalink
- Is this the same uni that has suicide bombing seminars as well here in australia?
Or is this the same university that has the Professor who says she’d be a suicide bomber if in ME countries?
Universities are a great breeding ground for free radical creative thinking. I like how the student had a t shirt on that was from an Islamic country. Must be doing a david hicks.
What happend to free showbags?
Heres one of the little darlings doing a radio intervew with our ABC.
At least the ABC left in the ums and aars as the brain cell struggled with rational questions.
Heard the interview painful sounding bitch moaning on as usual.Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 02 20 at 05:40 AM • permalink
- #56 Onya Frollicking – heard this on ABC local this AM.
We’re in pretty desperate times and, like, we don’t… I guess, like, you know, we’re taking desperate measures, you know, to promote discussion and activity around these really important issues, like, yeah… and I think young people who are radically inclined and who actually want to create a better world are going to respond to this.
Yeah, like, and you are gonna, like, have an articulate, like, discussion with Ms Riethmuller…. like…
Page 1 of 1 pages
Up to the plate steps Abdul Lennon Galloway Fisk leading Leftie for Crapshoot-on-the-Wold, with Flag Burning Kit at the ready ; dressed in red with suicide bomber belt, AK47
and RPG slung over shoulder…
Unwraps it ….lights…..when…
Constable Plod of Her Majesty’s Finest :
“Right son, you’re up for it…you should know better than smoking in public…”