The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:31 am
Hugh Hewitt and Mark Steyn discuss MSM treatment of a recent newsworthy image:
Hewitt: It’s nowhere to be found. A blogger in Los Angeles, Aaron, went through the 520 newspapers online, found it is in two front pages. And my inbox is seething with e-mail with on duty, active duty soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines from all around the world, and the media is indifferent, contemptuous, even.
Steyn: But you know, what is, I find, interesting about this is why is newspaper circulation falling in America? It’s because these guys don’t know … these guys don’t recognize a story. They’re world class boors at the New York Times and the L.A. Times, because whatever you feel, whichever party you support, that photograph of ordinary American troops getting their own back on John Kerry is hilarious. It’s the classic definition of comedy. It’s the rich guy slipping on the banana skin … That picture is a great picture. And if you don’t have the news value to recognize that that’s a front page picture, it’s no wonder your circulation is dropping 8, 9% every time they take, they measure the temperature of the body.
Those folks don’t know jokes.
- I did see it once on CNN yesterday too. Maybe it’s a dinosaur media thing too and not just a DNC partisan issue?Posted by andycanuck on 2006 11 05 at 01:03 PM • permalink
They’re world class boors at the New York Times and the L.A. Times…
I have to go with this. Most days, tabloids like the National Enquirer outshine the New York Times.Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 11 05 at 01:30 PM • permalink
- And here’s another photo that won’t be in the print media, via Power Line:
(Along with a good Kerry story too.)Posted by andycanuck on 2006 11 05 at 01:34 PM • permalink
- Andycanuck, thanks for the link; I roared when I saw it.Posted by Sonetka’s Mom on 2006 11 05 at 01:40 PM • permalink
- Ridicule is defiance, and nobody is more defiant, and with better reason, than the US military. Even if John Kerry (spit be upon him) hitches up the nerve to run in ‘08, the military will be all over him like white on rice. He hasn’t even seen ridicule of himself yet, and his buddies in the MSM won’t be able to protect him.
- Steyn’s comment seems to be proven thanks to David Brooks of the NYT on Newshour discussing Kerry’s “bad joke”:
But, you know, this is just a soap opera. I think most of us are paying attention to the real issues. Let the bloggers have this one.
Brooks would be one journalist I do read a bit but there definited seems to be a difference between what readers want to know about and what many journalists believe readers should be told. No wonder blogs have taken off.
- If the sign had read GET US THE FUCK OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW GEORGE W BUSH!!!
…No prizes for guessing.Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2006 11 05 at 08:31 PM • permalink
- #9 Not that CNN isn’t an organ of the DNC, Grimmy, (guess what organ I have in mind), but I’m just suggesting that maybe it would be harder for CNN to ignore it than a broadsheet (especially a weekend edition).Posted by andycanuck on 2006 11 05 at 11:03 PM • permalink
- Those six Minnesotans have given us the Iwo Jima picture of our generation.Posted by Tommy Shanks on 2006 11 05 at 11:15 PM • permalink
- Oops: Those EIGHT Minnesotans (unless two are from Iowa or Wisconsin).Posted by Tommy Shanks on 2006 11 05 at 11:17 PM • permalink
- I have to disagree.
I bet they did know the newsworthiness of that photo.
The problem? There’s an election to win and they just don’t want to give Joe Six-pack too much information. It confuses him and makes him vote for the wrong party. Better to just keep that under wraps so nobody will see it.
If this had happened in 2007, that photo would have been all over every news outlet.
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.