The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 3rd, 2017 at 11:51 am
SBS news last night referred to the “grim milestone” of America’s 1000th execution since 1977. Like an earlier grim milestone, this particular grim milestone threatens to establish a grim milestone for repetition of the phrase ”grim milestone”. In a Maryland county, however, a more telling grim milestone is noted:
Prince George’s County reached a grim milestone late Monday, recording its 155th homicide of the year—an all-time record number of killings.
Hmm. Only seven killers—who between them murdered nine people—are currently on Maryland’s death row. Further debate on the US death penalty here.
UPDATE. In other grim milestone news, I’d missed that this site recorded its five millionth hit a few weeks ago. That’s five million since last December; as well, comments hits are closing in on two million.
- On 1 December Bette Midler met the grim milestone of her 60th birthday.Posted by Some0Seppo on 2005 12 02 at 11:20 AM • permalink
- Well, if a guy can’t just cut and paste something from his blog into the comments, what is this country coming to?
A SPECIAL WEB OFFER FOR READERS OF THIS WEBSITE!
-Don’t miss this opportunity to cash-in on a major mistake by one of the leading sources of fine faux stoneware! It’s time for YOU to have a beautiful example of media-approved statuary FOR YOUR VERY OWN! International Agglomnatron Industries, in association with Blammo! Products, are proud to announce an overstock sale on fine, genuine FAUXSTONE “Grim Milestones!” These fine examples of the moldmaker’s art were ordered in quantity by major mass media outlets in the fall of 2005, and though many were used, large amounts remain unsold, and that means BIG BARGAINS FOR YOU! Originally $599.99, marked down to the amazing price of $39.99! THAT’S $39.99! Just in time for Halloween! And it will be the perfect gift for that Wiccan in your life for Solstice! Goths like ‘em too! FAUXSTONE is also used for making fine items like “plastic” turkey centerpieces for festive holiday meals, and we all know that once made, these things last almost forever!
Since the overwhelming demand for “Grim Milestones” put a big dent in the original production, only 2 “Grim Milestones” per customer, please. Because informed media sources are sure there will be no tomorrow, ORDER TODAY! Just send $39.99 + $9.55 p&h to:
3562 Sulzberger Street
Jayson Blair Terrace, NY 00001
Attn: Dan in the Mailroom
- A majority of the homicides have occurred near the border between the county and the District of Columbia.
Gee, what a surprise. DC’s exporting its scum now, apparently.
who between them murdered eleven people
Only nine actually. The first two killers’ victims are the same, according to the link. Interesting, too, that all victims are white, while the perpetrators are 5 black, 2 white…perhaps black-on-black violence doesn’t attract much attention from the MD justice system?
BTW, Prince George’s County (as in George W. Bush, surely!) is neighboured by Howard County…or perhaps I should say, HoWARd County? Who is really responsible for all these homicides, I ask?
- Ah, should’ve scrolled down on the site.
Maryland’s death Row is one of the most racially biased in the nation. 69% of the men on death row are African American.
100% of the murder victims of the men on death row are White. This is true even though African Americans persistently constitute over 80% of the victims of homicide in the state of Maryland.
Well, if you’re pretty much assured of not getting the death penalty for murdering black people, no wonder that rate is persistently at 80%…
- <<<<Maryland’s death Row is one of the most racially biased in the nation. 69% of the men on death row are African American.
100% of the murder victims of the men on death row are White. This is true even though African Americans persistently constitute over 80% of the victims of homicide in the state of Maryland.>>>>>
I think it was janet reno who said ,“we need more equality in the death sentence,we need to kill more white men”
- PW — In New York City, before I left, we had the privilege of seating a criminal court judge who censured a prosecutor for his excessive rhetoric, saying, “it’s only a murder, counselor. And we’re talking about an 18-year-old boy here.”Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 12 02 at 11:53 AM • permalink
In other grim milestone news, I’d missed that this site recorded its five millionth hit a few weeks ago. That’s five million since last December; as well, comments hits are closing in on two million.
Yes, but cut out the oafish (Richard McEnroe, The Real Jeff S, Dave S, but not me) comments. Then cut out the infantile (RebeccaH, Iowahawk, sortelli, but not me) comments. And then cut out Andrea’s smackdown comments. Then how many do you have?Posted by wronwright on 2005 12 02 at 12:01 PM • permalink
- Funny how the MSM, who love to tell us about the grim milestones such as the “200th marine with jock itch since may of 2002”, seem unable (or, gasp! un-willing) to give us a count of how many iraqis have been slaughtered by the ‘minutemen’ insurgents they admire so much.Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2005 12 02 at 12:18 PM • permalink
I think Tim is referring to the number of times the comments page has been accessed, not the number of comments made, which is somewhere south of 80,000.
But, just for kicks, here are the numbers:
You’ve got quite a bit of catching up to do.
Meanwhile, we’re rapidly reaching the grim milestone of 1,000 Administrator comments. No telling how many dead trolls her hegemony of destruction has left in its wake…
- The first execution of 1977 was rock.Posted by chinesearithmetic on 2005 12 02 at 01:30 PM • permalink
- Well, maybe Tim didn’t actually have 2 million comments, but it sure seems like it. For example, every hurtful statement Richard McEnroe makes with regards to my abilities and competence as an aspiring evil neocon has a weight of 10 of RebeccaH’s (very nice Laura Ashley like spring day in the clover type) comments. Maybe 100. He’s a WMD, a cluster bomb, spraying his …
(reaches into bag of metaphors, leaves “plastic turkey” in bag)
… shrapnel of sharp edged zingers that rains destruction on the fair lands of timblairville.
I think he should be barred.Posted by wronwright on 2005 12 02 at 02:22 PM • permalink
- #14: What is this? Dissension among the Rovers? Internal strife? Karl needs you people, now buck up and put these petty jealousies aside. Unless you want to wind up in one of his re-education camps. I spent an hour in one yesterday for blowing arbed’s cover, and, hey, you want to talk torture? Picture being bound to a chair in a bright room and having to listen to Ted Kennedy’s secretly-recorded pick-up lines (“Hey, what’s your sign? Mine’s Aquarius, er, I mean, Gemini”).
And about that free coffee mug. I hope it’s clear that it should be a new, “Tim Blair” mug, not “one of Tim Blair’s mugs”, especially not the cracked one with Zell miller’s head photo-shopped onto a koala bear.
- Gosh, in almost thirty years the US has executed almost as many people as live in my apartment complex! Or, almost twice as many as were in my High School graduating class, 1963! Or about two percent as many as die in road accidents each year!
Well, that’s us bloodthirsty cowboys for ya.
Yes, I have my reservations about the death penalty, as I do about a number of laws – but not to the point of wanting to abolish it.Posted by John Anderson on 2005 12 02 at 03:08 PM • permalink
- Only 910? I’m slipping.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2005 12 02 at 03:36 PM • permalink
every hurtful statement Richard McEnroe makes with regards to my abilities and competence
That’s “with regard to your (alleged) abilities and (questionable) competence, isn’t it now?Posted by Stoop Davy Dave on 2005 12 02 at 05:00 PM • permalink
- Hey! Where’d my other quotey mark go? And how am I going to get notified if anybody replies to this important comment?Posted by Stoop Davy Dave on 2005 12 02 at 05:03 PM • permalink
- Stooped Shoulders,
I distinctly discern a slur of the words as you blathered that rather worthless assemblage of consonants sprinkled with a vowel or two. Where in the name of Tim Blair’s holy yet empty refrigerator did you find some XXXX bitter? I would think you’ve quickly worn out your welcome in every neocon’s abode you’re deposited your unhumanly thirsty body.
I’ve even heard that placed a drink limit on you at the Neocon Club. Something about Cheney being “not very pleased” (shudders) when they were throwing a party for Scooter and the bitter tap went dry. When his lordship asked “who is responsible” (shudders again), one lone but brave voice piped up and mentioned your name. I won’t divulge your accuser’s name but I will only say that he’s a very worthly candidate for entry into the Evil Death Cult Known as Neoconservatism. And damn good looking to boot.Posted by wronwright on 2005 12 02 at 09:57 PM • permalink
Please don’t swing that Fist of Death at me darling. You know how you are when you drink just one bottle of XXXX bitter.
McEnroe’s comments are not valued at 10 or 100 times yours. They weigh 10 or 100 times what yours do.
Your comments are lithe, slim, and petite. They’re quite pretty and especially becoming in red wool and white artic fox (endangered) trim. McEnroe’s comments, on the other hand, are lumbering, plodding like the great pasture grazers and dung heapers of the Great Plains.
Your comments are special. His, not.Posted by wronwright on 2005 12 02 at 10:10 PM • permalink
- In the MSM (Australia) today, the usual suspects witter on about how bad the death penalty is and heartlessness of SE Asia and the USA. Nothing about victims, of course, which makes Pro-death Penalty such a delighful refresher.
There has never been a referendum on the death penalty in Australia and there never will be. We know why that is.
John Howard stumbled on this issue, saying the death penalty is wrong because you might condemn an innocent party. Two flaws with this argument: life imprisonment is better if you’re innocent? And we don’t use British standards of policing and justice in Australia.Posted by walterplinge on 2005 12 02 at 11:36 PM • permalink
- Sbs improves on portraying Alex Downer as a heartless sociopath sipping champagne while stating that he is studying reports on Van Nguyen,who was recently executed in Singapore.
They portrayed John Howard (also in a still photograph) beaming between the Australian Cricket Captain and the West Indies Cricket Captain whilst commenting on his attendance”amid complaints”.He was in fact in his office at the time of the execution,reflecting on the situation.
- ABC P.M. content last night..Lab speaker about Gov ads “they needed the old Goebbels Propaganda Machine”.
Then another Grim Milestone..Bob Brown flip flopping on the U.S. (in order to have a shot at our treasurer Pete) “in the U.S. they’re(reserve) WISE enough to ,,”
then Van Nguyen’s execution and unyummy mummy Spot Destroya..“this is a tragic and demeaning day for Australia” and “I held onto my own little son a bit more than usual today”..
then Bob again”much more could have been done for Van – he should have been extradited “(blame Feds and Howard)
then a group of lawyers one of whom said “P hilip Ruddock is a man who LOOKS LIKE AN UNDERTAKER and is a LIAR. Alexander Downer who says he has done everything he could is a LIAR..” and they should have gone to the U.N.
Followed by complaints on new anti terror laws by the Muslim Community.
“a Govt backed report will tell John Howard that the Govt has FAILED them.Arrests make them feel threatened,ask them to tell US wht they NEED to feel part of the population.We can see why they feel THE MOST DISCRIMINATED against..Then an anglo muslim woman says “I feel genuine FEAR in the community,Muslims aren’t ALIENS -we LOVE Australia this is our HOME.We’re really NORMAL people.More funds are needed and a govt advertising campaign. Sedition and Detention laws VIOLATE our CIVIL RIGHTS. We should be promoting harmony…
Govt spokesman…“Yes and my answer is team sport-football,netball-Guides where the kids will meet others and the Mums and Dads too.
Followed by the BAD defence forces not compensating the ill F11 mechanics then rugby coach sacking then the Beethoven manuscript found in EVIL Pennsylvania in an EVIL seminary.then Finance and another crack at Mr Gerard reserve banker.
- 22 little w
I distinctly discern a slur of the words as you blathered that rather worthless assemblage of consonants sprinkled with a vowel or two.
Whuchoo talkin bout?
I would think you’ve quickly worn out your welcome in every neocon’s abode you’re deposited your unhumanly thirsty body
And who can blame them? That’s why I’ve moved into your house. What, you didn’t notice how your non-stop field-work and the “seemingly”-malicious haphazard scheduling of your intercontenintal lake-filching jaunts keep you away from your so-called home ALMOST CONTINUOUSLY? Did you think that was all accidental? HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!Posted by Stoop Davy Dave on 2005 12 04 at 01:48 AM • permalink
- 22 lesser w, still pranging on…
I’ve even heard that placed a drink limit on you at the Neocon Club.
Ever since that new kid at the door carded me, they don’t even let me IN to the NC any more. They finally noticed the “libertarian” watermark on my ID, and now they make me sit outside with Dave S, on the atheist bench. Fuckers.Posted by Stoop Davy Dave on 2005 12 04 at 01:53 AM • permalink