The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 07:38 am
It’s a jihad against the West (Coast Eagles):
The spiritual leader of Australia’s Muslims, Sheik Taj al-Din al-Hilaly, has joined in the football grand final fever hype – and he’s backing the Sydney Swans all the way.
The mufti was disappointed when his NRL team – the Canterbury Bulldogs – did not make it to the grand final and is now relying on the Sydney Swans to redeem the state’s sporting reputation.
The self-confessed avid sports fan said he wanted the Swans to bring the cup home again this year.
Wearing a Sydney Swans scarf over his traditional Islamic dress robe, the mufti was not afraid to show off his athletic skills by kicking a ball around in Lakemba in Sydney’s west this week.
In other jihad news, Fremantle fans are also aligned with Sydney. Check their poll. For what it’s worth, I’m tipping a West Coast blowout win.
- So he follow Rugby League and Australian Rules Football, if he follows Rugby Union as well then I’m going to guess that he isn’t a fan the Canterbury Crusaders.Posted by Ross on 2006 09 29 at 03:37 PM • permalink
- 81Alpha, it’s OK because we use cow skin for all our footballs.
The problem is his allegiance to ‘Canterbury’ [the 1500 year old base of the Christian infidels in Britain.] and ‘Bulldogs’, the symbol of the British furiously resisting any foreign interfrence.
But since he’s talking to us infidels, he doesn’t have to tell us the truth, does he?
- Brian: Yeah, sure he’s “trying” to show how ‘Aussie’ he is.
Next, expect him to be:
* In the bookies ring on the First Tuesday in November;
* In his budgie smugglers on the harbour at the start of the Sydney Hobart;
* Legless on Bondi on New Years Day;
* Pie ‘n sauce in one hand and a middie in the other during the Ashes, calling out “Pommy Wankers!”
Sure he will….Posted by Stop Continental Drift! on 2006 09 29 at 06:44 PM • permalink
- He is one funny dude…good on ya Sheikh!!!!
Posted by: Tareck of Punchbowl 8:14am today
“we believe that the mofti hilali is showing the right face for the australian muslim community. We all support the sydney swans because of the mofti.”
That’s one of the comments about the article.
The problem is, this is to get back at Cardinal Pell a real lover of the football if I recall. And just a chance to get himself in the paper.
Flippin’ heck! In a fit of taqia inspired Aussieness the Sheik might go the streak at the MCG!
How long is his beard?
Not bloody long enough.
Personally I like to see him define his dinkum credentials by renaming himself the Sheik of Scrubby Creek
- #9, Exactly! SCD,
I felt sick when I saw the picture.
He probably thought the ball was some kind of grenade. Thus, if Hezbollah start engaging in a bit of kick to kick with Israel, lobbing a few innocent, Sherrin’Torpedoes’ into Haifa, you know where the idea first came from.
As for the game, I think the Swans will win, just. I think the Eagles are ‘hard at the ball’ though the Swans have great fitness, dont often get perturbed if they are behind and have a coach who is better tactic wise than Wankers’-breath Worsfold.
- What the hell is wrong with you people?
Yez all whinge and moan about MOMEA not being with the program, now here’s a bloke who is trying his best and you bag him.
Go the Swans (from a Fremantle Supporter)Posted by Latte Libertarian on 2006 09 29 at 09:30 PM • permalink
- RebeccaH (#16) gets the chocolate frog for the best comment this week.
Go Weagles.Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2006 09 30 at 02:32 AM • permalink
“We’re the Eagles, the West Coast Eagles, and we’re here to show you why. . . . . . . “
*wanders off in the direction of the beer fridge*Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2006 09 30 at 03:14 AM • permalink
- Can anyone capture a gaffe by the ABC news page, they are showing eagles as winners not having lost by 4 points?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1752684.htmPosted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 09 30 at 03:33 AM • permalink
- My bad, switched the telly off to soom.
/slink away in shamePosted by thefrollickingmole on 2006 09 30 at 03:38 AM • permalink
- Just back from the G. Totally gutted at the Swans loss. But still they ground out a competitive second half.
I do have the hot news for next year. The good sheik will have his very own team to support. Essendon are heavily recuiting Muslims.
Next year with good reason they will be called the Bombers.
- #36: Slammer, Perth is unbearable every week.Posted by neoZionoid on 2006 09 30 at 06:50 AM • permalink
- Up yours, slammer.
Suffer in yer jocks.Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2006 09 30 at 07:06 AM • permalink
I didn’t write it, it was the headline of the article.
To be honest, the whole thing looks like a pathetic publicity stunt for an extremist who should have been deported from the country years ago but wasn’t due to the Keating government.
The last effort was Hilaly draped in an Aussie flag insisting he “loves this country”. Unfortunately for him, it prompted letters to the editor the next day asking why a guy who “loves the country” so much can’t speak English after 20 plus years.
It would seem a photo of him in an Aussie flag or kicking a football speaks a thousand words, for the Sheik sure as shit can’t.
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.