The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 5th, 2018 at 01:45 pm
Cartoony Sydney Morning Herald leftist Cathy Wilcox:
“Two thousand and five has completely proved to me my ineffectiveness as a cartoonist,” Wilcox says. “Everything I’ve tried to stop or change hasn’t.”
- Modest isn’t she?Posted by Go Canucks on 2005 12 30 at 02:28 PM • permalink
- The hell with that, Go Canucks..what I want to know is: what the hell is wrong with Brenden Morrison?Posted by NewSisyphus on 2005 12 30 at 04:01 PM • permalink
- “Everything I’ve tried to stop or change hasn’t.”
Keep up the good work.Posted by Mystery Meat on 2005 12 30 at 04:43 PM • permalink
“Seventy per cent of people are quite happy about the dreadful things being done at any given time. So the pockets of resistance are stronger, more vocal – and less effective.”
Not even the slightest consideration that maybe the 70% is right, and she’s wrong. No, the other side is “dreadful”, and that’s all there is.
- Advice to cartoonists:
Please stop the unfunny stuff – Moir seems to think it is funny to show Howard with one eye – it is Moir who has the one-eyed view. One the credit side his Police Holidays On The Beach and Packer Goes To Heaven Reluctantly were good.
Wilcox may have been a bit tongue-in-left-cheek in those comments. However, if cartoonists think they are going to change the fortunes of their (apparently) much loved ALP by continuing to put shit on Howard, they are ignoring the bleeding obvious. Voters are more alike to Kerry Packer than to Kerry Nettle.
- You’re a cartoonist, Wilcox. Shut up and draw.
— NickPosted by The Thin Man Returns on 2005 12 30 at 05:28 PM • permalink
- #10 Healthy Harold:
Ramsey has made an art form on pointless political pieces and rabid rants on Howard … I’d like to think Ramsey would be out of a job when Howard retires, but Ramsey practices on Abbott and Downer just in case I suppose … Leunig is another loony … BTW, a Leunig calendar fell out of the SMH a few weeks ago … and it was the perfect size for the bottom of the birdcage …
“Everything I’ve tried to stop or change hasn’t.”
*Steeples fingers* Excellent…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 12 30 at 09:17 PM • permalink
- Well, nobody beats Leunig for cartoons, ummm, gold. Half the time I don’t even know what he is on about or what he is on for that matter.
It is really naive to think you can change the world with a doodle.
Cartoons, literature, art, whatever, can impact on the culture for good or ill, but it’s a long process of osmosis and not a thing that happens overnight.Posted by Major Anya on 2005 12 30 at 09:26 PM • permalink
- Cartoons that are gold. Honestly, I wish these comments auto-corrected.Posted by Major Anya on 2005 12 30 at 09:27 PM • permalink
Why did you want to coat the bottom of you bird cage with extra shit?
Had the budgie been bad and needed punishing or something. I’m reporting you to PETA for re-education!Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2005 12 30 at 09:38 PM • permalink
- Well, the last SMH before Christmas included several sheets of Leunig gift wrapping paper. Not having a caged bird I added it to our planet’s landfill problem as I had done with his calendar.
I must be unlucky because I only buy the SMH on Saturdays now. I love the idea of scanning there headlines online, being free to criticise the bastards, but not contributing one cent to the chattering arseholes.
- Oops … I forgot this website is sponsored by PETA … what has this site come to when Tim resorts to putting a scantily clad lady on the front page … thefrollickingmole: I let my green budgie out of its cage now and then … a bit like me somehow … Darlene: the only comics weirder than Leunig are Zippy … usually incomprehensible … funny thing is, I quite like Zippy … does anyone else share this fetish?
- My wife loathes Zippy, says she doesn’t understand it. I just find it a waste of space. I understand it, I just don’t care.
As for cartoonists et al changing things, Ms Wilcox: 1)find something needing change; 2) come up with a good alternative; 3)get people’s attention; 4) get people to then consider your alternative; 5) if things don’t change either 6) get more people’s attention, or; 7) go back to 2) and start over, or; 8) get a better alternative/argument, or; 9) get a clue and give up your idiocy.
You’re welcome.Posted by JorgXMcKie on 2005 12 30 at 10:53 PM • permalink
- Leunig outdid himself again playing Grinch in The Australian issue before Christmas. Some blather about some kid praying to have all the presents taken away so he could have space (or something like that, can’t find the link).
You just know he’s the sort of person who, with days to christmas would get down on one knee in front of a young child and, oh so earnestly, explain that there is no Santa.
“Everything I’ve tried to stop or change hasn’t.”
This is bizarre behaviour for the left in that she’s assessing the outcome (or in this case, lack of outcome) from her ‘work’. I was under the impression that results didn’t matter to the left and that it was all about the grand gesture.
Wonders will never cease.Posted by Art Vandelay on 2005 12 31 at 01:29 AM • permalink
- You just know he’s the sort of person who, with days to christmas would get down on one knee in front of a young child and, oh so earnestly, explain that there is no Santa.
Better that than earnestly telling the child that there is a Santa, but that the North Pole is going to sink he and all the elves and all the reindeer (yes, Rudolph, too!) are going to drown because of that evil Chimpy McBushitler.
- Well, she shouldn’t give up, it takes lots of application to become a change-effecting cartoonist like, uh…
… a change-effecting cartoonist such as… er…Posted by Steve Skubinna on 2005 12 31 at 03:47 AM • permalink
- One of the great benefits of reading Fairfax online and not in print is that you are spared the risk of accidentally reading its cartoonist tripe (although you miss John Spooner’s wonderful illustrations too). Being in Melbourne, I’m not exposed to Wilcox’ sniffy preaching, but if it’s anything like Leunig’s or Tandberg’s special brand of left-wing retardation, Sydney’s welcome to it.
It must be either:-
a) Your Arguments are unconvincing to the general public.
b) Mind control by republican death lizards.