The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Maureen Dowd, currently trawling our nation for manly Ozmeat, has a suitor in Syria:
Maureen Dowd, the best and only really worthwhile columnist on the boring New York Times …
Good luck with your flattery ploy, Robert Fisk, although you’ll have to beat off … er … I mean … defeat Tony Jones and Chris Sheil in your quest for Maureen’s hand. Hey, at least Fisk won’t need to prevail over any youngsters:
Newspapers have to deal somehow with the loss of young readers. A former colleague, Rheta Grimsley Johnson, told me she spoke recently to college students interested in writing careers. She could understand them not knowing about Ernie Pyle and Mike Royko. But they’d never heard of Maureen Dowd, either.
- Stop keeping her alive, Tim. Modo unplugged!Posted by chinesearithmetic on 2006 03 01 at 01:45 PM • permalink
- The shame of it is that she has it exactly backwards. How could anybody seriously want to write for a paper and not know who Mike Royko was? (In the US, at least.)
I can’t imagine what the advantage of knowing Modo might be (cautionary tale, perhaps?)Posted by tim maguire on 2006 03 01 at 01:52 PM • permalink
- Ernie Pyle and Mike Royko are big leaguers compared with MoDo and her tired 70s analogies. The ignorance of prospective journalists would explain a lot.
Anyway, good luck to Aussie men as MoDo pursues her quest for studly Ozmeat. I picture her hanging out in dimly lit lounges waiting to get picked up by someone who has had a few too many.
What a shock waking up to that in your bed will be!Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2006 03 01 at 02:04 PM • permalink
Robert Fisk! Why didn’t we think of that? The man loves his periodic beatings, after all.
MoDo as Dominatrix. I should’ve known!Posted by Spiny Norman on 2006 03 01 at 02:08 PM • permalink
- It’s amazing that Fisk and MoDo haven’t already met through some computer dating service; possibly they both posted recent pictures, that might explain the failure to connect (checked out the MoDo picture linked in the earlier post; forget about bingo wings, just cop a gander at that left forearm and claw; strictly “Tales From the Crypt”, man!).
- Yeah, yeah, yeah, you people joke about Fisk and MoDo hooking up. But consider this, what if they reproduced?
Do you seriously want to live in a world populated by their spawn? Do you? DO YOU?
I didn’t think so.Posted by David Crawford on 2006 03 01 at 03:07 PM • permalink
- I do think Ms. Dowd is beyond her breeding years.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 03 01 at 04:14 PM • permalink
- I wish I’d never heard of MoDo.Posted by Barbara Skolaut on 2006 03 01 at 04:20 PM • permalink
- MoDo is past reproduction age unless she’s a Cylon.Posted by Some0Seppo on 2006 03 01 at 04:33 PM • permalink
She could understand them not knowing about Ernie Pyle and Mike Royko.
I can’t. I’ve never taken a journalism class in my life—couldn’t even tell you if my alma mater had such beasts—and I know who they were.
Odd that she didn’t ask them about Duranty, though. He worked for her paper.Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 03 01 at 04:48 PM • permalink
- My heroes in journalism were Royko, Murray Kempton, and the (New York) Daily News’ Lars-Erik Nelson. They died during 1999 and 2000 (Nelson during the weekend of the Florida recount). If they were sassy, saucy or strong, they wouldn’t have been the ones to call it to our attention.Posted by chinesearithmetic on 2006 03 01 at 05:24 PM • permalink
- My God, talking of both Toby Jones and Robert Fisk – I saw Fisk on “Lateline” last night.
The man is fucking insane!
I know this sounds like an easy statement that few here would disagree with, but I am deadly serious. I do not mean it as a mere term of abuse or disparagement.
I have always thought him to be an utter fool and a blind ideologue full of hatred for his own culture. But last night it was as clear as day – this man has a clinical psychiatric disorder. Manic, over-excited, fidgetty, deluded and paranoid.
Fisk appears to be on the verge of some kind of acute psychotic breakdown, or maybe he is going through a periodic manic/delusional phase of a longer term disorder. Either way, he needs serious psychiatic treatment. No bullshit!
- Dowd gives a good interview, at least on Imus, at least the first few times, though she’s turning into a talking head with a set bit now.
I can’t help her finding a man. I think she has enough obvious “issues’’ that everybody once bitten is not interested, and that’s most people.
Translation : no sex.
Men have low standards, but they stick to it
- MoDo special at KFC!
two large thighs
two small breasts
two left wingsPosted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2006 03 01 at 09:04 PM • permalink
- Dear Mr. Fisk,
Keep. Her.Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 03 01 at 09:11 PM • permalink
- MoDo isn’t fit to carry the copy of Pyle or Royko.
As a dilittante of columnists with a traditionalist’s view of the importance of the NYT, MoDo leaves me aghast for the same reason I reject Frank Rich, Paul Krugman, et al. She’s just not very good.
I read that Art Buchwald had his leg removed. MoDo should suck it for the talent that’s in it that she doesn’t have…(apologies for the imagery).
If I ever owned the NYT, I’d pay the big cash to run the following ‘Pop Culture Zeitgeisters’ (in no particular order, ideology, or preference to race or gender):
Mark Steyn, James Lileks, Eric Zorn, Clarence Page, Leonard Pitts, Jonah Goldberg, Tim Blair.
(That last one isn’t just ass kissing. Tim can write!)
I’ll give MoDo this–She’s better than Boston’s Ellen Goodman who makes me think Ellen’s plagiarizing her own 1970’s columns like a “Best of Ann Landers” or “Peanuts”.
Anyone with suggestions on working columnists of the female persuasion to replace MoDo in your “dream NYT”?
- Fisk gives pasty faced ranting giggling sado-masochistic depraved opium-smoking English public school old boy fag-bullying prefects, praised by both Osama Bin Laden and David Irving, trawling the backstreets of Beirut for the latest insight into who controls the US (one guess), a bad name.
- Good luck with your flattery ploy, Robert Fisk, although you’ll have to beat off … er … I mean … defeat Tony Jones and Chris Sheil in your quest for Maureen’s hand.
I doubt MoDo will be able to come between … I mean … break up Tony Jones and Robert Fisk. Those two seem inseparable.Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 03 01 at 11:11 PM • permalink
- #27 Mike 101
I spotted your deliberate mistake. Rather than “lady” you surely meant “bitch”?Posted by Stop Continental Drift! on 2006 03 02 at 05:05 AM • permalink
- MoDo – that voice. Is she, you know, special? Or does she do cartoon voiceovers on the side?Posted by Tony.T.Teacher on 2006 03 02 at 07:21 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages