The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 6th, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Burt Bacharach – yes, Burt Bacharach – indicated his desire back in August that Al Gore’s girl-scaring frightumentary An Inconvenient Truth be screened for students US-wide:
I’d like to see schools all across the country show this film to their students.
What Burt wants, the world delivers:
• Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore’s global warming documentary will be sent to every secondary school in England as part of a campaign to tackle climate change, the government said Friday.
• An Inconvenient Truth will be made available free of charge to every secondary school in Australia …
• The Swedish government will distribute copies of An Inconvenient Truth together with a teaching manual to ALL Swedish high schools.
• Former US Vice President Al Gore’s climate change film, An Inconvenient Truth, will be shown in all of Scotland’s Secondary Schools this year.
• All Flemish Schools get ‘An Inconvenient Truth’
• Zapatero said that this government will see to it that Spain’s educational institutions have access to Gore’s Oscar-nominated documentary on climate change, “An Inconvenient Truth.”
• [An Inconvenient Truth] is required viewing for all students in Norway
Poor kids. Then again, consider the possibilities when Standard Youngster Rebellion kicks in; Burt and Al may accidentally be inspiring a global generation of warmening-mockers. Speaking of, here’s Mark Steyn:
As his spokesperson Kalee Kreider put it (and, incidentally, speaking through a spokesperson is another way Al dramatically reduces his own emissions), the Gores “also do the carbon emissions offset.”
They do the Carbon Emissions Offset? What is that—a ‘60s dance craze? No, it’s way hotter. I mean, cooler. All the movie stars are doing it. In fact, this year’s Oscar goodie-bag that all the nominees get included a year’s worth of carbon offsets. Totally free. So even the stars’ offsets are offset. No wonder that, when they’re off the set, they all do the offset. Look at Leonardo DiCaprio: He’s loaded with ‘em, and the chicks think he’s totally eco-cool. Tall and tan and young and lovely, the boy with carbon offsets goes walking and when he passes each one he passes goes aaaiiieeeeeeeee!
- Education institutions – the last refuge of socialists.Posted by Dave in Chicago on 2007 03 05 at 11:17 AM • permalink
- Oh great. Nice goin Burt. Dickhead.
Brain drops keep fallin from my head…
And the Gores “also do the carbon emissions offset.” I’ll bet they do. This crap is Insanity³ and makes me wonder which is worse: Ruled by Enviro-nazis or Ruled by Muslims. I’m leaning toward the Mohamedites as being the lesser of two evils. The sad thing is that NONE of them will even acknowledge their involvement with this shame 10 years from now.
- The Eco-Messiah sternly talks up the old Nazi comparisons: What we’re facing is an “ecological Holocaust, and “the evidence of an ecological Kristallnacht is as clear as the sound of glass shattering in Berlin.” That 221,000 kilowatt-hours might suggest that, if this is the ecological Holocaust, Gore’s pad is Auschwitz.
I laughed so hard I carbon-offset myself.
- I am listening to former VP Gore and following his example!
I am printing my own carbon emissions offsets and selling them to myself. It’s cost me a bundle, but jlc carbon Investment Mismanagement LLP is doing OK.
I’m looking for takeover offers right now as I have single-handedly put Canada on track to meet its Y2Kyoto targets.Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 11:40 AM • permalink
- “Standard Youngster Rebellion”
I thought I’d invented that concept:
(Jonathan is me)Posted by ThinAndBritish on 2007 03 05 at 12:18 PM • permalink
- All the global warming worshipping stars at the oscars get free ‘off sets’ in their goody bags? Why am I not surprised?
With Al Gore in town, they all needed to crank up the heat. And now they can without guilt. Guilt, like sacrifice, is for the little people.Posted by tim maguire on 2007 03 05 at 12:49 PM • permalink
- (There’s) Always Some Warm Air to Remind Me
That Steyn column is packed with goodness. My favorite part is Al’s Nazi analogies!Posted by Jim Treacher on 2007 03 05 at 12:58 PM • permalink
- England, Australia, Scotland, Sweden, Spain… I see the US is not mentioned. Heh, and they call us stupid…
By the way I buy my indulgences from People Against Carbon Offsets.Posted by Not My Problem on 2007 03 05 at 01:20 PM • permalink
- #12 NMP
jlc has subsidiary called People Appropriating Carbon Offsets for those uncomfortable with the whole LLP thingPosted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 01:25 PM • permalink
- What a shocker…the socialists in the western school systems are pushing the idea that unless we have an all-powerful, totalitarian government (to save us from SUVs)…we’re all doomed.
I never would have predicted that one.Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 03 05 at 01:53 PM • permalink
- “I finally saw “An Inconvenient Truth” the other night, and it scared the life out of me. I was stunned at the reality of it all…”—Burt
As long as the world is populated by fools and idiots, socialism will never lack for adherents.Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 03 05 at 01:56 PM • permalink
Then again, consider the possibilities when Standard Youngster Rebellion kicks in …
A small subset of students might rebel, but Standard Youngster Rebellion is quite consistent with PC conformity.Posted by Bill Ramey on 2007 03 05 at 02:27 PM • permalink
- The left are placing a huge bet here. If they had any idea how shaky the ‘science’ was, in fact it is crumbling beneath them even now, they would hold back. They are potentially creating a whole generation of “South Park Libertarians”.
The reason Lefties are generally so young is not the idealism of youth, most people are somewhat idealistic, it is that their memories are too short to remember the last time the left fucked up royally. I remember Jimmy Carter, that’s enough to scare me off for life.
- Nothing would surprise me after Geico came out with that Burt Bacharach ad (I don’t know if you saw it down there; go here and follow the links.
Seriously scary.Posted by rightwingprof on 2007 03 05 at 03:30 PM • permalink
If Al Gore can get an Oscar for an infomercial for his carbon-offset company, can Ronco be far behind?
I don’t know, but surely Ron Popeil deserves one.
Isn’t it kind of a waste of time and money to spread Agore’s manure around Europe? I mean, aren’t they pretty much already on board? Just the other day, The UK Guardian reported Tories attack Bush over climate change:
The world will be a safer place when George Bush leaves office because of his government’s “deplorable” record on climate change, a leading Conservative has warned.
“The sooner the current administration in America goes, the safer the world will be.
“It has been a deplorable drag on international efforts to get a resolution; the leading polluter of the world hasn’t been playing a full part.
“I’m confident a future American administration will shoulder its responsibilities,” he added. Mr Ainsworth was speaking alongside the environment secretary, David Miliband, and the Liberal Democrat environment spokesman, Chris Huhne, at this week’s launch of the Green Standard, a campaign organised by nine of the UK’s leading environmental groups.
And that’s the Tories for heaven’s sake. Europe’s a done deal, a lost cause. Not to say, of course, that the EU will meet any of its stated goals, but that doesn’t seem to matter much. Their intentions are exemplary and isn’t that what really counts?Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 03 05 at 03:31 PM • permalink
- The Australian has an article saying that top UK scientists are speaking out against the global warming ‘swindle’ and that Channel 4 will be showing a documentary later this week on the topic. Might be worth keeping an eye out for.
- The Tories went to hell when they stabbed Maggie Thatcher in the back.Posted by rightwingprof on 2007 03 05 at 04:20 PM • permalink
- The whole “carbon offset” story is a fraud. While Gore’s spokesperson claims: The firm [Generation Investment Management] invests the money in solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe, a visit to their web site will illustrate Generation Investment Management does nothing of the sort.
Look for yourselves, as the MSM unquestioningly accepts Gore’s crap.
If the tories are what passes for conservatives in Europe
To be fair, there is the UKIP, to which several Tory Lords have defected. But from the British blogs I read, I don’t see them winning the next election, though I wish they would.Posted by rightwingprof on 2007 03 05 at 04:46 PM • permalink
- They may be distributing all those copies of “An Inconvenient Truth’’ to schools, but that doesn’t mean anyone’s watching it. They could be collecting dust in a supply closet somewhere, or being used to prop up the short leg of a student’s desk.
Where’s Paco BTW? Anyone heard from him lately?Posted by Sonetka’s Mom on 2007 03 05 at 06:12 PM • permalink
- Anyone who had a heart would not force a child to watch that Cool Aid show, or the Gorefest.Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 06:17 PM • permalink
- “An Inconvenient Truth will be made available free of charge to every secondary school in Australia”
This of oourse has nothing to do with US interference in political Australian life, which the Labor Party simply hates.
Yet The Wisdom of journalist Lauries Oakes is that Gore is now a chance to become the leading Dem candidate as a result of an Oscar! Shades of the disease of Lathamism returning.
Oakes seems to think that Hollywood values should influence USA’s future. Good Grief. Reagan became President by opposing them.
Here’s what he thinks:
There is another Hollywood hero that Howard is no doubt eyeing warily at the moment. That is the man who was an unlikely [!??] star at the Oscars: Al Gore.
When Gore visited Australia last year to promote his climate change documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, he was scornfully dismissed — even ridiculed — by members of the Howard Government… with his documentary having won an Academy Award, Gore’s standing has increased sharply.
And, by stealing the Oscar night show in a comedy act with Leonardo DiCaprio, the formerly stiff politician showed a looser, lighter side to his personality than voters had seen before.
Note that Gore becomes a serious contender by showing ‘his lighter side’ while also scaring the whole world cinematically!
- Then again, I suppose we were forced to drink warm milk.Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 06:50 PM • permalink
Thanks to Al Gore, global warming—which has morphed from boring to frightening—is now accepted by the general public, and the sceptics are now in the same padded room as those who believe Elvis is still breathing, Harold Holt was snatched by the Chinese and the moon landing was filmed in a TV studio.
Welcome to Tim Blair’s padded room. Pass the Thorazine, please.
Hey, good news for all you Aussies. Just because you’re not in high school anymore doesn’t mean you have to be deprived of this enriching experience. Jackgreen Energy, who’s sponsoring the kiddies, is offering a free copy of An Inconvenient Bunch of Warm-mongering Exaggerations, Half-truths, Outright Lies and Other Assorted BS to the first 1000 customers who switch to green power online: To take advantage of this offer, grab a copy of your latest electricity bill and sign up now to add the first climate change Oscar winner to your library!
Sonetka’s mom—Paco is away for a couple of months. He was very mysterious about it all. Tim should have a Where’s Paco thread—we can speculate about what he’s up to.Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 03 05 at 06:51 PM • permalink
- What’s next for our kiddies in school? Sex education?
As a meddling grandma, I can state proudly that I’ve been busy interfering with the state-and-NEA-sponsored propaganda that is routinely dispensed in classrooms. For instance, my grandchildren have been thoroughly debriefed about the current ecohysteria, and reassured that the planet is not on the verge of dehydration/inundation/annihilation, and that any problems that arise will be dealt with by human beings, just as we always have done throughout history.
As for sex education in schools, I merely added to the curriculum. The mechanics properly belong to the schools’ science/health departments. The pick-up lines are grandma’s province, for both boys (don’t be this dumb) and girls (don’t fall for it).
An Inconvenient Truth will be made available free of charge to every secondary school in Australia
Sure is nice of ol’ Big Al to donate all those copies…that is what it means, right?Posted by Furry Lewis on 2007 03 05 at 08:58 PM • permalink
- Hey, I’m putting together a list of Climate Change Liars – those people that push this eco-socialist claptrap down our throats – and I’m looking for candidates so would appreciate people’s nominations. Clearly, Big Al and Flum Flum are already on the list.Posted by Jack Lacton on 2007 03 05 at 09:15 PM • permalink
- Well, they’re losing the battle with the adults – there are still stubborn pockets of “deniers,” and even more who pay lip service, then fire up the AC, so they have to go for the soft-skulled young ‘uns. Despicable shits.Posted by rick mcginnis on 2007 03 05 at 09:34 PM • permalink
- A more useful video to distribute to schools might be:
- #45 Jack Lacton
Let’s not forget our dear friend Tim Lambert!Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 09:52 PM • permalink
GORES REAL AGENDA
OF DEP CONCERN TO ALLL
- Well hell, in March 2003 my then 4th grader’s teacher (NEA local prez) announced to the class that “America did a terrible thing today”. No context. No dissenting opinion. No rebuttal.
To 4th graders.
So forced viewings of “An Incontinent Truth” can just be considerded the automation of the NEA’s brave public service announcements to people who are intellectually unequipped to process them.
What’s the short subject at this theater of the absurd? Two Minutes Hate?Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2007 03 05 at 10:35 PM • permalink
- Jack Lacton:
Here’s a few :
Michael Mann and colleagues: creator/s of the notorious Hockey Stick graph, since taken apart by Ross McKittrick and numerous others
The IPCC (institutionalized the hockey stick as fact; used implausible economic scenarios as basis for g.w. predictions, etc ad nauseam)
Sir Nicholas Stern, presented warmenizing propaganda as sober fact
Steven H. Schneider, who admitted in 2004: “like most people we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climatic change. To do that we need to get some broadbased support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, entails getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have.”Posted by arrowhead ripper on 2007 03 06 at 12:15 AM • permalink
- #48 – Does Lambert qualify? He’s more of a climate ninny than outright liar, as he doesn’t seem to understand the science.
Quiggin makes the list, though, for calling Kyoto a “sensible policy response”.
#52 – Ta. Some of those are one the list. I was wondering whether to stick organisations on, as if I have the IPCC then I need Greenpeace, WWF etc etc.Posted by Jack Lacton on 2007 03 06 at 12:44 AM • permalink
- This guy’s in love with you.
- It’s astounding, time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
But listen closely, not for very much longer
I’ve got to keep control
I remember doing the Offset …
Drinking those moments when
The Oscar moment hit me and the crowd would be calling
Let’s do the Offset again…
Let’s do the Offset again!
It’s just a jump to the left
No! not a step to the right.
Stand on the Economic Brakes,
Give all those capitalists a fright
But it’s their lack of trust that really drives you insay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ayne,
Let’s do the Offset again!
- “GORES REAL AGENDA”
Agendas never change.
Leftist leaders want power to rule the lives of others.
Leftist followers want free handouts (thoughtfully provided by leftist leaders…or so their followers hope).
Rightists want to be left the fuck alone.
Same as it’s ever been.Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 03 06 at 02:17 PM • permalink
- I sure as heck won’t be showing it to any of my classes. What a consignment of elderly shoe manufacturers.Posted by Simon Darkshade on 2007 03 07 at 03:00 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages