The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 5th, 2018 at 01:44 pm
Prepare for the second Crash Thread. Nominate your winner and wimp from the weekly talking heads programs.
- Making us watch the Sunday pundits? A bit passive-aggressive. innit? What’d we do?Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 10 29 at 06:50 PM • permalink
- Richard, aren’t you in the US?
I didn’t bother watching any of the show’s this morning because I am tired and cranky because of this daylight saving nonsense down here in Melbourne.
I have no idea what time it is at the moment.Posted by Major Anya on 2005 10 29 at 07:13 PM • permalink
- Darlene—We get our Daylight Savings time tomorrow…Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 10 29 at 10:20 PM • permalink
- Darlene—OK, I’ll bite. Why does Australia keep Daylight Savings Time? To keep the extra warm daylight in those bitter cold winters?Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 10 29 at 10:23 PM • permalink
- I don’t know why, Richard, I don’t know.
I don’t want to know.
I am being dramatic just for the sake of it.Posted by Major Anya on 2005 10 29 at 11:42 PM • permalink
- This week’s winner is Christianity, which had more endorsements from Kim Beazley and others this week. There was a time when the ALP had very close connections with the Catholic Church in Australia, and with its working class supporters too. A late realisation that the community is still (at least in enough numbers to register a hit in voting terms) attending and supporting churches, but not the ALP, has pollies scrabbling towards Jerusalem.
The misguided wimps are all who continue to support & publicise David Hicks or other would-be jihadis, while simultaneously beating the human rights & civil liberties drum. People like them have the blood of innocent christian schoolgirls in Sulawesi splattered across their credentials.
- Virginia Trioli is still finding her local voice – heard the 702 show this week (once) and it was a bit lame.
Today on the Insiders she looked more comfortable in familiar surroundings, and even loosed off a bit of agression at Andrew Bolt, who found himself (as usual) in the token non-lefty corner.
Getting on the high horse and saying things like “That’s not my phrase, don’t put words in my mouth” in a somewhat histrionic tone was her way of lashing out at Andrew. She had asked for some sort of kick up the khyber by saying that Howard was over-playing his senate majority hand. When it came, she bucked.
- Virginia Trioli copped the foam rubber brick in her face this morning when she did that annoying pretentious crap of wiggling the fingers alongside her less than charming dial to signify “quote”.
Seccombe looks like one of those creepy blokes you see hanging around the dunnies at the greyhounds, all smirky and oily.
The Bolta looked good in his K-Mart shirt.
Yeah, yeah, shallow, I know.
But it’s Sunday dammit.Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2005 10 30 at 03:07 AM • permalink
- Insidious today -Nicola Roxoff pontificates on what “ordinary people” think about the anti terrorism laws and how they might effect them.
Shades of Camelot and the patronising “what do simple folk-do?”.
I got news for ya Nix- ordinary folk do not take kindly to getting blownaparte or even to paying millions in taxpayers hard earned to avoid it.
All we ords think if all the would be splodeys come from one area then it is prudent to concentrate on that area -not on us ords.But we wouldn’t mind unduly if the plods smash down our doors and chuck us about a bit in a good cause.If they wanna search our cars or our persons,peruse our bank accounts or dissect our computers we are agreeable kemo sabe.
- SBS site today-Westernization disease afflicts asians and story of the race riots in Birmingham U.K. Whereas the story when first told last week said an Afro Caribbean 14 year old girl said she had been raped and a mosque had been attacked. Also that the other protagonists were Pakistanis.
On sbs site today the co combatants were described only as “south asians”.
- Darlene, haviong moved from a state that has summer daylight saving to sunny Brisbane, I find it depressing that it is not available to at least SE Qld.
its great, on fridays, you can mow the lawn after work, long before dark, and have the whole weekend to relax. Not in Queensland. And you can head back to the farm for the weekend and get there before dark.
In Brisbane, the damn sun rises at 4.20 am in mid summer. Real great if you have a bunch of toddlers who like to get up with the cockatoos. Daylight saving means that wouldn’t happen until 5.20 am. Big difference, eh?
That said, having also worked in Julia Creek for several years, where the daylength doesn’t change much between summer and winter and longitudinally it is much further west than Brisbane, daylight saving would suck. But Julia Creek is 1500 kms NW of Brisbane. A separate time zone is what is needed. Damn state is too big.
- Sun doesn’t move from its allotted space /time continuum.
Clocks generally have an adjusting mechanism.
Having said all that, can I claim a tax break for the Government making my curtains fade?
*wanders off, whistling*Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2005 10 30 at 08:39 AM • permalink
- Is Jana’s arse getting bigger?
Shallow comment, I know.
It’s stilll Sunday, dammit.Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2005 10 30 at 08:42 AM • permalink
- Do inspirational radio interviews of sports stars count ? If so, here’s my nominations which I’ve just posted…http://jafablog.typepad.com/man_of_lettuce/2005/10/inspiration_plu.html
- ABC news radio at least got in a mention of the beheaded indonesian christian schoolgirls this morning. But only after they had also revealed another brutal punching in the chest of a couple of Afghani insurgents by those brutal US soldiers! This, they felt compelled to add, came on top of the disrespectful burnoing of corpses last week!
- This may be slightly OM but it’s interesting, from Crikey:
Fairfax lefties on Ron Walker’s hit list?
By Hugo Kelly
The spectre of Ron Walker has raised its exceedingly ugly head as the Fairfax redundancies threaten to get nasty.
Date: 28 October 2005
Also in Media…
Fairfax lefties on Ron Walker’s hit list?
Mark Latham vs the media
Stephen Mayne vs Mark Day
Crikey at the News Corp AGM
iTunes Music Store hits Australia
Alan Howe dumped
Do the cops watch Media Watch?
Misquoting Latham: the librarian done it
Navel-gazing at News Limited
Nine sells off The Alice: piece by piece
The comment Mark Latham didn’t make
Neil Mitchell to head up The Age?
How media “reform” will kill genuine debate
Brendan Nelson on the power of the moguls
Media concentration: Power of the Moguls
Favourite hits from the Crikey archive
According to swirling rumours, the Fairfax chairman has drawn up a hit list of “leftie” journalists he wants drummed out of the company – and near the top is SMH Canberra correspondent Mike Seccombe.
The Herald Canberra bureau stop work meeting was a noisy and divided affair yesterday, as the gallery hacks came to terms with the political undercurrents driving the Fairfax redundancy program.
Staff are meeting with management this morning, followed by another stop work meeting.
The writing was on the wall when Max Walsh wrote his well-briefed Bulletin column this week reflecting the Walker view: that the paper needs to move away from its “left liberal” line. Stay tuned for more action as the situation hots up, and nervous hacks calculate their potential redundancy payments.
In the words of one senior insider: “A lot of senior journos grabbed calculators, did the sums and saw easy street. But on reflection, it’s not clear how many will go for the money. Many want to stay in journalism and can’t see any ready alternatives in quality journalism, with contributors budgets shrinking and few full time jobs available.”
So if there isn’t a rush, will things get really nasty as management starts tapping people who don’t want to go?
Posted by Susan Norton on 2005 10 31 at 11:02 AM • permalink
Page 1 of 1 pages