The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on June 10th, 2017 at 06:08 am
Like a frozen pea rolling down a slightly less than horizontal surface, Margo Kingston’s Great Democracy Juggernaut just keeps gathering momentum:
I’m discovering as I edit Webdiary and travel around Australia speaking to people that many Australians have stopped consuming mainstream media completely. They find it depressing to read the bad stuff knowing there’s not a thing they can do about it, and depressing that the big issues either aren’t being addressed or are deliberately being squashed. Yet this response means that those who would destroy our democracy have won without a fight …
My starting point is that those who rule us get their way partly by dividing us, and that the belief in democracy has the potential to unite us in its defence regardless of who we vote for and what else we disagree on. So I’ve started, with the help of volunteers, a new website called Your Democracy to see if this is possible.
It aims to build through citizen journalists a strong alternative media to the mainstream media, which has ceased taking its responsibilities to our democracy seriously and has instead become a mouthpiece for the powerful.
Hmmm. Kingston recently signed a three-year contract with the Sydney Morning Herald to continue writing Webdiary; at $4,000 per month, her contract is worth (before tax) $144,000. Kingston has repaid that investment by denouncing the mainstream media (of which the SMH is a part) and establishing a rival news source – which she promotes via the SMH’s “mouthpiece for the powerful”, where democracy is no longer taken seriously. This is very impressive. Who’d have suspected Margo was a guerrilla capitalist?
In a similar spirit of cashing in on Webdiary’s powerful brand, Bastards Inc. presents a Web Diary World of Merchandise. All 100% anti-gravitational!
- Is that poo coming out of her head?Posted by Habib on 03/31 at 11:58 PM • permalink
- $144,000 contract. Denounces the people who gave her the money. Launches a competitor with their own cash.
It’s almost Churchillian… and not the good one.Posted by richard mcenroe on 04/01 at 12:18 AM • permalink
- I’ve heard the zero-point energy myth, but zero-point intellect?Posted by richard mcenroe on 04/01 at 12:19 AM • permalink
YOUR DEMOCRACY ETHOS
The ethos of Your democracy is its essential character, its DNA. It is worth stating at the outset of the project for the same reason that the elements of a pre-nuptial contract are worth discussing at the beginning of a relationship: at the start of every partnership, anything is possible – or so it seems. Just think of falling in love. Our ethos statement is like a pre-nuptial contract, which may help us think through possible eventualities which might arise before we start working together on this project.
Isnt ethos the plural of ether?
- Time to start dividing the citizens of Your Democracy.Posted by drscroogemcduck on 04/01 at 12:51 AM • permalink
- “Many Australians have stopped consuming mainstream media completely”
Well, I wonder why? I am one of the Australians she mentions, and I stopped reading the mainstream media because of the relentless and all-pervading leftwing bias and the childish hatred of John Howard. Also the MMM is no longer in touch with Australians – if this were not the case, why did they get the last election so disastrously wrong? Easy, they didnt report the truth, they reported what they wanted to believe, and had talked themselves into believing (a Latham victory).
“Thos who rule get their way partly by dividing us ..”
If memory serves me correctly, it was unworkable leftwing policies (multiculturalism, aboriginals, welfare, etc) that ‘divided’ Australia. The left wished to change Australia to some unrecognizable PC socialist paradise, but the Australian people disagreed. Margot cant get over losing so we can look forward to her nonsense until she finally explodes with righteous rage against Hitler Howard.
- how hard could it be to edit ‘web-dairy’ anyway? i can poop out better reactionary rants than magoo – plus i’d only charge a carton of piss a week.Posted by Deo Vindice on 04/01 at 02:17 AM • permalink
- #1 Habib
not sure what that protuberance is hanging out of her head….
my most immediate thought is “ dickhead”………..but then , upon reflection the picture bears an amazing resemblance to Marge Simpson.
In fact , if you say the name really fast ..
Marge Simpson , ..Margo Kingston,… Marge Simpson,… Margo Kingston .. Marge Simpson.. Margo Kingston …..
Its easier to just say Dickhead!
- Didn’t some people assure us a while back (I think this was mentioned in comments here) that the SMH powers-that-be wanted to be rid of Margo and were just looking for the chance? That gave me some hope for the SMH. But a new three-year contract? Dear me.
Or is the idea that she brings in web readers (who will also read the main sections and hence be exposed to the ads), but her posts and their discussions are quarantined to an online section where no serious reader goes?Posted by Scott Campbell at Blithering Bunny on 04/01 at 07:06 AM • permalink
- Uh, Margo? Isn’t democracy, like, when you have all these people and some agree on some things and others like don’t? So then like instead of shooting each other, they have these elections? And then the people who win the elections get to like run things, y’know?
So what we need to know, Margo, is how Your Democracy is better than ours, okay?Posted by Gary from Jersey on 04/01 at 04:04 PM • permalink
- So what we need to know, Margo, is how Your Democracy is better than ours
Like all persons of the left liberal bent, the only good democracy is one under which the voters elect their candidates and validate their viewpoints and ideas.
If the voters refuse to do so, then someone else is at fault. That would include a biased MSM, an out-of-control government, politicians in general except for certain chosen ones, the judiciary, and maybe the system of governance in general. And of course the people who are too stupid to know what is best for them.
Damn it Margo, if you don’t like the way things are being run, then PERSUADE the voters to choose your candidates. That takes work. Ask George Bush, Tony Blair, and John Howard how much work it is.
If the voters don’t agree, maybe the problem is you.Posted by wronwright on 04/01 at 06:51 PM • permalink
- Are we sure this isn’t just another Margo typo? Perhaps the title was supposed to be You’re Democracy?Posted by richard mcenroe on 04/02 at 11:55 AM • permalink
- What are the “volunteers” paid?Posted by Susan Norton on 04/03 at 03:59 AM • permalink
- I notice Margo is still plugging signings for Not Happy, John.
Geez, here in the States, the pre-election Bushbashing titles have long since been consigned to the remainder bins. I guess you guys just like to live at that moseyin’ Old World pace…Posted by richard mcenroe on 04/03 at 11:55 AM • perm