The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 07:25 am
Mark Steyn asks: “What kind of guy would claim to have written ‘Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini’?” Not me, contrary to rumour. But I would like to claim I’d written America Alone. The best thing about Steyn’s latest isn’t that it’s clever and funny and beautifully written—of course, it’s all those things—but that it’s persuasive. Buy a copy for yourself and another for a friend who perhaps hasn’t reached a conclusion on this whole terrorism deal.
Also, there’s a paragraph on page 152 that will cause peacenik heads to implode.
- half way through it.Posted by murph on 2006 10 02 at 11:46 AM • permalink
- What is the paragraph on page 152? I don’t have a copy yet.
OT I am working in local municipal election campaigns, going door-to-door and leafleting. I do not normally frequent the low rent and subsidised areas of Ottawa, but have been doing so recently.
I am surprised how many single muslim women, sometimes with children, there appear to be. Where are their husbands I ask?Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2006 10 02 at 12:46 PM • permalink
- There are loads of paragraphs in that book that will cause peacenik heads to explode!
(And I’ll second the rest of your emotions—it’s an absolutely terrific book, even beyond its mystical powers to spontaneously cause the gnashing of teeth inside leftwing skulls.)Posted by Ed Driscoll on 2006 10 02 at 01:01 PM • permalink
- Just ordered my copy….plus a copy for my brother, who lives in a very blue county, thanks to the large population of ancient hippies in residence. I’m hoping it’ll cause a few heads to implode there…Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 10 02 at 02:00 PM • permalink
- [BEGIN ADMIN NOTE]
Anyone who posts the contents of the paragraph on page 152 will be killed. Slowly and painfully.[/END ADMIN NOTE]Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 10 02 at 10:25 PM • permalink
- I’m pretty sure this is the paragraph Tim is talking about and I hope Mark doesn’t mind me taking the liberty of reproducing it here:
“While much of our attention has been distracted by terrorism, everybody agrees that the major threat to our existence remains global warming. But did you know one of the major causes to anthropogenic global warming is chewing gum? What some people think of as a harmless past time actually spews thousands of tons of lethal carbon dioxide into the air. By taking the time to sprinkle a few all natural elements to your gum – saltpetre, charcoal and sulphur – could make all the difference in saving the lives of dozens of baby polar bears.”Posted by Margos Maid on 2006 10 02 at 10:40 PM • permalink
- Oh my God, what have I done? Sorry Andrea.Posted by Margos Maid on 2006 10 02 at 10:42 PM • permalink
- Thanks 91B.
I swear I never saw the bolderised admin note before I posted.
While I may have been foolish, in my defence, I would like to point out that I have been consistently consistent.
That is how I would like to be remembered. Thank you all.Posted by Margos Maid on 2006 10 03 at 12:10 AM • permalink
- Thanks Margos Maid. Now I’ve already seen the best bits and I don’t have to buy the book.Posted by daddy dave on 2006 10 03 at 12:15 AM • permalink
- Good news. I believe the paragraph posted at #10 was the one that would cause peaceniks heads to explode not implode.
I don’t think it will be giving too much away to say the paragraph Tim is talking about involves shaving your head, drawing a red crescent on one side, and putting it through the hole in the canopy of a Beirut ambulance.
If you want to know more you’ll have to buy the book.Posted by Margos Maid on 2006 10 03 at 01:15 AM • permalink
- Yeah thanks heaps Margos Maid. I had just ordered the book further up the thread, entered my personalised autograph request, paid in full and then what happens?
It’s like standing in the queue outside the cinema entrance, while a couple of giant brains wandering out are swapping opinions about the ending.
- Margo, I’ll bet you’re the sort of person who tells everyone waiting in the queue to buy the latest Harry Potter book what the ending is.Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 10 03 at 05:33 AM • permalink
- Dear Mark Steyn,
I had intended to purchase your latest master work ” America Alone” when I was confronted with, nay violated by, the most henious act of literary usurpation. This unsettling incident, which occured in a blog that should remain nameless, but which is run by some guy named
TIM BLAIR FROM AUSTRALIA that caused me to understandably lose all need to purchase your work. I should note that the presence of the excerpts didn’t bother nearly so much as the cries of “GET IT HERE! ALL THE BEST OF MARK’S WORKS, AND YOU DON’T GOT TO PAY NOTHING.
Sincerely yours, a former fan
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.