The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on March 6th, 2018 at 12:30 am
Race start in three minutes. Live updates to follow. 58 laps, 307 kilometres, tons of delicious fossil fuel consumed.
* Raikkonen stalls on the grid. Could be moved to the rear. Huge cloud of smoke from R. Schumacher’s Toyota; didn’t look like tyres. Another formation lap.
* Raikkonen fired up. Will start from pit lane.
* Bad start from Webber, overtaken by Coulthard. Too cautious. Fisichella leading by two seconds halfway through the first lap. M. Schumacher and Raikkonen already up to 14th-15th.
* Order after 3 laps: Fisichella, Trulli, Coulthard, Webber, Heidfeld, Klein, Montoya, Barrichello, Villeneuve (terrible start), Alonso, Button, R. Schumacher.
* Fisichella fastest: 1 min 28.387. Webber closing on Coulthard. Fisichella faster still: 1 min 28.137.
* Alonso takes Villeneuve, who re-takes the Spaniard. JV hasn’t forgotten how to race. Fisichella again faster: 1 min 28.053. But Trulli is holding him—only 2.2 seconds behind.
* Alonso just shed a chunk of underbody hitting a curb. Ralf Schumacher and Button closing in on the Alonso/Villeneuve duel. Top eight unchanged after nine laps. M. Schumacher 15th behind Takuma Sato. Coulthard is holding people up; this might actually help them, because it’ll force them to conserve tyres.
* Fisichella into the 1:27s, and now lapping backmarkers. Heidfeld quick, too; catching Webber.
* Killer move from Webber, diving inside a baulked Coulthard on the grass. Doesn’t make it stick. Coulthard now fastest of all: 1 min 26.853! Alonso ahead of Villeneuve. Second-placed Trulli pits for fuel. So does Heidfeld.
* First retirement: Albers, in his first race. Ralf Schumacher pits, as does Webber. Trulli eighth after his stop. Sato pits.
* 35 laps remain. M. Schumacher yet to pit, now running tenth. Webber third—ahead of Trulli. Fisichella, Montoya pit.
* Coulthard will end up in second place after the first pit stops are completed; incredible. Alonso is now fastest: 1 min 25.683.
* Current leader Barrichello pits on the same lap as Raikkonen and Montoya.
* Schumacher pits. Race order after all frontrunners have pitted: Fisichella (by 12 secs), Coulthard, Webber, Barrichello, Montoya, Trulli, Alonso, Klein, Heidfeld, Massa (yet to pit), Raikkonen, M. Schumacher.
* Alonso timed at 319 kmh (200 mph). Judging by in-car footage, that Renault is running light wing loads; Alonso is very busy. Now ahead of Trulli for sixth.
* Webber still third, 3.4 seconds clear of Barrichello and right behind Coulthard (lots of carbon fibre dust from the Red Bull under brakes). Raikkonen 10th, M. Schumacher 11th several seconds adrift.
* Some body damage to Raikkonen’s McLaren. May be blocking right-side radiator. M. Schumacher closing in.
* Trulli’s second pit stop on lap 36 of 57.
* The reliability of these things is absurd; still only the one retirement. Webber pits. Raikkonen, Villeneuve also.
* Button takes Trulli for 11th. Fisichella leads by 15 seconds. Barrichello beginning to monster Coulthard; M. Schumacher (low on fuel) tormenting Webber (just refueled).
* Fisichella and M. Schumacher pit.
* Heidfeld nails M. Schumacher. Heidfeld out; Schumacher moves away s-l-o-w-l-y … and into the pits. Retired.
* Great drive from Barrichello, who’ll be second after all pit stops. Current leader Alonso pits.
* Race order with 9 laps to go: Fisichella, Barrichello, Alonso, Coulthard, Webber, Montoya, Klein, Raikkonen. Villeneuve is 14th; his Sauber teammate, who started way behind him, is 10th.
* Alonso stalking Barrichello.
* Four laps to go. Leading order unchanged. Webber suddenly much closer to Coulthard.
* Last lap: Fisichella seven seconds clear.
* Fisichella wins. “Perfect, perfect race,” his crew tell him via radio. It was. Barrichello second (from 11th on the grid), Alonso third (from 13th). Others in the points: Coulthard (stunning drive), Webber, Montoya, Klein, Raikkonen.