The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we/I may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
Last updated on August 9th, 2017 at 02:56 pm
Queensland wins! Not a single fatality is reported following Cyclone Larry, one of the largest storms to hit Australia in decades. Considering the destruction, it’s almost a miracle:
* One in three houses in the region now roofless;
* Half of the houses and buildings in Innisfail subject to “major damage”;
* Some 30 people injured;
* 80% of homes and all crops in Babinda damaged.
* 200,000 tonnes of bananas worth $300 million destroyed;
* 4000 people out of work;
* More than 120,000 homes without electricity;
* Major highways blocked;
* Flood warnings still in force from Innisfail to Townsville.
Pictures of the damage here and here. A second cyclone has formed in Larry’s wake but isn’t worth worrying about at present. Meanwhile Larry is slumping through inland Queensland like a spent heavyweight:
All peaceful now in areas earlier hit. Good overview from the Courier-Mail. Much thanks to everyone in comments below for continual news and updates throughout the day.