Pledge week highlights:
• Donations range from $1 to $1,000.
• Among local readers, Western Australians are impressively over-represented.
• Chile, Portugal, Iceland … none of these places have thrown in so much as a lousy cent. Readers in Japan, Greece, the US, Canada, Sweden, Abu Dhabi, and the UK are much more generous.
• Reader 1.618 donated possibly the finest t-shirt ever designed (pictures soon).
• Most surprising contributor: an entertainer whose politics you may have assumed were closer to Peter Garrett’s than to mine.
• Several lawyers have donated, which is a welcome reversal of the usual journalist/lawyer financial trend. Plus a couple of diplomats. And a genuine cattle baron.
• I still have at least 150 personal thank-you emails to write. Please bear with me.
• To get a general idea of donations received so far, simply take Sir Donald Bradman’s batting average, add the goals kicked by Peter Daicos in 1990, multiply by A.J. Foyt’s victories in the Indianapolis 500, add the number of commenters registered at this site, divide by the corrections Media Watch has offered in 2006-7, and multiply by double the number of wickets taken by Terry Alderman for Western Australia against the MCC in December 1974. Round it down and you’ll be close.
• Thanks to all who contributed, and for all your kind notes. Next week: new stuff is bought, and this site moves into the bold new world of 2007.