<< "MAY ALLAH PLUCK THEIR EYES OUT QUICKLY" ~ MAIN ~ POPULATION MOCKED >>

WORRIES CAST ASIDE

The SMH reports:

Note the assumption we were worried in the first place. Australians just aren’t, by and large; we don’t watch global warming TV shows, we don’t turn off our lights, we don’t read Tim Lambert’s global-warming-is-real-I-have-proof blog (lately sunk to just above three figures daily) and we don’t buy stupid hybrid cars:

So far this year, only 2081 hybrids have been sold here out of a total market of 419,279 or just 0.5 per cent. Of these, 1290 (62 per cent) were bought by governments.

(Via Alan R.M. Jones)

Posted by Tim B. on 07/05/2007 at 12:52 PM
  1. Don’t be unkind to the Prius. According to Al Gore III you can rev those hot little Gaia-rapers up to 100 mph.
    Of course, it helps if you’re stoned out of your gourd at the time.

Posted by Merlin on 2007 07 05 at 01:17 PM • permalink

2. Being stoned probably helps with the purchase decision, too.

Posted by PW on 2007 07 05 at 01:25 PM • permalink

3. You know, I bet with a few adjustments we could probably get that Prius up to 150 mph.  Start with some Nitro injectors . . .

Posted by rbj1 on 2007 07 05 at 02:40 PM • permalink

4. If I were Al III I’d insist on a jury trial. No one is going to believe those things can break 100 mph. The rubber band would break.

Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2007 07 05 at 02:51 PM • permalink

5. I can see there being a niche market for hybrids, but they certainly ain’t the cure all for any environmental woes, imagined or real.

Mostly imagined, these days, now that I think about it.  We got environmental problems, alright, but as usual, the watermelons are focusing their energies on the wrong topics.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 07 05 at 02:55 PM • permalink

6. In northern Virginia, the niche market is for people who want to drive in HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes without passengers. Hybrids get special dispensation. Needless to say they’re quite popular with commuters.

Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2007 07 05 at 03:27 PM • permalink

7. “...we don’t turn off our lights”

I had the lights off and all the doors and windows open last night due to 100 F temperatures, wandered into the kitchen to get a drink, and tripped over a racoon that had stopped in to raid the dry dog food.

Both of us damned near had heart attacks.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 05 at 04:46 PM • permalink

8. #7, you gotta be careful.  I heard raccoons carried off an entire family one night.  And their dog.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 07 05 at 04:58 PM • permalink

9. How is a trend wherein,

“Locally-built large cars continuing to lose ground against smaller, more fuel-efficient imports”

and,

“Sales of light cars are up by 12.3 per cent, while small car sales are up 7.9 per cent”

an indication that,

“Australians have cast aside concerns about global warming to buy a record one million cars in the past financial year”?

Granted, it might be, but they offer no proof.  Every last buyer might have bought up to a more efficient model than they had previously, thinking they are doing their part while also taking advantage of the savings they’ll accrue and not sacrificing too much of their needs just to get a blessing from the Gaia obsessed snobs in the Media.

The self-righteously condescending ‘you peons didn’t measure up to our standards’ by our environmental media overlords is insufferable. LOL, what a bunch of ‘tards.

What cars do the SMH people drive, I wonder. Are they all hybrids?  Which ones didn’t turn over their cars this last finanical year for Gaia?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by Dusty on 2007 07 05 at 05:14 PM • permalink

10. Al Gore can kiss my SUV.

Posted by tabitharuth on 2007 07 05 at 05:15 PM • permalink

11. This guy was pretty bold.  About 2 A.M. he came back, stuck his head in the back door, watched me and the dog for about five minutes to see if we were going to do anything about it, then sat down on his haunches and started in on the dog dish.

My poor old dog has arthritis so bad he can’t stand up anymore without assistance, so all he could do was sit there and watch in amazement as this coon chowed down on the dog food.

I would have run him off, but they’re so damned cute.  I love watching them eat.  They have excellent table manners.  Wash their hands when they’re done eating too.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 05 at 05:19 PM • permalink

12. That would have been 1,004,098 vehicles if my new 6 litre V8 had arrived on time last week.
    Finally picked it up on Tuesday so it will count in the 07-08 statistics.
    What a joy it is. So far I have only managed to get a burn rate of 13.7 litres per 100 k, but I’m sure I will be able to get that up a bit when I get the courage to really tramp on it.

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 07 05 at 05:34 PM • permalink

13. If I were determined to get a Prius up to 100 mph, the first thing I would do is to visit a Navy salvage yard where an aircraft carrier was being scrapped, and ask if I could buy the catapult that was used to launch fighter planes off the deck.

Posted by sundog on 2007 07 05 at 05:41 PM • permalink

14. What a moron, just because 1 million new cars are bought doesn’t automatically mean there are 1 mill ADDITIONAL cars on the road.

The majority of purchasers sold/traded in their previous vehicles which is adding to the ongoing trend on decreasing the price of newer second hand cars and decreasing the age of Australia’s vehicle fleet.

This is of course good news for the environment as newer cars (aside from the point Dusty made at 9) are more fuel and carbon efficient but are considerably cleaner when it comes to real pollution.

A newer car fleet is great for reducing the road toll too with newer cars tending to be safer.

Posted by Looneyc on 2007 07 05 at 05:46 PM • permalink

15. Very true Looneyc - we sold 2 of our used cars, and bought 1 new and 1 old banger for my work trips.

I must confess, however, that my car we sold was a red v8 monaro - I almost cried.  Fatherhood is worth it, but .... oh well.

I do enjoy revving the crap out of my oldy car and flogging some young persons tricked out jap import.  Then I remember my car is a Toyota.

Posted by peter m on 2007 07 05 at 05:57 PM • permalink

16. 7 Dave Surls

Both of us damned near had heart attacks.

What would have happened, had this happened to you…

Belgian Dinner Guest Finds Bodies of Host’s Wife, Stepson in Freezer.

Brand new meaning to “What’s for dinner?”

Fox News

Posted by El Cid on 2007 07 05 at 05:57 PM • permalink

17. #16: Ewwww! Home cryonics?

Posted by paco on 2007 07 05 at 06:22 PM • permalink

18. Just a few weeks ago, I made my first purchase of a new car myself (a Volkswagen Rabbit with a 2.5 liter 5-banger putting out 150hp.  Basically a VW Golf with a different name) after spending the last 10 years driving a beater ‘84 Toyota Camry.  The old Camry was a total rustbucket (not necessarily when I bought it, but the years caught up to it pretty quickly) but it was one seriously reliable car, and lasted me just long enough (reverse gear went out on the transmission the day before I traded it in.)  I shudder to think what would have happened if I ever got into a major wreck in the thing though.  A few pics, and some additional thoughts on the old beater here, on my new Blog:

It’s ugly, but it gets you there

Posted by Vexorg on 2007 07 05 at 06:22 PM • permalink

19. #11 Dave, you might like to borrow this pack of vermin exterminators to help your old dog sort out the racoon.

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 07 05 at 06:27 PM • permalink

20. OT

Promoting Live Earth, radio station Triple M Adelaide gave away tickets the Crowded House consert.

To the person with the highest quarterly electricity bill.

Posted by armageddon on 2007 07 05 at 06:28 PM • permalink

21. 17

Ewwww! Home cryonics?

Bet she never opens another freezer, damn busybody. (well in this case busybodies)

Posted by El Cid on 2007 07 05 at 06:34 PM • permalink

22. #5 TRJ, My current environmental problem is the bloddy critters which keep eating my vegetables I am attempting to grow in my garden.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 07 05 at 06:39 PM • permalink

23. That’s odd, never have heard the brand of your freezer….HannibalElecter.

Posted by El Cid on 2007 07 05 at 06:43 PM • permalink

24. How come when Rudd bangs on about global climo-warmo-changiferousness it’s serious and worthwhile, but when Howard and Co. undertake a real and urgent initiative it’s “electioneering”?
    That debate/discussion after the showing of the warming scam doco better be on a higher level of propriety than “Difference of Opinion”. The makeup of the panel and the steering by the compere/ringmaster will show it up. I presume that the delay in getting it here has allowed much more critical examination than has been given by ABC opinionators to An Inconvenient Truth, which is mentioned along with the Stern Report and the IPCC “Summary” with absolute reverence. These are holy writ, to be used in lieu of telephone books when interrogating recalcitrant pollies who “haven’t done enough” about the CO2 Blasphemy.

Posted by blogstrop on 2007 07 05 at 06:46 PM • permalink

25. “What would have happened, had this happened to you…”

“Belgian Dinner Guest Finds Bodies of Host’s Wife, Stepson in Freezer.”

Think I might just have to take a raincheck on that one.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 05 at 07:05 PM • permalink

26. I rmember reading some time ago an arguement that the government could achieve greater environmental gains by giving people with clapped out junkers new 4 cylinder ricebubble cars.
    Never saw any figures though, so it was probably a throw away line.
    Mind you HoWard could legitimately give away “free cars” beforew the election AND claim its “for the environment”.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 07 05 at 07:09 PM • permalink

27. “#11 Dave, you might like to borrow this pack of vermin exterminators to help your old dog sort out the racoon.”

Good looking pups.  My old guy has the same color scheme, but he’s a tad furrier (Gordon Setter)...and way past the point where he can handle a coon.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 05 at 07:12 PM • permalink

28. OT…and this could be old news for the experienced hands here…but started a new book last night, a Kinky Friedman collection, and Piers Ackerman (“that fine Australian journalist” or words to that effect) is mentioned as an acquaintance of one the characters. Peter Daicos, Kinky Friedman….is there anyone you RWDB’s don’t know?

Posted by anonymous guest on 2007 07 05 at 07:14 PM • permalink

29. Of these, 1290 (62 per cent) were bought by governments.

And one of those went to KRudd after he was caught out driving a gas-guzzling SUV.

Posted by anthony_r on 2007 07 05 at 07:32 PM • permalink

30. > is there anyone you RWDB’s don’t know?

just correcting for you “is there anyone you RWDB’s haven’t cloned and replaced?!

Posted by Rob Read on 2007 07 05 at 07:44 PM • permalink

31. Greenland was once . . . er . . . green. That is, until Al Gore’s Viking ancestor -  Blutundgore Forkbeard, also known as “Snow-Bringer” - came ashore.

Posted by paco on 2007 07 05 at 07:46 PM • permalink

32. #30 yes…it’s quite painless…and I am so much happier now…

Posted by anonymous guest on 2007 07 05 at 07:53 PM • permalink

33. People are buying small cars because the parking spaces keep shrinking.

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 08:02 PM • permalink

34. What? No Protesting outside the USS Kitty Hawk? No Pasha Bulker Lasers on the American Warship?

Where are you greeny Protesters?

Kevny Rudd (Nickname the Rudster) appeared on Today couldn’t answer the questions truthfully. Peter Garret why didn’t you go on board?

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 07 05 at 08:02 PM • permalink

35. Dminor are you there?

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 07 05 at 08:05 PM • permalink

36. p.s. Colonel you’re magic!

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 07 05 at 08:19 PM • permalink

37. Mornin’, 1.618. Playing with bubby whilst mummy catches up on sleep. What’s up?

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 08:20 PM • permalink

38. Ok, in keeping with our bravehearts and great quotes theme this season, I present something from the other side of the age spectrum:

“I wanted to protect my little brother,” 5-year-old says

from here - cnn story

Damn impressed at the little fellas bravery - let’s hope he is successfully treated and doesn’t get rabies.

ps 3 gun shots didn’t kill a fox, but crutches and a tree branch did - you gun toting folks may need to keep a baseball bat handy as well!  (I have my golf clubs and my wife).

Posted by peter m on 2007 07 05 at 08:25 PM • permalink

39. Would you mind if I posted in Dead Earth topic something for you to read please?

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 07 05 at 08:30 PM • permalink

40. peter m

One hell of a kid.

Posted by El Cid on 2007 07 05 at 08:33 PM • permalink

41. 39 was for Dminor no peeking anyone else.

Sir El-cid morning lovely!

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 07 05 at 08:36 PM • permalink

42. morning Lady 1.618

Posted by El Cid on 2007 07 05 at 08:42 PM • permalink

43. Knock youself out, 1.618.

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 08:43 PM • permalink

44. #39, #41 Or e-mail, if you prefer.

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 08:45 PM • permalink

Push it off a high cliff.

Posted by kae on 2007 07 05 at 09:27 PM • permalink

46. I’ve done my bit for/against global warming:  I’m the proud owner of a brand spankin’ new steel gray 6-cylinder Kia Sportage.  Not exactly a road-burner, but it’s small (and still lets me sit up high), safety-rated, efficient, has a nice little kick, and is roomy for its size.  The big grandson now owns the 4-cylinder GM pickup, and Mr. H is hauling his golf clubs in my beloved Ford Ranger.  Win-win all around.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 07 05 at 09:32 PM • permalink

47. “Note the assumption we were worried in the first place.”

You would think that the Fairfaxistas would have realized by now that they do not speak for Australians. After all, the unwashed masses keep voting Howard in, in spite of the wished of their moral and intellectual superiors at The Age, SMH, ABC etc.

Posted by niobium2000 on 2007 07 05 at 09:37 PM • permalink

I don’t think they get it.

Posted by kae on 2007 07 05 at 09:38 PM • permalink

49. #45 kae - chuckle.

#31 paco - forget what Greenland was like 500,000 years ago, I want to see those archaeologists get going on the old Viking settlements, assuming we get as warm as it was back in the Middle Ages (quite possible, we’re almost there. But then again, those sunspots are due to decline around 2020, I think it is, and there are still those predicting the next Ice Age cometh).

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 09:39 PM • permalink

50. #G’day D.
    Howz thingz? Not blown away in this wind…
    I woke up this AM, thought it was Saturday and turned the alarm off. I usually get up at 5ish and leave home at 5:30ish. I woke up at 7ish - arrgh! I got to work in good time, wind must have blown my little town closer to the city! Happy I gave you a laff.

But it’s TRUE. As someone on another thread also mentioned, I also don’t think a Prius could reach terminal velocity (is this Wiki right?) whatever it is in kilometres.

Posted by kae on 2007 07 05 at 09:47 PM • permalink

51. Don’t new cars have better emissions that old ones? So isn’t buying new cars—even non-hybrids a good thing? One would think so, until one realizes that the goal of the modern Environmentalist movement is not the preservation of the environment but the fall of humanity. People buying cars is good for the environment, but it is also good for people, hence bad for Environmentalism.

Posted by Nathan on 2007 07 05 at 09:47 PM • permalink

52. Discussion I had with 2 Australian Conservation Foundation pan handlers this week.

ACFPH 1: As you know there’s a lot of concern with global warming, water, erosion blah, blah, blah… (at this point I rolled my eyes and lent against a wall)

ME: Yep.

ACFPH 1: What issues are you worried about?

ME: None. (Wish I’d said islamofascism and the Wallabies front row)

ACFPH 1 (incredulous): So you’re not worried about anything???

ME: Nup. I think global warming is a load of crap. I’m going to have to ask you guys to leave.

ACFPH 2: Aaaaaaaah so you’ll still be here when the WORLD DIES???!!!

ME: Yes, I will. See you later guys.

(ACFPH 1&2 storm out and slam office door.)

Quite confusing really. I was so steamed up, I couldn’t say all the things I’d wanted to say. Bastards caught me by surprise by being well dressed. I’d guessed they were going to ask about changing phone carrier. I’m just glad we both assume I’m going to survive the apocalypse.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 07 05 at 09:51 PM • permalink

53. Also casting aside Glowbawl Warming worries is Cate Blanchett who jetted over to Paris to catch Armani’s latest show.  Good on you, Cate.

Posted by anthony_r on 2007 07 05 at 09:59 PM • permalink

54. Apologies if it’s already been linked this poem (based on Poe’s ‘The Raven’) found at the Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler site. It begins:

Once upon a midnight dreary, as I wondered weak and weary
    Why the Goreacle is such a tedious, monumental bore.
    Surely in the loads of drivel, tripe to make a man’s brain shrivel,
    Interspersed with jibes uncivil, there’d be something to explore?
    Could that whole ungodly slideshow be but lies and nothing more?
    Would that someone had kept score!

(continued at link)

Posted by CO² max on 2007 07 05 at 10:01 PM • permalink

55. #38 That kid is a future Marine, no doubt about it.

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 07 05 at 10:04 PM • permalink

56. Just like a gummint to by the highest TCO thing on the market. Course, the building I work at has kudzu growning through the rear wheel wells of a couple of Dept of Somethinorother Vehicles. Every morning I go to work, I think, “they didn’t lower my taxes enough.” (Which is something only a conservative thinks) Mebbe I’ll see if they can sell one of those old Jeeps (early 90s Cherokees) to me. Cheap. Hmmm…

Posted by brett_l on 2007 07 05 at 10:18 PM • permalink

57. Australians cast aside global warming worries to buy a record one million cars in the past year.

The SMH can breathe easy.
    Their 5000 tons of newsprint a week and automotive-derived income of $10million a week is safe.

God help the hypocrites if Australians stop buying/dealers stop advertising.

Amazing eh? The more greenhouse gas-belching cars we buy, the safer the revenue stream at Fairfax.

Not that the bastards will ever admit it of course!

Posted by Bonmot on 2007 07 05 at 10:20 PM • permalink

58. #52 Infidel

Next time, tell them you’re very concerned about global warming, then tell them about those aliens and their giant galactic microwave oven that’s causing it all, and how the government’s known about it for some time but won’t do anything, but that you’re involved with a group of nutters activists currently making plans to blow the whole thing open, and if the gentlemen at your door could just assist with a nominal donation, say $100-$1000 for the cause (tax deductibility status pending, but you’re “very confident” the ATO will accept it), and that if they’d like to step inside you’ve got some literature and proof about this - and other - conspiracies, and that you’ll ring Gerald, the group’s treasurer, to come round straight away with the membership forms…hello? Hello? You coming back? Great, see you soon then! I’ll just ring Gerald…

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 10:24 PM • permalink

59. #58 - Excellent plan, Dminor. The worry is that they’d agree with me and wait for Gerald to come over with the forms. The cash would be handy for the weekend though…

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 07 05 at 10:30 PM • permalink

60. What’s that, Gerald? Men in black tailing you again? Use evasion pattern delta. What do you mean, that was last time? I thought that was epsilon. Oh. Hang tight, then. I’ll call Wronwright, he’s only two centuries away.

Er, sorry gentleman. Just leave the cash and a contact number on the coffee table. We’ll get back to you.

Posted by Dminor on 2007 07 05 at 11:09 PM • permalink

61. O/T but getup reaches a new low even for them.

The ad features London terror attack survivor Louise Barry, who spent three months in hospital after her morning bus was bombed in 2005.

“Ms Barry, who wrote and conceived the ad for political group GetUp!, blames Mr Howard for getting us into “this mess” and says “it’s your responsibility to get us out”.”

The scum site!

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 07 05 at 11:20 PM • permalink

62. #61 - I’m reserving judgment on Ms. Barry, but “pawn” comes to mind.

I’m glad she’s got her “root cause”. Cold comfort for the 88 Aussies slain in Bali in 2002.

Uh oh. Rage boiling again….

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 07 05 at 11:25 PM • permalink

63. A bit more, 2 of the original board members have left to chase political careers. Guess which party?
    Evan
    BillSolomon, the director of “get up” on the move to improve aboriginal health.
    2 of the other founders also made This website. Which blames the evil Joos!
    “Talk is rising of a ‘clash of civilizations’. But the problem isn’t culture, it’s politics – from 9/11 to Guantanamo, Iraq to Iran. This clash is not inevitable, and we don’t want it.

So where to start? The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the key symbol of the rift between Islam & the West…”

And last of all (for now) Amanda Tattersall, another founder of get up Interesting Curriculum Vitae she has on the net? “non politicaly alligned my hairy ballsack! Check her “office memberships” all ALP

Sorry to be so O/T but this mob of liars shit me.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 07 05 at 11:40 PM • permalink

64. “GetUp.org.au is a new independent political movement to build a progressive Australia”

They’re a bunch of commies.

Of course, they’re scum.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 05 at 11:41 PM • permalink

65. Oops that BillSolomon link above is actually 2 links Bill AND Solomon, ran them together Im afraid.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 07 05 at 11:43 PM • permalink

66. #11, Dave Surls;

In spite of all that, don’t forget that they might be carrying a parasitic roundworm that can cause fatal encephalitis in people. A 2-year-old child near Carmel (an expensive coastal California community) apparently caught it from raccoons that have become common over there, eating the dog’s and cat’s dinners, a likely daring any of them to say anything about it.

Yet another thing to think about…

Posted by steveH on 2007 07 06 at 12:21 AM • permalink

67. Looks like the old adage of “If in doubt, bore it out” still holds true, with the addendum of for some extra boltage, kick up the voltage- sure worked for my slotcar set when I was a kid, until they burst into flames.

Posted by Habib on 2007 07 06 at 01:20 AM • permalink

“Mebbe I’ll see if they can sell one of those old Jeeps (early 90s Cherokees) to me.”

Got some airport ramming to do?? :)  Of course, it appears that a Jeep Cherokee won’t make it past a properly installed security bollard.  Which is a good thing.

#62

“Uh oh. Rage boiling again….”

Maybe you could take the title of “Non-Islamic Rage Boy.”  I think it’s unclaimed at the moment.

Posted by kcom on 2007 07 06 at 01:21 AM • permalink

69. And I think they just forgot about the one of these they placed in the boot, for balance.

Posted by Habib on 2007 07 06 at 01:29 AM • permalink

70. WAY OFF TOPIC ALERT

“In spite of all that, don’t forget that they might be carrying a parasitic roundworm that can cause fatal encephalitis in people.”

Very rare (only a dozen documented cases in the last 25 years in the USA), and almost always occurs in very young children (because they’re always sticking their fingers in their mouths and if they happen to touch raccoon feces before they suck their thumbs…that could be a bad thing).

Dr. Dave’s best advice:  don’t play with raccoon droppings.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2007 07 06 at 02:18 AM • permalink

71. Every time a useful idiot spews islamotard propaganda about root causes or makes any attempt to blame islamotardation on anything but tarded islamos, MoMad the Unholy Propheteer strangles a kitten.

MoMad ends up waist deep in dead kitties by sunset each day.

useful idiots must hate kittens.

Posted by Grimmy on 2007 07 06 at 02:44 AM • permalink

72. Australians cast aside global warming worries in purchasing how many hardcopies of SMH/Age/Fairfax stable in the past year?

Posted by egg_ on 2007 07 06 at 03:42 AM • permalink

73. I just checked Climate Audit’s stats. We get between 6 and 10 times as many hits as Doltoid.

This can only mean that Lambert will start to get desperate to get attention. Expect fireworks.

Posted by John A on 2007 07 06 at 04:15 AM • permalink

74. #52 your right you know the wallaby front row is more of a worry than the earth why cant we find 3 blokes who can at least hold their own against all blacks
    b.t.w i did my bit for the planet today with a huge bonfire

Posted by davey8 on 2007 07 06 at 04:34 AM • permalink

75. Australians cast aside global warming worries

It is Fairfax that has global warming worries. Remember the lights-out flop a few months ago?

Posted by Contrail on 2007 07 06 at 07:27 AM • permalink

76. #16 -

The bodies had been in the freezer for several weeks?

Just goes to show what a great investment a Premier Assassins Corpse Obliterator is.

Posted by Achillea on 2007 07 06 at 03:56 PM • permalink

77. #76: Not available where prohibited by law.

Posted by paco on 2007 07 06 at 05:12 PM • permalink