<< DRINK UP ~ MAIN ~ SHANE DRIVES >>

WARMENING EVERYWHERE

“I haven’t seen An Inconvenient Truth,” writes Lee M., “but I love its theme song.” Hum along during this globe-rending warmenist update:

• All of Florida frozen;

• Extreme cold alert for Toronto;

• Washington man killed by four feet of warming;

• And record snow in New Hampshire:

It might be an “inconvenient truth” for global warming hysteria preachers like Al Gore but it’s perfect timing for the primaries! Today the Associated Press is reporting that the National Weather Service recorded 44.5” of December snow in New Hampshire—the most snow they’ve received (in December) in over 100 years!

Makes you wish Al Gore was running, doesn’t it?

(With assistance from Daniel F.)

Posted by Tim B. on 01/03/2008 at 08:32 AM
  1. 15 degrees here in NYC this morning.

You can almost feel the burgeoning polar bear testicles.

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2008 01 03 at 08:51 AM • permalink

2. (That’s something like -9 to you Celsiusians)

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2008 01 03 at 08:52 AM • permalink

3. And it’s been pissing down and quite cool up here in SUNNY Queensland due to the bunch of low pressure systems off all the northern coasts of Australia. We’ve already been threatened with several cyclones… Mum’s complaining it’s cold and wet. Sheesh. We need it!

Bloody global warming.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 08:58 AM • permalink

4. Good thing I forgot to get the old dog clipped. He’da frozen his nuts off by now… ‘cept he hasn’t got any.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 09:00 AM • permalink

5. This morning’s temperature in Quincy, MA = +9 degrees F.  Must be the jetstream or something…

Posted by RogerBournival on 2008 01 03 at 09:05 AM • permalink

6. This morning in Gulfport Mississippi, 24 degrees F!  And it is not supposed to go above 47F today.

Time for more cocoa!!

Posted by seawitch on 2008 01 03 at 09:10 AM • permalink

7. Al Gore - Snow Queen.

Posted by paco on 2008 01 03 at 09:18 AM • permalink

8. We’re looking at up to ten inches of rain here in LA…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2008 01 03 at 09:24 AM • permalink

9. 42 degrees C here in Perth today. Fires in the hills suburbs to the east have destroyed 5 houses. More fires burning in the northern suburbs. Up to 150 houses in danger. No surprise that they are suspected to have been deliberately lit.

I’m trying to track down a link to a story that a young man nailed a bloke, today, he thought was acting suspiciously around a bush area. He told him that he’d called the police saying, “You run, and I’ll run you down”. He didn’t run, and was subsequently arrested on four charges of arson for the fires in the same area just before Christmas.

The fire that killed three truckies on the Great Eastern Highway out of Coolgardie two days ago is also suspected to have been deliberately lit.

Posted by SandiM on 2008 01 03 at 09:30 AM • permalink

10. Bad weather in Queensland linky.
    At least there’s one good thing to come from the bad weather.

SandiM, good on him for catching the bugger I say.

Blaming you know what… hmm. Jeez, that’s a hard one to guess.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 09:36 AM • permalink

11. #10 kae: Yeah, I know how it is. I’ve often been accused of being too cryptic (heh).

Love that young bloke. Reminds me of John Smeaton.

Posted by SandiM on 2008 01 03 at 09:38 AM • permalink

12. Spare a thought for folks in central and northern Europe. Friends emailed today, heavy snowfalls look set to be over 1m, some parts expecting -20 deg temp by the weekend.

Here on the water in NSW we’ve had jacket weather, brisk winds and low summertime temperatures. I suspect climate change. Or solar cooling. Or melting icecaps on Mars. Or something. It can’t possibly be a normal weather cycle.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 09:40 AM • permalink

13. #9 SandiM,

“Regardless of all that, there are still those who are intent on blaming you-know-what.”

the ABC calls it “Extreme Weather”

Get with the programme!!!!  ;-)

Posted by Pogria on 2008 01 03 at 09:40 AM • permalink

14. #8 We’re looking at up to ten inches of rain here in LA…

Good. Maybe, the mayor and city attorney will shut up with the water conservation pitches while they use 5x the amount of water everyone else does. Another case of do as we say and not as we do.

Posted by Redd on 2008 01 03 at 09:45 AM • permalink

15. Yesterday morning 1F (that’s -17C) here.  I’m OK though.  My house is equipped with ALW (Anthropogenic Local Warming).

Posted by Dave in Chicago on 2008 01 03 at 09:52 AM • permalink

16. O.T.:  Oh, no!  Hicksy is threatening to appeal if he isn’t allowed to profit from his crimes.

Under U.S. law, if you enter a plea of guilty, except for specific instances which do not apply here, you waive your right to appeal. I assume if he does attempt to appeal in order to make $$$, the Australian people won’t be picking up the tab. What a creep.

Posted by Redd on 2008 01 03 at 09:54 AM • permalink

It can’t possibly be a normal weather cycle.

Of course not, MareeS, it’s that, um, you-know-what. Yeah. The Ice Queen Speaketh. (or is that sthpeaksth?)

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 09:57 AM • permalink

Next thing you know he’ll be wanting us to $ay $orry.

Oops, wrong clan.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 09:58 AM • permalink

19. kae:  I can’t believe the Australian moonbats are arguing he has a right to profit.

Posted by Redd on 2008 01 03 at 10:08 AM • permalink

20. Currently 0F here in Chicago.  My furnace is cranking, Al!  Come and get me!

Posted by the wolf on 2008 01 03 at 10:17 AM • permalink

21. Why don’t you believe it?
    They’ve proven that they will support any “Blair’s Law” cause.
    What’s the difference with Hicks?

They’d probably reel in horror at the thought of some paedophile making a profit by writing a book about…

But poor little Hicksy, misunderstood fool. Didn’t get treated right, blah, blah, blah…

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 10:19 AM • permalink

22. Gore has also been visiting India it seems: Freezing cold continues to sweep Punjab, Haryana; Nearly 50 dead due to cold snap

Posted by Burbank on 2008 01 03 at 10:31 AM • permalink

23. 28 F here in SE Washington, but no snow below (mebbe) 2000 feet MSL, highs are supposed to be in the 40s.

I must admit, Pensacola, Florida, was much nicer!

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 01 03 at 10:33 AM • permalink

24. #16, Redd,

First, I would be asking cui bono from this mooted action.

Hicks is a dill with an IQ of about 65. His father Terry is a deserter parent and has really sucked up the publicity as a belatedly loving father since the idiot son got caught gun-handed.

Bet your last dollar the ones who would benefit from a book deal are the people around Hicks, his father, his lawyers (who need a bit of money back for their pro bono efforts, and therefore will be brokering the deal), a journalist (we all know who she is), an agent, a publisher, all ready to make a profit from a compensation claim.

Now, if this deal happens, and perhaps it will, the entire proceeds should go to David Hicks’s children for their future education and welfare, not to the rats hanging around for a sniff at the cheese. Certainly not to DH or his father.

Personally, I hope Hicks and his father and his minders fail absolutely. Australian taxpayers are already supporting the Hicks bandwagon to a level more than they deserve.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 10:38 AM • permalink

25. I like Al Gore - he was a cute baby

Posted by Pig Head Sucker on 2008 01 03 at 10:38 AM • permalink

26. -17C right now in To-ron-to. But it’s a dry cold.

Posted by rick mcginnis on 2008 01 03 at 10:42 AM • permalink

27. #13 Pogria: Sorry, Pog (hanging head in shame).

Posted by SandiM on 2008 01 03 at 10:50 AM • permalink

28. +26F at my house this morning when I poured my first coffee. Warmed up to +29F now. Gonna be in the low 40’s for a high.

My cousin in Wyoming says the only 40 she’s seen was wind…with gusts to 80.

Gotta love NE Florida - we’ll be back in the high 60’s this weekend & there’s nothing I have to shovel.

AlGore is an ass.

Posted by KC on 2008 01 03 at 10:52 AM • permalink

29. #26 rick mcginnis

-17 dry cold sucks your lungs out in winter Canada, we found over there, being used to a more humid environment.

Here in summer Oz +40C can suck your brains out. However, thanks to global coldening, summer max for the past month has been about 18-25C, not 35-42C, which it can be at times.

The theorists are having a hard time spinning this nice comfortable La Nina as anything other than a climatic variation, as they will struggle with the northern winter.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 10:56 AM • permalink

30. Lee M. is an idiot. Warmening is coolening.

Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2008 01 03 at 11:02 AM • permalink

31. Here in Brandon, Florida, it’s a balmy 41°F (5°C), up from 28°F (-2.2°C).

Posted by ErnieG on 2008 01 03 at 11:08 AM • permalink

32. Sandi - Firebugs. (spit)

Hangin’s too good fer ‘em.

Posted by mojo on 2008 01 03 at 11:39 AM • permalink

33. I’ve spent $700 already in propane bills trying to create global warming in Louisiana, USA, but it’s not working.

Typically, it only takes about $300, pre-January 1 to create an acceptably globally warmed local environment since we are pretty far south.  But this year, lack of global warming has been devastating.  Frankly, I’m blaming all of YOU!

Burn more fossil fuels or something!  Why do you want our family to freeze?  The sun can’t keep the globe warm on it’s own, despite it’s best recent increased efforts.  We’ve each got to do our parts.  12 more degrees, that’s all I’m asking for.  That’s only like 5 in the centigrade world!  A mere pittance!  Please, help a brother out?

Posted by blogagog on 2008 01 03 at 11:46 AM • permalink

34. Right now in Pennsylvania, it’s 12 (that’s -11 or so C.) and going up to a balmy 18 (-7.8 C.)

Posted by rightwingprof on 2008 01 03 at 11:49 AM • permalink

35. The folks here in Toronto do not need their fridges. Just look here:

Note: Unfortunately, my folks just completely shun alcohol.

Posted by filcan on 2008 01 03 at 11:49 AM • permalink

36. Nineteen degrees F in Monmouth County NJ this a.m. Jon Bon Jovi and Bruuuuuuce Springsteen live here. They supported algore. This is not a coincidence.

Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2008 01 03 at 11:56 AM • permalink

37. Unfortunately, only one of the 4 NFL playoff games this weekend will be played in a potential blizzard city (Jax at Pittsburgh).  The other 3 are in the no-blizzard zone (Tampa, San Diego, Seattle).  Football played in a blizzard —The way God intended it to be.

Posted by David Crawford on 2008 01 03 at 12:05 PM • permalink

38. It’s probably snowing in Fiskville on Thames too.

Posted by Rob Read on 2008 01 03 at 12:15 PM • permalink

39. From Dr. David Whitehouse, the British astronomer and former science editor of the BBC as reported on the American Thinker (okay, that’s an oxymoron) web site:

“With only few days remaining in 2007, the indications are the global temperature for this year is the same as that for 2006 - there has been no warming over the 12 months. But is this just a blip in the ever upward trend you may ask? No. The fact is that the global temperature of 2007 is statistically the same as 2006 as well as every year since 2001. Global warming has, temporarily or permanently, ceased. Temperatures across the world are not increasing as they should according to the fundamental theory behind global warming - the greenhouse effect.”

Italics fixed. Watch yourselves. T. Mgmt.

Posted by Mystery Meat on 2008 01 03 at 12:36 PM • permalink

40. Well, who are you going to believe?

On one side, we have Al Gore, Nobel Prize winner, and some mathematical models.

On the other we have six years of observed temperatures and the comfort of knowing the models are provably wrong.

Are you going to let facts get in the way of nanny staters taking control of your life?  That’s a divinity school dropout you’re disrespecting.

Posted by MarkD on 2008 01 03 at 12:50 PM • permalink

41. Somebody forgot to close italics.

I forgot to mention it was around zero last night in upstate NY.  I can only imagine what some of those poor soldiers at Fort Drum think when they first experience the lake effect snow and the cold.  Summers are great here, but the winters are nasty and long.

Posted by MarkD on 2008 01 03 at 12:55 PM • permalink

42. Mystery Meat, fix the italics, I’m feeding the cats.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 12:57 PM • permalink

43. Ooopsy daisy. I hope Andrea’s still in a good mood from New Year’s.

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 01 03 at 01:08 PM • permalink

44. Per instructions, I’m not going to try to fix the italics.  You people can just clean up your own mess.

I don’t know what the temperature is outside, and I’m not going to find out.  It’s frickin’ COLD out there, and there’s at least a foot of global warmening covering everything.  If Al Gore were anywhere around, I’d pelt him with snowballs and mock his clothes and his mother.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 01 03 at 01:09 PM • permalink

45. The only week since Thanksgiving that we haven’t gotten hammered with snow was Christmas week. Coincidentally, a local jeweler had one of those “Buy any piece and it’s free if it snows on Christmas” promotions. There were a lot of sad bastards watching their honeys open their Christmas presents.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 01 03 at 01:16 PM • permalink

46. Currently 5 degrees with wind chills of minus-15.

Fahrenheit.

For you foreign metric types, that’s negative-fucktillion.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 01 03 at 01:18 PM • permalink

47. DaveS, doing my conversions from fahrenheit, as an ambimetric person, that’s -15C base temp, with wind chill of -15 (F or C?). Whichever, that’s way bloody cold, mate. Put another log on the fire.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 01:47 PM • permalink

48. Yep, -15 base with a windchill of -26.

Thankfully, the local news has helpful tips like “dress warm”, “keep skin covered”, “wear a hat”, etc. Really saved my ass, as I planned on going to work in shorts and sandals. BTW, did you know that it could be dangerous for the elderly to shovel heavy snow? Learn somethin’ new every day…

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 01 03 at 01:59 PM • permalink

49. #25: Oh, man, did that creep me out! I bet he was the kind of kid whose parents locked him in the closet (I would have).

Posted by paco on 2008 01 03 at 02:14 PM • permalink

50. BTW, did you know that it could be dangerous for the elderly to shovel heavy snow? Learn somethin’ new every day…

What?  It counts against their Social Security?

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 01 03 at 02:15 PM • permalink

51. Oh, here’s a great idea.

I say, no way - not unless they’re willing to mow my yard and prune my trees.

Posted by paco on 2008 01 03 at 02:29 PM • permalink

52. #48/50, DaveS and TRJ,

Do they really pay people in a public service job to give you this advice? So you don’t freeze to death? Put on a wooly hat and gloves, and don’t pick up a shovel if you’re over 40?

Like they tell us in Oz to wear a hat and slip-slop-slap so we don’t die of sunburn.
    As if we don’t ever see the sun? It shines a gazillion days a year, and most of us don’t die of melanoma, just as most Canadians don’t die of frostbite.

However, someone always has a job telling someone else what to do.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 02:30 PM • permalink

53. #52 mareeS: It’s worse. We now get a week’s worth of salmonella warnings before ThanksGiving.

Posted by Redd on 2008 01 03 at 02:42 PM • permalink

54. Watch out, here comes global coolening:

A cold spell soon to replace global warming—Oleg Sorokhtin for RIA Novosti, Jan. 3, 2008.

Posted by ForNow on 2008 01 03 at 03:03 PM • permalink

55. Do they really pay people in a public service job to give you this advice?

Yep.  It’s the incipient nanny state in American government.  So far, I’ve been able to resist that urge, in spite of the idiot directives that hit my in box from time to time.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 01 03 at 03:11 PM • permalink

56. Re #53, Redd:  don’t forget the public service announcements about protecting your skin from the sun starting about 1 June.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 01 03 at 03:12 PM • permalink

57. Plot outline as submitted by D. Hicks to his publisher:

Title:  Osama: His Part in my Victory.

Chap 1: Growin Up in boganville

Chap 2: Turd of a Fatha leeves us

Chap 3: Droppin out of scool and killin thingks and leavin my kids

Chap 4: Going to anotha countrie in a big plane!

Chap 5: Playin cowboys and indins in cashmire

Chap 6: First taste of goat (and I don meen eatin it)

Chap 7: Ethic cleansin in kosovo (scarin liddle old ladies in black saks)

Chap 8: Blowin shit up

Chap 9: Sharin a goat with Osama

Chap 10: The art of beard growin

Chap 11: Given my own tank!

Chap 12: Oh shit.

Chap 13: Five years of dealing with prics in suits that use big words

Publishers comment: Mr Hicks has attached a note saying that he needs more help with his chapter outlines.

Posted by mr creosote on 2008 01 03 at 03:46 PM • permalink

58. It dropped to the 20s here in Central Florida. The hardship was awful. I actually had to go out on my balcony and put my two potted plants in the storage closet.

Time for more nice, hot coffee.

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2008 01 03 at 03:51 PM • permalink

59. #2 Thanks Mr Bingley. I like being called a Celsiusian. It’s got a nice ring to it and sets us apart from bogan Earthlings.

For all of 2007 we have endured the reign of Australian of the Year Flannery while he predicted unending droughts, rising sea levels and rising temperatures. During his reign, we experienced the lowest ever recorded temperatures locally, frosts that killed my 25-year-old lychee trees and good summer rains.

In the first 3½ days of 2008, 5.2 inches of rain has registered in my rain gauge, and there’s more to come. The temperature has been a consistent 24°C (75°) so no air-con required.

I don’t know who the new AOY is, but he/she is doing OK so far.

Posted by Skeeter on 2008 01 03 at 03:55 PM • permalink

60. It’s even been bloody cold and windy here in Costa Rica. In the tropics! In the dry season! The thermometer has barely cracked 24°C the last couple of days, and that is cold for this part of the world, I can tell you. I keep checking to see if Al the Abominable Snowman is having one of his revival meetings down here.

Posted by David Gillies on 2008 01 03 at 04:12 PM • permalink

61. #59: (75°) = (75°F), of course.

Posted by Skeeter on 2008 01 03 at 04:14 PM • permalink

62. Well, I was hoping to take my 9 year old daughter ice skating.  But it dipped to 9 degrees F last night.  And, of course, I don’t like to be cold when I skate on ice.  Well, actually I sort of sit on the ice more than I skate.  That way I can trip couples skating in tandem and small kids.

But it’s supposed to be a bit warmer tonight so maybe we can go.  Depending on what mommy says.

Flashback to last night:

blabbermouth but cute daughter:  Daddy says we can go skating!

Cute but shrill wife:  WHAT!  ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

Well meaning but hen pecked husband:  Um, well, no.  I mean, she wants to go.  It’s a lot of fun.

Wife:  It’s 9 frickin degrees outside!

Husband:  Well, um, that’s not that bad.

Wife:  Hell it isn’t.  Do you want to give your daughter a cold?

Husband:  Well, no.  Um, course not.  I just thought ...

Wife:  She’s staying inside tonight.  And so are you.

A married couple with children:  It ain’t a democracy.

Posted by wronwright on 2008 01 03 at 04:47 PM • permalink

negative fucktillion

I know where you’re coming from.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 04:49 PM • permalink

Is Wayne Swan moonlighting in your news and weather advice section?

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 04:51 PM • permalink

65. Makes you wish Al Gore was running, doesn’t it?

The corpulent conman really does need to run.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 05:18 PM • permalink

66. Aw c’mon folks, everyone knows that cooling is part of glowball warming, ooops, climate change. Even our flame headed acting PM was telling us yesterday that because last year was the hottest on record for Altona that we needed to combat climate change! Maybe we could invite the Goreacle for a sabattical in Williamstown, that would fix the Southern Australia problem.

Posted by Quoll on 2008 01 03 at 05:44 PM • permalink

67. I’m back again and just as curmudgeonly as ever.  Maybe a fair bit more.

Don’t ask about my holidays - I worked every fucking day as well as trying to come to grips with Microfuckingsoft fuckingVista.

And I’m certainly not coming back to Australia (to live), now that you have a commie govt an all that.  I have to come back next month to show you commie assholes how to build dams.

So who is replacing Sheeds, eh?  Did they ask me?.  NFW, mate.

Posted by jlc on 2008 01 03 at 05:48 PM • permalink

68. Annual Australian Climate Statement 2007
    Issued 3rd January 2008 – Bureau of Meteorology

· Australian annual mean temperature for 2007 was 6th warmest on record (0.67°C above normal).
    · Australian annual mean maximum temperature for 2007 was 0.73°C above normal and annual mean minimum temperature 0.61°C above normal.
    · Highest on record annual mean and maximum temperatures across much of the south.

· Warmest year on record for Murray Darling Basin, South Australia, NSW and Victoria.

· Australian annual mean rainfall slightly more than average (25 mm above normal).
    · Average to above average annual rainfall across northern and central Australia, average to below average annual rainfall in the southwest, mixed results in the remainder.

· Long-term droughts persist in the far southwest and southeast.

Tellingly, towards the end of the BOM report, they nearly manage to hide this:

“Climate projections show a general drying trend across southern Australia over the decades ahead. However, it remains unclear how much of the current rainfall decline in the southeast can be attributed to human-induced climate change”.

Hmmm. Still a wee problem (as Billy Connolly would say), trying to blame us humans for this so-called, climate change thingo!

Posted by Bonmot on 2008 01 03 at 05:49 PM • permalink

69. btw - minus 24 celsius here this morning.

I thought youse arseholes were going to do something to accelerate the global warming we’ve all been dreaming about.

Posted by jlc on 2008 01 03 at 05:52 PM • permalink

70. Much is being made in South Australia that 2007 was the state’s hottest year. Clear evidence of the global warming trend, it’s claimed. What was the previous record? 1914, according to the radio.

Posted by Contrail on 2008 01 03 at 06:05 PM • permalink

JLC, stop you’re bitchin’.

We’re here for you aren’t we?

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 06:10 PM • permalink

72. Bonmot the BOM press release is a classic in cherry picking data to give a picture of continuing and general warming. The fact that it is only the 6th warmest on record though should say something. we are constantly beng told recent years are the 5th, 4th, tenth highest on record. Sorry, but if global warming is continuing in the desperate and uncontrolled manner we are told then we should be racking up a lot more 1sts and 2nds. These other results only suggest we are bouncing around near the top of a warming period which pretty much everyone acknowledges has occurred.

As for there being record annual mean and maximum temperatures in “much of the south” I’d like to know which parts of the south. There is no way around Canberra that this has been an unusually hot year. I think May was hottest on record but it was followed by June which was the coldest in over a decade and a cold winter. The rest of the year has been mild.

Posted by Francis H on 2008 01 03 at 06:19 PM • permalink

73. A whopping 29 degrees in Ruskin Florida this morning. I don’t have clothes for 29 degrees so I basically left the house this morning wearing half my closet.  I haven’t waddled this much since my pregnancy days.

Posted by ruskinrip on 2008 01 03 at 06:25 PM • permalink

74. Contrail - the irony is incomparable.  How do they explain that it took 93 years to manage a new record?  And what caused 1914 to be so hot all those carbonless 93 years ago?  nada!

I read this in my collins diary the other day:

“Success is not forever and failure is not fatal.”

I like it!

Posted by peter m on 2008 01 03 at 06:26 PM • permalink

75. 67 jlc

High Jack….ummm, no no…I mean Hi, Jack.

Posted by El Cid on 2008 01 03 at 06:28 PM • permalink

76. O/T
    This debunking truthers video is pretty cool, link at The Thin Man Returns.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 06:48 PM • permalink

77. Below a certain temperature (for me it’s 0 C) it’s just fucking cold and that’s all you need to know.

PWARRR! 0 C? That’s 32 F! Look at you, then! Why, if we get 0 C here in Maine between January 1st and the end of February, we put the coats away, throw on a hoodie and sneaks, and go for a walk on the beach! That’s bloody Indian summer here!

We’re supposed to get a heat wave next week. 42-48 F! I’m going to make naked snow angels.

It’ll be nice to piss off of the porch and not have it freeze before in hits the ground.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 01 03 at 07:04 PM • permalink

78. The midst of summer and here we have sub tropical and tropical Australia experiencing sub tropical and tropical lows that may or may not develop into cyclones.

Southern Australia experiencing a hot dry summer with high bushfire danger, interspersed with storms.

My weather prediction for 2008: Autumn rains in the south, snow in the Snowy Mountains, coinciding with a 6 month drought in the tropical north.

The weather’s gone mad I tells ya. There’s never been anything like this before…

Posted by Pickles on 2008 01 03 at 07:16 PM • permalink

79. #77 - Dave, Brunswick was our first duty station, 20 years ago (July86-Dec89). We lived out on Orr’s Island & I remember the winters well. My husband SAYS he remembers, but he was usually deployed. It was the first time that Hoosier boy saw snow on the first of May. Being from far northeast Montana, it wasn’t anything new to me. And you’re right, anything above +10F was WARM!

Posted by KC on 2008 01 03 at 07:19 PM • permalink

I stand by what I said, DaveS.
    Water freezes at 0 C. That’s too fucking cold for me. Anything below that is just obscene. (temps vary where I live from -5 C which is rare, to 43 C - and I really don’t know how any of the flora and fauna survive such global warmenizing, let alone the humans here!)
    Remember, I’m in Australia. Oldest continent on earth, where temperatures don’t really vary much.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 07:24 PM • permalink

81. #74 peter m: Somebody nicked that:

Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill)

Posted by SandiM on 2008 01 03 at 07:26 PM • permalink

82. #75 yeah! If you say so.

Posted by jlc on 2008 01 03 at 07:29 PM • permalink

83. #12   ‘It can’t possibly be a normal weather cycle.’

Just come back from doing volunteer conservation in the mid North of South Oz over the new year. We dug post-holes in 38+ mornings [over 100] and survived three afternoon 44s [107+?]in a ranger’s cabin with very poor air con. Slept in hot tents.

I love last century’s old weather saying:
    “No use complaining about what you can’t change.”

Posted by Barrie on 2008 01 03 at 07:33 PM • permalink

84. Being from far northeast Montana, it wasn’t anything new to me.

No kidding! You guys really get it there - Montana, the Dakotas… brrr! Maine must have felt like the Riviera.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 01 03 at 07:37 PM • permalink

85. But wait - even with all this warmening in the northern hemisphere, aren’t we told by Gore et Al that the ice caps are melting?

.... meanwhile some latest work over at Junk Science about sea ice:

What sea ice loss? - We’ve all heard that the much-dreaded global warming is melting the polar ice caps, but is there actually a net loss of sea ice?

According to NOAA data presented on the web site of Bill Chapman of the Polar Research Group at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), the level of sea ice has reached about the same level as it was in 2003.

Check out the red line at the bottom of this graph.

The current change in global sea ice coverage is a positive 1 million square kilometers—a gain of 1.8 million square kilometers in the Southern Hemisphere netted against a loss of 800,000 square kilometers in the Northern Hemisphere.

Gerbel Varmening indeed! Hilarious!

Posted by Wand on 2008 01 03 at 07:42 PM • permalink

86. Makes you wish Al Gore was running, doesn’t it?

Only if he’s wearing a correctly fitted sports bra.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 01 03 at 08:15 PM • permalink

87. SandiM - my diary says:

“Don Shula”

I guess he would have said it after Winston!

don, for us aussies

cheers

ps its raining hard here - hope our dams get some too!

Posted by peter m on 2008 01 03 at 08:37 PM • permalink

88. #86 Makes you wish Al Gore was running, doesn’t it?
    Only if he’s wearing a correctly fitted sports bra.

Thanks for that.  I’ll be up all night scrubbing my visual cortex now.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 01 03 at 09:08 PM • permalink

89. No good running Al.

We got dawgs

Posted by Pickles on 2008 01 03 at 09:10 PM • permalink

90. OT

TREASURER Wayne “Shopping Dockets” Swan is ‘urging’ local banks to be ‘mindful’ of increased cost pressures on families when considering lifting home loan rates.

Onya, Wayne!  Labor, the caring party.

Posted by spot_the_dog on 2008 01 03 at 09:40 PM • permalink

91. #83, Barrie,

SA is a good place to study the Australian climate. Back in the 1840-50s it was green and grassy after good years of monsoon flooding, so lots of free settlers took up what appeared to be good grazing and crop land there. Turns out it was a climate aberration, so in the 1880s, after many years of drought returned 80% of the place to its natural desert state, a line was drawn, now recognized as the 200mm annual rainfall line, that defines the area considered viable for agriculture.

The ruins of old dreams are everywhere out there, but not due to AGW.

Posted by mareeS on 2008 01 03 at 09:58 PM • permalink

92. #90 s_t_dog; from your link:

...we have now authorised the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) to investigate price rises at the petrol bowser and to take action,’’ (Wayne Swan) said.

Googling “ACCC petrol enquiry” produces 1,830 results.
    Let’s hope Treasurer Swan studies all those previous enquiries to learn why his predecessor’s attempts to control petrol prices through ACCC enquiries have failed.

Posted by Skeeter on 2008 01 03 at 10:09 PM • permalink

93. #72 heard theBOM guy interviewed on aunty a few days ago.  Unbelievably, he said something along the lines of:
    “it would have been Australia’s hottest year on record if it weasn’t for extermely low temperatures in the northern part of Australia”.

Way to expose his agenda.  If one was inclined to skepticism, you could just have easily said:

“if it wasn’t for some high temperatures in the southern part of Australia, it would have been one of the Australia’s coldest years on record”.

Posted by entropy on 2008 01 03 at 10:20 PM • permalink

94. Skeets, did you read the link to the inquiry held in Qld about the 8c/l subsidy that I put on a thread here ages ago? The inquiry was a joke.
    Here you go.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 10:21 PM • permalink

95. #18 “wanting us to say sorry”.

Funny you should mention that. On 3CR this morning some turnip-head rang in and said Hicks should be apologised TO.

This garnered a chorus of approval by the presenters, who also affirmed the bravery of Terry Hicks, and one of them suggested he get Father of the Year.

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 01 03 at 10:48 PM • permalink

#18 “wanting us to say sorry”.

oops, wrong clan

Um, it appears I was wrong. It’s all the Left Clan.

Terry Hicks is so brave.

Brave. BRAVE? What did that old goat do that was BRAVE?

Father of the Year. Yeah. Sure. Son’s an idiot and father loudly denounces him. Then the tune changes.

The nut* doesn’t fall far from the tree.

*rather apt I think.

Posted by kae on 2008 01 03 at 10:53 PM • permalink

97. See here for a flat rejection of global warming. Careful! Scientific reasoning employed!

(This link won’t break the page will it?)

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 01 03 at 11:04 PM • permalink

98. #97: Must…put on…tin foil hat…can’t…resist…scientific reasoning…

Posted by paco on 2008 01 04 at 12:26 AM • permalink

99. #92, #94; don’t you like this idea?

Oil giants should absorb petrol hikes:  AUSTRALIA’S four largest oil companies should absorb petrol price increases resulting from the jump in crude oil prices

I think it would be a nice, compassionate, caring gesture by those Evil Oil Giants.  And if anyone can talk them into doing it, it’ll be our Wayne, for sure.

Posted by spot_the_dog on 2008 01 04 at 01:37 AM • permalink

100. #93 Entropy - From memory I think the BOM did a similar release earlier in the year when they said someting along the lines of it would have been the warmest autumn on record except for the cold weather at the end.

Posted by Francis H on 2008 01 04 at 02:16 AM • permalink

101. And I’m freezing my nuts off in Canberra.

Posted by MarkL on 2008 01 04 at 03:12 AM • permalink

102. #91 Quite right, Maree. A relative supplied the Mid North’s expected growing settlements for some 40 years from 1870, but his business dried up as all the paddocks did.
    The new settlers were fooled by a strong local variation.
    Don’t our raving GW meteorologists get taught any history?

Posted by Barrie on 2008 01 04 at 03:39 AM • permalink

103. #101,

have you tried little tea-cosies?
    Perhaps the baby hats from a pair of Siamese twins would do the trick.

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 01 04 at 03:41 AM • permalink

104. Just got home from dinner with Mum in the Big Smoke and there’s been over 2 inches of rain here (that’s 54mm), and it’s still pissing down.
    I should have cleaned out the gutters - usually know they’re due for a clean when I have a choice, “hmm, can I get the mower/whippersnipper* up there?”

*weedwhacker/brushcutter

Posted by kae on 2008 01 04 at 09:13 AM • permalink

105. 19 (-7 C) now, going up to 30 (-1 C)! It’s a heat wave!

Posted by rightwingprof on 2008 01 04 at 11:16 AM • permalink

106. Hmmmmm.

Ugh.  Yeah I know.  Monmouth County is absolutely freezing right now.

I want to spend some time in the sauna.  But I’m not looking forward to how it’s going to feel when I leave and go back to the office.

Posted by memomachine on 2008 01 04 at 01:30 PM • permalink

107. Re: Don Shula

Testimonials

Bum Phillips: (explaining why Don Shula was a great coach in spite of the lack of a catchy moniker for his “system”): “He can take his’n and beat yours’n and take yours’n and beat his his’n.”

Deep, man. Really deep…