<< BIG LOSERS STILL BIG LOSERS ~ MAIN ~ DAY ONE >>

SITE MOVED

Adjust your bookmarks, people. We’ve shifted over here.

The new site - the shiny new Daily Telegraph site - is only an hour or so old as I write and very much a work in progress. No links yet to other blogs, nor do I have any idea how comments are meant to happen. Give it (and me) a few days.

Massive thanks are owed to Florida’s Andrea Harris, who patiently and expertly hosted me for five years and who during that time became something of a cult figure in Australia. It took the might of News Corporation to lure me away, Andrea.

Now - to the future!

Posted by Tim B. on 05/11/2008 at 11:59 AM
  1. last call for drinks…

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 11 at 09:37 PM • permalink

2. aa-argh

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 09:38 PM • permalink

3. Oops...

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 09:40 PM • permalink

4. blubber...

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 09:43 PM • permalink

5. Closing Time

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 11 at 09:44 PM • permalink

6. I walk alone

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 11 at 09:46 PM • permalink

He has been married twice.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 11 at 09:46 PM • permalink

8. Wail...

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 09:46 PM • permalink

9. you only get what you give

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 11 at 09:47 PM • permalink

10. #195 Let’s make it the never-ending thread. When someone comes across something interesting, we can post it here. Others can comment and then another thing will be posterd.

Hopefully, we will be able to perfect the nspell corrector.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 09:49 PM • permalink

11. yowl...

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 09:50 PM • permalink

12. Hey, intersting thought: Has Tim’s evil paymaster contractually obligated him to close this site down??

Just arsking.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 09:51 PM • permalink

13. Let’s make it the never-ending thread
    wimpy, unfortunately threads on this blog close after 7 days.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 11 at 09:51 PM • permalink

14. We are now on Page 2, keep going.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 11 at 09:53 PM • permalink

15. Grimmy yup!

Andrea? 2007?

Posted by Mike H. on 2008 05 11 at 09:55 PM • permalink

16. Now I have Andrea’s webmistress services to myself.

Mwuhahahahahahahaha!

Posted by charles austin on 2008 05 11 at 09:58 PM • permalink

17. #2012 Habib, what are you doing showing me that photograph?. I want to penetrate.... But perhaps you misled me,....

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 09:58 PM • permalink

18. Putting ratbags in polite company has been tried before with predictable results

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 11 at 09:58 PM • permalink

19. #215 Thing is Infidel, when you got (enough) money in the pocket you can hire a woman who will lie to you.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:02 PM • permalink

20. Looks like dissenting comments don’t see the light of day, or the moderators are slower than the counter staff at the Titles Office (who seem to be trapped in a different time/space continuum, where movement is restricted by a tracle-textured atmosphere)- I put one up comparing in most unfavourably with the no-fun zone of Bolts, slow loading, comment-moderated to death and infested with more spaccas than a Tasmanian sheltered workshop, and saying it looks to be about as thrilling as a wet Sunday in East Sale during a beer strike and hoon clampdown by the Vic filth and it’s yet to surface. Where’s my freedom of speech on someone else’s dime?

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 11 at 10:02 PM • permalink

21. Holy crap, is this the fastest expanding page or whatever?

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:02 PM • permalink

22. blubber

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:06 PM • permalink

23. Wail!

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 10:09 PM • permalink

24. Onward to the future!

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:11 PM • permalink

25. Janong 1 is already there, at the new place.

I don’t like it. They’ll let anyone in.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 10:11 PM • permalink

Seems as though Rupert has managed to clamp down on dissent, while maintaining a facade of business as usual.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 11 at 10:14 PM • permalink

27. bahhhh

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:14 PM • permalink

28. 2nd page, #15, Mike H:

Well, UUHRAA.

Posted by Grimmy on 2008 05 11 at 10:17 PM • permalink

29. Sorrowful but proud!

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:18 PM • permalink

30. garrrgghhhhh

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:18 PM • permalink

31. And the greatest love song ... ever

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:20 PM • permalink

32. Holy crap, is this the fastest expanding page or whatever?
    The rate of expansion is somewhat related to Margos wailing and bawling. Once she calms down things will be a little more peaceful and civilised.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 11 at 10:20 PM • permalink

33. bwaaaa

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:23 PM • permalink

34. sniff

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 10:28 PM • permalink

35. Of interest to the cognoscenti is which is th greatest love song ion the world” “Ne me quitte pas” ot “La vie en rose”. It’s rather like the discussion of who is the greatest, Mozart or Bachh.

Sorry, clearly Bach is. Take it away Jacques.
    BTW He was Belgian.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:32 PM • permalink

36. My second comment at that other place out of moderation.
    Will Lorie Loeb be like Leopold and Loeb and retain a Clarence Darrow? Paco may know.
    stackja of sydney (Reply)
    Mon 12 May 08 (11:52am)

And someone else.

From what the warmenists say the bears are toast anyway.
    kae (Reply)
    Mon 12 May 08 (11:59am)

What, no penguins in the graphics as well?
    The_Real_JeffS (Reply)
    Mon 12 May 08 (12:05pm)

We may yet win the war.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 11 at 10:37 PM • permalink

37. #34 beautiful wimpy.

Let’s hope though, that Tim has no regrets.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 11 at 10:38 PM • permalink

38. No video but a brilliant song

OK I’m being sentimental .. but you must learn that Jacques Brel is/was one of the greatest singers/songwriters ... ever.

yeah, but he’s French you say. No, he was Belgian, much to the chagrin of the French.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:38 PM • permalink

39. Oh well, if it’s a Gallic touch you’re looking for…

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 10:40 PM • permalink

40. And I might be biased, but I prefer to take my regrets Walking.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 10:44 PM • permalink

41. I see Rupert has even sprung for advertising.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 11 at 10:44 PM • permalink

42. God, I’m going to miss this site.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 05 11 at 10:48 PM • permalink

43. Over an hour and my snide swipe still hasn’t appeared- it’s about as spontaneous over at Rupertville as a Kevin Rudd photo op.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 11 at 10:52 PM • permalink

44. # 250 + 20,. What is it about mainlanders and Tasmanians, Habib? There definately appears to be some issues.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 10:58 PM • permalink

45. It is a sad day in Blogworld.

I have been a dedicated daily reader for years, and have always enjoyed the cut and thrust of the commentariat, the wit and humour of people like paco, Habib, Margo’s Maid, and many others.

There is a select group of people here who can nod wisely when Zulu spears, Sumerian mead and Tardis travel occupies a page of discussion, and nobody once asks “WTF?”

I have particularly enjoyed the interaction between the Australian and US commenters, and I would venture to suggest that Tims’ blog has done more to cement international relations than all the feeble efforts of the smarmy little earwax gobbler currently infesting the Lodge.

As someone wisely mentioned above, nothing is forever.

It has been lots of fun, people. I will miss you all, and it feels as if a member of the family has dropped off the perch and left a gap in the chaos that is Casa Pedro.

Vaya con Dios.

Posted by Pedro the Ignorant on 2008 05 11 at 11:02 PM • permalink

46. Remeber the Montey Python sketch with all the passionj, and it’s all about llamas.

Well, this song is passionate, but read the subtitles.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 11:05 PM • permalink

47. #47: Casa Pedro...Casa Paco! Hey, if I start a blog, that would be a great name!

Posted by paco on 2008 05 11 at 11:07 PM • permalink

48. #46- Let’s just say that the gene pool in the Apple Isle is suitable only for wading, and in dire need of a shock chlorination.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 11 at 11:13 PM • permalink

49. #24 + 250 Margosw Miad, did I see a

I hope this is not the end.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 11:17 PM • permalink

50. And we law-abiding former firearm owners on the mainland have one of Tasmania’s best a brightest to thank for the idiotic weapons laws we’re now forever saddled with (along with their half-witted and incompetent law enforcement and mental health “professionals” who allowed the fuckwit loose and to get tooled up).

As my father-in-law was apt to comment, "Melbourne is the arsehole of the world, and Tasmania’s what fell out of it”.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 11 at 11:17 PM • permalink

51. #47 Hey, Pedro, what are we in Canada? Chopped liver??>?>?

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 11:26 PM • permalink

52. #40 Swinish, my god that guy wasn’t called humpa-dick for nuffink. He had women whimpering at his feet.

Now, whatever happened to Stop Continental Drift?

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 11 at 11:34 PM • permalink

53. A huge thanks to Andrea.  The moderator of choice.

Posted by Irobot on 2008 05 11 at 11:37 PM • permalink

54. Wimpy - you’re dropping the ball here, leaving me to post the iconic Canadian farewell.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 11:38 PM • permalink

55. Andrea, immoderate moderator.

Works for me!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 11:39 PM • permalink

56. Did Lord Rove authorize this?  If not he’s gonna be pissed.  This mucks up the whole communications network for the International Neocon Conspiracy(TM).  Now we’ll have to get Q Branch to design a new system, and I shudder to think how long that will take to debug.

Kudos to Andrea for her fine work over so long a time.  It’s not just anybody who can keep Wronwright in line, not to mention all those trolls.

Pedro, you speak for me too.  It’s been great fun here, and I feel like all the Blairistas are friends.  But I doubt we can keep the spirit alive at the new digs.  Murdoch’s minions won’t stand for some of the shennanigans that went on here.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Posted by Michael Lonie on 2008 05 11 at 11:41 PM • permalink

57. To all my fellow Blairistas: Ave et Vale.  Maybe we’ll meet again over at Andrea’s or at Jules’ place, or elsewhere among the isles of the blogosphere.

Posted by Michael Lonie on 2008 05 11 at 11:45 PM • permalink

58. Well, my comments are all up now. I guess it works even if not instantly like here.

Posted by andycanuck on 2008 05 11 at 11:46 PM • permalink

59. Who’s going to clean up after Gloria?

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 11 at 11:46 PM • permalink

60. #61 I’m not free on Mundi.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 11:48 PM • permalink

61. Bah - typical Fairfax, refuses to reveal that suspects are of middle eastern appearance.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 11:58 PM • permalink

62. Grimmy, yowza, yowza, now if I can only remember ‘which’ blog I wrote ‘what’ comment on I’ll be set. And probably gamed.

Posted by Mike H. on 2008 05 12 at 12:03 AM • permalink

63. Shocked at the news.  Life won’t be the same again…

Thanks to Tim, Andrea and the many regular contributors to what has been my favourite source of news and the world’s sharpest and wittiest commentary.

Tim, I hope your new site doesn’t have to end up like Bolta’s; Andrew does a marvellous job but there’s a awful lot of dross to sift through to find a few gems in the comments.

Who’s for a celebratory booze-up in Perth?

Posted by Ubique on 2008 05 12 at 12:10 AM • permalink

64. And it’s time for me to disappear into the sunset too. Been fun though. That’s all Folks.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 12:12 AM • permalink

65. All the best, Andrea, and thanks for putting up with some irreverent Aussies ;)’

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 12:15 AM • permalink

Fuck you Americano.

(Don’t worry, you’ll thank me later)

Posted by Dan Lewis on 2008 05 12 at 12:16 AM • permalink

67. #66 aw shit blogstrop,

just as we were getting to know each other. :(

As blog strop said, That’s All folks!

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 12:17 AM • permalink

68. Mike H.

Nothing meant by it other than it’s just good to see good folk loitering around the same places I tend to haunt.

Makes me feel a bit like one of the good guys by association.

Besides, there’s a few current and former Army guys commenting here, and you know how parochial and prideful they can be. It’s nice to know I got a fellow Marine around to watch my back.

Posted by Grimmy on 2008 05 12 at 12:19 AM • permalink

69. P.S.
    May one resubmit an ole moderated ‘splodin’ muzzi granny post? ;)’

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 12:20 AM • permalink

70. Oh, and are all y’all signing up over at the new digs with different sigs?

There’s some folk commenting over there that sound like long lost kindred souls, but most of the names aren’t clicking as known.

Posted by Grimmy on 2008 05 12 at 12:21 AM • permalink

71. Oh, yeah… nearly forgot…

Now I remember why I don’t trust furrin deeveels.

Look at how nice and comfy everything was here… and what’s the dang furrin deeveel go and do? Throws it all up in the air and pours water on it.

Dagnabid furrin deeveels! If they was decent folk, they’d have been born American.

Posted by Grimmy on 2008 05 12 at 12:23 AM • permalink

72. Ubique - email me.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 12 at 12:25 AM • permalink

73. An offer Blair couldn’t refuse.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 12:28 AM • permalink

74. sad effing day, indeed. an invaluable forum for dialogue and understanding b/w mericans and stralians has been closed. perhaps we’ll meet again in the ether, but, I fear snot gonna be same.  a msm blog aint a blog. may as well be havin sex with a condom [rubber to you yanks] bye y’all.

Posted by larrikin on 2008 05 12 at 12:29 AM • permalink

75. I hope you all realise this was just so Tim could welch on the frequent posters points program (and to think, I passed on a trip to Babylon in the tardis cause I nearly had enough for a weekend in Gomorrah)

Posted by larrikin on 2008 05 12 at 12:39 AM • permalink

It’s all becoming crystal clear!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 12:41 AM • permalink

77. Ah, Paco, I hope we can read your stories elsewhere. I do enjoy them.

As regards defamation, the lawsuits would fly at News Ltd mainly but an Australian with a few coins in his pocket could be targeted too. I won’t register at the Daily Telegraph under my present blog name because I don’t want lawyers trawling back through timblair.net, then getting a court order for News Ltd to disclose enough details to identify me.

Sounds paranoid but Australia didn’t get its defamation laws to encourage free speech.

Posted by Contrail on 2008 05 12 at 12:44 AM • permalink

78. For what it’s worth, here are my nominations for the Timbo Awards:

1. Favourite thread/s
    2. Favourite commenters
    3. Best troll/s
    4. Miscellaneous

Here’s mine

1 Sandwich is a disgrace

2 Infidel Tiger, Habib, Dave S (Damn you!), Stop Continental Drift (RIP wherever you are), 1.6 (What a honey)

3. Miranda Divide, of course

4. Did everyone work out the identity of Miranda? Tim left clues.

Also, I suspect Loewenstein may have been a troll who was chased out of here a few years ago. Anyone care to nominate his nom de plume?

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 12:50 AM • permalink

79. Ah ha. Here you all are.
    No, “fuck” didn’t get in. Pathetic. And grimmy, it’s not uttering the word that is so important, it is being amongst people who don’t care if you do, who don’t go all Muslim just because someone broke a language taboo, who keep their eyes on the main topic.
    It smells like, I dunno, freedom.

Posted by ooh honey honey on 2008 05 12 at 12:54 AM • permalink

80. Damn, I leave for 5 measly hours and look what happens!

I think this probably IS the fastest growing thread in Blairistan history.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 01:11 AM • permalink

81. These were the days.

hal_thall, addamo and Miranda all in the one thread.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 01:14 AM • permalink

82. #79 Contrail

Ah, Paco, I hope we can read your stories elsewhere. I do enjoy them.

If News Ltd becomes too oppressive, there’s always Andrea’s or Jules’.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 01:18 AM • permalink

83. You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips.
    And there’s no tenderness like before in your fingertips.
    You’re trying hard not to show it, (baby).
    But baby, baby I know it…

You’ve lost that bloggin’ feeling,
    Whoa, that bloggin’ feeling,
    You’ve lost that bloggin’ feeling,
    Now it’s gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Now there’s no welcome look in your eyes
    when I reach for you.
    And now your’re starting to critisize little things I do.
    It makes me just feel like crying, (baby).
    ‘Cause baby, something in you is dying.

You lost that bloggin’ feeling,
    Whoa, that bloggin’ feeling,
    You’ve lost that bloggin’ feeling,
    Now it’s gone...gone...gone...woooooah

Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a love...a love...a love you don’t find everyday.

So don’t...don’t...don’t...don’t let it slip away.

Baby (baby), baby (baby),
    I beg of you please...please,
    I need your love (I need your love),
    I need your love (I need your love),
    So bring it on back (So bring it on back),
    Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that bloggin’ feeling,
    Whoa, that bloggin’ feeling
    Bring back that bloggin’ feeling,
    ‘Cause it’s gone...gone...gone,
    and I can’t go on,
    noooo…

Bring back that bloggin’ feeling,
    Whoa, that bloggin’ feeling
    Bring back that bloggin’ feeling,
    ‘Cause it’s gone...gone…

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 01:20 AM • permalink

84. dang, dang dang.

Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only blog me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a blog ..a blog ..a blog you don’t find everyday.

So don’t...don’t...don’t...don’t let it slip away.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 01:23 AM • permalink

85. Gone but not forgotten, LeftieLatteLover and gustov deleft

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 01:26 AM • permalink

86. Well, It’s official. Tim’s new site sucks worse that a $2 Bangkok hooker with asthma and a mouthful of broken glass. I just reread a few of those threads Margos (you’ll always be apostrophe free to me) and I started to well up. They were pieces of art. Newspaper blogs are the ugliest things on the net - including goatse & co.

For what it’s worth I’m probably going to be a lot more productive at work, but I’m also going to smile a lot less and probably regress to my previous status as unenlightened lager lout.

The thought of not reading the witticisms of Margos Maid, Contrail, Dan Lewis, Dave S. (2006 coment of the year winner in January), Paco, Wronwright, SCD… ah bugger it. Just like those Japs who refuse to believe WWII is over, I’m sticking it out. Who’s with me?

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 01:34 AM • permalink

87. Yep IT. I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Poor Tim, he seems as busy as a pickpocket at a kangaroo’s convention, being his first day and all. But there seems to be more topics than comments.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 01:40 AM • permalink

88. #89 - Can you believe it? I called someone a “knob jockey” and they won’t publish. Why that’s almost a term of endearment around here.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 01:43 AM • permalink

89. Odd indeed that Ch9 et al can indulge in a primetime profanity parade but tabloid newspapers get all coy over the use of naughty words, even on their websites.

Well fuck that. And BTW, while I still can, does it give anyone else the screaming shits when you get stuck behind some clueless, ignorant dickhead who can’t go to the fruit shop with enough fucking cash to carry out a $4.38 purchase and has to use a fucking credit card AND a fucking loyalty card?

People like that should be given hydrochloric acid enemas while being lectured about global warming climate change and how it’s all their fault by Phillip Adams, Traceeeeeeeeeeeeeee and Tim Flannery. And made to appear on Carbon Cops for the entire series, being patronised by idiot hippies and scorned by ABC viewers. And made to buy and drive a Prius. With a fucking bicycle rack. But only to the bus stop or railway station where they have to jam into a lurching, filthy and overcrowded conveyance in which they’ll be jammed next to a wino who has filled the legs of his pants with his own odure, and whose breath gives the impression that he’s been dining on the contents of his dacks. And who wants to inform them of what a swell job Kevin Rudd’s doing, and what a spunk his missus is.

I’ll bet the likes of this won’t get in run in fucking Murdochia- might have to resurrect the deservedly demised Daily Diatribe for any future fornicatey frivolity, unfettered by the sort of wowserish wankery that produces the likes of this farty bollocks.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 01:44 AM • permalink

Did everyone work out the identity of Miranda? Tim left clues.

Must’ve missed it ... gissahint?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 01:46 AM • permalink

91. #91 - Bring back the Daily Diatribe! Censored Habib is like light beer - a waste of everyones time.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 01:48 AM • permalink

92. Doubtless, David Marr will have a piece on the VRWC’s reduction in free speach ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 01:50 AM • permalink

93. #88 Tiger,

I’m in.

This blog move reminds of the occasional great comedy or drama that had a cult following on the ABC being wooed over to the commercial stations, only to die a sad and lonely death late at night.

All it needs now is for channel 9 to buy Top Gear and we may as well go screaming into that good night. *sigh*

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 01:50 AM • permalink

94. I’m here to the death.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 01:54 AM • permalink

95. #88 Infidel Tiger

Are we hanging out here until Security throws us out?

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 01:55 AM • permalink

96. #80 Let’s just say this woman now oversees a media empire that has been much talked about in these pages.

My fervant hope is that Miranda herself may grace us with a farewell message.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 02:03 AM • permalink

97. I’ll get turfed out early- I’m wearing shorts. Probably be lucky to not get a jolly good hiding from one of the srly, ‘roided up coconuts on the door as well, just for a witty quip like “mind where your mits go, mongo.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 02:03 AM • permalink

98. The blogsheep have lost their shepherd.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 02:05 AM • permalink

99. Miranda’s true identity is still a - sorry, another song cue...

Habib, that might be farty bollocks, but it’s well researched farty bollocks. That chart of swear words rated according to their offensiveness - find a schoolboy who wouldn’t happily devour such information (and put it to good use).

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 12 at 02:07 AM • permalink

100. I once got launched out the door of a nightclub, except I wasn’t the one causing trouble: my date was. She got into a fist-fight with her brother’s ex-girlfriend and I made the mistake of trying to break it up.

:^þ

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 02:09 AM • permalink

101. #90, 91 & 95

Yes well, started drinking here cause it reminded me of me favourite pub. Now it seems to have gone the way of many others, bought by a brewerey and fitted out with all nice carpet up the walls, polished aluminium chairs (hopeless for cracking heads) and pissy little trays for giving you your change on.

Apparently it’s “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service”, “No work clothes after 6pm” and “No foul language”.

Oh well, next thing we’ll see ads for trivia nights, fukn karaoke and other shit, once the new owners work out that it’s the same as that other joint run by that Clog Wog around the corner.

This was a good pub once, but they decided to try and attract a better type of person, hopefully increasing revenue. Now the place is full of pokies, bull dykes, Baptists and the odd whingeing shirtlifter having deep and meaningfuls over a quick Pimms and lemonade. Can’t even get a decent mixed grill.

Under New Management the sign says. Oh well, fuk it, let’s go round the Royal.

The front bar’s still got tiles smells of spilt beer and the dunnies smell like wee and stale trought lollies. Paradise

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 02:15 AM • permalink

102. And the public bar is tiled, including the walls so at closing time you can just hose off all the spilt piss, blood, teeth and wee, and the barmaids might be a bit old but they’re got tits like a dead heat in a zeppelin race and can punch on like Snowy Baker if any of the louts get lippy.

Used to be if you got your eyes poked out with a pool cue you could still find your way to the pub by smell- a combo of stale beer, ‘baccy smoke, urine and chunder; now rhey smell like a hippies fart-sack- a vile combo of patchouli, assorted salady whiff and cheap dunny cleaner.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 02:28 AM • permalink

103. And the boss bar maid Andrea’s stock standard line was “Hey you, finish your beer and fuck off”.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 02:36 AM • permalink

104. Get the diatribe up and running again Habib, we’ll need it.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 12 at 02:45 AM • permalink

105. This is the saddest fucking wake I’ve ever been to. :(

Habib, like Nic said, get the Diatribe going again.  We need somewhere we can scream and spew.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 02:48 AM • permalink

106. 2/81, OOH:

It dont bother me none if folk get all cussy. I’m not saintly in my usual wordage, myself.

Cussing isn’t what I’ll miss. It’s being able to place justifiable tags on the islamo/lefto/pinko/betrayo tards and express myself in a meaningfully mean-full way about such.

I’m going to miss not being able to talk about the enemy as if they’re actual enemy.

Posted by Grimmy on 2008 05 12 at 02:51 AM • permalink

107. #105- If she bothered to say anything at all before whacking you across the mush with an empty beer jug, making sure you landed face first in all the dumpers, golly and spilt piss in the tray behind the footrail.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 02:52 AM • permalink

108. But, what the hell does Andrea have against the fine Scottish restaurant?

Posted by Badass Cinema on 2008 05 12 at 02:55 AM • permalink

109. Thank you Andrea for all your patience.
    Who can blame the landlord for yielding to the developers?
    Besides, there’s always Ace.

Posted by lotocoti on 2008 05 12 at 02:55 AM • permalink

110. I just hope Rupert paid TB heaps for goodwill. Ah well the fluctuating fortunes between the top pub and the bottom pub. Same as it ever was.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 02:55 AM • permalink

111. Maybe not the greatest love song ever.

Posted by dean martin on 2008 05 12 at 02:56 AM • permalink

112. Handy too that the blokes running the meat trays were easily threatened with being bummed by the biggest and ugliest member of the shout, and conveniently sold winning tickets for the rump and snag tray and the carton of stubbies and bottle of rum just in time for chucking-out time for the first Sunday sesh, which allowed the barbie to be hot enough to vapourise mild steel (lit as it were prior to departure to the pub, and just as well it’s stainless) so a nicely carbonised feed could be inhaled prior to the arvo sesh and following lock-in.

And you knew the car was safe in the car park, because your fellow barflies “wouldn’t pinch a mates car, eh”.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 02:58 AM • permalink

113. Don’t forget what happended at The Star Hotel

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 02:58 AM • permalink

114. Well, once again I’m a bit slow on the uptick, but DAMN!!  I can’t believe this site will be going silent.  I’m sorry Tim, I just can’t get real enthused about your new place yet; maybe with time I’ll adjust.

As so many of you have already pointed out, this site is the greatest.  What a wonderful, WITTY group.  Paco, wronwright, The_Real_Jeff_S, Rebecca, kae, ALL of you - you’ve convulsed me with laughter more than you’ll ever know.  And Andrea, I can only echo the praise already heaped upon you for being the master chief on this ship of fools.

And I have learned more about Australia in a few years of reading this blog than I had in the previous 43 of my life.  If nothing else, I think there is more that truly binds our nations togehter than could ever split us apart, especially considering the good, decent folk I’ve come to know here.  And maybe someday I WILL understand the rules of cricket.

And Tim, no matter what, thanks for the almost non-stop contributions you have made to the art of clear reasoning, and the application of same to demolishing the fuzzy-headed ideas spouted by today’s liberal “thinkers”.  Keep up the good fight.

This is Tex, reluctantly, signing off at timblair.net.  Vaminos, muchachos!!

Posted by Tex Lovera on 2008 05 12 at 03:12 AM • permalink

115. 108 Grimmy that’s true too. That is a more serious problem. Ranting, racial slurs, they are some of my favourite moments, they affirm our immunity from the politically correct inability to acknowledge that funny can be just funny and nothing else.
    But worse is the loss of spontaneity. I posted at 3.16 (a reply to this “Janine I"), and it didn’t appear until 4.29.
    It ain’t exactly arriving home and not noticing the vicar until after you’ve molested the wife.

Posted by ooh honey honey on 2008 05 12 at 03:14 AM • permalink

116. as unhappy as I am with this development, there are two advantages.
    First, people who were locked out of Blairville because of the closed registration can now participate. One person has already left a comment at the new site saying “Finally, I am participating in the comments.”
    Second, there will be much more troll-meat to feed on.

The biggest downside is the lag between posting your comment and when it appears, due to the moderation process. That’s the reason I don’t go to Bolt’s blog much.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 03:16 AM • permalink

117. just a reminder, I’m trying to organise a farewell party for Tim’s blog in Sydney. This is your last chance to meet fellow Blairites in person!
    Recommendations for suitably crusty pub (or sterile trendy bar, whatever) are welcome.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 03:21 AM • permalink

118. Not to mention the regular visits from promotional lovlies, who’d introduce themselves in dulcet tones "Any of youse blokes want some freebie darbs?" Or the oysterman who’d sneak up behind you on a Friday arvo and shreik “HYEERSTARS!!!” right in your ear, causing the contents of your pot to be splattered all over the ceiling (causing much mirth, and also to slowly succumb to gravity and drip on your scone all night) and you’d still buy three bottles off the old looney. Or the Salvos coming in later to flog “War Cries", who you’d happily give a sling to as an investment in your future.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 03:24 AM • permalink

119. #118 daddy dave,

“Why they can’t introduce a registration system like every independent blog out there is beyond me.”

Because that would lower the advertising revenue.

#117 ooh honey honey,

the instant posting is what made this blog the treasure that it is/was.
    If I wanted to wait for a reply to a comment, I’d write a letter. *sigh*

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 03:30 AM • permalink

120. What’s the bet the new place has a salad bar?

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 03:32 AM • permalink

121. #121 - Looks like the comments will be delivered once a day by the paperboy.

It’s the end of the affair. It’s been real.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 03:36 AM • permalink

I believe “All things in moderation, including moderation.” best sums it up.
    However it’s my understanding that legally, it’s in the proprietor’s best interests to filter.
    And not just in the instance of defamation.
    Consider, for example, the risks of facing contempt charges for discussing matters concerning a current judicial proceeding which have not come before the empaneled jury.
    At least Miss Fits can now visit and declare:
    “Nice carpet, SNIPhead.”

Posted by lotocoti on 2008 05 12 at 03:37 AM • permalink

123. When I wake up tomorrow, I will realise that all this was just a bad dream....

Posted by Penguin on 2008 05 12 at 03:40 AM • permalink

124. #122 Tiger,

and a capuccino maker.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 03:44 AM • permalink

125. Who knows what the reasons were for the change? My only comment is that sometimes a good formula is what makes a product special. For example, Coke works, but new coke or cherry coke, less so, coke shampoo, forget it.It’s quiet over at the new site, I hope things pick up though I’m not sure that the successful formula here that led to so much traffic is suited to the new, chosen medium.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 12 at 03:48 AM • permalink

126. #127 Nic,

things get quiet at those blogs at night because the moderators go home.

If you post late at night, your comment wont go up until the next morning.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 03:53 AM • permalink

127. Pog, particularly an issue as this site had a lot of US traffic

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 12 at 04:00 AM • permalink

128. #129 Nic,

exactly!

And for we insomniacs.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 04:08 AM • permalink

129. Yeah, this gives me the shits, a bit, because of the bloody delay imposed . No immediacy=less fun.

Still, I’ll give it a burl, why not? I might get to piss off more dropkicks and retarded lefties.

Trust the MSM to take all the best features out of blogs. Cretins.

I notice that the droolers at Blair and Bolt Watch are gambolling with excitement about this. Apparently, the only reason they have never been able to tear us all limb from limb is becuase registration here is closed.

Oh, REALLY? Come on, boys, girls and Wronwright, lets go get ‘em.

canberra

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 12 at 04:08 AM • permalink

130. Farewell to all, see you on the other Telegraphic side…

Mistress Andrea, no-one could keep you down and I never did understand all the fuss about spilt italics but hey! time to grow up and put our comments in a li’l ol’ suit, tie and heels.

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 12 at 04:10 AM • permalink

131. #131 MarkL,

I believe something is lost in Extreme Troll Fighting when you can’t deliver an instant smack down.

Commenting on Tim’s new blog is like the difference between watching Benny Hill or being at the Melbourne comedy festival.

The laughs at Benny’s are instantaneous, any laughs at the comedy fest are delayed by up to two weeks, usually when you’re straining on the dunny and you can’t think of anything else to keep your mind off the pain.

Like all good comedy, timing is everything.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 04:16 AM • permalink

132. I must say, the delays posting comments on the new site are a bit annoying, especially when I wanted to follow up on a previous comment I made which was already approved.

Posted by Nicholas on 2008 05 12 at 04:24 AM • permalink

Tex, luv, this is more important than cricket.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 04:25 AM • permalink

134. #121, 123 et al
    Instant comments.

I don’t have a paperboy. I’m stuffed!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 04:30 AM • permalink

135. This is the end of the Internet.
    Again

Cheers

Posted by J.M. Heinrichs on 2008 05 12 at 04:36 AM • permalink

136. If it wasn’t for Blair I’d never have achieved such personal milestones as this description of myself over anonymouslefty’s:

And what is the topic of this thread anyway? how batshit retarded Bolt, Blair and their followers are or something? Ok, i’ll get back on that.

That infidel tiger person seems to be one of the bigger arse hats i have read comments from in a long time.
    EvShow | 03.19.08 - 3:12 pm | #

Those were the days.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 12 at 04:43 AM • permalink

137. *sigh*

Tonight, a year ago. Meeting some of the Sydney crew.
    And Tim.
    And JM.

How are we going to hook up now if there’s no bios?
    You have to be able to ban trolls, but allow spontaneous commenting.

Tim, are you there?

Change is fine, but I’m not sure this is for the better.

The only reason I would read Bolta’s was because timblair.net was dead.
    The ONLY reason.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 04:45 AM • permalink

138. Hmm.

Registering at Andrea’s, make sure you all do, gang.

Hey ANDREA!

How about getting Tim’s OK to swipe some of his posts and stick ‘em up as a guest post?

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 12 at 04:46 AM • permalink

139. #139 Kae,

“Tonight, a year ago. Meeting some of the Sydney crew.
    And Tim.”

That’s why he’s dumped us!!!!!!

It’s all your fault you hussy!!!  ;-)

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 04:57 AM • permalink

140. #140 MarkL,

already there, I’ve got the top bunk!

Don’t try to snaffle it while I’m out. There’s a nasty surprise waiting in there for anyone who tries to take the top bunk.

I wont be gone long. I’ve only gone out to get more booze.

Fuck, the cars are on the wrong side of the road. Does everybody drive drunk in Florida?

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 05:02 AM • permalink

141. If timblair closes then maybe time for
    Clairslair’s Weblog
    Clairslair is open.  What do we do now?

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 05:37 AM • permalink

142. #140 Yes. I have. And CL site if you watch your language. Or http://tizona.wordpress.com/
    if you need to say the words sometimes.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 05:57 AM • permalink

143. Did you guys know that the Saudis own 7% of News Corp.

Posted by monaro on 2008 05 12 at 06:06 AM • permalink

144. Will someone turn out the lights at that other Tim Blair Blog?

There’s noone home.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:06 AM • permalink

145. Goodbye /ee/index.php
    Hello http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/
    Now git over there everyone!

Posted by American Interests on 2008 05 12 at 06:10 AM • permalink

Why?
    There’s nothing going on there.
    And when there is, it’s too slow.

It’s too slow.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:12 AM • permalink

147. And polite. Boringly polite. That may change, but I doubt it.
    Someone has already posted the link to Tizona; I’d also like to post the link to my journal at RedBubble.
    I don’t post every day, and most of what I do post is links to the crazy stuff I find wandering around the internet. But now and then I surprise even myself.
    You’ll have to join to comment. And maybe filch the occasional crayon scrawl from the kids, just to maintain some artistic cred.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 12 at 06:25 AM • permalink

148. Kae

You need a sound a refreshing flogging. I’ll send Habib ‘round with the whip.. hang on…

Pickles? I knew that you liked to see the blood flow, but what’s with the leather gimp outfit? And what is that ferret for??

Anyhoo, I suggest that we all hang out round Andrea’s place, and annoy lefties at Tim’s new digs.

And yes, it IS bloody slow.

But I ain’t giving up. Adapt, adapt, and kick ‘em in the nuts when you do!

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 12 at 06:28 AM • permalink

149. Now I know what the psychiatric patients felt like when the powers that be in Australia implemented their policy of deinstitutionalisation.

Posted by monaro on 2008 05 12 at 06:29 AM • permalink

150. Bugger, sad to see this end, still a good run while it lasted. Still things could be worse.
    And why dont the papers institute 2 stage registration, say after a certain number of moderated comments you dont have to be moderated any more?

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 12 at 06:30 AM • permalink

151. #148 Kae,

looks like the bus took all the window lickers home for the night.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 06:31 AM • permalink

152. 151

Free. I’m free!  FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

er.

I don’t like it.

Lock me up again, please…

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:33 AM • permalink

Oh Pogs, that’s chuckleriffic!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:35 AM • permalink

154. It looks like Andrea’s tell-all expose of the ‘Blair years’ has begun.

Posted by AlphaMikeFoxtrot on 2008 05 12 at 06:39 AM • permalink

155. no. no, no, no, no, no.

Posted by ultra_violet on 2008 05 12 at 06:48 AM • permalink

156. I’m with MarkL. Adapt and give it a go.

The fact is that Tim has worked his arse/ass off on this blog for years. Even with a discreet blogads ad and a paypal donation bucket, it can’t have paid very well, but the cost would have been substantial, for server and administration time, as well as in the thousands of hours Tim put into the blog.

The reward has been huge audience numbers, notoriety, and the blossoming of a vibrant online community. However there’s only so long you can give that much energy to something every day. For whatever reason (the reasons are pretty easy to guess and entirely understandable), he’s moved.

Considering that we’ve all been dining at his expense, so to speak, we owe it to him to give this new blog of his a chance. Even if it’s fucking moderated.

I’m not happy about it either. It will probably mean that the online community that has developed at this blog won’t continue in its present format. But it will in part at the new Blair as well as at other places like Tizona, currency lad, Andrea’s place, Crittenden, etc. I owe this blog - and therefore Tim- a lot, so I’m over there and I am going to do my bit to make it work.

Readership and comments are the lifeblood of a blog. Don’t fuck off on him now.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 06:59 AM • permalink

157. #119 daddy dave - count me in.  Just keep me posted on the details.

Posted by Irobot on 2008 05 12 at 07:13 AM • permalink

158. #135. Blasphemy! Blasphemy!

Posted by Chris Chittleborough on 2008 05 12 at 07:15 AM • permalink

159. #158- Agree entirely, but I’m also a lazy and intoleratn arsehole and can’t be bothered with too much fucking around; like Boltas, I visit occasionally and comment even less because it’s too much like work which I can get paid a wedge for. My profession is having to fuck with a cumbersome, unfriendly and clunky system which is slow in response, loses data and generally gives me the shits more than a bucket of Cambodian KFC- why would I want to engage in same for relaxation? I’ll pop by but won’t hang around, and I’m realtively certain the comments threads will follow the lead set by the HUN with the usual suspects turning up and hurling their own poop around while shreiking like gibbons. If I want that I can watch question time.

Sometimes capitalism can be a real colonic spasm, but let’s face it a free blog is possibly socialism at its worst, and what a sense of entitlement it engenders.

Must admit I’ll miss late night drunken mulling and vitriolic evisceration over the perfidy and moral turpitude of venal politicians and lawyers, the idiocy of hippy leftism and social engineering, the pathos of pacifism and cowardice of the chattering classes, the awful monoculture of public broadcasting, the simpering sublimation of Islam into a viral, violent stream of that duffy cult, the shameless self-interest of rent-seekers of all kinds, and why nature really is a colossal fucking pain in the arse.

In the words of the Pig of Steel, "Life’s Shithouse, But at Least it’s Short".

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 07:21 AM • permalink

160. daddy dave
    I haven’t fucked off on Tim. Just to make sure I make that clear.
    The problem with the new site is the implications of moderation, not that we’ll get snipped, we’ve been pretty reasonable with self moderation, it’s just that the whole idea of a blog like Tim’s is an exchange of ideas. It has to be spontaneous or it’s just like any other notice board.
    It’s boring because it’s slow.
    There’s no email alert.
    Bolta’s site is a nightmare and this new site is set out the same. I’m not too concerned about the moonbats, it’s the time it takes to moderate things.
    I don’t go to many moderated blogs because I don’t want to waste my time waiting for something to appear.
    At least with instant comments you knew when the crowd was around and wanted to talk and you could have a discussion, joke, tell a tale, etc.
    That’s my beef, Chief.

#160 Doan go gettin’ the Chits with me, man! What I’m sayin’ is true.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:21 AM • permalink

161. Kae, the other part of it was that if we weren’t sure of something, we could ask and get serious, well informed answers, and if one of us said something stupid or incorrect, we could talk about it.

On a News Ltd site, it’s just not going to happen.

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 05 12 at 07:23 AM • permalink

Know exactly how you feel.
    And I work with academics.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:27 AM • permalink

163. Oh, and holy shit, that’s the third time in as many days that someone’s mentioned to me about Captain Goodvibes!!

I used to read Tracks.

I must have been a frustrated, land-locked surfie!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:28 AM • permalink

164. Kae

Habib has found the Captain Goodvibes site.

Habib

Now where is Hot to Trot?  You’re a legend if you can point me to it.

Posted by Stevo on 2008 05 12 at 07:32 AM • permalink

165. Hey, I read Captain Goodvibes too. Never picked up a surfboard, but I loved the Cap.
    And the Cap would have loved this.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 12 at 07:34 AM • permalink

166. Yes, Stevo, amazing coincidence!
    Hmm. Bandaid on cut on little left finger. Things might be a little dicey in the typing dept. for a while…

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:34 AM • permalink

167. Stevo, you’re gonna be in so much trouble from And.... An..

BoohoooooO!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:35 AM • permalink

168. And you spilt the bolds!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:36 AM • permalink

169. Kae, we’re both broke this week, how many marbles do I owe you?

Posted by Stevo on 2008 05 12 at 07:39 AM • permalink

170. Whew.
    Disaster averted.

Too late.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:39 AM • permalink

171. This joint died in the arse fast didn’t it!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:39 AM • permalink

Make poverty history.

You can buy me a drink when I’m down south next. And we’ll call it square.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:41 AM • permalink

173. Kae ... about 12 posts is the last 10 minutes from your #173 post ... going well ...

Posted by Stevo on 2008 05 12 at 07:43 AM • permalink

174. Oops ...

Posted by Stevo on 2008 05 12 at 07:44 AM • permalink

175. What number am I?

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 07:46 AM • permalink

176. This joint died in the arse fast didn’t it!
    not yet, but it will. we’re on borrowed time.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 07:48 AM • permalink

177. Brekkie Creek Thur 22 May.
    email me
    I know a few people can only make it on the Thursday, so it may have to be Thursday…

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:51 AM • permalink

178. AIMS NOT AGREED
    NYT has a bipolar disorder about schizophrenia.
    Submitted now await moderation.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 07:52 AM • permalink

179. Can’t gemme no ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 08:08 AM • permalink

180. Nothing good ever happens on a bloody Monday.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 12 at 08:18 AM • permalink

181. Damn. I was 260 comments short of 5000.

Well, 259 now.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 08:18 AM • permalink

182. ’ken oath, Habib!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 08:19 AM • permalink

183. Apologies for the brevity of my previous farewell. I was at work.
    I will indeed miss all the characters here. Andrea. What can one say? I love her. I would be happy to migrate to Florida, at least in blogsheep form, but must be able to join without undue pain. Thanks to her oversighting this has been a well managed forum which remained fun, not bogged down in PC crap. Tim deserves whatever good fortune he can wring from the elephantine empire. Our dismay about his cancer, then relief at his recovery from that life-threatening condition were mere foreshocks - this is the quake.
    We ants must do what we can.
    I like the idea that Paco also have his own place for his regular injections of acerbic and inventive writing, just as I love Iowahawk’s workshop.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 08:23 AM • permalink

184. Habib (#161)

Go hang at Andreas. I am. Hopefully we can keep this community going over there.

Yeah, I’m a bit pissed about this too. In Brissie again later in the year. We’ll share a snootful, with luck

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 12 at 08:25 AM • permalink

185. Bikkies ... have a beer off the wood next time for Welsh mate Keith.  I still miss his stories.  He had some great ones, even some of you Paul.  Never mentioned that to you, I’m a gentleman.  Ha!

Posted by Stevo on 2008 05 12 at 08:26 AM • permalink

That’ll be fun, see ya there, MarkL.

Without membership and bios we can’t do this on the new blog.
    I wonder if the new blog will be adapted to Tim’s specifications?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 08:27 AM • permalink

187. Check youse in the morning.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 08:28 AM • permalink

188. The Telegraph site’s like Working in a Coalmine ...

It’s a wonder the Lefty sites aren’t jumping for joy ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 08:31 AM • permalink

189. #133 Pogs

Yeah, you have a good point, but you CAN attach things directly to their comment and rape ‘em that way. Thats.... second-class but mebbe not too bad.

What’s really bad is that they can pretend to be you!

I’m still up for smacking those clowns ‘round the bonce with a lump of four by two.

Bugger it, it’s late and I gotta get up in 6 hours.

‘nite

markL
    canberra

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 12 at 08:32 AM • permalink

190. #69 - Pogria - thanks for that. Love you too.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 08:33 AM • permalink

191. Thanks Andrea!

Posted by stahlblume on 2008 05 12 at 08:47 AM • permalink

192. Andrea: I’ve tried to register at your blog, but I never got an e:mail notification with a password.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 12 at 09:38 AM • permalink

193. Thank you everybody, especially Tim B. and Andrea. It’s been fun. Bye all.

Posted by flying pigs over mecca on 2008 05 12 at 09:49 AM • permalink

194. #195 hey fpom,

you made the tonne!!!!

Don’t leave us, register at Andrea’s and drop in for a drink and a chat. There’s a lot of us there.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 12 at 09:54 AM • permalink

195. I am dismayed by Tim’s news and will miss terribly the freewheeling and hilarious commentary at this site. However, I do agree with blogstrop at #185—Tim’s been through a lot and I don’t begrudge him doing what probably makes sense professionally and personally.  It won’t be the same, but I’m glad that I’ll still be able to read Tim and this site’s commenters elsewhere.  Thanks Tim and thanks also to Andrea for a great job!

Posted by Polish Frizzle on 2008 05 12 at 09:59 AM • permalink

196. http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/
    New posts up. Good night.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 10:01 AM • permalink

197. If this is to be our end, then let us make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance!

Er, I don’t really have any ideas how to do that, I just thought it was a fitting line. Anyway, it’s been my honour to be able to contribute (however meagrely) to the best...blog...ever.

I for one will keep checking in to see how Infidel Tiger’s Japanese-soldier-on-the-island strategy works out.

Posted by Don Charleone on 2008 05 12 at 10:09 AM • permalink

198. #194 paco

Check your spam filter. Yahoo’s zapped the Wordpress notification email for me (I found it in the “bulk” folder).

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 10:12 AM • permalink

199. #183 Dave S.

Damn. I was 260 comments short of 5000.

Well, 259 now.

I just passed 3000 myself. I didn’t realize I was quite that close.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 10:16 AM • permalink

200. So what the fuck does Andrea have against the fine Scottish restaurant?

Posted by Badass Cinema on 2008 05 12 at 10:29 AM • permalink

201. About the only “good” thing I’ve noticed about the new site is that the moderators won’t reject ridiculous locations in the “Suburb” entry.

(No, I’m not really in the Lesser Magellenic Cloud.)

Posted by Patrick Chester on 2008 05 12 at 11:39 AM • permalink

202. Just wanted to send a great thank you to Andrea who has done a great job at keeping the system running and delousing the comments!

Posted by jorgen on 2008 05 12 at 11:42 AM • permalink

203. #200: Thanks, Spines.

BTW, if Carpefraise is still tuned in, I tried to respond to an e:mail you sent me but it bounced back.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 12 at 01:20 PM • permalink

204. #203 Patrick Chester

It’s good to see a little of the timblair.net whimsy can transfer over.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2008 05 12 at 03:07 PM • permalink

205. Thanks for everything Andrea

Enjoy the warm weather

Posted by PeterTB on 2008 05 12 at 05:42 PM • permalink

206. Rhea: Mother of the God Zeus
    Pander: Someone who encourages or exploits the weaknesses or vices of others [Longmans]

EPITAPH

We once had a mistress called Andrea,
    Who instantly dealt trolls her hand..
    Rear-ended, red-faced,
    They departed disgraced,
    So we all learnt to pander to Rhea.

Posted by Barrie on 2008 05 12 at 06:03 PM • permalink

207. At http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/posts_budgeted/

"I’m in Canberra all day for the federal budget. Posts may - may - commence after 7.30pm. Drinking certainly will. Speaking of which, any budget speech drinking games involving mentions of “working families” may be doomed to sobriety, since treasurer Wayne Swan allegedly isn’t a big fan of Kevin Rudd’s favourite family phrase.”

Now we know why he’s moved. He needed the money for “Drinking certainly will.”
    Oh well, only young once.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 12 at 09:45 PM • permalink

208. stacks, you murdered the link.

strewth.

Has Andrea left the building yet?

Maybe she’s even got a life....

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!!!1!!!11!!!!!
    Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 09:50 PM • permalink

209. I still don’t know Miranda’s real identity.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 01:40 AM • permalink

210. Won’t that make a plaintive final post.
    Oh, er, crap…

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 01:42 AM • permalink

211. #211 Who cares. Really.
    Some self-important twat decided to become a self-important troll. This blogsheep won’t lose any sleep over it.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 13 at 02:56 AM • permalink

unmurdered the link

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 13 at 08:16 AM • permalink

213. Note to self

"Large unformatted urls that break the page design will be deleted."

First F at New Blair
    Aren’t most of us from working families.  Or is it “Working” families.
    What the fuck. I work and have a family.  I hate being patronised. Stevo of The Shire (Reply)Tue 13 May 08 (10:00pm)

Who won the bet?

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 13 at 08:30 AM • permalink

No, stacks, it broke the page. See how it goes over the edge?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 09:04 AM • permalink

215. I always wondered about a place that would allow me to be a member even for a short while.

Sure enough.  Shutting down.

Pity.

Posted by Jon J on 2008 05 13 at 03:39 PM • permalink

216. #217 Jon J,

It’s a bit like Grouch Marx’s famous line,

“I wouldn’t want to join a club that would have me as a member!”

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 05:53 PM • permalink

217. I noticed the f-word’s appearance over there too. I’m sorry now that I didn’t mention the “Nurses Vs Stewardesses All-In Nude Mud Wrestling Championships.”

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 06:15 PM • permalink

218. Message for all readers west of the Nullarbor: Ubique has proposed a meeting on Thursday 22 May somewhere in Perth to celebrate and commiserate the closing. The suggested meeting time is 7pm, suggested venues are
    The Queens Hotel; or
    The Left Bank, or
    Little Creatures loft; or
    The Norfolk; or
    The Captain Stirling; or
    The Brass Monkey.
    Email me through the link on my data page here. And pass the word.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 06:45 PM • permalink

219. Who’s up for a group blog?

Let’s shoot Andrea a line about it.

We have some might fine contributors here who can snark with the best of them and it would be a shame if it didn’t continue for a while longer.

The party doesn’t have to end we just need to find new digs.

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2008 05 13 at 06:49 PM • permalink

220. Commisseratory bevvies, as Habib would say
    Brekkie Creek
    Thu 22/5
    after 4:30pm
    email me

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 06:57 PM • permalink

221. #119 daddy dave Anything going for Sydney?  I’d come which would be a first for me. Just let me know please.

Any venue would be fine for me.

Posted by Wand on 2008 05 13 at 07:08 PM • permalink

222. 221 - joe, have you been here yet?

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 07:09 PM • permalink

223. joe have you been to Andrea’s?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 07:11 PM • permalink

224. #216 mea maxima culpa which translates into my most grievous fault.
    Only excuse I rushed it. Must never do that again. [slap wrist]
    The #214 link should work.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 13 at 11:01 PM • permalink

225. Well done! My Wendy Deng full page spread proudly sits beside my computer.

Posted by gin&tonic on 2008 05 13 at 11:58 PM • permalink

226. I feel so thrillingly naughty: Der Moderators allowed me to say “testicles.”

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2008 05 14 at 07:00 PM • permalink

227. Can’t see myself posting very often on the new site.  Not that I really ever was a frequent poster.  My posting usually had a direct correlation to my BAC.

However I add my thanks to the mighty Andrea and hope that maybe someday when Tim gets promoted high enough he will return to private blogging.  We will be waiting.

And as a postscript can I thank all of you who have made reading this blog and its predecessors so enjoyable.

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 04:52 AM • permalink

228. Typical. A day late and a dollar short.

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 05:20 AM • permalink

229. If any WA contributors read this:
    There is a plan afoot for drinks at a venue in Perth on May 22. I have emailed some of you, others I may have missed. You can contact me through the Members email for more details.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 15 at 07:50 AM • permalink