<< FIRST DIEBOLD FAILS TO DELIVER, NOW THIS ~ MAIN ~ SWEET NUMBERS >>

PEOPLE TOO DUMB FOR DEMOCRACY

An Age reader delivers his verdict on democracy:

Rumsfeld should never have been there in the first place. Bush should never have been there in the first place (he cheated his way in the first time, then a majority of US voters were stupid enough to re-elect an idiot (and even worse, a criminal idiot). People are mostly too dumb for democracy (just look at Australia’s ‘Prime Minister’).

Wow. Imagine how upset he’d be if the Democrats had lost. Speaking of democracy, Queensland voters may next year have the chance to vote for conservative Israeli-born Presbyterian lawyer Hajnal Ban:
image
This site formally withdraws any previous criticism of Presbyterians.

(Via Bernie Slattery)

Posted by Tim B. on 11/09/2006 at 12:44 PM
  1. One might say that everyone who thinks people are too dumb for democracy is proving his own point, though that’s obviously not the implication that such intellectual giants are going for.

Posted by PW on 2006 11 09 at 01:02 PM • permalink

2. “People are mostly too dumb for democracy”

If the person who wrote the above is allowed to vote, I’d say his theory is validated.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 01:02 PM • permalink

3. “Hajnal Ban”

Btw, how does one join the Presbyterians?

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 01:07 PM • permalink

4. Slightly O/T, speaking of intellectual giants, here’s another comment from that Age thread:

Yes! will it be Goodbye Howard, goodbye Downer, in 2008 state election!..

The punctuation gives it away, too, of course.

Posted by PW on 2006 11 09 at 01:07 PM • permalink

5. Why are Conservatives so much better looking then Lefties? Lefty women always look like they’ve been sucking on a lemon.

Posted by swassociates on 2006 11 09 at 01:09 PM • permalink

6. “Lefty women always look like they’ve been sucking on a lemon.”

Literally true, in the case of Monica Lewinsky.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 01:17 PM • permalink

7. Quick y’all!!
    Start up the petition to have it made law that political debates are to be “clothing optional”. The option to be decided by the viewing audience, not the politico (to keep the fat ugly ones properly under wraps, of course).

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 01:41 PM • permalink

8. Hey murph, those gals can’t hold a candle to Susan Estrich:

Susan’s the one on the left.

Posted by Sonetka's Mom on 2006 11 09 at 01:54 PM • permalink

9. Seriously, lefties are “feminists” and believe it is wrong to look pretty, that is sexist.

BTW I want to marry her.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2006 11 09 at 02:01 PM • permalink

10. Twenty minutes ago I couldn’t even spell Presbyterian. Now, I think, I am one. When’s services?

Posted by lumberjack on 2006 11 09 at 02:01 PM • permalink

11. Wa-wa-wee-wa! Very niiice. [pause] She is from which country?

Posted by Jim Treacher on 2006 11 09 at 02:04 PM • permalink

12. She doesn’t look Jewish.

Posted by rhhardin on 2006 11 09 at 02:14 PM • permalink

13. Um…should she not gain office in Oz, might I suggest trying for State’s Attorney of my humble County in Illinois?  Please?

Posted by Major John on 2006 11 09 at 02:18 PM • permalink

14. OK, rhhardin, the blonde hair is a little unexpected, but otherwise I think she’d fit right in with the IDF gals:

Posted by Sonetka's Mom on 2006 11 09 at 02:21 PM • permalink

15. Oh yeah, I’d vote that.

I’d vote that hard.

Posted by iowahawk on 2006 11 09 at 02:23 PM • permalink

16. Where is Queensland and when can I move there?

Posted by the wolf on 2006 11 09 at 02:29 PM • permalink

17. Honestly, guys, pick up your tongues and show some class.  After all, our betters have spoken.  She’s blond, attractive, and conservative, so she’s obviously too dumb for democracy.  She’s also Israeli-born, which makes her a baby-eating monster, and she’s Presbyterian, which makes her conflicted.

Hm.  I’d vote for her in a heartbeat, were I able.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2006 11 09 at 02:29 PM • permalink

18. “Seriously, lefties are “feminists” and believe it is wrong to look pretty”

You wanna talk ugly leftards?

All I can say is Helen Thomas.

Sorry, I’m not going to provide a link.

I do have some standards.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 02:31 PM • permalink

19. Wait, I thought all non-Jews were routinely being exterminated in the Zionist entity? What gives?

Posted by PW on 2006 11 09 at 02:42 PM • permalink

20. There ain’t no justice…

Queensland has Hajnal Ban, we have Dianne Feinstein.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 02:43 PM • permalink

21. People are mostly too dumb for democracy (just look at Australia’s ‘Prime Minister’).

Well the Democrats were complaining in 2000 and 2004 that their own supporters were too stupid to complete a ballot without inadvertently voting for Pat Buchanon. obviously that isn’t how they phrased it.

Posted by Ross on 2006 11 09 at 02:44 PM • permalink

22. Yum, yum.
    Ah, um, shoot, I forgot what I was thinking about.

cold shower
    that’s better.
    Leftists don’t want democracy, there’s the chance they’d lose power.  Thus, when they lose an election they scream “fraud” in an attempt to make people lose faith in the democratic process in order to put the left in permanently.

Posted by rbj1 on 2006 11 09 at 02:47 PM • permalink

23. She’s so hot, even the women want her… as a candidate, I mean.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 02:51 PM • permalink

24. Wow!, Hajnal Ban.

I feel a Jihad starting in my pants.

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2006 11 09 at 02:58 PM • permalink

25. When you’re talking “hot conservative chick”, my argument starts and ends with Laura Ingraham. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm…

Unfortunately, I highly suspect she only bats for the home team. Of course, that opens up all kinds of other possibilities for deep rumination…

Posted by Dave S. on 2006 11 09 at 03:00 PM • permalink

26. We’d better stop before kilo scolds us.

Posted by Dave S. on 2006 11 09 at 03:01 PM • permalink

27. #26, Dave S.:

You suggesting a Ban on Ingraham type deal? That’s high dollar Pay Per View concept, if you ask me.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 03:05 PM • permalink

28. Julie Bishop for PM !

Posted by JAFA on 2006 11 09 at 03:11 PM • permalink

29. You wanna talk ugly leftards?

All I can say is Helen Thomas.

I once made a similar observation on my long-neglected blog. In response, I began to get abusive emails from an “anti-Zionist”. Among the abuse were pictures of Bela Abzug.

No, I don’t understand it, either.

Posted by Rob Crawford on 2006 11 09 at 03:11 PM • permalink

30. Bela-nice hats.

Posted by yojimbo on 2006 11 09 at 03:29 PM • permalink

31. As a constituent I have a number of concerns that I wish to express. So if I could have your phone number…....?

Posted by Merlin on 2006 11 09 at 03:32 PM • permalink

32. Well, yeah, they do look like that.  Like I’ve said, my wife and mother-in-law joined the Presbyterian Church about 10 years ago.  I think their criteria were any Protestant church with a pretty building and a summer festival with a silent auction of gift baskets.  Salvation probably fits in there somewhere, but you never know.

Yes, I noticed right off that the ladies look very nice.  But that’s just their outside appearance.  They’ve evil inside through and through.  I give you my mother-in-law as a good example.

Posted by wronwright on 2006 11 09 at 03:43 PM • permalink

33. As the sites local resident Prebyterian (who seems to miss all the Presbyterian terrorist memos - obviously they don’t trust me yet…) I think you should all wait your turn :P

Young, blond, Israeli, Conservative and a Presbyterian - sounds like my dream date.  (We’ll forgive her being a lawyer and a Queenslander though, the rest more than makes up for that.)

Seriously, anyway (short of moving to Queensland) that we could support her?

Posted by corvus on 2006 11 09 at 03:49 PM • permalink

34. I also have some important questions for the candidate.

What is you stance on alternative energy tax credits? What other types of stances do you enjoy?

Are you committed to maintaining good Australian-American relations? Please demonstrate.

Can you please describe, in detail, all the articles of clothing you are currently wearing? Be comprehensive.

Posted by iowahawk on 2006 11 09 at 04:14 PM • permalink

35. I would like to suggest her first legislative act: a comprehensive Ban on Me.

Posted by iowahawk on 2006 11 09 at 04:17 PM • permalink

36. #36 - outstanding. That’s update-worthy.

Posted by Dave S. on 2006 11 09 at 04:24 PM • permalink

37. “I began to get abusive emails from an “anti-Zionist”. Among the abuse were pictures of Bela Abzug…”

I’d sue if I was you.

Posted by Dave Surls on 2006 11 09 at 04:33 PM • permalink

38. If she doesn’t make it in Queensland she can always run for the Mayor of Bountiful Utah.  Just sayin’.

Posted by yojimbo on 2006 11 09 at 04:38 PM • permalink

39. There’s just no place like Tim’s place for serious political commentary.

Posted by saltydog on 2006 11 09 at 04:43 PM • permalink

40. I will limit myself to a tasteful “Wow!”

Posted by paco on 2006 11 09 at 04:44 PM • permalink

41. Hubba Hubba.

Posted by MannyC on 2006 11 09 at 04:45 PM • permalink

42. Hold on guys!  Granted, she’s a honey.  But, I don’t know anything about the Aussie Presbyterian church but the American Presbyterian church is about as moonbatty as they come.  Years ago in Madison, WI, at an upper middle class Presbyterian church during Christmas Eve services I perused some official church literature about the Middle East.  What I read was straight out of the PLO’s talking points.  I could not believe what I was reading and it’s worst now.

BTW: Why is her church affiliation relevant?

Posted by Mark Razak on 2006 11 09 at 05:01 PM • permalink

43. #43, Mark Razak:

Yeah but she’s got those big, round, soft, perky….eyes.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 05:09 PM • permalink

44. I’ve never seen iowahawk puff and pant so much at something with less than 8 cylinders.

Posted by Henry boy on 2006 11 09 at 05:26 PM • permalink

45. It’s pretty hard to argue with The Age reader:
    People are mostly too dumb for democracy
    People just put the Democrats in. I’d say the moonbat has an open and shut case.

Posted by Bonmot on 2006 11 09 at 05:28 PM • permalink

46. I’d have to take a look at her policies first, both of them.

Posted by Dminor on 2006 11 09 at 05:29 PM • permalink

47. #45, Smithovitch:

It’s probably the headlights. Motorheads often have high regard for well made headlights.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 05:29 PM • permalink

48. I might even move up to Queensland just so I CAN vote this delicious babe[/strike clever woman.

You canetoads are a lucky lot….

Posted by Bonmot on 2006 11 09 at 05:32 PM • permalink

49. You’re in big trouble, Bonmot, but from me - thanks! Never saw strike out all over my screen before.

Posted by Dminor on 2006 11 09 at 05:35 PM • permalink

50. Wow, cool. Following the lines of strikeout, I finally found the FAQ link :)

Who’s bright idea was it to put the instruction guide right above the relevant area?

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 05:43 PM • permalink

51. END it

Thankyouverymuch.

I’m in the mood for a Ban roll-on.

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2006 11 09 at 05:56 PM • permalink

52. </strikeout></strike>[/strikeout]

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2006 11 09 at 05:57 PM • permalink

53. I would move across the country to her electorate just so I could vote for her. Why are conservatives so good looking while Margo Kingston sums up the others?

Posted by Phatso Phil on 2006 11 09 at 06:16 PM • permalink

54. Even the tags went crazy lookin’ at her…

Posted by Bonmot on 2006 11 09 at 06:18 PM • permalink

55. #43.  The American Pressies have a number of factions, the most well know of them being the rabidly moonbat Presbyterian Chruch (USA).  The second largest faction, the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) is more conservative with some elements in it identified with the Religious Right.  A third faction, the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) is even more conservative, having split from the PCUSA back in the ‘30s over the PCUSA’s modernist theology (which just shows how long the moonbats have been running the PCUSA.)  The OPC and PCA almost merged back in the 70’s.

Australian Pressies are more like the PCA than the PCUSA.

The PCUSA gives Pressies a bad name, which is sad given the numbers of noteable people they have provided; 9 US Presidents were Pressies at one stage for example.

Posted by corvus on 2006 11 09 at 06:22 PM • permalink

56. Here’s an old Queensland folk song (about 15 hours old) penned in honour of those who Hajnal Ban is up against.

The Ballad of The Lost Leftie

[Sung to the tune of “Moreton Bay”]

One Sunday morning as I went walking
    By Brisbane waters my spirits sank
    I heard another old leftie his courage failing
    As on the sunny river bank he wank
    I am a veteran of Vietnam marches and mangro marshes
    But left without a half decent cause
    The bloody Soviet Union and Mao’s Red Book minions
    Gone forever now,  they slammed the damn doors.

I’ve shouted loud for PLO victory
    For Saddam and the Viet Cong
    Any tyranny that attacks my country is good enough for me
    And lately as you can hear I sing loud Hezbollah’s song
    For of all places of condemnation
    Of Western nations one never fails
    To goddamn Israel I have found no equal
    Frig that democracy and frig those friggin’ Jews.

For three long years I’ve rooted for the “resistance”
    In Iraq, I love them guys
    But I’ve done my best to keep my distance
    When they push the belt button and the bloody flesh flies
    For many a man from downright hesitation
    Lies mouldering now underneath the clay
    By now you must know I’m a member of the Vic SL
    So kiss my arse by the end of the day.

Like the Egyptians and them fuckin’ Hebrews
    We are oppressed under the Yankee yoke
    Till an Islamist fascist lying there in ambush
    Do deal these Yanks their mortal stroke
    My fellow lefties be exhilarated
    That all such democracies such a death may find
    And when from bondage we are liberated
    My new Dhimmi status will rule my mind.

Posted by geoff on 2006 11 09 at 06:42 PM • permalink

I dunno, Sonetka’s Mom, they look like they’re spraying saying the same thing.

Posted by kae on 2006 11 09 at 06:52 PM • permalink

58. PEOPLE TOO DUMB FOR DEMOCRACY

Actually, there’s quite a bit of truth in that, and not just truthiness, either.

Our founding fathers were pretty dang well educated in the “old school” classics and well understood the abysmal depths to which a “democracy” such as Athens produced was able to plummet.

That’s why they chose the self canceling and power hampering set up of competing “houses” for our gov, based more on the spartan system of duel kings and a body of peers.

The rest was based on a modified Roman republic ideal where we choose temporary leaders to represent local concerns at the upper levels.

The “democracy” line was popularized by the quasi communist left during the “new deal” era.

Before that, we, as a nation, tended to refer to ourselves as a representative republic.

At least, that’s my understanding of the thing.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 07:01 PM • permalink

59. #43 Mark

BTW: Why is her church affiliation relevant?

A running gag about presbyterians - but I guess you had to be here. (And perhaps her name and that she is an Israeli.) (And a babe, but that’s irrelevant, too…)
    You haven’t been visiting this blog regularly have you?

Posted by kae on 2006 11 09 at 07:14 PM • permalink

60. #60, kae:

And you forgot reason #1. If any of us guys are ever in the area we want to have some clue where she might hang out at.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 09 at 07:18 PM • permalink

61. Aw, getaway, Grimmy.
    Who’d wanna meet that gorgeous babe?

Posted by kae on 2006 11 09 at 07:41 PM • permalink

62. Who’d What guy would

Posted by kae on 2006 11 09 at 07:42 PM • permalink

63. #43 Hold on guys!  Granted, she’s a honey.  But, I don’t know anything about the Aussie Presbyterian church but the American Presbyterian church is about as moonbatty as they come.

Relax Mark, the only Presbyterian Church here now is the evangelical orthodox rumpy one that REFUSED to join the failing Moonbat United One in 1975.
    They still DO believe something about real Christianity.

Posted by Barrie on 2006 11 09 at 07:42 PM • permalink

64. I think Milton Friedman wrote that freedom should be restricted to those who can exercise restraint and responsibility. Should political freedom have the same duties?

Posted by Ian Deans on 2006 11 09 at 08:21 PM • permalink

65. To those claiming Julie Bishop as a MILF. I am afraid that technically she is only able to hold the title of ILF.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 11 09 at 08:46 PM • permalink

66. Ms. Ban should be aware that politics is a rough and tumble game. There will be times when she’ll be tripped up and knocked over. However, she looks the type to bounce straight back up.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 11 09 at 08:49 PM • permalink

67. Oh look, it’s the salivating retards show.

Posted by Miranda Divide on 2006 11 09 at 08:57 PM • permalink

68. #68 No Miranda, that’s a mirror.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 11 09 at 08:57 PM • permalink

69. Israeli-born, Queensland-bred with an eye on Canberra

Her eyes may be on Canberra, I damn sure know where my eyes are.

Jesus, what a hot babe.

Posted by El Cid on 2006 11 09 at 08:59 PM • permalink

70. It gives me faith in conservative politics - if she was a leftie and the Dems had lost the mid terms the discussion would be about how to get Hajnal on the legal team to sue for electoral fraud. As crass and disturbing as these comments are (except for the ‘Julie Bishop for PM’) I applaud the sentiment.

Posted by Justin on 2006 11 09 at 09:07 PM • permalink

71. 68

Gotta’ link for that?

one that works?

Posted by El Cid on 2006 11 09 at 09:09 PM • permalink

72. #68: Starring Miranda Divide, in his first ever non-openly-pro-Islamofascist comment!

Posted by paco on 2006 11 09 at 09:32 PM • permalink

73. I’m going to have to start a blog just to post extracts from a mailing I received today from a Democrat who DID lose this time around.

let’s just say the bi-partisanship has sailed…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 11 09 at 09:37 PM • permalink

74. #74 - bi-partisanship: The only ship designed to sink.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2006 11 09 at 09:45 PM • permalink

75. It’s nice to know that Miranda’s fond of retards, though.

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 11 09 at 10:21 PM • permalink

76. Damn, I’d convert to her religion if I could spell it.

Posted by rinardman on 2006 11 09 at 10:24 PM • permalink

77. One only sees women who look like this teary-eyed in sashes.

I reckon this is actually Ariel Sharon. Clever Mossad.

Posted by Inurbanus on 2006 11 09 at 10:36 PM • permalink

78. Amanda Vanstone finally has some really fashion lov’n competition, she looked sensational yesterday, wearing a sage green polyester shirt with pearl necklace and the Hot Pink Lippy. In fact, her favourite song as she replied to the speaker yesterday, was Paul Simon’s 50 ways to leave your lover!

Posted by 1.618 on 2006 11 09 at 10:37 PM • permalink

79. El Cid

Miranda didn’t stick around long enough but I think she was referring to;

DNC.ORG

I don’t linky but I’m sure it works.  Glad I could help her out.

Posted by yojimbo on 2006 11 09 at 10:58 PM • permalink

80. yojimbo

Glad I could help her out.

You’re a damn good man, yojimbo…lol.

Posted by El Cid on 2006 11 09 at 11:03 PM • permalink

81. Well, you know, I’m just one of those bi-partisan type of guys.

Posted by yojimbo on 2006 11 09 at 11:07 PM • permalink

82. #43 and #64 Aussie Presbyterians take their religion seriously, and therefore have not had to delve into ‘social justice and marxism as a better source of salvation that Christ’ policies.  Those that were so inclined in an ecumencial moment joined a bunch of other proestant churches into forming the United Church.  The moment passed, of course, and now hardly anyone attends the sunday service at the uniting church but the reverend herself and old Aunt May who is deaf anyway and can’t hear the crap spewed from the pulpit.  The Presbyterian church is growing, and a huge church has just been built down the road from me.  If Hajnal regularly goes there I might drop in to say “How YOU doin!”

Speaking of Hajnal, the fact that she is standing for preselection for the QNP is a bit of a worry.  These bastards are agrarian socialists. The electorate is currently held by the Libs (Kay Ellison) so depending on preferences Hajnal is not likely to be elected.  On the other hand, if the libs put up someone as attractive as say, Peter Reith, who knows?

Posted by entropy on 2006 11 09 at 11:08 PM • permalink

83. #8, #66, Does that mean my MP is the best looking one in the country at the moment?

Congrats Julie.

Posted by The_Wizard_of_WOZ on 2006 11 09 at 11:13 PM • permalink

84. Not too much bi-partisan goin’ on at the cricket thread however!

Holy bat guano batman.  Boots on the ground!  This could be an interesting two months!

Posted by yojimbo on 2006 11 09 at 11:14 PM • permalink

85. #8 Your theory surely comes unstuck with Bronwyn Bishop. She is a woman, right?

I’m surprised no-one has included Jackie Kelly. A stand-out surely.

Posted by SingleMalt on 2006 11 10 at 12:42 AM • permalink

86. As for people being too dumb for democracy… well, they were smart enough not to elect Mark Latham as PM.

Posted by SingleMalt on 2006 11 10 at 12:44 AM • permalink

87. If you screw up three strikeouts in a row on the cricket threads, will Tim give you a (transported for?) life sentence?

Posted by andycanuck on 2006 11 10 at 12:49 AM • permalink

88. I will release the bees.

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 11 10 at 12:59 AM • permalink

89. #88 & #89: She ain’t kiddin’, Andy.

Posted by paco on 2006 11 10 at 01:17 AM • permalink

90. She’s the same age as me, and we both have a hebrew grandfather…

Seriously, this is like, fate.. or something…

Posted by ekb87 on 2006 11 10 at 03:55 AM • permalink

91. She’s gorgeous, but WHY OH WHY would she join the National Party? They’re beyond the pale.

Seriously, the Nats are arguably the most successful porkbarrelers of any federal democracy. Very bad choice.

Posted by James Waterton on 2006 11 10 at 03:57 AM • permalink

92. Those denigrating the Nats are obviously townies. We bushies need someone to pork-barrel for us.
    I live about 5 km outside the Moncrieff electorate. A small boundary change could let me give her serious consideration at the next election.
    But I agree that it doesn’t make sense to stand such an attractive Nationals candidate in a safe Liberal seat.

Posted by Skeeter on 2006 11 10 at 04:44 AM • permalink

93. Well, us agrarian socialist pork barrelling right wing fiscal and social conservatives are indeed a conflicted breed, but we attract a higher proportion of female members than any other serious party. Bwaha. Bwahahaha!

Posted by wreckage on 2006 11 10 at 05:21 AM • permalink

94. The Nationals stand for all Australians -  particularly those in the country and regional areas who are neglected by the other major parties.

Unfortunately it costs more to provide services to fewer people in the country - hence the constant whining about porkbarrelling. No country in the world not even the U.S. leaves it up entirely to market forces. If we left it just up to the Liberals - we’d have a first world cities and third-world rural area.

And Miss Ban is standing for the seat of Forde because she is a Beaudesert councillor and is known and well liked (so I’m told) in the area.

Posted by The Mild Colonial Boy on 2006 11 10 at 05:24 AM • permalink

95. As young as she is, it may be a “training run”. The powers that be might not really expect her to run but want her to start building some “game time” in campaigning. There’s also no better way to “clean” a possible future candidate than by running them out into public and seeing what the press digs up.

It’s not unusual for newblood to be put through a few loosing runs just to make sure they’re surviviable when the big money gets spent on them for a real shot.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 11 10 at 05:36 AM • permalink

96. It should be remembered that Miss Ban hasn’t been preselected just as yet - just nominated. And nominations closed today at end of business.

Personally I think she’s the candidate with the greatest chance of taking the seat of Forde from the Liberals.

Posted by The Mild Colonial Boy on 2006 11 10 at 05:57 AM • permalink

97. gee, Mild Colonial Boy, there isn’t much difference between your justifications and that of the gaia worshippers in a more recent thread.  its just that the item getting ‘special consideration’ is ‘rural and regional’.

I am a country boy too, BTW, so I think more than others on this thread, I can provide a very long list of things that are made more expensive for “all Australians” just so rural and regional people can delude themselves into thinking they are the “engine room of the Australian economy (they just don’t make any money)” to borrow a Katterism (he was rent seeking for the wool industry in his electorate - of course they are profitable beef producers these days).

How’s this for a current example.  No imports of bananas are allowed into this country, so instead of paying $2.99/kg like our siblings in NZ we are currently paying $12.99/kg because of cyclone larry wiping the local industry out.  Imports are prohibited for bullshit quarantine reasons, but its really about protection.  If was really a disease risk, just prevent imports north of Newcastle.  Of course, this is no good to the nats (eg Katter and Boswell) as the major banana markets (except Brissy) are all south of Newcastle.  QED.

I could go on.  Your only excuse is that the US and EU are even bigger bastards.

Posted by entropy on 2006 11 10 at 06:21 AM • permalink

98. And while I am venting about the Queensland Nats (note to self: stay off the coke in these rumbos), why the fuck is Ron Boswell even under threat of losing preselection?  I know compared to Ms Ban he is no spring chicken but he is a hard working bastard even though I don’t agree with everything he says.  In the 2001 election I put him number one below the line in the senate, just so I could ensure Pauline Hanson didn’t get in.  A lot of my city friends did the same. Rest assured this was not repeated for Barnaby Joyce in 2004, and the Pauline Strategy tm may be applied to him the election after this if he doesn’t stop the show pony act..

Posted by entropy on 2006 11 10 at 06:36 AM • permalink

99. .43 Aussie Presbyterians do not fit into the moonbat category. We occasionally fit into the argumentative category. The Presbyterian Church of Australia is a Conservative, Evangelical denomination. As such it stands against moonbat ideology, though within the denomination are people of a range of political persuasions. I am an ordained minister in the PCA, and I am a Queenlander too, however I am in no position to provide introductions to the lady in question. I wouldn’t know here from a bar of soap. Sorry to disappoint :-P

Posted by Wolfbane on 2006 11 10 at 06:46 AM • permalink

100. If you want to see for yourself what the PC Australia believes, look at http://www.presbyterian.org.au

Posted by Wolfbane on 2006 11 10 at 06:48 AM • permalink

101. #34 Seriously, anyway (short of moving to Queensland) that we could support her?

The Nationals

You can stipulate which member your donation goes to.

Posted by Maulman on 2006 11 10 at 09:58 AM • permalink

102. Another story on Hajnal Ban

Posted by Maulman on 2006 11 10 at 10:07 AM • permalink

103. #93 I’m BORED of Baaaaarnaby by Golly…

Posted by crash on 2006 11 10 at 10:21 AM • permalink

104. I want to move to Queensland. F*** Singapore (oddly enough, I pass through Queenstown on a daily basis - THAT’S A SIGN!)

Posted by Rajan R on 2006 11 10 at 10:57 AM • permalink

105. BTW, “Hajnal Ban” is code for something, to induce us to do something (think of Yvan Eht Nioj in The Simpsons). Nab Lanjah. Who’s Lanjah? Where can I nab him/her?

Dirty Presbytarians.

Posted by Rajan R on 2006 11 10 at 10:59 AM • permalink

106. I don’t blame anybody for not noticing, given what’s in the foreground, but isn’t that a cookaburra (sp?) in the background?  Shouldn’t he be entering phase 2 about now?

Posted by RCM on 2006 11 10 at 12:09 PM • permalink

107. #93 “I agree that it doesn’t make sense to stand such an attractive Nationals candidate in a safe Liberal seat.” - Skeeter.

Sorry, isnt that the point?

Posted by The_Wizard_of_WOZ on 2006 11 10 at 01:50 PM • permalink

108. Correction to #108:

Johnny, mate, you need to sort out that QLD bunch…

Posted by The_Wizard_of_WOZ on 2006 11 10 at 01:55 PM • permalink

109. “People are mostly too dumb for democracy”

Finally, someone who gets it!

Saddam, Osama, and Kim Jong Il have been telling us that for years.

Posted by TallDave on 2006 11 10 at 04:15 PM • permalink

110. Instalanche!

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2006 11 10 at 04:48 PM • permalink

111. #109 “She joined the Nationals four months ago after being rebuffed by the Liberal Party.” - Link in #103

Thanks Wiz. My brief infatuation just died.

Maybe she was rebuffed by the Libs because of her infatuation with Barnaby?

Posted by Skeeter on 2006 11 10 at 05:40 PM • permalink

112. Actually skeeter, even though you no doubt noted from my rant about the Qld nats above, I am not a fan, they are at least coherent, unlike the Qld libs.  Why do you think Beattie keeps getting re-elected.  it isn’t love.Many people vote lib federally and labor at state level. The state libs inspire no confidence whatsoever, and no rational person wants the nats in charge.

Posted by entropy on 2006 11 10 at 06:36 PM • permalink

113. #93, #95 - no one deserves porkbarrelling, not even “The Bush”. Sure, it costs more to live in the country. Don’t like that fact? Then move to the city. No one’s forcing you to live where you are; obviously you’re there for a reason. Why should I (or anyone else, for that matter) subsidise your choices?

Posted by James Waterton on 2006 11 10 at 07:03 PM • permalink

114. Skeeter - yeah, if she’s a Barnaby Joyce fan, well…that’s a bit of a worry, too.

God, Barnaby Joyce is a dingbat. I have no idea why he thinks he has some mandate to act like an independent, considering the vast majority that elected him voted ‘above the line’ and naively assumed he’d support the National Party platform, considering he was a NP candidate and all…

Posted by James Waterton on 2006 11 10 at 07:13 PM • permalink

115. Entropy, I agree with your assessment of Qld state Libs. I’ve been a Queenslander for only 20 years so I haven’t had time to sort it out yet.
    Southerners tend to blame it on our yokelism but I suspect the real cause is that the Libs have spent too many years as the junior partners in the Coalition. After you live here for a few years you learn that the moron:genius ratio is much the same in Qld as it is in the other states.

Posted by Skeeter on 2006 11 10 at 07:17 PM • permalink

116. James, I moved from the city to the bush to grow food for the hungry townies and happily paid the financial penalties. Apart from increased costs, my income dropped to 10% of its city level.
    The only “subsidies” I have received are the refund of the road tax on diesel used in my off-road engines, and a HiBIS subsidy on satellite broadband that didn’t work.
    I have paid taxes to fund DPI services that don’t exist in my area.
    I have paid levies on my crops to finance horticultural research that has produced no benefit to me.
    But I would not for a moment want to go back to the city.
    Sadly, after twenty years of happiness, the city has come out to me. Residential development on neighbouring farm land has forced me to close down my farming business.
    The townies won’t starve of course. We can always import our food.

Posted by Skeeter on 2006 11 10 at 07:49 PM • permalink

117. Skeeter - you and other rural residents didn’t/don’t do “hungry townies” any favours by moving to the bush or remaining in the bush - they buy what you produce. If you didn’t produce it, they’d get it elsewhere.

By the same token, the cities that provide rural areas (how does “parasitic provincials” sound as a response to “hungry townies”?) with an indispensible administrative and logistical hub aren’t running a giant charity, either.

No one is doing any one a favour in a free market; each individual is acting in his/her own self-interest. Like I said before, why should I subsidise your choices?

By the way, lots of people in the cities pay various taxes (which can be just as stupid, ineffective and ill-targeted as the ones you mentioned) that they derive no direct benefit from.

Posted by James Waterton on 2006 11 10 at 08:26 PM • permalink

118. All true James. I was just trying to show that we ‘parasitic provincials’ were actually operating as part of the free market and are not the subsidy-hungry hounds that we are often assumed to be. It was also an attempt to answer your comment recommending that we move back to the city if we don’t like the bush.
    My “hungry townies” was tongue in cheek and not intended to be pejorative. I love my rural life and did not move here to do you a favour. But it’s one of those wonderful jobs that somebody’s got to do.
    Your ‘administrative and logistical hub’ are a long way from running a charity. Recently, I received 50c/kg for fruit that took me a year to grow. After passing through the logistic hub, it retailed for $6/kg at my local fruit shop.

Posted by Skeeter on 2006 11 10 at 09:02 PM • permalink

119. I’d like to filibuster her. If you know what I mean.

Posted by Shaky Barnes on 2006 11 10 at 09:16 PM • permalink

120. Skeeter - okay, perhaps you didn’t realise that my original comment at #92 was referring to the porkbarrelling National Party, rather than the the average rural citizen. Still, a lot of average rural citizens keep on voting for ‘em…

Anyway, my comment at #114 was dealing with folk responding to #92. Incidentally, the guys at #93 and #95 sure sounded like “subsidy-hungry hounds” to me - take a look for yourself.

Posted by James Waterton on 2006 11 10 at 09:40 PM • permalink

121. Skeeter, the supermarket contracts pay a substantial premium over the wholesale market to the producer.  The problem is that this premium also comes with stringent production/packaging requirements that also impose effort/costs on the producer.  Nevertheless, these contracts overall are more profitable to the producer than someone selling at the fruit markets. This is one reason why the price in supermarkets generally does not change much (the other being locating price and the most profitable point of the demand curve, which BTW, is not always higher).  To give an example, watermelon contracts go for about $800/pallet, while at the Bris markets they go for $300.  The difference between the producer price at the markets and the retail price at fruit shops is because the supermarkets set the price.  The people raking in the doe are the middle men between the producer and the small retailers.
    This of course begs the question as to why all producers don’t just cut out the middlemen and set up contracts with retailers. There is a continuity of supply issue, plus, and I think this is quite relevant, for many producers, there is a mind set that if they produce it, someone will pay the price they demand.  This is particularly prevalent in Queensland, which for years had a statutory marketing board in each region for each type of agricultural produce (Burnett brush millet marketing board, for example).  Apart from imposing ludicrous transaction costs on the community in general, and artificially fixing raising the price of whatever the commodity is, the only purpose of these boards seemed to be a training ground for QNP MPs.

Posted by entropy on 2006 11 10 at 09:50 PM • permalink