<< CITIES RATED ~ MAIN ~ BIG LOSERS STILL BIG LOSERS >>

GLOBAL CHEF WANTS LOCAL FOOD

Sweary chef Gordon Ramsay is just as bossy off camera:

Mr Ramsay said he had already spoken to Prime Minister Gordon Brown about outlawing out-of-season produce.

When winter asparagus is outlawed, only outlaws will have winter asparagus.

He says it would cut carbon emissions as less food would be imported and also lead to improved standards of cooking.

Here’s another idea: stop importing foreign television programs.

The TV chef said it was “fundamentally important” for chefs to provide locally-sourced food.

The same presumably applies to locally-sourced television. Ramsay’s UK-sourced program is shown in Australia, the US, Canada ...

“I don’t want to see asparagus on in the middle of December. I don’t want to see strawberries from Kenya in the middle of March. I want to see it home grown.”

Ramsay owns a Ferrari; a curious choice for an apparent anti-globalist.

“There should be stringent laws, licensing laws, to make sure produce is only used in season and season only,” he said.

The Green Team’s final tip is just for you, Gordon.

“If we don’t restrict our movements within this industry of seasonal-produce only, then the whole thing will spiral out of control.”

Strawberries in March. Why, it’s absolute chaos!

UPDATE. Ramsay is a food fraud:

[Gordon Ramsay] fails quite brazenly to practise what he preaches in his own restaurants, which serve food from thousands of miles away.

Posted by Tim B. on 05/11/2008 at 01:26 AM
  1. ’ ... the Soil Association’s Food for Life Partnership director Emma Noble said the celebrity chef was right to suggest that “seasonal menus are a key step in cutting the environmental impact of our food”.’

Seasonal menus would help right now in Burma, wouldn’t they?

Maybe the Burmese Government isn’t politically isolationist after all. With all that down time between shooting people, they’ve simply been watching Gordon Ramsay cooking shows.

Stop that food right there at the border! It’s travelled way too far!

Posted by ilibcc on 2008 05 11 at 01:45 AM • permalink

2. Fuck me. What a fucking stupid fucking prick. Isn’t fucking Ramsay the same fucking bastard who has fucking restaurants all over the fucking globe? What a fucking hipocritical fucking arsehole. The fucking thing that realy fucking pisses me fucking off is that I fucking love his fucking show and I’m fucking disappointed that the fucker turns out to be a fucking loon. Fuck.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 11 at 01:48 AM • permalink

3. the most annoying thing about this food miles business, is that it ignores the total energy used in getting the item from an idea in some farmer’s head in say, the antipodes, to some pommy git’s plate.

this paper shows what a crock the concept of food miles really is:

Comparison of energy used and CO2 emissions between NZ and UK Dairy. The UK uses twice as much energy per tonne of milk solids produced than NZ, even including the energy associated with transport from NZ to the UK This reflects the less intensive production system in NZ than the UK, with lower inputs including energy.

Comparison of energy used and CO2 emissions between NZ and UK Lamb. The energy used in producing lamb in the UK is four times higher than the energy used by NZ lamb producers, even after including the energy used in transporting NZ lamb to theUK. Thus, NZ CO2 emissions are also considerably lower than those in the UK.
    Comparison of energy used and CO2 emissions between NZ and UK Apples. NZ is also more energy efficient in producing and delivering apples to the UK market than theUK is. NZ energy costs for production are a third of those in the UK. Even when transport is added NZ energy costs are approximately 60 per cent of those in the UK. Consequentially the CO2 emissions per tonne of apples produced are also higher in the UK than in NZ, reflecting the higher energy use but also the lower emissions from NZ electricity generation.

Comparison of energy used and CO2 emissions between NZ and UK Onions. The energy associated with onion production is higher in NZ compared with the UK. However, when storage is included for the UK, so they can supply the same market window as NZ can, the UK energy costs rise to 30 per cent higher than those in NZ, even accounting for transport.

/pet hate

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 01:52 AM • permalink

4. I can’t think of one other time I’ve disagreed with your views Tim, but I do on this one.  My reasons have nothing to do with global warming,food miles or fair trade or any of that other crap but I can remember how fabulous it was when produce came into season and how great they tasted.

Now we can things like strawberries, mangoes, watermelon well anything really all year round and that thrill of waiting for their season to come around is gone.

Posted by Westietoo on 2008 05 11 at 02:09 AM • permalink

5. Westietoo, you make a good point.

But I fail to see how pining for the good old days is a reason to outlaw out-of-season food.  By that rational, we should be riding horses or buggies, not driving cars.

And you could always just, y’know, not buy out-of-season food.  Walk past the produce section, and wait until the local fruit stands open again.  Your local farmers will greatly appreciate your business, I’m sure.

That’s known as “voting with your feet”.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 05 11 at 02:24 AM • permalink

6. Couldn’t we just ban all British food and be done with it?

Posted by Adriane on 2008 05 11 at 02:25 AM • permalink

7. Why is such a fascist (word used absolutely correctly) required?  This dumb ass could just choose not to serve (or eat) produce out of season.  No English strawberries for sale?  Strike them off the menu.

Of course the secret businessman Gordan Ramsey realizes this won’t work because of the darkest evil of capitalism—substitution. Consumers desiring a strawberry dacquari will just go down the street to another restaurant, depriving him of not only strawberry revenue but also the rest of the meal.  Therefore it is imperative to have the power of the state force his competitors to agree with him in the interests of fairness.

Posted by deadman on 2008 05 11 at 02:29 AM • permalink

8. Heck, there is a product idea.  Calenders with in season food availability tuned for various regions.  The perfect gift for victims of liberal guilt with more money than brains.  Better still, use part of the proceeds to fund research for a cure for economic idiocy.  The cure is certainly not university scholarships.

Posted by deadman on 2008 05 11 at 02:35 AM • permalink

9. Westletoo:

We’re supposed to ban imported produce so you can be “thrilled” when it is available? You goose-stepping totalitarian!!! If you jollies are so hard to come by, try having your significant other withhold sex for eleven months a year. (But perhaps I’m making too great an assumption here…)

Anyway, aren’t there ways to get you thrills back without denying the benefits of civilized, peaceful free trade to the rest of us?

Oops. Again I forget. Free Trade Bad. Capitalism, ooooooh. Civilization Bad.

At the risk of invoking Godwin, you freakin’ NAZI!!!

Posted by nofixedabode on 2008 05 11 at 02:35 AM • permalink

10. #4 ditto, westie,

One of my favourite times of year is November when the cherries arrive. I flatly refuse to buy imported cherries during the rest of the year. A cherry air freighted from the States, no offence to all the seppos here, is absolutely nothing like our home grown ones. Plus the excitement of knowing the cherries are coming just adds to the pleasure.

Same goes for mangoes and grapes.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 11 at 02:36 AM • permalink

11. I’m not against free trade. I’m all for it. But, I do exercise my freedom of choice. If other people want to buy imported fruit and veg, go for it.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 11 at 02:39 AM • permalink

12. #2 - I fucking well couldn’t fucking agree more Infidel.  Fucking great show, what a fucking shame he’s turned into a fucking carbon fascist.  Fuck.

Posted by bondo on 2008 05 11 at 02:46 AM • permalink

13. Couldn’t we just ban all British food and be done with it?

Couldn’t we just ban Gordon Ramsay instead? I don’t mind the occasional yorkshire pudding.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 02:50 AM • permalink

14. #7 First rate observation…er…deadman (who I imagine must, in reality, be very much alive).

Posted by paco on 2008 05 11 at 02:50 AM • permalink

15. Oh, for goodness’ sake! All those bloody chefs bleating on at the update link about sustainability and the rest.

Guys, you’re cooks! Just stay in the kitchen and quit your preaching.

Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2008 05 11 at 02:54 AM • permalink

16. Look out! Look out! He’s got an aspargus spear! He’s a stalker!!

Posted by andycanuck on 2008 05 11 at 03:14 AM • permalink

17. Well why doesnt Gordo the Vulgarian take it one step futher and ban food not sourced within…say 10Km of his restaurants?

Just think how creative hed have to be to pull in the crowds, in his Greater London shop, with endless variations of “rat on a stick”, “subway mushrooms”, and “Spongy green thing at the back of the fridge”.

On the other hand it could help clear out the homeless in the area…

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 11 at 03:16 AM • permalink

Entropy, someone should send it to Ramsay as a wake-up.

On the other hand, if his real reason for locally sourcing produce is keeping restaurants viable locally it’s not a bad idea.

#1
    Except if you’re running a restaurant in Burma now.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 03:20 AM • permalink

19. To nofixedabode, I’m sorry but I thought that this site was where reasonable people could comment on posts that they had some sort of opinion on.  I didn’t realise I had to actually agree with you.  I won’t bother doing it again.

Posted by Westietoo on 2008 05 11 at 03:22 AM • permalink

20. Did “Sweary chef Gordon Ramsay” want more publicity? Say something to outrage and he gets publicity. Why not ignore him?

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 11 at 03:26 AM • permalink

Couldn’t we just ban all British food and be done with it?

A term loosely used.

#10
    Pogs, I eat imported cherries, only out of season of Aus cherries. I love cherries and in the last few years I haven’t been able to buy decent cherries without remortgaging my house.
    I hate buying other stuff out of season in Aus because with apples and some other fruits it’s been gassed and the qaulity is dumpster grade. The early season delicious apples at the moment are rubbish, only good for cooking. (And I object to arguing with the shop assistant when I take them back for a refund.)

#4
    Westietoo, you’ll have to develop a thicker skin. I prefer to boycott out of season fruit. I prefer it bred for taste, not length of storage time.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 03:28 AM • permalink

22. O/T, but more good news.  Nature yet again shows how resilient she is - Bikini Atoll explodes into life.

Likewise, nature shrugged off the Chernobyl melt-down; the area since has become a wildlife haven.

There’s one place I can’t see mother nature ever being able to re-assert herself though.  This onslaught is like nothing the world has ever seen.

Posted by Ubique on 2008 05 11 at 03:37 AM • permalink

23. I always start shaking in my boots when I hear chefs like Ramsay, Stein and all the idiots on Market Kithcen start preaching against imported food. Lets get one thing straight: what they are railing against is CHEAP FOOD, what the poor eat. It’s Malthusian callousness at its finest. The corn laws killed millions of Irish and drove millions more away from Ireland. And this yobbo wants to give it all a rerun.

It’s almost identical in scope and origin. The corn laws were to protect the rich farmers of the time from competing with cheaper imported food. Now a multi-millionaire chef wants to prevent food imports to protect his nuche and his brand. Bugger the African poor, the British poor have more to fear from this attitude than anyone!

And sucks to anyone who won’t eat California cherries; I like them! :^)

Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 11 at 03:39 AM • permalink

24. I trust that the wine list at Gordon Ramsay’s is stocked with only the finest British fruit wines?

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 11 at 03:45 AM • permalink

25. Deadman:

Agreed. (Your comment was not yet posted when I composed mine.) I happen to find people who want to enforce their whims at the point of a gun to be most offensive.

Westieloo- That’s just childish. Typical. You make an extremely offensive assertion, then get you feelings hurt because I do take offense. You propose massive restrictions on my freedom, How do you expect me to react? I’m suppose to stay silent? Not point out your views for what they really are? I can see how the idea of using the power of Government to make everyone act as you want them to would be attractive to you.

“Strawberry dacquari(s)” brings up a side issue: Nobody with actual taste buds would use fresh strawberries. Ditto fresh tomato juice for Bloody Marys or fresh tomatoes for sauce or most recipes. Strawberries and tomatoes to be sold as fresh are harvested and shipped green, ripening on the way on market. This is why they have no flavor. (And no, Westietoo, your laws wouldn’t change this. Unless you made it illegal to ship further than the distance of one day’s horse-cart journey.) Dirty secret: The best results come from canned or frozen tomatoes or berries, which are allowed to vine ripen, achieving full flavor before being processed. Store-bought fresh strawberries and tomatoes have the crisp texture, but the all flavor of cardboard.

Anyone selling you a “fresh” daiquiri is most probably adding quite a bit to syrup to it. And still charging you a fortune. All produce sold as “fresh” suffers taste degradation to some degree. Strawberries and tomatoes are where I notice it most.

So I grow tomatoes on the deck but refuse to eat them in restaurants. I patronize Farmer’s markets. I go the the u-pick farms. But I don’t demand that the Government enforce my culinary idiosyncrasies at the point of a gun!!!

Posted by nofixedabode on 2008 05 11 at 03:45 AM • permalink

26. Surely, the struggling rice farmers of Britain must be rejoicing.

Posted by lotocoti on 2008 05 11 at 03:47 AM • permalink

27. Could Ramsay really drink Welsh clarets?

But seriously, Ramsay is an idiot. Britain has been a major food importer since the 19th century. It highly doubtful that Britain has enough productive land or farmers to feed itself, even if it wanted to. It has at least 20 million more people since it was last self-sufficient and those people are eating at lot more than their 18th century ancestors.

Posted by Contrail on 2008 05 11 at 03:48 AM • permalink

28. You’re right Contrail, there’s no way UK can feed itself.
    Outlawing imported food won’t cut carbon emission but starvation and consequential population reduction will bring it way down. Fiendishly clever, these warmenista.

Posted by Skeeter on 2008 05 11 at 03:58 AM • permalink

Some idiot’s already tried it: The Urban Chef. He refuses to serve anything in his restaurant that he can’t source within the bounds of the London Undergound. Some people think he’s great. I think he’s a fuckwit. He’s full of shit and has to make umteen compromises in the course of an episode, in order to keep the faith.

“Sustainable agriculture” is about nothing more than sustaining the human population at a level the elites would like.

Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 11 at 03:58 AM • permalink

30. nofixedabode - Mate get a grip. It was pretty obvious to me that you didn’t even read my original post properly.  AT NO TIME did I say that I don’t buy fruit or veg out of season, I do, I buy what I like when I like.  Got that?  What I was doing on a pleasant Sunday afternoon was reminiscing - do you understand that big word?  In what way does my reminiscing impinge on your individual rights?  Then you make another huge leap and try and bring my sex life into it.. HUH??? And I’m childish.  Go back & read my original post again, read the words one at a time and maybe you’ll understand them a bit better.

Posted by Westietoo on 2008 05 11 at 04:13 AM • permalink

31. British food is so bad, they chuck one third away.

Posted by burrah on 2008 05 11 at 04:17 AM • permalink

32. 29. AlburyShifton

Dammnit my Parody And Crushing Observationtron seems to be playing up agin….
    That sounds like a seriously sad show.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 11 at 04:17 AM • permalink

33. Logic certainly is not one of his strong suits on this one:
    I don’t like being able to get cheap out of season fruit?  I wasn’t aware anyone was forced to buy it.  But I would be mightily pissed if by Regulation I was not be able to buy it.

Of course the reason producers don’t like out of season fruit is that it removes the chance to get large premiums in the market if they can supply a few weeks early/late (OZ farmers use the quarantine line to restrict imports).
    Why a restauranteur could give a shit is a mystery.  It is not as if the availability of out of season fruit has any impact whatsoever on the quality of local produce, and it means he has access to cheaper produce.

If he is complaining that fruit doesn’t taste like it used to, well to some extent that is because he is not as young as he used to be, but also because producers pick fruit earlier to make it less suspectiple to bruising in transit, pest attack etc.  Mangoes, for example, must be picked while still green, as otherwise the flying foxes get all the good ones before they can be picked.

Hmm, I love the smell of a tray of Bowen mangoes!

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 04:20 AM • permalink

34. I’m surprised locals of the Ramsay mindset don’t complain about Australia. For months the oranges you buy in Safeway and Coles have been California oranges (Florida would be better I’m told) complete with a little American flag sticker.  A while back it was Florida grapefruit too, but the local product is now on sale.

The price is right and while the quality isn’t as good as fresh local produce—two months on a ship doesn’t do a lot for them—its OK, especially given the alternative is no oranges at all.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 11 at 04:22 AM • permalink

35. #32 Dammnit my Parody And Crushing Observationtron seems to be playing up agin….
    That sounds like a seriously sad show.

A Derelicte of the restaurant world.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 11 at 04:24 AM • permalink

36. #30, well, I went and read your original post again, and it could certainly be interpreted that you were advocating restrictions because, for no other reason but the excitement of that first case of cherries in late October (or whatever), you wouldn’t be upset if out of season fruit were banned.  The first sentence gives the impression via the negative:

Perhaps it wasn’t what you meant, but it could be interpreted as protectionist.  And maybe nofixedabode either feels quite strongly about the issue, or has had a long session somewhere.  It is Sunday.

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 04:28 AM • permalink

37. From the first link at #22:
    I expected a moonscape in the huge underwater crater left by the hydrogen bomb but I found the coral doing incredibly well,” scientist Zoe Richards said.
    I’m just wondering: Does Greenpeace issue fatwas?

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 04:28 AM • permalink

38. When is the wheat season in Darfur. Anybody know? Gordon? Westie? I don’t want to be outlawed or have my movements restricted. “Oh, I can’t have my strawberries flown in out of season, it offends my delicate palate.” Piss off.

Posted by dean martin on 2008 05 11 at 04:29 AM • permalink

39. #34 Mildura and Mundubberra citrus growers complain all the time about Californian fruit, and Brazilian juice.  Squeezed at both ends of the market :)

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 04:31 AM • permalink

“These findings are staggering in their own right, but at a time when global food shortages are in the headlines this kind of wastefulness becomes even more shocking,” said Environment Minister Joan Ruddock.

Good oh. Ship it over to a third world country. Just what they need.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 04:32 AM • permalink

41. Thank heavens that beer and toasted cheese sandwiches are available all year round.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 11 at 04:34 AM • permalink

42. #39 - But a couple of years ago there was a huge fuss because tons of surplus oranges were dumped and bulldozed. Not sure why that was, apart the fact no one wanted them for any purpose.

Local growers might well complain and, certainly, given a choice I’d buy local citrus but at this time of the year there isn’t any.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 11 at 04:37 AM • permalink

43. Hmmm. I do agree in part to this - buying and eating local produce supports local farmers, tastes (generally) better and is more fun to buy at farmer’s markets.

However, in the context of the global warming hysteria, i can see the next steps - local food only to local goods only to local people only… hey!
    The logical conclusion to all this is that tourists and asylum-seekers won’t be allowed in to the country because of all the global warming/carbon emission costs.

THAT should be an interesting debate!!
    How DO you offset an asylum-seeker’s footprint?

In addition, the UK, as the centre of jihad and locally-grown jihadmeisters, has another interesting problem to face. Will the UK govt. fine these jihadists for violating their carbon footprint quotas by by importing Wahhabi books and pamphlets, imams and such unsavoury (in the non-culinary sense) matter?
    Will the UK govt. pay fines for all the imported jihad they themselves make possible thru their lack of stringent regulations?

This is going to be a minefield.

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 11 at 04:38 AM • permalink

44. Everyone’s excited over the fresh stuff, but what about those 50c packs of noodles that constitute 80% of the Australian male’s diet?

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 11 at 04:41 AM • permalink

45. #10 had war-time Germans only been known as Cherries, cries of “The Jerries are coming!” might not have been so frightening.

“The Cherries are coming!” is a much nicer thing to hear.

Ok, ill-thought out, sure. But I do like a cheery chant!

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 11 at 04:47 AM • permalink

Exactly right. Does Ramsay believe anyone cooks his recipes? These modern chef shows are just food porn to sit in front of while you chow down on your reconstituted cup-o-noodles!

Posted by AlburyShifton on 2008 05 11 at 04:50 AM • permalink

47. The man is a fucking lunatic

Posted by murph on 2008 05 11 at 04:53 AM • permalink

48. #42,
    They had the wrong kind of fruit, it was the juicing variety and the imported juice was way-way cheaper.

Now, the question of course is: protection or free market?

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 11 at 05:38 AM • permalink

49. Nothing on Pangea Day? It’s 25 minutes, you know you must watch it all.

Posted by dean martin on 2008 05 11 at 05:45 AM • permalink

50. #48 I believe the phrase “the consumer is king” is really a variation on “the customer is always right”.  SOOOO… free markets then.

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 05:48 AM • permalink

51. I do love going to the markets at sparrow fart and buying fruit and vegies straight off the back of the truck from a bloke that still has dirt from the fields on his knees.  It’s good, it’s cheap and it’s generally much more tasty than something that has sat in a refrigerated warehouse for months in ethelyne gas (or whatever they use to preserve it).

However - doing the markets thing is a huge indulgence in time.  It takes hours to get there, park, potter round buying stuff (in cash at each stall) - as opposed to zipping into the supermarket and getting it all done in a few minutes.  With convenient parking.  Plus the supermarket is open until late at night every night, whilst the markets are open for a few short hours on Saturday morning.

In short, buying local food from markets is a middle class wank.  Which I wholeheartedly participate in whenever possible.  But I wouldn’t want to do it as my only source of food.

Posted by mr creosote on 2008 05 11 at 06:18 AM • permalink

52. #43 carpefraise

This is going to be a minefield.

Literally?

Posted by Wand on 2008 05 11 at 06:39 AM • permalink

53. Why doesn’t he leave the poor asparagus alone.

Posted by saint on 2008 05 11 at 06:40 AM • permalink

54. When winter asparagus is outlawed, only outlaws will have winter asparagus

I demand the right to own as many asparagus as I wish, purely for home defence of course.

Posted by surfmaster on 2008 05 11 at 06:50 AM • permalink

55. #51 Mr Creosote ethylene is used to speed up ripening, not as a preservative. It shortens shelf life.
    From Wiki:

Ethylene shortens the shelf life of many fruits by hastening fruit ripening and floral senescence. Tomatoes, bananas, and apples will ripen faster in the presence of ethylene. Bananas placed next to other fruits will produce enough ethylene to cause accelerated fruit ripening. Ethylene will shorten the shelf life of cut flowers and potted plants by accelerating floral senescence and floral abscission. Flowers and plants which are subjected to stress during shipping, handling, or storage produce ethylene causing a significant reduction in floral display. Flowers affected by ethylene include carnation, geranium, petunia, rose, and many others

Posted by Skeeter on 2008 05 11 at 06:55 AM • permalink

56. I think Mr Creosote’s point is that picking fruit early for transport and storage purposes, that are then ripened artificially will not taste as good as stuff ripened on the vine.

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 07:17 AM • permalink

57. tastes good enough, of course.  Just like maccas will do in a pinch.

Posted by entropy on 2008 05 11 at 07:19 AM • permalink

58. All of this explains why I only eat whalemeat delivered by nuclear powered boats.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 11 at 07:51 AM • permalink

59. #55 ta skeeter, I was sure I’d got it wrong.  I’d just woken up from a Sunday afternoon nap and brain was not turned on.

I have helped out from time to time on a small fruit and vegie farm that friends own.  They put a certain percentage of their crop into cold storage for a few months after picking, and I can say from direct experience, fruit fresh off the tree blows away stuff that has sat around in cold gas for months.  But that’s a luxury too few of us get to experience anymore.

Still, if it’s a choice between floury apples and no apples at all, I’ll take the floury shit most of the time.

Posted by mr creosote on 2008 05 11 at 08:08 AM • permalink

60. Put the asparagus down and step away from the shopping cart.

Slowly.

Posted by guinsPen on 2008 05 11 at 08:28 AM • permalink

61. Ramsey is a businessman first, publicity seeker close 2nd, chef 3rd and…that’s it. A whole one page article was written about him, his new show and sundry other items and all linked to from around the world through just one carefully placed topical clanger.

He’s no sucker.

Posted by Srekwah on 2008 05 11 at 08:56 AM • permalink

62. In America it’s very common to see farmers and gardeners sell produce they grow themselves from roadside stalls and tables.  You can buy ears of corn, tomatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, watermelons and other fruit of a far fresher and better quality at cheap prices.  Often the missus will sell jars of homemade jelly or home baked cookies or pies.  In South Carolina local fisherman will sell shrimp at a fraction of the cost of supermarkets.

One needs only to take a nice drive out into the country.

Posted by wronwright on 2008 05 11 at 09:01 AM • permalink

63. #62 - Wronwright:

drive into the country?  And choke precious Gaia with carbon diabolicaloxide from your car?

Much better to have a semi-trailer deliver it to an Organic Growers Market just around the corner and pay 500% more - somewhere that you can walk to without the Birkenstocks causing blisters.

Posted by mr creosote on 2008 05 11 at 09:08 AM • permalink

64. #60 And you, Jules boy, keep that fork where I can see it and no one’s gonna get hurt.

Posted by saint on 2008 05 11 at 09:22 AM • permalink

65. Who cares about the poor?  They don’t eat in overpriced restaurants.

Posted by SwampWoman on 2008 05 11 at 09:46 AM • permalink

66. I can’t stand Gordon Ramsey.  And I wouldn’t eat anything he made out of self-preservation.  The man is one cancellation away from going postal.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 05 11 at 09:48 AM • permalink

67. Asparagus can be banned by any combination of state, municipal and national governments, or even subjected to a UN-supported eradication program, for all I care; I cannot abide the stuff.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 11 at 10:06 AM • permalink

68. BTW, quite a splendid set of forehead wrinkles Ramsay’s sporting; the guy could screw his hat on.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 11 at 10:26 AM • permalink

69. Fresh asparagus is quite good.

That being said, I wonder if Ramsey has the same objections to canned food, which has been imported everywhere for decades, and which most certainly is not Gaia-friendly, what with all that metal the cans are made of, the gas used in transportation, etc. And one more thing: people who claim that we should go back to only eating locally-grown food in season are kind of forgetting places where nothing grows for part of the year, when everything freezes. You know, “winter”? I’m lucky, I live in Florida, but I don’t think people who live in, say, Wisconsin should suffer for some rich toff’s green cred. Or do people not remember a time when people during the winter had to live on what they were able to store and preserve, because they had no other choice?

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2008 05 11 at 10:34 AM • permalink

70. First, they came for the asparagus…

Posted by guinsPen on 2008 05 11 at 11:34 AM • permalink

71. Ramsay should stick to beng a restauranteur, which he is actually very good at despite his potty mouth.  He should be careful since many ecocultists might well argue that fancy restaurants are ipso facto bad for the ecology by virtue of appealing to “high-consumption impulses”.*

I watched Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age last night.  She is a superb actress.  What does this have to do with Chef Gordon?  Well, both Blanchett and Ramsay should stick to what they know and do well, and spare us their insufferable, patronizing opinions on other matters.

And - as with ecofuels - one unintended consequence of “local produce only” is that it will put all those Kenyan farmers and workers out of business.  But it’s only the Third World, so who cares, right?

*  What a dingy world they have planned for us…

Posted by JJM Ballantyne on 2008 05 11 at 11:54 AM • permalink

72. Oh no, Paco assaults asparagus!

Posted by andycanuck on 2008 05 11 at 12:11 PM • permalink

73. Or do people not remember a time when people during the winter had to live on what they were able to store and preserve, because they had no other choice?

I can’t believe I had to wade thru 68 comments before Andrea beat me to the logical point! I can just see millions of people in NYC growing and canning their own fruits and vegetables, raising meat on the hoof to be butchered when they need meat (except the vegans, of course:), and finding storage space for all of it. Heaven forbid we ship any food over 100 miles!

And, I would add this. What about the diet and nutrition benefits of the wide variety of foods available year round, even to the lower social classes?

Posted by rinardman on 2008 05 11 at 12:13 PM • permalink

74. It’s not only food transportation that causes carbon emissions.  There are electronics, cars and clothing manufactured in Asia.  And then there is the greatest evil of all, oil from the Middle East.  So Gordons, Ramsay and Brown, would go back to the England of Lancashire mills and horse drawn carriages for the sake of the environment.  But wasn’t that when England was at its most polluted?

Posted by Crossie on 2008 05 11 at 01:11 PM • permalink

Paco.
    Asparagus is grossly overrated. And gross tasting.
    Yuk.
    If they painted Ramsay green he could be the next Hulk.
    Or that character in the Fantastic 4 played by Michael Chicklis (sp?)

Posted by kae on 2008 05 11 at 05:33 PM • permalink

76. #73—I can just see millions of people in NYC growing and canning their own fruits and vegetables..

Folks of my age and class in Australia will fondly recall their mothers spending hours over a hot stove with a Fowler’s Vacola preserving outfit, carefully bottling fruit and veges from the farm or kitchen garden.  My wife and I did it for a while 20 years ago but it’s a lot of effort when cans from the supermarket are cheap and convenient.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 11 at 06:02 PM • permalink

77. Ramsey is just being an elitist wanker.

Can’t have the great unwashed eating the foods his workers prepare in his kitchens, after all.

How on Earth would he be able to charge exhorbitant prices for tiny morsels, unless they were rare, and only available in season?

Posted by wanglese on 2008 05 11 at 07:19 PM • permalink

78. Just get the asparagus from a tin you Fucker! it is always in season in a tin, Fuck me!  go to the supermarket, Yeah! pay for it Yeah!  bring it home Yeah!  cook it Yeah! it’s not Fucking rocket science, FUCK ME!  I’ll be back in a month Yeah!  to see how you are doing Yeah!  Fuck Fuck Fuck and Fuck.

Posted by Howzat on 2008 05 12 at 03:22 AM • permalink

79. Asparagus - elephant`s blackheads.

Posted by mehaul on 2008 05 17 at 10:43 AM • permalink