<< MAYBE THEY'RE ONLY FICTIONAL THREATS ~ MAIN ~ UPRISING THREATENED >>

GERMANS SHOCKED

Germany joins New Zealand in discovering the inconvenient truth about Kyoto:

The Kyoto Protocol’s costs are coming as a shock to many German businesses and consumers. They’re finding higher utility costs resulting from their government’s implementation of the climate change treaty ...

In other environmental news, the London Sun has fallen to the Green menace. How long before the paper’s page 3 girls are replaced by the likes of this?

Posted by Tim B. on 09/13/2006 at 01:37 AM
  1. Off Topic But….

60 Days before I’m exiled from Australia.

Literally.

I’ve just sent the final letter before being able to take it to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, but the answer will probably come after I have to leave. 99% chance they’ll affirm the decision, so it will go to court in 2007. My exile starts in November this year.

It’s amazing that an Australian Citizen with no criminal record or outstanding warrants is being prevented from re-entering her country, but that’s what’s happening. And I have to leave for medical treatment that’s growing increasingly urgent.

The Explanatory Notes to the Australian Passports Determination 2005 state categorically that it is “unneccessary or undersirable” to issue Transgendered people with passports. They can’t legally refuse to give one, but I applied back in June, and I haven’t got one yet. They’ve refused to offer me a Document of Identity instead, so I can’t come back.

Well, undesirables were effectively exiled from the UK to Australia once. As I’m a dual UK/Australian citizen, looks like I have to live in the UK from here on.

But I assure you I will use the Internet to keep the home fires burning, preferrably under some politicians feet. This is Un-Australian, and despite being born a Pom, I went native long ago.

Oh well, at least I can use Skype to see my 5 year old son.

Posted by Zoe Brain on 2006 09 13 at 02:09 AM • permalink

2. Even NZ dumped its Carbon Tax policy last December!

Posted by WeekByWeek on 2006 09 13 at 02:21 AM • permalink

3. I’m a bit confused by The Sun. I read the women’s section expecting to see pictures of hunky blokes, tips on picking up blokes and loads of celebrity gossip.

Instead there’s an article about fighting rape and why Posh Spice has gone too far (hey?).

Alas, my figure is more like the ladies with the pregnancy pouches than the Page 3 girls.

Zoe, that’s shocking. Should people bombard the Immigration Minister with emails or something?

Posted by abcd on 2006 09 13 at 02:48 AM • permalink

4. Eeeeeeeaaaaaaaargh! No more links to Greenpeace girls, please, we’ve learned our lesson!

Posted by Ian Deans on 2006 09 13 at 03:19 AM • permalink

5. Dzzz…AARRgghhh!!!!

Must…Wash…Eyes.

Posted by Dan Lewis on 2006 09 13 at 03:36 AM • permalink

6. Oh help us. Please forgive me Mr Computer - I won’t throw up on you again.

Posted by The Best Infidel on 2006 09 13 at 03:53 AM • permalink

7. It looks like the Sod Off Swampy movement is the last hope of Britain.

Zoe: are they really banning you from returning or just being obstinate about the gender declaration? If the latter, fight ‘em where they’re weakest; when you’re back in Oz, as a citizen. (Of course that’s a totally gratuitous statement; I can’t begin to understand the complexity of your situation.)

Posted by Henry boy on 2006 09 13 at 04:14 AM • permalink

8. #4 & 5

I think I just turned gay…

Posted by The Best Infidel on 2006 09 13 at 04:19 AM • permalink

9. Smithovitch - if they were being obstinate about the gender declaration, they would have offered me a DOI. They didn’t. They said that if I applied for one I wouldn’t get it either - unless I perjured myself and left myself open to prosecution. Either contravening section 18(1) of the Foreign Passports(Law Enforcement and Security) Act 2005 (by saying I am female when I applied for a UK passport when actually male) or section 29(1) of the Australian Passports Act (by saying I am male when applying for an Australian passport when I am actually female). Both of these carry 10 year jail terms and/or $10,000 fines, they’re serious offences.

The law is quite clear, unfortunately. It is “unneccessary or undesirable” that Transgendered people have passports.

The letter  and the telephone call made all of this quite clear.

Their definition of Transgendered is quite expansive, too. Someone can have all the surgery in the world, but if they’re married, they’re deemed male. Body configuration is irrelevant.

There have been cases where women were issued F type passports with 1-year validity so they could have surgery overseas, then when they got back, they had to apply for M type ones, simply because they couldn’t have their Birth Certificates changed. Not that they are guaranteed to get any form of passport at all. A Passport can’t be legally refused, they just won’t issue one because it’s legally unneccessary or undesirable to do so.

“A document of identity is normally issued to Australian citizens in relation to whom the Minister (or a delegate of the Minister) considers it is either unnecessary or undesirable to issue a passport” - but it seems they don’t have to. Maybe they do, but if so, I have to go to court to prove that.

My letter to the Minister is over at my blog. This whole thing has been recorded as it happened.

It doesn’t matter, it’s too late now anyway. I applied in June. It normally takes 2 weeks.

Posted by Zoe Brain on 2006 09 13 at 04:42 AM • permalink

10. “The Explanatory Notes to the Australian Passports Determination 2005 state categorically that it is “unneccessary or undersirable” to issue Transgendered people with passports.”

Well, obviously it’s because of all these transgendered terrorists. If only you’d become a Muslim instead. Apparently doors are open to them in every country.

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2006 09 13 at 05:23 AM • permalink

11. About that keeyoto dealy, all that can be said is

TOLD YA SO!!!

The funniest of funny things is that the damn “treaty” doesnt even do squat to reduce the carbon levels, it simply demands that all the retards that signed it reduce their own industrial capacity and pay to have folk too stupid to figure anything out for themselves to build even worse polution emitters.

Posted by Grimmy on 2006 09 13 at 06:55 AM • permalink

12. I think we need more links following up the Page 3 girls. You can send me as special investigative reporter for a one on one with Fifi.

Me: “So, what are your thoughts on the Kyoto targets, Miss Fifi?”

Fifi: “Woof! Woof!”

Me: “OK, how about woof, woof woof woof?”

Fifi: “Only if you wear a condomn.”

Posted by Dminor on 2006 09 13 at 07:25 AM • permalink

13. Yes, yes, OK, OK, but I’ll say it yet again: all that cleaner air has gone and done diddly squat for Helen Clarke’s teeth!

Posted by pick-your-pun on 2006 09 13 at 07:38 AM • permalink

14. It’s amazing how many people are ignorant of the costs of implementing Kyoto and renewable energy targets.

They think that, say, solar power is a great idea until you point out that it can be ten times the cost of coal.

Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 09 13 at 09:18 AM • permalink

15. They’re finding higher utility costs resulting from their government’s implementation of the climate change treaty ...

Well, duh!  This is what really pisses me off about the environotards—they act as though their programs and treaties are covered by some magic credit card that never has to be paid for.

In reality, it’s the poor schmuck earning a wage to support their family that foots the bill for their fantasies.  Somehow, the greenies forget to mention this little issue during their great Mother Gaia lovefests.  Pfui!

Zoe—bad news.  I hope that you can get this straightened out.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2006 09 13 at 09:36 AM • permalink

16. Zoe - If they want you to put an M on the form instead of an F, just do it.  A passport might be an important piece of paper, but it’s just a piece of paper.  It gets you where you want to go on your journey (literal & figurative).  There’s principle, and then there’s cutting off your nose to spite your face (I know, I know, insensitive metaphor).  The facts and the medical detail are obviously beyond the comprehension of these people.  Sort the formal identity out & bore it up the bureaucrats when you get back.

Posted by KK on 2006 09 13 at 10:56 AM • permalink

17. #16 that does seem to be the obvious solution. Don’t tell them.

Posted by daddy dave on 2006 09 13 at 11:01 AM • permalink

18. Why didn’t they combine the “meat is bad for global warming heating” story with the “deadly stingrays abound off of the UK” story and come up with an “eating deadly stingrays good for environment” story?

Posted by andycanuck on 2006 09 13 at 11:04 AM • permalink

19. Zoe -  Yours is an amazing story!

I have been following it for some time waiting for their ‘bluff’ to collaspe.

I’ve underestimated their insensitive, unfeeling, bureaucratic mindset. Your matter would be a chuckle for them at morning tea.

Keep your chin up m’dear.

Posted by LaoHuLi on 2006 09 13 at 11:15 AM • permalink

20. I know it is not an english language link (indeed it is in Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey-ese) but it seems Iceland is having such trouble with environmentalists it is regretting the US leaving:

Si je ne pense pas que quelqu’un ait prévu d’attaquer l’Islande, des menaces existent : des militants écologistes s’en sont pris à des gros chantiers dans l’est de l’Islande cet été, des pétroliers passent au large des côtes islandaises. Il est donc impératif que nous modernisions au moins notre défense civile.

Link to left wing Froggy newspaper

Posted by Villeurbanne on 2006 09 13 at 12:13 PM • permalink

21. read the women’s section expecting to see pictures of hunky blokes, tips on picking up blokes and loads of celebrity gossip.

Yeah!!  I want me a page of Aussie blokes to look at too…where’s the equality?!

Posted by Sharon_Ferguson on 2006 09 13 at 12:42 PM • permalink

22. Neither Germans nor anyone else has the right to be shocked at what Kyoto does.  They were told what would happen.  They refused to listen.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2006 09 13 at 03:50 PM • permalink

23. Kyoto will collapse under it’s own silly premise.

It’ll just be something else Geo Bush is blamed for by it’s supporters - the one or two that are left.

Posted by trainer on 2006 09 13 at 07:21 PM • permalink

24. KK : re #16:  One problem with that:

It would also mean that I would be committing a criminal offense. Either contravening section 18(1) of the Foreign Passports(Law Enforcement and Security) Act 2005 (by saying I am female when I applied for a UK passport when actually male) or section 29(1) of the Australian Passports Act (by saying I am male when applying for an Australian passport when I am actually female).

Both of which carry the same 10 year jail term and/or $10,000 fine.

Even if they didn’t prosecute (even I don’t think they’d go that far, but wouldn’t test it), my security clearance would be yanked immediately. And so it should. People with high clearances should be kept to high standards. They must maintain personal integrity in things great and small.

There’s also a matter of finding a guarantor who would also be up for the same penalties. I wouldn’t put friends to such risk, regardless of whether they offered or not.

Finally all of the above are just excuses. I’m “recalcitrant”, pig-headed, stubbrorn, whatever you care to call it. I’m also self-critical and honest enough to admit that. This situation is wrong, and I won’t accept it.

30% of people who are TS suicide long before they reach my age. The ones who get this far tend to be…. determined. If we weren’t, we’d be dead.

Posted by Zoe Brain on 2006 09 13 at 07:51 PM • permalink

25. Zoe… maybe it’s time we mass-mailed Howard, cc: all the OZ press…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 09 13 at 08:13 PM • permalink

26. Neither Germans nor anyone else has the right to be shocked at what Kyoto does.  They were told what would happen.  They refused to listen.

You know, that’s only true in the widest-possible sense, that being “they didn’t bother to look into the issue beyond what the mainstream media told them”. Seriously, people have been bitching about the “eco tax” (a tax on energy that was originally introduced in 1999, and rose each year from 2000 to 2004), and the number of times that I’ve seen mainstream coverage mention Kyoto in conjunction with the eco tax in all these years can be counted on one hand.

In other words, unlike what apparently has been going on in New Zealand, almost nobody in Germany has explicitly tried to justify eco taxation with adhering to Kyoto, presumably because people wouldn’t have stood for it. So at least here, the whole thing has been pretty much backdoored into existence. You can bet things would have been different if the Greens hadn’t been in government from 1998 to 2005.

Posted by PW on 2006 09 13 at 09:39 PM • permalink

27. Or, to put it more bluntly, pretty much the only time you hear about the Kyoto protocol in Germany is when somebody wants to put down the US for not signing on to it.

Posted by PW on 2006 09 13 at 09:41 PM • permalink

28. correction to #26: “people have been bitching about the eco tax for years” was what I meant to say.

Posted by PW on 2006 09 13 at 09:43 PM • permalink

29. Too bad Germans. Put a call in to Gerhard, if he can take a break from his Russian gas conglomerate job, maybe he can explain why it REALLY WAS A GOOD IDEA at the time…..

Posted by JerryS on 2006 09 13 at 09:55 PM • permalink

30. Zoe, as much as I hate to suggest this, have you tried contacting the Opposition? An email to Rudd might get a lot higher up and gain a lot more attention than a ‘mere’ ministerial over at DFAT.

Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 09 13 at 10:57 PM • permalink

31. Art : re #30:

There’s one last chance : see if Immigration can come up trumps.

Look, the APO counter staff were fine, helpful. Those at Immigration have been outstandingly so, working back late, unpaid overtime just to help me.

The APO hierarchy have given me nothing but grief, and this is due to the fine print in the Australian Passports Determination 2005 which they think basically puts Trangendered people in the same category as unconvicted terrorists, convicted crims being deported, and citizens with outstanding arrest warrants. It should put them in the same category as people travelling to Norfolk Island.

But as I said, Immigration may solve the problem. If so, we can work on the inhumanity and stupidity shown at the APO without having the threat of exile over my head. Hopefully it can be reformed without the ALP getting credit for it, but if it comes to that, then more power to them.

But you know things have gotten pretty bad when an RWDB like me - and others here - are thinking of calling in the Opposition. It makes me feel….. dirty.

Posted by Zoe Brain on 2006 09 14 at 12:41 AM • permalink

32. Don’t worry Zoe, we’ll still like you even if you do call in the ALP!

Posted by Art Vandelay on 2006 09 14 at 07:45 AM • permalink

33. Send Algore to Germany!  He’ll straighten them out…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2006 09 14 at 08:12 PM • permalink