<< AFGHANS MURDERED ~ MAIN ~ SWOLLEN GENERATION >>

ENTRY MODIFIED

Andrew Bolt deals with a self-corrector:

I once asked one of the founders of Wikipedia if he really believed that mantra of trusting to self-correction, and whether that meant it was fine for me to post stuff as defamatory of him as he’d allowed to be posted of me.

I told him what I had in mind.

My entry was quickly modified.

Posted by Tim B. on 02/27/2007 at 10:11 AM
  1. Free speech for me, but not for thee.

I only use Wikipedia for articles where nobody has a political ax to grind.  Otherwise, it’s not a trustworthy source of information.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 02 27 at 12:28 PM • permalink

2. Wikipedia’s policy is to remove subjective content, and they do do this, although it can take a while (despite their talk about having no editors, they do have what amounts to an editorial staff, albeit mostly voluntary, who deal with partisan comments).

Posted by Blithering Bunny on 2007 02 27 at 12:47 PM • permalink

3. Tycho of Penny Arcade said it best.

“If I don’t like it, why don’t I go edit it myself?  To which I reply:  because I don’t have time to babysit the Internet.  Hardly anyone does.  If they do, it isn’t exactly a compliment.”

Posted by Tatterdemalian on 2007 02 27 at 12:58 PM • permalink

4. #1 RebeccaH

I only use Wikipedia for articles where nobody has a political ax to grind.

You’d be surprised where you’ll find political ax-grinding, though. Wikipedia is much more useful as a link-aggregator than as any kind of authoritative source.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 02 27 at 03:09 PM • permalink

5. Wikipedia links ALWAYS require careful reading with a large grain of salt.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 02 27 at 03:36 PM • permalink

6. And, of course, let’s not forget that editing Wikipedia to reflect badly on people is hardly limited to the lefties.

Even when something stupid is actually pretty funny!

And, yes, that particular Wikipedia entry remains unchanged.  Clearly, many people do not babysit the INTERNET.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 02 27 at 03:59 PM • permalink

7. O/T But Andrew Bolt was in superb form debating David Koch, this morning on 7’s Sunrise, on GW.

Posted by Kami on 2007 02 27 at 04:33 PM • permalink

8. #7 the look on Koshies face at the end was priceless.

Posted by lingus4 on 2007 02 27 at 04:35 PM • permalink

9. #7,8 - I don’t usually watch that show, but lucked in this morning. David thought he was so well prepared he’d trash that Bolt guy!

Posted by blogstrop on 2007 02 27 at 04:51 PM • permalink

10. Re Bolt versus Kochie, I turned on the TV (2 hour delayed in Perth) specifically to watch this. Picture is fine but sound is just white noise. Other channels are fine.

Anyone else find this. Has someone censored Bolt’s beat up of Kochie?

Posted by phil_b on 2007 02 27 at 06:28 PM • permalink

11. Koch was unable to say anything at the end, he just seemed to be fighting back tears of impotent rage.

Indeed, I have never seen Koch so outwardly rude when interviewing anyone, cutting off replies, interjecting after his own questions.  Poor show indeed!

Posted by Kaboom on 2007 02 27 at 06:48 PM • permalink

12. Is it on youtube?

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 02 27 at 06:52 PM • permalink

13. Damn! I missed most of it here in Perth because I was getting my wife’s breakfast ... the few seconds I did see showed Kochie for the lightweight, vapid nonentity he is ... a legend in his own lunchbox.

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 02 27 at 07:44 PM • permalink

14. #11, I almost felt sorry for Kochie as Bolt demolished all his assertions.  For crying out loud, he was suggesting that Gore and Flannery experts on the climate.  In the end, before the tears started flowing he was rescued by Mel his female side kicked.

Posted by Kami on 2007 02 27 at 08:04 PM • permalink

15. Kochie seems to have undergone a transformation to the left of recent years.
    I used to like how he’d ambush people like Sharron Burrow with a good objective tough question. They all get free rides now though.
    I think Kochie, just like Al Gore and Flannery has discovered that there is great popularity to be had by supporting this subjective, alarmist global warming agenda.

Posted by Hank Reardon on 2007 02 27 at 08:34 PM • permalink

16. Now this is interesting…
    I just searched youtube for “Andrew Bolt” in the hopes someone uploaded the sunrise debate with Kosh.
    A whole bunch of getup.org spam came up, nothing about or by Andrew though.

Posted by Admonkeystrator on 2007 02 27 at 09:37 PM • permalink

17. I’ve just asked Andrew at his blog if he has a link, which may prompt him to put it up.

Posted by phil_b on 2007 02 28 at 02:59 AM • permalink

18. Tatterdemalian

Tycho of Penny Arcade said it best.

The comic sums up the problem pretty well. :-)

Posted by Patrick Chester on 2007 02 28 at 06:21 AM • permalink

You must register and log in to comment.

Use buttons for formatting. See the Pmcode Guide for proper tag placement. Please use the "Links" button to insert links to other websites. Click on the button. All you have to do is fill in the boxes that will pop up, the first box with the url, and the second box with the word you wish to use as the link. Large unformatted urls that break the page design will be deleted.

NEW! the FAQ. (Currently very minimal. It will be updated soon.)

Remember my personal information