<< PROTOCOL DIVIDES, UNITES ~ MAIN ~ STANDARD VACATION >>

EAR WE GO AGAIN

“I’m the waxman,” sang the Beatles, almost, possibly thinking of their favourite Australian politician. Kevin’s ear-based fame continues to grow:

Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd says he wishes his behaviour was more ideal, after an internet video showed him apparently picking and eating his own ear wax in parliament.

It was recently played on American national television on The Tonight Show hosted by Jay Leno.

Mr Rudd wasn’t sure what to think when asked about it today.

“That’s great,” he told reporters in Grafton, in northern NSW.

“I’m really pleased about that - how did I go on Jay Leno?”

Good question. Let’s all take a look. Now, back to Kevin:

“All of us in public and private life would wish our behaviour to be more ideal.”

Mr Rudd has previously told local media he was scratching his chin.

Poor chap can’t keep his story straight. (Thanks again to reader Bill L., who launched this diverting issue.) Meanwhile, the ABC’s Cristen Tilley emails:

Re your blog post on the coverage of Kevin Rudd’s earwax diet, I just wanted to let you know that I wrote about the story in the ABC’s election blog on October 25.

I know it’s not the same as Jim Middleton covering it, but we’ve all got to start somewhere.

(Via Lex and Matthew L.)

Posted by Tim B. on 10/31/2007 at 08:14 AM
  1. Follow Glorious Path of Ruddling

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 10 31 at 08:29 AM • permalink

2. Well, to each his own I suppose.
    But if this guy’s ass ever starts itching, I swear I will puke.

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 10 31 at 08:29 AM • permalink

3. Wonder if he used to bite his nails and therefore used that horrible anti nail-biting muck you paint on your nails…

Don’t ask.

Posted by kae on 2007 10 31 at 08:33 AM • permalink

4. That must be why he keeps licking his lips.

Savouring the taste!

Posted by Pogria on 2007 10 31 at 08:36 AM • permalink

5. The video, circulated in recent weeks, dates back to Mr Rudd’s early years as an MP.

So, he’s been through rehab? He doesn’t do that anymore? He’s a member in good standing of Parliamentarians Against Cerumen Offensiveness?

Now, this is interesting. From the wikipedia article on Cerumen (earwax): “Wet-type earwax fluoresces weakly under ultraviolet light.” So, put Kev in a room with a blacklight and he’d look like a jack o’ lantern. Cool! I bet Howard can’t do that.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 08:41 AM • permalink

6. #1: Absolutely hilarious video, Wimpy (highly recommend to all non-rudd voting persons). Who’s the genius behind that piece of work?

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 08:45 AM • permalink

7. It can’t be a good feeling to know that Jay Leno has mocked you on television.

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 10 31 at 08:46 AM • permalink

8. I hate to be the party pooper here.  But I think we’ve squeezed as much mirth from the ear scratching as we can. It was an involuntary act that is embarrassing.  We’ve all done just that.  That’s not the same as the many acts and statements intentionally made or uttered by the left that are out and out embarassingly stupid.

Speaking only for myself, I’d give Kevin07 a pass on this.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 10 31 at 08:49 AM • permalink

9. #6 Dunno Paco. I waas pointed to it by jun science. I liked “Clever principle of Flexible Absolute

It should be shown in schools across Australia.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 10 31 at 08:52 AM • permalink

10. I was pointed to it by Junkscience. Damn fingers.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 10 31 at 08:53 AM • permalink

11. #8 So what exactly does earwax taste like wron?

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 10 31 at 08:54 AM • permalink

12. So what exactly does earwax taste like wron?

Jelly Belly makes a jelly bean with that flavor. Also, vomit, earthworm, dirt, and *shudder* buttered popcorn.

Posted by Rob Crawford on 2007 10 31 at 08:55 AM • permalink

13. #8 well, speaking for myself wron, I have never done that.  I once went naked horseriding, which turned out a much more embarrassing and painful experience than I had counted on, but I can honestly say that I have never eaten my own excretions.

I have my standards.

Posted by entropy on 2007 10 31 at 08:57 AM • permalink

14. #11 Texas Bob

What does earwax taste like? The lefties would probably tell you it tastes better than plastic turkey.

Posted by Retread on 2007 10 31 at 09:02 AM • permalink

15. Don’t ask to see what’s on my paws,
    Be glad I can’t make hygiene laws.
    ‘Cause I’m the waxman,
    Yeah, I’m the waxman.

Posted by Nic on 2007 10 31 at 09:06 AM • permalink

16. If it does itch, my finger twists.
    The taste of which I can’t resist.
    ‘Cause I’m the waxman,
    Yeah, I’m the waxman.

And I hanker for no flav, but me.

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 10 31 at 09:12 AM • permalink

17. Wronwright’s probably correct. It’s time to move on to more substantive political issues. Like English redheads with low self-esteem marrying hapless American Democratic presidential aspirants who resemble garden gnomes.

Sorry, sorry. Still trying to overcome my revulsion at this.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 09:13 AM • permalink

18. #17 Well if he does get elected to the presidency, you won’t have to wonder who’ll be singing, “Happy Birthday Mister President…”
      Hey! Is having a British First Lady even legal??? I wanna see her green card!

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 10 31 at 09:18 AM • permalink

19. paco

Iv got the link between Kevin07 and Mr Kunichs rootable redhead.

Keving likes earwax, Kunichs’ missus likes it even more, and with Mr Kunich having ears like bat boy she has a never ending supply. The tounge stud is just for the crustier deposits.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 10 31 at 09:22 AM • permalink

20. Maybe the Red Headed Brit cleans out Kuchie’s ears for him, y’know, just in case he’s tempted.

Still, I dunno, TB, maybe she has a red card.  In more than one way, if you get my meaning.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 10 31 at 09:23 AM • permalink

21. O/T, but this is great background on the American film industry in the 40’s and ‘50’s, and provides some damning criticism of the typically dishonest way Ted Turner’s mouthpiece, Robert Osborne, deals with Hollywood and the Cold War. Very interesting details on Reagan’s early confrontations with big screen bolsheviks. There’a also a reference to an anti-communist movie I mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago, called The Red Danube. Rent or buy the movie, if you can; good stuff.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 09:37 AM • permalink

22. Friends, Romans, countrymen - Leno me your earwax ...

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 09:48 AM • permalink

23. “I’m really pleased about that - how did I go on Jay Leno?”

Men and boys; it’s times like this that the gap between them is obvious. I feel sorry for him.

Posted by Hanyu on 2007 10 31 at 09:51 AM • permalink

Kevni’s just trying to worm his way out of things, as usual ...

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 09:55 AM • permalink

25. 17 Paco I think we may have set an unfortunate precedent with Sir William and Lady Sonia Mcmahon

Posted by eeniemeenie on 2007 10 31 at 09:57 AM • permalink

26. #25: Most unfortunate, indeed, Eenie.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 10:04 AM • permalink

27. I’m Kevin from Queensland, and I’m ear to help!

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 10:08 AM • permalink

Their kid turned out to be a movie star - must’ve taken after his mum?

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 10:11 AM • permalink

29. #28 that photo doesn’t nearly do her justice but I couldn’t find any others from that time

Posted by eeniemeenie on 2007 10 31 at 10:28 AM • permalink

30. OT but its time
    enjoy the romantic mind of the scottish male

A Scottish Love Poem

A’ coorse ah love ye darlin’
    Ye’re a bloody tap notch burd.
    An’ when ah say ye’re gorgeous
    Ah mean iv’ry single word.
    So yer bum is oan the big side
    Ah don’t mind a bit o flab.
    It means that whin ah’m ready
    There’s somethin’ therr tae grab.
    So yer belly isny flat nae merr
    Ah tell ye, ah don’t cerr.
    So long as when ah cuddle ye
    I cin get mah erms roon’ therr.
    Nae wummin wha is your age
    Hiz nice roon’ perky breasts.
    They jist gave in tae gravity
    Bit ah know ye did yer best.
    Ah’m tellin ye the truth noo
    Ah nivir tell ye lies.
    Ah think its very sexy
    Thit ye’ve goat dimples oan yer thighs.
    Ah swerr oan mah grannies grave noo
    The moment thit we met.
    Ah thocht ye wiz as guid as
    Ah wiz ivir goanie get.
    Nae maitter whit ye look like
    Ah’ll aywiz love ye dear.
    Noo shut up while the fitba’s oan
    An’ fetch anither beer.

Posted by missred on 2007 10 31 at 10:31 AM • permalink

31. Well it’s not like he’s out getting piss drunk and thrown out of a strip club or something…..

Posted by Old Tanker on 2007 10 31 at 10:43 AM • permalink

32. Slightly O/T: I’m amused.

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 10 31 at 10:58 AM • permalink

33. paco,

Would you please stop talking about the 6’0” British fembot - er, I mean, the British woman who married The Keebler Elf.  Q Branch would like a bit less public scrutiny placed on her.  If you don’t mind.  Thankyouverymuch.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 10 31 at 10:59 AM • permalink

No deal.
    Kevin07 is loathed even in his own party ...

#31
    The original story from the Scores nightclub owner (before he was ‘got to’) was that Rudd was up himself and abusive - presumably to the staff.

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 11:00 AM • permalink

35. #34 Egg: I have it from a confidential source that Kevin was stuffing these down the dancers’ underwear. No wonder they threw him out.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 11:22 AM • permalink

36. #33: Sorry, Wronwright, but those guys in technological espionage need to at least come up with plausible scenarios. Now, Kucinich and Granny Clampett, that I could believe.

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 11:26 AM • permalink

37. Ew to the story.  Double Ew to that picture of Dennis Kookcinich and his six-foot love slave.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 10 31 at 11:27 AM • permalink

38. I just wanna know what he eats in private…

Posted by murph on 2007 10 31 at 12:12 PM • permalink

39. This explains it - Rudd’s a pussy!

Posted by b_C on 2007 10 31 at 12:47 PM • permalink

40. On second thought,I’d want to keep this Rudd charactewr as FAAAAAR away from horses as possible, particularly if he himself was starkers!  Who knows whose “aromas” would prevail, eh?

Posted by b_C on 2007 10 31 at 12:56 PM • permalink

41. I never liked it when the looney left made fun of President Bush choking on a pretzel.  People do have accidents.  I include the performing of involuntary or non-thinking actions that if they were aware of it, they’d not do it.  At least not in public.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 10 31 at 01:57 PM • permalink

42. #21, Paco:

Thanks for the link to that article.  I have spent many an evening sitting steamed before my TV because of Osborne’s comments.  Another aspect of that period that is never, and I mean never, addressed is the black-listing of those actors (and others) who spoke out against communism at the HUAC.  Robert Taylor comes immediately to mind.

Posted by saltydog on 2007 10 31 at 02:08 PM • permalink

43. He WAS scratching his chin.

From the inside…

If you want some interesting perspective on the Reds in Hollywood, pick up a copy of Backstory, a collection of interviews with screenwriters from the day…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 10 31 at 03:10 PM • permalink

44. #42 Salty: Exactly. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, Claude Rains, who played the lead in the play, Darkness at Noon (based on the anti-Stalinist novel of the same name), was prevented from reprising his role in a film version - with respect to which, Wikipedia has this on Dalton Trumbo: “Powerful American screenwriter and Communist Party USA member Dalton Trumbo openly bragged in the party periodical The Worker that he had prevented Darkness at Noon, among other anti-Stalinist books, from being produced into a Hollywood film.”

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 03:22 PM • permalink

45. Just for Salty: a pleasant Hollywood surprise (or at least, it was to me).

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 03:51 PM • permalink

46. Wow, that is a surprise, Paco.  Steve McQueen was my dad’s favorite star back when he was in a half-hour television western called Wanted: Dead or Alive.  He’d have been gratified to know they shared a political philosophy (and if he were alive today, he’d be calling down hellfire and brimstone on Hollywood).

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 10 31 at 04:25 PM • permalink

47. #46 Rebecca: I had no idea; I never knew what (if any) political beliefs he held, but I always admired him as an actor (Papillon is one of those movies that I can watch anytime, no matter where in the film I happen to pick up the action).

Posted by paco on 2007 10 31 at 04:34 PM • permalink

48. #31 Old Tanker

Report for remedial Aussie Slang refresher course.

Ya get pissed or ya get drunk, hammered, rotten, blind, legless, paralytic, wasted,  intoxicated, smashed, stoned, rotten, trashed, shitfaced, plastered, sloshed, tanked, shit faced, loaded, bombed, blotto, full as a boot, gutfull of piss, rotten as a chop, full as a goog. I’m sure there’s more, but please don’t use them tautologically…. people will suspect you are a furriner. Think of the accent you’ll get when you are immortalised in Media Watch!

Posted by kae on 2007 10 31 at 05:51 PM • permalink

Me too.

Posted by kae on 2007 10 31 at 05:52 PM • permalink

50. #47,  Just in case you’re interested, Cary Grant, Clark Gable and Ginger Rogers were also Republicans.

Ah, the greats.  Those were the days when stars were stars.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 10 31 at 06:34 PM • permalink

51. That great actor, Richard Widmark [93 years] said when asked about politics: “Performers should perform and then shut up”.

Posted by chrisgo on 2007 10 31 at 06:43 PM • permalink

52. Caught Cristen’s piece - dunno how she got it passed by Auntie - prolly cos it is buried in the on-line blog, away from Auntie’s old meeja dinosaurs.

Good work - but watch your back!

Posted by egg_ on 2007 10 31 at 09:45 PM • permalink

53. With Anthony Albanese talking, Rudd would have had his ears full of shit.

Posted by Howzat on 2007 11 01 at 02:06 AM • permalink

54. Fishing for snacks in your ear canal might become de rigeur among the left if Rudd defeats Howard. Trendy little ear wax cafes in Coburg and Balmain, packed with Fairfax columnists and ABC staffers all scraping out their ears with their chic little wax removers that they wear on a chain around their necks. Leftie lovers sharing ear wax over a latte. Of course ear wax is not that common, so maybe other body waste products will become fashionably consummerable. Why people might start drinking urine. What’s that? Ultra trendoid leftoid Cate Blanchett is plumbing her whole house to bring her waste products back to the dinner table?

Posted by Contrail on 2007 11 01 at 02:31 AM • permalink