<< DO THE OFFSET ~ MAIN ~ ELMER RUDD >>

DECLARE YOUR SHUNNING

What products or businesses do you boycott, and why?

Posted by Tim B. on 03/05/2007 at 11:30 AM
  1. Domino’s Pizza because

A) They taste crappy

B) Their profits support domestic terrorism

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2007 03 05 at 11:35 AM • permalink

2. I don’t boycott anything.  Just the opposite: during the Danish cartoon controversy I made sure to pick up some Danish butter cookies and beer, and when PETA gets on my nerves I go to McDonald’s.

Posted by Damian P. on 2007 03 05 at 11:37 AM • permalink

3. I take it the “domestic terrorism” crack at Domino’s is about founder Tom Monaghan’s support for the anti-abortion movement.  In fact, Monaghan sold the company some time ago:

Posted by Damian P. on 2007 03 05 at 11:39 AM • permalink

4. If i am shopping for something like shoes and i have a choice between a pair made in China and a pair made somewhere else (I prefer Taiwan then the Philippines or Indonesia) i will by the pair made in the latter countries even if they are more expensive.  The Chi-Comms can go F themselves.  An i never buy books by lefties because they hurt my brain

Posted by matty-o on 2007 03 05 at 11:40 AM • permalink

5. 1. The Independent newspaper - because they’re devious, manipulative leftoid bastards.

2. The Guardian newspaper - see item 1.

3. All kinds of egg. Because they make me gag.

Posted by ThinAndBritish on 2007 03 05 at 11:43 AM • permalink

6. Bank of America.

For their recent decision to issue credit cards to undocumented illegals in spite of explicit U.S. law prohibiting them from doing so.

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2007 03 05 at 11:43 AM • permalink

7. Australian TV because it’s crap

Posted by regional on 2007 03 05 at 11:45 AM • permalink

8. Tofu. For 1137 reasons, the main one being that I wouldn’t eat any substance a vegan finds tasty.

Posted by mareeS on 2007 03 05 at 11:49 AM • permalink

9. Jamster

Because the Crazy frog is the spawn of Satan and should be cast back into the fiery depths from whence it it was spawned.

oh, and Dodo. That stupid bird makes me want to throw something at the TV whenever I see it.

Posted by sanchez9900 on 2007 03 05 at 11:52 AM • permalink

10. Ben and Jerry’s ice cream for countless reasons especially for being in the “Free Mumia” crowd.

Thundercloud Subs in Austin because the owner’s kid is such a spoiled, obnoxious, worthless, tool that I quit my teaching job rather than put up with him.

I purposely buy aerosol deodorants and Exxon gas.

Posted by shockcorridor on 2007 03 05 at 11:53 AM • permalink

11. CITGO products, because the profits go straight into Hugo Chavéz’ pockets.

BTW, Emperor Hugo is convinced US diplomat John Negroponte is going to try to assassinate him.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 11:58 AM • permalink

12. Lil Debbie snack cakes. Because she is a vile and evil temptress, spreading her little oatmeal pies and zebra cakes around like so much crack. I love her. No, I hate her. No, I love her…. ooooohhh the humanity….

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 03 05 at 11:59 AM • permalink

13. Skanky Ho’s. ‘nuff said.

Oh, and “American Idol”.

Posted by Merlin on 2007 03 05 at 12:00 PM • permalink

14. It doesn’t count as a boycott if you don’t want the product in the first place.

Posted by Serenity Now on 2007 03 05 at 12:06 PM • permalink

15. #12, Texas Bob,

Boy, do I have the album for you.

Slim chance and the Convicts.  (Dark Side of the Moon Pie)

The cover art is amusing.

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2007 03 05 at 12:08 PM • permalink

16. #12 Texas Bob,

Because she is a vile and evil temptress

LOL! So true! Her Nutty Bars are my downfall . . . I’m helpless in the face of them.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 12:08 PM • permalink

17. French Wine.

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2007 03 05 at 12:13 PM • permalink

18. #14, “It doesn’t count as a boycott…” yes it does if it’s always shoved at you, like tofu.

Personally my next favourite boycott is of shopping malls and supermarkets. I’ve managed to avoid both for years, simply because I hate shopping.

Posted by mareeS on 2007 03 05 at 12:17 PM • permalink

19. Is reason “A” not enough after 1998, DamianP? From your link:

That a spendthrift employee might choose to gamble away his earnings doesn’t mean the company he works for supports gambling. Likewise, that a wealthy man financially supports causes others find objectionable doesn’t mean the corporation that paid him the money favors those causes.

I don’t agree with Snopes because Monaghan was neither an employee nor just a random wealthy man associated with Dominos. If, in my opinion, a corporation’s owner is a bad actor with the money he is paid from the corporation then I can register my displeasure by reducing what eventually trickles down to him.

When Hugo Chavez nationalized Citgo do you think people shouldn’t boycott as Snopes says? After all, Chavez is now the defacto owner of Citgo, but he’s just “wealthy man [who] financially supports causes others find objectionable”.

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2007 03 05 at 12:20 PM • permalink

20. I boycott the oxygen that is produced by plants because it is metabolized by my mitochondria which then produces gree..nh.ouse ga… . . ..  . .

Posted by Jimmy the Dhimmi on 2007 03 05 at 12:20 PM • permalink

21. Second that on Ben&Jerry;‘s. Even though the company was sold, they’ve promoted lefty outfits like United for Peace and Justice on their website for years.

Currently, they’re selling Inconvenient Truth dvds.

Posted by Stace on 2007 03 05 at 12:27 PM • permalink

22. Here in the Orient, Origin Bento, cos they gave me food poisoning once.

Also, the local pickle shop where the old bird once mumbled largely indecipherable gibberish at me whilst givng me the evil eye and the younger chick kept apologising profusely to me. I can only assume that the oldster was saying something along the lines of “This is a local shop, for local people! There’s nothing for you here!”.

During my infrequent visits to my folks in the glorious Motherland, I enforce a total ban on free-to-air TV. Because it is pure, utter, excruciating balls.

I don’t boycott pinko-generated entertainment that I find entertaining. I never pay for it however, not wanting to stain them with the filth of capitalism.

Posted by Drunk Fade on 2007 03 05 at 12:30 PM • permalink

23. Any ranting, sancimonious jerk who either wants my money (Ben & Jerry) or wants me to do without while he/she lives high on the hog (Al Gore and Hollyweird).

Elizabeth
    Imperial Keeper

Posted by Elizabeth Imperial Keeper on 2007 03 05 at 12:31 PM • permalink

24. A very good cheese shop in my neighborhood lost my business when it started putting up snarky political posters:  ``Jesusland’’ was up for a while, and later a cartoon which said basically that George Bush was Richard Nixon without the brains.

And like Mr. Bingley, I don’t buy French wine.

As for Ben & Jerry’s, I never bought it in the first place so I don’t know if that counts as a boycott.

Posted by Sonetka's Mom on 2007 03 05 at 12:32 PM • permalink

25. Ben & Jerry’s, Bank of America, and Citgo. The first and third hurt, because the ice cream is good and the gas station is right at the corner and the only one on the way to work.

The only reason people eat those wretched Lil Debbie snacks (and equally awful Drake’s) is that they are in a non-Hostess market. Hostess cupcakes and Ho-Hos are sublime.

Posted by Dave S. on 2007 03 05 at 12:34 PM • permalink

26. The Body Shop.

Partly for their opposition to Pauline Hanson (their reasoning was crazed) but mostly for their support for the Wik decision/opposition to opponents of the Wik decision.

To this day if I pass a shop I stare at the facade & hiss like a snake, though I no longer enter the shop & give them a barely contained trembling piece of my mind.

Posted by Steve at the pub on 2007 03 05 at 12:35 PM • permalink

27. The Cafe Anglais in Lyon. The service is shocking, there is no such thing as a non-smoking section (or at least one that is enforced) and they charge far too much for coffee that ain’t that great.

Luckily, not too far away is the St James Tavern and its wonderful ‘Noon til Nine PM’ daily happy hour.

Posted by Villeurbanne on 2007 03 05 at 12:39 PM • permalink

28. Danish products.

Every time I shop I make sure there is SOMETHING made in Denmark in the trolley.  Usually blue vein cheese.

Was thrilled when a Danish friend noted that the brand I usually get is from a factory in the same town as the Jyllands-Post.

Posted by Steve at the pub on 2007 03 05 at 12:44 PM • permalink

29. JPMorgan Chase Bank.

She didn’t drive there.  I assisted her to/from the car and into the building.  Diabetic, you see.

Needed a form notarized to execute her late husband’s will.

Try forgiving that one.

Posted by Rittenhouse on 2007 03 05 at 12:50 PM • permalink

30. I boycott boycotts.

Posted by Jim Treacher on 2007 03 05 at 12:50 PM • permalink

31. Ben & Jerry’s - b/c I prefer my sinful indulgence w/o righteous sanctimony. Also, I grew attached to Bluebell when I lived an hour up the road from the original creamery.

Starbucks - for the sin of attempting to pass off burned coffee as good.

Tofu - when the best selling point is that it taste like nothing, why eat it?

Megachurches - I prefer to do my talking to Jeebus in private like he prescribed, not w/ 6-10K of my closest co-religionists.

And for a while, the Circle K Gas Station chain, but only because they always seemed to be on “shift change” when I went in there. And during shift change, they stand around cow-eyed, doing dick-all, and tell you they can’t ring you up. Then I quit smoking, and can’t recall the last time I actually went inside a gas station.

Posted by brett_l on 2007 03 05 at 12:55 PM • permalink

32. Anything French.

Books by poofters,women and Canadians

Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 12:59 PM • permalink

33. Like several others, I’m boycotting CITGO and Ben and Jerry’s, although neither of these boycotts has really been that hard: avoiding CITGO simply means driving down another block, and I should stay away from B&J’s anyway because I’m trying to lose weight

I will add two others: Pepsi, for it’s VP’s “America is the Middle Finger of the World” remark which the company itself considered to be no big deal and issued a “sorry if you were stupid enough to be offended” apology. Additionally, I avoid McDonald’s for its support and proud employment of lawbreakers in the US.

Oh, and Apple, simply because it’s ads tick me off.

Posted by JSchuler on 2007 03 05 at 01:02 PM • permalink

34. tofu - because they refuse to add beef flavor to it.

Posted by blogagog on 2007 03 05 at 01:13 PM • permalink

35. Ben & Jerry’s, ‘cuz the company is run by clueless idiots.  And, yes, I used to eat B&J quite a bit, so it counts.

Anything associated with Michael Moore, Algore, Barbara Streisand, the Dixie Chicks, Rosie O’Donnell, and other brainless celebrities.  I haven’t watched a Jane Fonda film since Barbarella, and then only to oogle at the treasonous creature (sorry, ‘twas a point in my life when I was overdosed on hormones, but gag, what a bad movie!!!)

I’d like to boycott Bank of America, but my employer has a contract with them for credit card services, said cards being mandatory for travel in my job.  Mores the pity…..BoA generally sucks as a bank (not just my opinion, BTW).  But I use it to the minimum necessary.

Anything French….I prefer Australian or local wines.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 03 05 at 01:13 PM • permalink

36. I thought B&Js; was now owned by euroscum?

Still OK to boycott them

Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 01:19 PM • permalink

37. I boycott Al Gore.

Posted by rbj1 on 2007 03 05 at 01:20 PM • permalink

38. And like others here have mentioned I go out of my way to buy danish products.

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2007 03 05 at 01:25 PM • permalink

39. Anything by Microsoft. Not for any political reason, but because their software is overpriced crap. And I detest their strong-arm tactics in the industry.

Posted by Urbs in Horto on 2007 03 05 at 01:34 PM • permalink

40. I’ve been boycotting Soylent Green ever since I found out it was people.

Posted by TallDave on 2007 03 05 at 01:35 PM • permalink

41. 1. Anything French, especially Target because it gioves money to radical left groups but won’t let the Marines or
    Salvation Army collect fot eh poor.
    2. Anything German. They build Saddam’s WMD program, built his bunkers, gave him US military intelligence and they abuse our soldiers stationed in Europe.

Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2007 03 05 at 01:36 PM • permalink

42. Since I live in a moronically liberal city, I boycott most of my fellow citizens here, who are well-educated fools.

This causes a certain amount of social strife, though…..

Posted by Harry Bergeron on 2007 03 05 at 01:40 PM • permalink

43. Anything that offends Muslims, greens, poofters, wowsers & commos…

Posted by murph on 2007 03 05 at 01:40 PM • permalink

44. Anything manufactured and sold by PACO Plastics.  Also PACO Rubbers, PACO Metals, PACO Domestics, PACO Luxury Goods, PACO Exotics, PACO Products, and especially PACO Amalgamated.

Because they use slave labor in Communist gulags to make products. I think.  Issuing mega tons of CO2 into the atmosphere in the process.  Probably.  Shipping the goods into the country via a criminally based smuggling operation involving dirt poor Mexican immigrants carrying bundles of goods on their backs in exchange for a few worthless pesos. I imagine.  Selling the goods through the efforts of salesmen locked into a cult-like relationship through the use of evil mind control rays.  According to Quggins. And amassing gross profits that dwarf anything earned by Microsoft or Goldman Sachs, without the payment of one penny in taxes.  As documented by the People’s Commission at Webdiary.

Oh yes, all except for my former company, WRONCO, seized two years ago in a Chavez-like hostile takeover.  Oh no, that company, now a division of PACO Affiliates, doesn’t seem to earn anything other than Argentine bonds.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 03 05 at 01:41 PM • permalink

45. #33 JSchuler

Oh, and Apple, simply because it’s ads tick me off.

Those ads are so smug and condescending they must be aimed at people who already own Macs. Do they really think they’re gonna convince Windows users to switch?

Bizarre.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 01:42 PM • permalink

46. ...I also go out of my way to buy Danish and Israeli products…

Posted by murph on 2007 03 05 at 01:44 PM • permalink

47. The NY Times for obvious reasons. Hollywood movies, ditto; I won’t go to a theater but I do rent DVDs. I need some entertainment beyond watching the Gore Effect in action.
    Also boycott all French products, and I am not too happy with the Germans either. And I absolutely refuse to have sex with any Hollywood starlets who spout leftist politics.

Posted by Latino on 2007 03 05 at 01:45 PM • permalink

48. #44 wronwright

Ooh! You send Paco on a wild-goose chase to recover the sack of magic beans, doubtless knowing full well that Copious Maximus had them all along, and now you defame him behind his back. Shame!

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 01:49 PM • permalink

Not a rule of thumb, but many Apple owners are smug and condescending.  I love the aura they project:

Ooh look at me everyone.  I support the little man by buying Apple.  You know, the business that Steve Jobs runs out of his Mum’s garage.

Posted by murph on 2007 03 05 at 01:50 PM • permalink

50. After reading this thread I must add Citgo and Ben & Jerry’s to the list. And I was a huge fan of Chunky Monkey ice cream. Plus I intend to boycott Microsoft with my next computer purchase.
    #41, Gary, I think Snopes debunked the Target issue, but I don’t have time to look it up now.

Posted by Latino on 2007 03 05 at 01:52 PM • permalink

51. Anything organic, since organic food takes more of Gaia’s precious resources to grow (and non-GM food if there’s a choice for the same reason). Too bad lefties are into inefficient foodstuffs.

Posted by Tommy Shanks on 2007 03 05 at 02:00 PM • permalink

Citgo - Hugo needs to be shot

Time Warner - Fuck them

CNN - Ted Turner is insane

Hollywood - Why give the narcissists any money

Posted by swassociates on 2007 03 05 at 02:11 PM • permalink

54. No. 50:
    Snopes is wrong if they did. Target issues a press release each year saying they don’t want those filthy murcan scum panhandling on their property no matter how many poor and kids they help. Then they put out a list of the “charities” they support, and they’re all left-wingers who hate the US. Screw Target. Get your Chinese slave labor goods somewhere else.

Posted by Gary from Jersey on 2007 03 05 at 02:16 PM • permalink

55. The Red Cross.

They’ll get nothing from me until they drop the anti-semitism and admit the Lebanese ambulance bombing was a hoax.

I used to be a blood donor.

Posted by 2dogs on 2007 03 05 at 02:27 PM • permalink

56. Target is owned by Dayton-Hudson, a more American company you couldn’t find. However, their issues with Salvation Army, etc is true AFAIK.

wronwright, another example of PACO Industries’ perfidy can be seen here. Note the sign to the lower right, advertising a construction project.

Posted by Some0Seppo on 2007 03 05 at 02:31 PM • permalink

57. SameO,

That’s not a construction site, it WAS a neighborhood swimming hole, one that PACO Enterprises stole.  Hey, they stole a whole damn lake in one of those -istan countries, so stealing swimming holes is like taking candy from a baby.

Posted by David Crawford on 2007 03 05 at 02:48 PM • permalink

58. My personal boycotts don’t matter a whit to the boycottees, but they make me feeeel better and isn’t that what it’s all about.

I boycott the entire state of Vermont and every product made in it (Ben & Jerry’s is a double boycott, even though B&J don’t own the company anymore). Why? Because Vermonters send only three people to DC, but they invariably are among the worst liberal offenders around. In the last election, Vermont promoted Congress’s only self-avowed Socialist (at least he’s honest about what he is) to the Senate. Patrick “Leaky” Leahy, who has been in the Senate since forever, is a conservative’s nightmare and need I remind anyone about Jumpin’ Jim Jeffords (gone now thankfully). I don’t know much about Peter Welch, the new Representative-at-large, but no doubt he’s in the same mold. I do know that he’s co-sponsored a bill to reduce greenhouse gases in the US by 80% by 2050 and buys carbon offsets to keep his DC office green (he has a bill pending that would allow Congress critters to use their federal stipends to buy such offsets).

I’ve boycotted Target since they kicked the Salvation Army bell ringers out. SA, the finest charitable organization in the USA,  estimates that it loses $10-12 million each Christmas because of Target’s policy. I try to do my part to help make up for that.

I boycott Progressive Insurance because Peter Lewis is one of those richer-than-God liberals who, like George Soros, uses vast amounts of his money to try to force his “progressive” idiocy on the rest of us. I would boycott World Savings for the same reason (although the Sandlers no longer own the S&L outright, they’ve made billions from it and now devote much of their time organizing on behalf of liberal causes), but World still give us the deals around and, hey, that’s my money we’re talkin’ about (see, no one is pure).

If a restaurant serves Pepsi instead of Coke, I drink water. That’s not a boycott, but a matter of taste.

Joe Bagadonuts—are you the same JB who comments at Huffington Post? Just curious.

Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 03 05 at 02:50 PM • permalink

59. That should be “World still gives us the best deals around”. Now it makes sense…maybe.

Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 03 05 at 02:53 PM • permalink

60. #56 Sedimentary rocks at their finest.  I usually boycott the sedimentaries, but this is a compelling shot.

PACO is to be commended for digging a large hole simply because, as Mr Paco himself said, “there wuznt one there”.

Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 02:56 PM • permalink

61. I boycott all TV.  I threw out the set in 1971 in disgust.

I was tired of being addressed as a child/woman.

Posted by rhhardin on 2007 03 05 at 02:59 PM • permalink

62. Number 54:

Snopes has, indeed, debunked the slurs against Target:

And Snopes cites its sources. Would you please cite yours? Where can I read this press release in which Target says “they don’t want those filthy murcan scum panhandling on their property no matter how many poor and kids they help”? And where is the “list of the ‘charities’ they support, and they’re all left-wingers who hate the US”?

According to Snopes, one of the charities Target supports is the Salvation Army, through the SA’s Angel Tree program. Target is not opposed to the Salvation Army as a charity; they simply have a policy forbidding solicitation by anyone on their property, and they feel that it would be hypocritical to make an exception for the SA. They are right; it would be.

Personally, I am quite happy about Target’s policy. When I go shopping, I do not want to be pestered by panhandlers for any cause at store entrances. I will make my decisions about which charities to support based on the charities’ actual merits, and not because they ring a bell in my ear every time I go into a store. I find that practice very annoying, and I would be more favorably disposed toward the SA if they would cut it out.

Target is a private business and their stores are private property. If they don’t want to let charities use their property to harass their customers, that is their right.

Posted by sundog on 2007 03 05 at 03:00 PM • permalink

63. I try to boycott textbooks listed as ‘required reading’ that are written by the course coordinator/lecturer. I’m not here just so they can sell more copies of their magnum tedious.

Posted by Ian Deans on 2007 03 05 at 03:11 PM • permalink

64. 1. Bank of America - even before the Credit for Criminals, they ruined more sailors than you can believe with deceitful, underhanded billing practices…with the govt-issued card!

2. AT&T - for being the most unfriendly, obnoxious company I’ve ever had to deal with. We just cancelled our house phone because we had BellSouth & they merged to become THE NEW AT&T. gack.

3. Citgo (the only gasoline on the Navy base), B&J, Dixie Bitches, Red Cross, Ted Turner’s Big Montana steakhouse or whatever the hell it is. He makes me sick - I’m hoping he doesn’t actually become Emperor of Montana, I’d never be able to go Home again.

I don’t buy Starbucks, either, cuz it’s just plain crappy coffee. It isn’t truly a boycott if it’s something I can’t stand in the first place, is it?

Posted by KC on 2007 03 05 at 03:14 PM • permalink

65. All TV programs except 24 and Battlestar Galactica.

Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 03:18 PM • permalink

66. Heinz beans - in order to reduce my carbon emissions.

Posted by Big Arnie on 2007 03 05 at 03:18 PM • permalink

67. Addendum:

CNN - Ted Turner is insane

Check, but because they showed that jihad video killing an American soldier.  FO&D, CNN!  Ted is insane, but at least he dumped Jane.

The Red Cross.

I do as well, mostly for the same reason, but in part by their heavy handed approach in screening volunteers, such as me (long story, short version: I am not giving my personal financial data to a third party contractor).

Although I will donate to the local chapter, on occasion.  It depends.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 03 05 at 03:19 PM • permalink

68. Well, it’s not as dramatic, KC. If you’d like we’ll turn around and then you can write a post telling us how you used to adore starbucks but have now become completely disillusioned by them because you found out that they force the slave children who harvest the coffee to wear fur harvested from genetically modified ermine or some such.

Posted by Mr. Bingley on 2007 03 05 at 03:19 PM • permalink

69. #62 - I’m with you, ‘dog.

Posted by Dave S. on 2007 03 05 at 03:20 PM • permalink

70. Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, cause 1) Haagen-Dasz is better, and 2) they’re nutjobs.

That’s about it. And I wouldn’t call it a boycott. It’s really a brand preference (the second reason is very secondary, if you catch my meaning).

Posted by rightwingprof on 2007 03 05 at 03:21 PM • permalink

71. Carbon offsets.

Posted by RK on 2007 03 05 at 03:25 PM • permalink

72. I boycott anything where the ad pisses me off.

Posted by AlburyShifton on 2007 03 05 at 03:32 PM • permalink

73. Sony. Their stuff, which used to be good, is now overpriced junk. And the root-kit fiasco from about a year back showed just how much they respect my property.

I try hard not to buy stuff made in China. Not because of the used-to-be-Communists-but-are-now-garden-variety-dictators who run the place, but because the quality of the stuff is so bad. It’s not even worth the ridiculously cheap prices being charged for it.

Posted by Billy Hollis on 2007 03 05 at 03:37 PM • permalink

74. The only companies I truly boycott are Apple (My apolgies if Mr. Lileks is reading this, but I tend to prefer my computers without a kool-aid cult attached to them) and EA Games I stopped buying their products after they acquired the exclusive license to make NFL football games in order to eliminate the competition.  Their actions since then haven’t done anything to make me reconsider.)  Besides those two, I really don’t boycott anyone, and although I rarely consume any of Hollywood’s so-called “entertainment” products this is more a matter of omission than anything (I have little use for fiction, most of the TV I watch these days is on channels like Discovery, Food Network and History Channel.)

Posted by Vexorg on 2007 03 05 at 03:40 PM • permalink

75. Jim#30

My motto is, “Motto’s are for sissies”

Posted by Jimmy the Dhimmi on 2007 03 05 at 03:47 PM • permalink

76. I also used to boycott Sony products, but these days I find it unnecessary to do so since they seem to be doing a pretty good job of running themselves into the ground these days.

Posted by Vexorg on 2007 03 05 at 03:48 PM • permalink

77. #73 - I bought a Sony Vaio a few months ago and could not have been more impressed with it. I’ve used about eight laptops in the past ten years and the Sony stands head and shoulders above the other brands.

Posted by Ian Deans on 2007 03 05 at 03:48 PM • permalink

78. CNN.  When they stop coddling dictators, and showing enemy propaganda clips - maybe I’ll come back…

Posted by Major John on 2007 03 05 at 03:53 PM • permalink

79. Shell and BP for being pro global warming, the Australian Red Cross for their anti land mine campgain of a few years ago.

Posted by norian on 2007 03 05 at 04:05 PM • permalink

80. My garbage pickup company charges some nominal fee (two or three bucks a month) for recycling. Fuck that noise. I’m not paying you so I can sort my own trash.

They probably end up putting the worthless crap (ie., everything but the soda cans) in a landfill anyway.

Posted by Matt Moore on 2007 03 05 at 04:06 PM • permalink

81. The Dayton Daily Dispatch and Time Magazine, because that’s how I used to get all my news until I figured out that they were lying to me.  Or maybe not lying.  Just twisting things and leaving a lot of details out.  Liars.

Also, the Centerville Wal-Mart because they made me mad.  Still go to the Lebanon Wal-Mart, though.  It’s cool when you can boycott one store and go to another store for the identical merchandise.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 03 05 at 04:11 PM • permalink

82. L’Oreal - because that communist sympathizer Jane Fonda is flogging it on tv.

Posted by Snuffy on 2007 03 05 at 04:12 PM • permalink

83. Like #26, I boycott The Body Shop because of the now ex-owner’s support of lefty and green views. The thing that finally pushed me over the edge was their support of illegal immigrants following the children overboard beat-up.

Cue (women’s clothing) following their boycott of Pauline Hanson. She was purchasing some items and when the checkout chick realised who she was refused to sell them to her.

Any product featuring a musician or actor who insists on sharing their,usually, loopy political and environmental views with us plebs. I think Chris Isaak sums it up well “My advice is, anybody, if you’re taking your advice for life or politics from pop singers, you’re a damned fool. Most musicians are operating just on a level just slightly above a dog. Don’t listen to them for your advice.”

PS I hope I haven’t let the italics out of the jar.

Posted by Kami on 2007 03 05 at 04:12 PM • permalink

84. Hmmm.

I generally avoid the television show Law & Order.  Primarily because in the vast majority of instances the guilty one is a white Christian Republican male.

After a very short amount of time it gets old.

Posted by memomachine on 2007 03 05 at 04:12 PM • permalink

85. Most all network television and public broadcasting.  I can’t boycott cable cuz I don’t have it.

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 03 05 at 04:18 PM • permalink

86. I boycott:
    Television (although The Prisoner was highly enjoyable on DVD);
    Australian films (other than the first two Mad Max movies); and
    Any religion sold door to door.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2007 03 05 at 04:21 PM • permalink

87. # 58, Kyda Sylvester

Nope, I suppose there are others as the “non-de-plume” is about as common as well, a “bag-of-doughnuts”

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2007 03 05 at 04:26 PM • permalink

88. No wonder Tim’s only posted twice today, and one of them is a “talk amongst yourselves” thread—he’s been in a big huge wicked fight, sort of:

Posted by andycanuck on 2007 03 05 at 04:33 PM • permalink

89. #88,

Yes, but the diminutive “tim blair” is kicking the majuscule “Tim Blair’s” ass as well.

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2007 03 05 at 04:39 PM • permalink

90. French Products, because they are French, duh.

Posted by David A on 2007 03 05 at 04:40 PM • permalink

91. Body Shop - owner is just another rich Socialist tosser.  Besides, I WANT my products tested on animals.

“Ugly Betty” - watched one episode, loved it, then found out the lead actress was a Bush-hater.  Grrrr.

McDonalds Healthy Choice foods - Jeez, if I wanted healthy, I wouldn’t go to Maccas.  Besides, those friggin’ rolls take so long to make, and standing in line behind three women who all want one…  sheesh, FAST food guys.

Any products produced by companies owned by religions or pseudo-religions, excepting votive candles and communion wafers.

Any food with the world ‘halal’ on the front of it because it just encourages the bastards(the same does not apply to ‘kosher’, however).

Time Magazine - vale Claire Booth Luce.

The Sydney Morning Herald - boy do I miss LB’s cryptic crossword, but I’m not paying to subsidise bourgeois Leftism.

The Anglican Church in Australia - Sydney’s too low, Canberra’s too high.  Nowhere for me, it seems, except the Catholics.

Posted by Apparatchik on 2007 03 05 at 04:43 PM • permalink

92. The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Posted by Phranger on 2007 03 05 at 04:52 PM • permalink

93. Post Offices, because I still look like the picture they have of me on the FBI list.

Posted by Diggs on 2007 03 05 at 04:53 PM • permalink

94. Hmmm. I boycott products from Pakistan and any other islamic majority country in the supermarket. Yes, I read the labels.

Shell because the majority of their oil comes from the ME. At least with Mobil the majority comes from the northwest shelf.

Good call on the “healthy choices” at Maccas, too. Defeats the purpose of going to a junkfood ‘restaurant’.

Oh, and mushrooms becuase they make me throw up.

Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2007 03 05 at 05:07 PM • permalink

95. I’m not big into boycotts but during the big “Buy Australian” push in the 90s i made a point of buying imported goods. And even now any product with Dick Smith’s face pushing economic nationalism and protectionism is banned from my shopping trolley.

Posted by Francis H on 2007 03 05 at 05:11 PM • permalink

96. Any movie with Julia Roberts or Leonardo di Caprio.

Posted by R C Dean on 2007 03 05 at 05:17 PM • permalink

97. I’m also boycotting preview and spellsheck this morning.

Posted by Nilknarf Arbed on 2007 03 05 at 05:27 PM • permalink

98. The game: “Half Life 2”.  Ain’t no damn way I’m paying for no damn product activation in no damn game.

CityLink, and before too long EastLink.

Steve Bracks (see above).

The garbAge’s Caroline Wilson, and everything else other than the sports section or Green Guide.

Any Roland Emmerich movie.

The phrases: “lawyers for asy…”, “lawyers for dav…”, “senator bob…”, “activists…”, etc. as they appear on TV or radio.

Posted by Craig Mc on 2007 03 05 at 05:34 PM • permalink

99. I never ever ever go into a McDonalds. I don’t like the way they do business and I don’t like the way they have forced themselves into neighbourhoods regardless of the wishes of residents.

Posted by you bet on 2007 03 05 at 05:42 PM • permalink

100. My fellow US Blairites:

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 05:45 PM • permalink

101. #88 Cool link andyc

Remarkably, Tim Blair also beats crikey and Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 05:50 PM • permalink

102. All-conquering, our Tim.

;^)

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 05:56 PM • permalink

103. #81 RebeccaH -

Lebanon, in general, is a nicer city.  Still has a small town flavor to it.  One can seldom find a nicer more enjoyable downtown area than Lebanon’s.  Beautiful library, vibrant stores, and, of course, The Golden Lamb, the oldest inn in Ohio.  Great malt shop across the street too.

Centerville is snotty since they have the nicest shopping mall in the Greater Dayton area.  Which is truly something to brag about.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 03 05 at 05:57 PM • permalink

104. #101 and Sydney Morning Herald

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 05:57 PM • permalink

105. #101 - Yes, but global warming is also beating the pants off the Gore effect. Not sure I trust this tool.

Posted by Matt Moore on 2007 03 05 at 05:57 PM • permalink

106. #105 Matt Moore

#101 - Yes, but global warming is also beating the pants off the Gore effect.

Then we obviously need to put that boy on a vigorous training regimen.

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 06:00 PM • permalink

107. CBC Canadian Broadcasting Corporation TV

There is no truth they will not hide, no lie they will not spread in their never ending quest to propogate their left wing socialist agenda.

Posted by lionbill on 2007 03 05 at 06:01 PM • permalink

108. Since Sunday - Channel 10.

Since Kochie - Channel 7.

Dick Smith - since he donated $60,000 to the Hicks mob.

#55 - Red Cross lost my support there as well.

Thanks #83 - Chris Isaak rocks!

Posted by cal on 2007 03 05 at 06:03 PM • permalink

109. By the way - I don’t know how it works in Oz but here in Canada, even though their market share is approx. 14% - 100% of taxpayers are required to fund the CBC. Ain’t democracy wonderful.

Posted by lionbill on 2007 03 05 at 06:04 PM • permalink

110. Michael Moore movies. Sometimes it’s necessary to have seen them to argue with people about them, but I’ll download them for free off Limewire before I’ll give that buttplug a cent of my money.

But then again I also download scrubs and southpark off limewire too, even though I do support them. So really my boycott just amounts to the fact that I like pirating movies.

Posted by Behemoth on 2007 03 05 at 06:08 PM • permalink

“regardless of the wishes of residents”

Don’t you mean “regardless of the wishes of a minority of the residents”

If people were all that dead set against McDonalds the location would go out of business virtually overnight from lack of sales, this however never seems to be the case. Wonder why?

Posted by joe bagadonuts on 2007 03 05 at 06:15 PM • permalink

112. It should be noted that the American Red Cross is NOT affiliated with the International Committee of the Red Cross, who are the perpetrators/enablers of the Lebanese Ambulance Hoax™, as well as numerous other anti-Semitic/anti-Israel stunts.

Not entirely accurate, Spiny.  The ARC is a member of the Internation Red Cross, and sends funds to them annually; the ARC did withold those funds for several years because of the IRC’s anti-Israel stance, but resumed those recently, when the IRC made certain concessions in regards to Israel.

I wrote both the IRC and ARC on this particular subject; no response from the IRC, and the ARC was pretty much “Huh?”

I guess they had too many problems from Katrina to tussle with the IRC again.  Along those lines, I’ve too many problems myself to write the national chapter a check.

In any case, that isn’t the only reason why I boycott the ARC; please re-read my addendum.

And if I *could* donate blood, I would; screw the politics!  Unfortunately, I am no longer eligible to do so, because I lived in Europe for more than 6 months after 1980.

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2007 03 05 at 06:18 PM • permalink

113. The aussie readers will know these:

1. APIA, formerly known as Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency, who only insure over 55’s, now over 50’s, and in 5 years time, over 40’s; for that smug whiney ugly smartarse compere.

2. RACQ - a Qld insurance company (see a trend?), for their anti-male ads where a dumb male is depicted and made fun of by the ad / female.  They have about 20 dumb male ads and 1 dumb female ad - why make anyone out to be dumb in the first place?  This attempt at humour infuriates me, rather than humours me.

3. Westpac Bank - hate the music of their ads, and they are the greenest bank in the world, apparently.

4. French, German, Russian and Chinese products, although the latter is nigh impossible given they make 90% of non-perishable goods sold in Australia.  But we try.

Posted by peter m on 2007 03 05 at 06:20 PM • permalink

114. #26 Steve at the pub, what the hell would a bloke called “Steve at the pub,” find to buy at the Body Shop anyway?

Posted by anthony_r on 2007 03 05 at 06:20 PM • permalink

115. I don’t really in fact actually boycott French products, but I loved the renaming of “French fries” to “freedom fries” and the high-spirited in-your-facedness that inspired it, and it made, and makes, me laugh. Especially when it’s viewed by so many people as being horrid.

Posted by m on 2007 03 05 at 06:22 PM • permalink

116. I refuse to buy anything from France, because they are a lying bunch of arrogant back-stabbers who support the terrorists.

Posted by bill schumm on 2007 03 05 at 06:24 PM • permalink

117. Well, I’d love to boycott all the Palestinian exports, except I’ve never found any (except this one which I suspect most people try to avoid).

Other than that:
    1) French products
    2) Belgian products (worse than the French) - try Swiss chocolate instead
    3) German cars - for using Jewish slave labour in WWII
    4) IBM for their alliance with the Nazis (see: [url=http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com]http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com[/url]).

Oh, and PETA.

Posted by Dan Lewis on 2007 03 05 at 06:25 PM • permalink

118. Don’t hold back, Bill. I think we’re near a breakthrough on your inermost feelings. Just tell us what you feel deep down inside.

Posted by Merlin on 2007 03 05 at 06:28 PM • permalink

119. Agree with #95 regarding the Buy Australian campaign and anything promoted by Dick Smith.

Heinz products as I don’t want my hard-earned $$$ lining (via his wife) John Kerry’s pockets.

Charities pushing political agendas eg Amnesty International (I know its their brief but they always choose easy targets like Oz and US and ignore the likes of Cuba, North Korea.

Posted by Kami on 2007 03 05 at 06:29 PM • permalink

120. #107 Lion -yes, I forgot.

I call on all Canadians to boycott the CBC.

Please god, the next federal election will give us a majority CPC governmenr and they will have the balls to privatize these sleaze-bag, scum-sucking commie liars.

Posted by Jack from Montreal on 2007 03 05 at 06:30 PM • permalink

121. Anything attached to Virgin, not because of Branson’s latest green stunt but because of ALL the stunts. Just seeing his face, his chin thrust at the camera to remove the wrinkles from his neck, annoys me.

Anything made in Malaysia because I’ll never forgive them for Mahatir. He got Malays to hate Australians, so the feeling is now mutual.

Anything endorsed by Bono for so many reasons I couldn’t be bothered listing them.

Posted by Contrail on 2007 03 05 at 06:41 PM • permalink

122. The Age newspaper.

I used to buy it once a week for the Green Guide (TV guide) but banned it completely after Jaspan got stuck into Douglas Wood.

There’s a lot of TV that doesn’t deserve ratings (ABC pap, Big Brother…) but I figure it’s only the viewers selected by AC Nielson who’s viewing habits matter, so I watch any rubbish.

With airlines I prefer the non-Qantas alternative when it’s available and economical because even though they may be cheap now I know without the competition they will bend their “loyal aussie” customers right over the barrel.

On the subject of airlines people boycotting French products better ask what plane the flight uses before booking - Airbuses are painted white for a special reason.

ASX is bout to open hope the haemorrage subsides.

Posted by HC44 on 2007 03 05 at 06:45 PM • permalink

123. I try to avoid:

organic food

fair trade products

and especially organic, fair trade food and products

Posted by procrustes on 2007 03 05 at 06:52 PM • permalink

124. #88 Tim Blair also beats Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and British Broadcasting Corporation

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 06:54 PM • permalink

125. Vegamite.  I do it to keep the price low for those folks who love it.

(LOL and heading for cover.)

Posted by Dusty on 2007 03 05 at 06:57 PM • permalink

126. Anything French - because it’s French. Surely I don’t need to explain this. But please note, I was bashing the French before French-bashing was trendy.

Nissan cars - because of 25 years of absolutely stupid ad campaigns, viz:
    .Tiida - it gives sluts orgasms (and we can’t spell)
    .Bluebird - the first 4 cylinder limosuine (please - describing a Japanese econo-box as a limosuine is just insulting)
    .The Pintara super-hatch. Let’s give a wagon a sloping tailgate & call it a super-wank.

Posted by Tom H on 2007 03 05 at 06:58 PM • permalink

127. Dick Smith & anyone else supporting Mahammod Dawood; any actor that opens their mouths/protests eg Heath Ledger/Naomi Watts; Mel & that dickhead Koch; Channel 9 and probably most Aussie TV shows/movies (reinforced after wasting my free FBO movie on Jindybine); Toni Collette for being a Blacktown bogan; SMH & other commie rags….ummmm that’ll do for now.

#122 - lots of buying opps atm.

Posted by ozconservative on 2007 03 05 at 07:00 PM • permalink

128. Kit Kats & anything with the Islamic symbol on it. Bugga!!

Posted by ozconservative on 2007 03 05 at 07:01 PM • permalink

Jack

I intend to join the CPC party this week and volunteer in the next election. As my brother reminded me I talk much and do little I’m going to try the other way round

Posted by lionbill on 2007 03 05 at 07:18 PM • permalink

130. #55 2dogs

If you aren’t Red Cross Lebanon it makes no different, it that Red Cross you should be boycotting.

#100 I think it’s the same for Australian Red Cross.

Posted by kae on 2007 03 05 at 07:22 PM • permalink

131. Everything!

Well, ALMOST everything then!

Posted by Tony.T.Teacher on 2007 03 05 at 07:31 PM • permalink

132. I wish I had known that about Progressive Insurance before I got my auto insurance a couple weeks ago. Oh well. Anyone know where I can get Progressive Auto Coverage Offsets?

Posted by dean martin on 2007 03 05 at 07:32 PM • permalink

133. I suppose the name “Progressive” should have clued me in.

Posted by dean martin on 2007 03 05 at 07:36 PM • permalink

134. International Red Cross, for consistently being a bunch of smug pricks for the last sixty-five years.

Australian Red Cross, for not clearly disassociating itself for the International Red Cross.

Posted by geoff on 2007 03 05 at 07:40 PM • permalink

135. I shall never ever travel in a Lebanese Ambulance.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 07:48 PM • permalink

136. Any of the generic “Home brand” products from Coles, Woolies, IGA etc. Screw ‘em, they’re deliberately sending smaller companies to the wall.

Prawns from Vietnam or India. Puh-lease! Ever seen the water they farm them in?

Valvoline, for being associated with that anti-gun prick John Laws. Ditto Toyota Australia.

Any product advertised through the agencies of Saatchi and Saatchi, who do all Gun Control Australia’s vomitous propaganda pro bono (gag).

Any appearance by Andrew Weasel-face Denton, the mouthpiece for (and board member of) GCA.

Any film with Tim Robbins and his bug-eyed harridan of a missus.

RSPCA for adopting the loony radicalism of Hugh Wirth.

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 05 at 07:51 PM • permalink

137. I’m boycotting carbon and oxygen because people are using them to emit CO2. If I had my way a lot of people would stop doing that.

Posted by Arty on 2007 03 05 at 07:54 PM • permalink

138. #103 wronwright:

Agree with you about Lebanon.  A very nice little town, and handy, since I stopped working in Fairborn and seldom go north anymore.  Although, by rights, we should be boycotting the Golden Lamb, as Charles Dickens once stayed there on his American tour, and we all know how he hated America.

In my previous post I conflated the Columbus Dispatch with the Dayton Daily News, but there’s little difference anyway, as they all get their national and international news from AP and Reuters.  Let’s throw the Cincinnati Enquirer in for good measure.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 03 05 at 07:55 PM • permalink

139. Iranian products. This actually hurts because the only cornichons you can buy around here are products of Iran, and they’re my favorite pickle. Damn Ayatollah. Why a French pickle is made in Iran is a mystery to me - though somehow ironic, these days.

Ditto Ben & Jerry’s. Hippie jack-offs.

I’m boycotting buying music for March as part of the anti-RIAA DRM boycott. I’ve stopped buying actual CDs, in favour of downloads from iTunes, etc., but I think the industry should abandon DRM and other restrictive copy protection software. Thank God for MP3 blogs.

Posted by rick mcginnis on 2007 03 05 at 08:06 PM • permalink

140. Independent Australian Jewish Voices

The latest silly to ugly gang of Please Don’t Hurt Me Sir, I’m A Good Jew, See How High I Can Jump? types with the same old clique spewing all the same old stuff. Only a few days old and not an original word or new thought in sight. “We’re lefties too. Piss on Israel. See! Ain’t we cute?” Yuk.

The brilliant
    Melanie Phillips on the British version of this abomination here.

Posted by geoff on 2007 03 05 at 08:08 PM • permalink

141. The boss of ARC is Robert Tickner, how did he get the gig, he’s a fwit

Posted by regional on 2007 03 05 at 08:12 PM • permalink

142. #87—I hope he isn’t some kind of liberal idiot though. Guilt by association and all that.

Not necessarily (an idiot, that is). It’s just that if the two Joe B’s were the same guy, there’d be an interesting Jekyll-Hyde thing goin’ on (one’s side of the political/cultural divide pretty much determines who’s Jekyll and who’s Hyde).

They say Democrats shop at Target and Republicans shop at Wal-Mart. Just thought I’d mention it.

Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 03 05 at 08:15 PM • permalink

143. Levi’s jeans, for their sponsoring of the Goo Goo Dolls anti-gunowner ‘denim wall’ tour, and their teen lesbian billboards here in Sydney some years ago. We won’t buy any Levi’s products and won’t accept them as gifts.

Posted by Byron in Wahroonga on 2007 03 05 at 08:17 PM • permalink

144. Toni Collette movies, since she’s a shrieking enviro-harridan who is using her influence for evil.

Posted by blandwagon on 2007 03 05 at 08:18 PM • permalink

145. I dodge salad.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 08:20 PM • permalink

146. “That said, the complete ``Get Smart’’ 5 seasons on DVD is superb, best $200 I’ve spent in a while ; the only program that my father laughed at occasionally.  That was the 60s.”

That’s a childhood memory of mine, too.  My father was a busy man and didn’t watch nearly as much TV as most people, but I do remember him laughing at “Get Smart”.  It’s funny what you remember and what you don’t after four decades.  I guess it stood out, though.

As to boycotts, I will never give my money to TIME or Newsweek magazine again.  And when I get calls asking me to subscribe to the New York Times I just laugh.  I tell the callers that although I know it’s just their job to sell subscriptions (and they probably don’t care one way or the other) that I’d rather put a hot poker in my eye than give money to those people.  Sometimes the caller laughs good naturedly like they understand.

When it’s time for new tires, I won’t be putting Michelins on my car like the last one.

I boycott “The Daily Show” because I’ve had my fill.

And thanks for the tip, RK.  I’m boycotting carbon offsets, too.  The only carbon offset I’m interested in is the one that offsets me from Point A to Point B (also known as gasoline or petrol.)

Posted by kcom on 2007 03 05 at 08:21 PM • permalink

147. Oh, and just an observation.  Webdiary, based on Tim’s reports, is continuing its principled boycott of profitability and a sound business plan.  More power to ‘em.

Posted by kcom on 2007 03 05 at 08:25 PM • permalink

148. Actually, anything that is flogged as “lo fat”, “reduced kilojoules” or “lite”- I figure if I’m paying for it, I might as well get the full whack. Also any product such as fuel etc that is promoted as “green”, seeing as every greenie and/or hippy I ever have the misfortune to clap eyes on is virtually immobile and lethargic, not the sort of performance I want from benzina. Ditto for “low impact”- I’m a fat bastard, it’s cost me a lot of money to become a fat bastard, and I want my moneys worth.
    Any company that describes itself as an “ethical investment”/ “enviromentally concerned”/ “diversity aware” etc, avoid their products, and moreso their shares like idiots in koala suits with buckets trying to bott change- if they’re farting around paying consultants, bullshit artists and flapdoodles, they’re not maximising products or efficiently producing what the market wants, and are destined for bankruptcy.
    Ditto for anything that has a public sector input, whether it be the yartz, fillum, pitchers or products- anything that has to parasitically siphon its life blood from unwilling wage peons is invariably bollocks.
    I also boycott speed limit signs, speed bumps, roundabouts and traffic lights, especially if there’s no Plod around. More especially after closing time, or when in the third world.
    And Qantas- if I want to be insulted by superannuated harpies and ignored by flouncy pillowbiters, I’ll wear a John Howard shirt to Mardi Gras.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 08:31 PM • permalink

149. Boycotting:
    The Age
    Carbon Credits
    Green Energy
    Apple IPods

Buying or recently bought:
    Lamb - thanks to PETA
    Red meat - thanks to channel 10
    Lego Star Wars II for the xbox 360 - thanks murderous cartoon hating fanatics
    Carlsberg - ditto fanatics
    Full tank of petrol for scenic drive in country VIC - thanks be to the Goracle and Flummery.

Posted by bondo on 2007 03 05 at 08:33 PM • permalink

150. I boycott Toshiba because they sold fancy machine tools to the Soviets during the later stages of the Cold War that allowed the Sovs to build quieter subs.
      I boycott Fuji because I bought a spindle of CDRs that had a rebate and fuji sent me a postcard saying the rebate had been rejected without giving any reason.

Posted by Artki on 2007 03 05 at 08:43 PM • permalink

151. I’m pretty much with Habib.

Qantas is high on my shitlist.

Posted by Scott W on 2007 03 05 at 08:46 PM • permalink

152. And add any artiste who starts to believe their own publicity, and thus belives they are some sort of oracle and qualified to open their piehole and pontificate on matters weightier than their empty head allows- no royalties from me will they see to further inflate their vacuous egos.

(But if it’s a tune or fillum I like, i’ll pirate it and really give it to the man).

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 08:49 PM • permalink

153. This thread highlights a peculiar difference between lefties and righties.

Lefties often tell you they will leave if a preferred candidate is elected but don’t.

Conservatives don’t tell anybody, they just go.

Similarly righties don’t often start campaigns or make a fuss about product boycotts, they just do it.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 05 at 08:54 PM • permalink

154. #30- I boycott this Boycott.

And AMEX, because they’re cunts.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 08:54 PM • permalink

155. #143 Back in ‘94 or so Levi’s pulled their clothing out of truck stops saying they wanted to change their image from working people to the teen pseudolesbo set. Truckers started cutting the labels off and sending them in as a protest. I boycotted them just for their sheer stupidity.

Posted by dean martin on 2007 03 05 at 09:01 PM • permalink

156. Products from Miller Brewing Company.  MGD was my regular simple brew of choice at the local bars, but after Miller kicked in $30K of support to a pro-illegal immigrant meeting, I sadly developed a taste for Bud Light.

BTW, there are a several cinematic products I openly avoid as well, but that has more with feeling so badly ripped off from previous purchases (e.g., movies with/by Ben Stiller, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich, Luc Besson….).  Let ‘em get their bucks from other people; they don’t get another dime from me.

Posted by Apostic on 2007 03 05 at 09:03 PM • permalink

157. Okay, here’s my list:
    Sony... their rootkit did it for me, but I’d been irritated by the company’s customer-unfriendliness for awhile.  Plus they’re a member of the RIAA.
    Hewlett-Packard... for their lousy business practices:  Spy on your own board?  And on reporters?  Sheesh!  Maybe someday they’ll fire the suits and put the engineers back in charge.  (This cost ‘em sales of several all-in-ones last month.)
    Gannett papers in general, and The Indianapolis Star in particular…  Gannett’s perennial “diversity” push and political correctness got irritating years ago.  And Gannett’s Star management got rid of all the reporters who knew anything, and turned the paper into a mix of day-old wire copy, rewritten press releases, and puffery. The result:  It couldn’t recognize that the city was having a crime wave until somebody tried to burn their building down (not quite, but close).
    The New York Times... The ‘04 election coverage was the last straw.  Which presented a real problem, as the only other general news paper in my market is the above-condemned Star.  (Now I buy the WSJ.)

Can’t say I “boycott” any TV, since I just don’t watch very much (and haven’t, for years).  Similarly, no cable… figured I’d be spending on the order of $10/hour for all the cable I’d watch, and found it not worth it.

I favor:
    Norwegian cheese, and Australian wine!

Posted by Old Grouch on 2007 03 05 at 09:07 PM • permalink

158. I boycott:

- all fairfax publications (including the AFR)

- The Economist since they sold out their libertarian values a few years ago

- all ABC and SBS news and current affairs shows

- any company that promotes itself as ‘green’, into ‘fair trade’ or ‘sustainable’ (NAB and BP in particular)

- The Australian due to the Chulov ambulance hoax and their wholesale swallowing of the IPCC’s latest piece of propaganda summary

- any charity (no matter how worthy) that calls me at home

- Telstra because they’re sh*t

Posted by Art Vandelay on 2007 03 05 at 09:10 PM • permalink

159. Anything French - anything.  If it is something I really need I go out of my way to find a replacement.

Ben & Jerry’s

Progressive Insurance.

Most of the Hollyweird people - Dixie Chicks, Leonard De Caprio, Julia Roberts, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Barbra Streisand, Linda Ronstadt, George Clooney, etc.

CNN and MSNBC and CBS.

Starbucks.

BTW agree with Wronwright and Rebecca on Lebanon.  One of my best friends is a realtor specializing in the historic areas of Dayton and environs and I love it there.  Wonderful people and some beautiful areas.

Pepsi.

Microsoft - I have essentially changed to Linux and am about to get totally out of Windows in the next couple of weeks.

Posted by dick on 2007 03 05 at 09:10 PM • permalink

160. Habib, #148 said it well for me (I think—I didn’t understand all the dialect).  Except I actually prefer “lite” beer.

But no “low salt” Progresso soups.  Cheap bastards!  Put some salt in there!  It needs salt!

Those BP commercials with the sensitive environmental questions (left unanswered) followed by that “Hmm, think about it” music are so annoying.  Gas is fungible, so my avoidance of BP won’t do much.

Also, the Marriott line of hotels.  El noa u smoka.  That’s fine, but their sanctimonious reasons, like the the Ben and Jerry’s sanctimony, pissed me off.

Posted by reese on 2007 03 05 at 09:11 PM • permalink

161. Anything Mitsubishi makes.

Anything from France.

The Age (I cancelled the subscription at work because of their descent into lunacy)

Posted by Jack Lacton on 2007 03 05 at 09:12 PM • permalink

162. Habib, what’s a “flouncy pillowbiter”?

Plod:  Fuzz?  Heat?  The man?

Posted by reese on 2007 03 05 at 09:20 PM • permalink

163. #161- hang on there Jack, Mitsubishi have built some good shit over the years.

But then again....

And add recycled water- when I get on the piss, I don’t want it coming from some other sods syphlitic urethra.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 09:22 PM • permalink

164. Seems to me that Habib has won the thread.

Bravo!

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 05 at 09:26 PM • permalink

165. #136 - I’m happy to boycott Denton, but what is GCA? Geelong Cricket Association? Grains Council of Australia? Garden Centres of Australia? Ground-Controlled Approach?

I also happily boycott anything French - well, with one exception.

Posted by David Morgan on 2007 03 05 at 09:32 PM • permalink

166. #162- a chap who’s light on his feet, good with colours, who is on the other bus, or who bats left-handed; a crafty butcher or an uphill gardner, perhaps even a tailgunner.

As to the other, Mister Plod, the Filth, Old Bill, the Rozzers.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 09:34 PM • permalink

167. All products labeled as organic.

Posted by Lefty Wobbling Right on 2007 03 05 at 09:39 PM • permalink

168. #88- I just tore Phatty a new arsehole, and just as well- I’d say his gargantuan gizzard would be near critical mass and in dire need of venting.

Anthropomorphic warming would have nothing on a cataclism like that, it’d be 9/11 by 10,000,000.

Posted by Habib on 2007 03 05 at 09:41 PM • permalink

169. Burqa.

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 03 05 at 09:42 PM • permalink

170. I’ve stopped buying anything made by Sara Lee since they slagged the Second Amendment by giving a Woman of The Year award (or some such name) to Sarah Brady, for her “Courage.”  A real sacrifice for me since I always loved their chocolate products.

Posted by Bruce Lagasse on 2007 03 05 at 09:48 PM • permalink

171. Any book, film or other media product containing the word “sensitive” in its advertising blurb. I hate sensitive.

Posted by squawkbox on 2007 03 05 at 09:56 PM • permalink

172. I boycott:

paedophiles

terrorists

opulently wealthy socialists who scold little people for being average schlubs

Any appeasers of, or apologists for, any of the above.

So I guess opulently wealthy socialists get a double whammy in Vanguard world.

Posted by Vanguard of the Commentariat on 2007 03 05 at 09:57 PM • permalink

173. #138 RebeccaH -

The Enquirer used to be a good conservative Republican newspaper.  Especially when its opinion page was overseen by Peter Bronson.  One of the finer conservative journalists today.  But ever since they brought in a new publisher and new opinion page editor (Peter moved over to columnist), it has taken a marked turn to the left.  I can barely read it now.

Posted by wronwright on 2007 03 05 at 09:57 PM • permalink

174. GCA = Gun Control Australia

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 05 at 10:01 PM • permalink

175. Islamic reuters as well!

Posted by 1.618 on 2007 03 05 at 10:03 PM • permalink

176. Any product put out under the “Newman’s Own” label of Paul Newman’s company.

Because of their boast that “profits after taxes go to progressive causes.”

Posted by steveH on 2007 03 05 at 10:09 PM • permalink

177. John Mellencamp, whose music I really like, but who has shown himself to be a complete lefty dipshit.

Posted by 68W40 on 2007 03 05 at 10:17 PM • permalink

178. Someone probably said this already, but I will never buy anything that has a sticker on it reading: ‘As Seen on TV’.

Posted by ilibcc on 2007 03 05 at 10:19 PM • permalink

179. Habib, #166,
    !  Thanks…  Asked and answered.  Wow.

Posted by reese on 2007 03 05 at 10:24 PM • permalink

180. All three of our local/regional fishwrappers masquerading as newspapers.  They’re owned by the same pack of socialist morons, and lean so far left that a gentle puff of air would probably push them over.  On the very rare occasion something appears in one of them that I want to read, I visit the relevant website, as I don’t want to give those SOBs a dime if I can help it.

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 03 05 at 10:42 PM • permalink

181. Rittenhouse said: ‘Their notary public turned my 82-year-old mother down for a signature because her driver’s license—her sole form of picture ID—had expired 45 days earlier.’

Sorry for your ma, but the notary was acting as required by his code of ethics and, depending where he was, probably also as required by law.

Notaries are supposed to be sticklers. That’s why a notarized document carries the weight it does.

Boycotting somebody for not cheating is kinda weird.

Posted by Harry Eagar on 2007 03 05 at 10:46 PM • permalink

182. #174 Biwoz, yes, like you ever bought anything from their ‘nutty squirrel’ products!

THE LIBERAL PARTY OF AUSTRALIA.  No more $, no more membership, and now I volunteer for ‘independent lib’ candidates. They found it important to engage in moral posturing at the cost of my freedom and good reputation.

THE NATIONALS.  My attitude to them is as to betrayers.  Tim Fischer (for the furriners, Nationals were once called the Country Party and Tim was their leader and a top bloke in most ways) thought we were funded by ‘NRA millions’, but it was their own members and constituents resigning in unison.

This time I think I may run a campaign for ‘sitting member last’. You could vote in a Parliament entirely composed of Liz’s corgis and they would do a better job than our lot. (I rank the Democrats and Greens so far behind Liz’s corgis as to be unable to dog-whistle them. The corgis would at least cause no active harm)

Posted by ChrisPer on 2007 03 05 at 10:46 PM • permalink

183. Fish.

I don’t believe in eating anything without lungs.

Oh, vegetables.

Posted by Rajan R on 2007 03 05 at 10:47 PM • permalink

184. #1: I love Domino’s. I have a Gold card, where if I buy a large pizza, I get one free. One of the many reasons why I hate Singapore is because the nearest Domino’s is 4 busses away (and Singapore immigration officers get nervous whenever people bring it 6 pizzas).

I should get a car, no?

Donation details here

Posted by Rajan R on 2007 03 05 at 10:53 PM • permalink

185. “Fair Trade” coffee, because I don’t want to drink sludge just because some horribly earnest bunch of greenies think that half-starved subsistence farmers should be encouraged to keep scratching out a meager existence by overproducing lousy coffee on crappy land.

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 03 05 at 10:55 PM • permalink

186. Dick Smith, since he funds the youth socalist group resistance here in oz. His open funding for pro-immigration groups and presenting hinself as having no opinion on the matter till he became “concerned”.

Some good donations some to ratbags.

One of his charities

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2007 03 05 at 11:03 PM • permalink

187. Bank of America, because they’re money-grubbing arseholes.

Sit-and-Sleep and Old Navy because their commercials are so obnoxiously stupid.

All brands of peanut butter because it’s loathsome stuff.

The LA Times for reasons too many list and which you probably could guess anyway.

Any book that has only review blurbs on the back cover (I’ll decide if the thing’s any good thankyouverymuch, I just want a heads-up on the plot).  Also, any book described by anyone as ‘lyrical.’

Cable tv.  In the unlikely event I feel the overwhelming need to watch a bunch of psychopathic mobsters or potty-mouth cowboys, if I’m shelling out $50 bucks a month for it, there had better not be commercials

Starbucks, because that would be a ridiculous price for coffee even if I drank the stuff.

Anything labeled ‘Product of France.’

Posted by Achillea on 2007 03 05 at 11:21 PM • permalink

188. Plastic shower curtains

Posted by geoff on 2007 03 05 at 11:25 PM • permalink

189. Tyson Foods, because of bribing the Clintons while Bill was governor of Arkansas.

France.

Russia, now that Vlad the Empoisoner is Czar.

Volvo and Saab.

Spinach.

Liver.

Posted by Michael Lonie on 2007 03 05 at 11:28 PM • permalink

190. Clingwrap

The worst product ever invented since forms of life evolved from the oceans and survived.

Posted by geoff on 2007 03 05 at 11:29 PM • permalink

191. 1.  Cafe 130, Oxford Street, Leederville, WA - the fat barista bitch serves you as if it is an effing priviliedge to enter the cafe, the coffee isn’t that great, is in an efing glass without a handle, and there aren’t enough chairs.  I go up the road and get pleasant service, good coffee, a seat, and a big cup with a handle for less!!

2.  Virgin - I know Yobbo and Habib have issues with QANTAS but flying transcontinental on Virgin with the Oz equivalent of trailer trash sucks a million times more than doing it on Qantas, where I can get food, booze and a movie for very little extra and the Q Club when I can get a guest pass.

3.  SE Asia (excluding Singapore), in particular Bali/Lombok and Thailand - those pricks have form for trying to kill us westerners - I’m not putting my wife and kid in the way of harm just because the airfares and accom are cheap.

Posted by Razor on 2007 03 05 at 11:40 PM • permalink

192. Ruger.

Posted by Noah D on 2007 03 05 at 11:58 PM • permalink

193. In about 3 years, I WILL be boycotting just about the entire Ivy League: there’s no way I’m wasting a dadgummed dime on their brand of “education” for any of my daughters.

Starbucks sux.

Pretty much any American-made car, at least until they can compete on quality.

Citgo.

Pizza Hut: They screwed up a delivery once.  I called the store, and the manager said he’d send over a free replacement.  The driver delivered the replcement, but wanted me to pay.  I told him his boss said it was free.  He demanded to use my phone to check with his boss, in MY home, and had the conversation in Arabic.  What a presumptuous, arrogant tit.

Heinz ketchup (for obvious reasons).

The MSM.

Posted by Tex Lovera on 2007 03 06 at 12:15 AM • permalink

194. Dot’s hamburger joint in Marine Parade, Kingscliff. The worst hamburgers on the Australian east coast. The “Dot with the Lot” has been investigated by the Chinese Government as a possible method of capital punishment. Various foreign military research groups have also expressed some interest in the product.

Posted by geoff on 2007 03 06 at 12:51 AM • permalink

195. #190 Michael Lonie

Whoa! I’ve been boycotting Tyson for that very reason for so long I plum forgot about it. I haven’t bought anything with a “Tyson” brand in at least 13 years.

Vlad the Empoisoner

LOL! That’s perfect!

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 03 06 at 01:39 AM • permalink

If you want a rifle that looks great and shoots like shit, buy a Ruger.

If you want a rifle that looks like shit and shoots great, buy a Savage,

And if you want a rifle that looks great and shoots great too, buy a Remington.

(Not original; author unknown)

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 06 at 01:49 AM • permalink

197. I boycotted Network Ten when they stopped playing The Shield, mid-season. Now it’s back on again.. so I guess that one’s over; in spite of Cool Aid and everything else. The only reason I watch 10 is for The Shield; same as the only reason I watch 7 is for 24.

It’s the same principle with all films and music for me, too. A lot of the bands I like (particularly Pearl Jam) have sickeningly retarded and very outspoken members, but I just ignore it for the sake of the music. Did all the readers who boycott Leonardo DiCaprio miss out on The Departed?

With regards to the Red Cross; surely donating blood to your local chapter is okay, given that it will actually go to a hospital? It’s not like you’re aiding the enemy by giving the critically ill/injured a little assistance.

Posted by Fiona on 2007 03 06 at 01:53 AM • permalink

198. Also Old Grouch (#157), you mentioned Hewlett-Packard. They’re hiring out the entire venue where I work for a function today.. I’m tempted to enquire about these shoddy business practices.. but I’d probably get fired. Not very hospitable, I suppose.

I also agree with everyone who said Microsoft sucks. People who went out and bought new PCs just so they could run Windows Vista aren’t smart enough to use a computer.

Posted by Fiona on 2007 03 06 at 01:57 AM • permalink

199. The Big Three net work news. (NBC, ABC, CBS)

CNN and most of MSNBC

All the “lets interfere with justice by insuring there’s no such thing as an untainted jury pool” programing on FNC.

Hannity and Colms on FNC.

All subscription news sites on the web.
    All print news (I find what I need listed at FreeRepublic and other sites)

Politeness to leftards and enemy sympathizers. (Being nice to them strikes me as just another form of cowardice. Enemy is enemy and being nice to the enemy is weak).

Anything identified as French or EU or German or from Spain.

I am one of those mmorpg dorks and used to play a lot of online games, but it’s getting near impossible to find a good guild that doesn’t have some loudly leftists chomskylander constantly spouting their idiocy so I’m about to boycott that whole genre just for my own piece of mind.

All product advertised by any newspaper that prints overtly anti-American and/or anti-American military stories (as local readers post the details on various military blogs for our notice)

I kinda go on again off again on PDRC product and distributors. One the one hand, growing prosperity in China is the best insurance against future war with China, on the other hand, I have the general suspicion that much of the profit from such dealings goes directly into the PDRC military coffers.

Boiled ocra. Fried and pickled is ok. Boiled ocra is nothing but a big puddle of snot with green bits.

Posted by Grimmy on 2007 03 06 at 02:33 AM • permalink

200. The ABC News; the classical music is beautiful though.

Posted by Forester on 2007 03 06 at 03:15 AM • permalink

201. Any movie with Michael Caton in it.  What a turd.

Posted by mr creosote on 2007 03 06 at 04:55 AM • permalink

202. Produce/products from islamic or islamic majority countries are out. ANY halal certified food. If I find out your company donates to or supports crap like ‘gun control’, terrorist boosting or any of the admittedly lesser but still dubious sociological shit people are frantically rebranding every month to camouflage it, you’ve lost my business.

On the other side of the coin, if I can buy an equivalent anything made by Australian, US, Danish, Sth Korea, etc manufacturers at a reasonable trade off I will go out of my way to prefer them over Chinese made goods.

Posted by stahlblume on 2007 03 06 at 05:11 AM • permalink

203. Anything to do with David Koch - he’s a c*nt
    Anyone who supports Muhammed Dawood - he’s a stupid c*nt but not quite as stupid as his stupid c*nt supporters
    3 Mobile/Hutchison Telecom/Orange - bunch-a-c*nts
    Telstra - pack-a-c*nts
    Al Gore - See Muhammed Dawood
    Kevin Rudd - Because he’s a snivelling f*cking know all prat who looks like a chipmunk
    Andrew Denton - c*nt
    Qantas - c*nts
    Formula 1 - boring sh*t
    Soccer - for cry baby p00fters
    American Airlines - c*nts
    American Express - c*nts
    ICRC - Jew killer enablers
    Martin Chulov - useful idiot
    Any company or organisation which labels itself green or environmentally friendly
    Any movie involving any of the following:-
    Toni Collette
    Heath Ledger
    Sacha Baron Cohen
    Michael Moore
    Paying to watch any movie with any of the following:
    Tim Robbins
    Susan Sarandon
    Sean Penn
    Clint Eastwood (new addition)
    Meryl Streep
    Danny Glover

Posted by murph on 2007 03 06 at 05:29 AM • permalink

204. #202 What’d poor old Micky Caton do—apart from being a crap actor and as gay as a meatball?????

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 06 at 05:57 AM • permalink

Tsk, tsk, Murph—I think “lady’s front bottom” are the words you were looking for, not c*nt.

Addendum: Just read your list—no, you’re right, c*nt IS the word you needed. :D

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 06 at 05:59 AM • permalink

206. New Scientist Magazine. It used to be a good weekly read of the latest scientific and technological developments and controversies around the world but now it’s just a global warm enviro-shill.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 03 06 at 06:50 AM • permalink

207. New Scientist
    The Lancet
    The Toronto (red) Star
    The CBC
    The New York Times

I read the Age and the Grauniad occassionally because you people keep posting about them :-)

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2007 03 06 at 06:52 AM • permalink

208. #205 - go back a few years to when the planning was being done to build a rail line to Bondi.  Up pop a bunch of local “celebrities” who lead protests against the building of the line, Caton amongst them.

They hated the line because it would allow plebs and westies to visit the beach in greater numbers, which offended them greatly.  No smelly hoi polloi allowed at their beach.

Caton really got up my nose as he reprised his line from “The castle” - something like, “Tell them they’re joking” when talking about making it easier for battlers and their families to visit the beach.  He made a stack of money playing a battler fighting the establishment, and there he is, as the establishment, sticking it up the battlers with the line that made him famous!

Fuck him and the dildo he rode in on.

(Personally, I don’t want to see any more ugg boots, mullets and flannel shirts at Bondi, but I wouldn’t have the gall to stand on stage with a bunch of lefty luvvie millionaires and protest against public transport).

Posted by mr creosote on 2007 03 06 at 07:00 AM • permalink

209. Citgo, because Hugo Chavez owns it.

Subway, after the ad series they ran in Germany mocking 9/11.

Samuel Adams, after the promotional campaign they ran in NYC where people won beer by having sex in church vestibules.

Daimler-Chyrsler, after the TV commercial in which the little girl finds out that Mommy and Daddy have been humping in the back seat of the Chrysler Concord.

General Motors, because of Dad’s 1974 Vega and 1978 Monza.

Posted by Baby M on 2007 03 06 at 07:30 AM • permalink

210. Hello Kitty.

I’ve become the ‘boss’. I told people I was going to erect an HK face with a line through it at the front gate.

They know I’ll do it too.

Posted by Nic on 2007 03 06 at 08:09 AM • permalink

211. #207 New Scientist

Good call - it’s a shit-rag.

Posted by ThinAndBritish on 2007 03 06 at 08:21 AM • permalink

212. Oh, I forgot.  Hilton Hotels.  I don’t want a dime of my hard-earned middle-class money going to that skanky ho, Paris.

Elizabeth
    Imperial Keeper

Posted by Elizabeth Imperial Keeper on 2007 03 06 at 11:01 AM • permalink

213. Did all the readers who boycott Leonardo DiCaprio miss out on The Departed?

I don’t boycott DiCaprio, but you couldn’t pay me to see a steaming pile of nihilistic nonsense like The Departed.  Just seeing the trailers was enough to warn me off.

Posted by Achillea on 2007 03 06 at 12:39 PM • permalink

214. La Shish restaurants, owner fled the country after it was discovered he was using profits to fund hizbollah.

Posted by aaron_ on 2007 03 06 at 12:41 PM • permalink

215. SBC, because they used to be Ameritech, and there’s no getting around that.

Posted by aaron_ on 2007 03 06 at 12:44 PM • permalink

216. sanity
    good grammar and spelling
    winning trades
    spyware free computers
    you know, the usual

Posted by yojimbo on 2007 03 06 at 12:45 PM • permalink

217. addendum in progress

anything that makes Andrea angry

Posted by yojimbo on 2007 03 06 at 12:52 PM • permalink

218. I’m usually pretty much in agreement with Murph on most things but that F1 comment in # 204 has got to go!

Posted by yojimbo on 2007 03 06 at 12:57 PM • permalink

219. Progressive Auto Insurance.  The chairman Peter Lewis is into spending his money on the same causes as Soros.

Posted by RyanOH on 2007 03 06 at 01:00 PM • permalink

220. I boycott Total/Fina/Elf & CitCo
    George Clooney, Susan Sarandon, Babs, Alec Baldwin, Meathead and the Dixie Chix, Sean Penn, Michael Moore, Al Franken, Danny Glover.
    Norinco
    Ben and Jerry’s, Heinz & Tyson
    The Independent & The Guardian
    The New York Times & The LA Times
    The Kansas City (Red) Star & The Strib
    CBS news
    Bean pies
    Blood diamonds & Blood sausages

I buy a lot more Ozplonk, Danish cheese &  British real ales than I did 10 years ago.

Posted by Carl H on 2007 03 06 at 03:23 PM • permalink

221. #202 #205

Michael Caton was lead scare campaigner against the new research reactor at Lucas Heights and never let science get in the way of any of his pronouncements.

The degree of his involvement is unclear, but he was in close proximity during a Greenpeace protest at Lucas Heights that prevented the delivery of pain relieving agents to people dying of bone cancer, just before Christmas.

Apart from that - top bloke.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 03 06 at 06:41 PM • permalink

222. 222

Thanks Mr Creosote and Margos Maid—puts him in a whole different light ....

Posted by BIWOZ on 2007 03 06 at 08:38 PM • permalink

223. Body Shop et al…becuase “ethical shopping” is a load of hooey.

Citgo: funds Chavez

Posted by Andrew Ian Dodge on 2007 03 07 at 06:52 AM • permalink

224. Books published by Random House & Penguin - because anyone who gets into bed with the Moore-Coulter Axis of Stupid is, by definition, a diseased slut with no standards whatsoever.  Since I settled down with the better half, I don’t do that kind of thing.

All Coles Group stores - because if I wanted to be patronised by surly cretinous teenagers who might as well have ‘f**k off’ tattooed on their foreheads, I’d have become a school teacher.  Any retailer who doesn’t understand - or care - that they’re in a highly competitive, service-based industry deserves to fail.

Posted by Craig Ranapia (OtherPundit) on 2007 03 07 at 09:06 AM • permalink

225. Is not shopping at an “ethical shopping” store “ethical non-shopping?”

Posted by Matt Moore on 2007 03 07 at 09:19 AM • permalink

226. “SBC, because they used to be Ameritech, and there’s no getting around that.”

I won’t go near Bank of America because they bought out the regional bank NationsBank which had previously bought out a more local bank called C&S which I still loathe to this day, even though it doesn’t exist.  They treated me like dirt when I tried to get a simple checking account upon my new arrival in the city.  I figure that taint is now part of Bank of America.  You can’t just get rid of that sort of thing.  It’s in there somewhere.  And, as aaron_ says, there’s no getting around that.

Posted by kcom on 2007 03 07 at 10:15 AM • permalink

227. Has anyone mentioned Benneton?

Posted by miriams ideas on 2007 03 07 at 12:26 PM • permalink