<< SITE MOVED ~ MAIN ~ WEEK ONE >>

DAY ONE

All suggestions/comments/criticism taken on board. Moderation (unavoidable at a mainstream site) will be made speedier. Solutions will be found. Justice will be delivered!

Remember, we’re only 24 hours or so into this. Don’t fear the newness. Only a few years ago my site had no comments facility at all; I used to get slammed for that, too. And later for allowing too many comments. Now, for not posting comments quickly enough ...

We’ll sort things out. Might take a little while, but still.

Posted by Tim B. on 05/12/2008 at 10:40 AM
  1. Tim, we’re still in a state of shock; and worried about losing touch with our mates.  We’re definitely fearing the newness.

Posted by Ubique on 2008 05 12 at 10:53 AM • permalink

2. I think the biggest concern we have is the risk of loss of community:  we’ve been a pretty rowdy bunch in the past, been able to say what’s on our minds, and are fearful of what might be lost.

I also profusely thank Andrea for allowing us a refuge.

Also, where the !%#$ did all the mead go?  After dealing with an idiot doctor last week, I sure as heck need some!

Elizabeth
    Imperial Keeper

Posted by Elizabeth Imperial Keeper on 2008 05 12 at 11:05 AM • permalink

3. Good luck with getting used to the new system Tim. It’ll take us all some time.

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 05 12 at 11:28 AM • permalink

4. Please keep in mind that although your posts were witty and priceless, albeit few in number, this blog was built on the comments.  This community has essentially crafted a unique situation.  I don’t know any other like it.

You lose that when you go over to a newspaper blog.  Yes, you’ll gain much too, such as a positive position with your superiors.  I’m sure they’ll like the hits to the web site.  And I do realize you probably have little choice in this.

But I can tell it won’t be the same as this blog.  For one thing, it’s not enough that moderation is being done.  I detest 95% of the trolls and I’d just as soon they’d be eradicated.  You can’t do that on a newspaper blog.

But it is your right.

Posted by wronwright on 2008 05 12 at 11:44 AM • permalink

5. Tim, fancy pulling the plug on my birthday.  My laptop and I are almost too old for this migration thing, the new page is loading at a glacial pace.  I’ll give it another shot tomorrow and see how it works.

And many thanks to Andrea who’s been a swell administrator.

Posted by Crossie on 2008 05 12 at 11:44 AM • permalink

6. Down with newness!

In fact I’m going to boycott newness and start rereading the 2002 archives…. heh Michael Moore what an idiot! Isn’t Margo hilarious?

Posted by Ross on 2008 05 12 at 11:46 AM • permalink

7. Lose the Google ads!

Posted by swassociates on 2008 05 12 at 11:47 AM • permalink

8. Wronwight, I agree, the repartee was/is swift, immensely amusing and merciless at times, everthing that makes it so enjoyable.  Tim, is it possible to keep both blogs running?  Promise not to use any bolds or italics.

Posted by Crossie on 2008 05 12 at 11:52 AM • permalink

9. Well, I for one welcome our new MSM overlords, and I remind them that as a trusted commenter I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground ink caves.

I left a cluebatting comment to a Warmenista earlier. Can’t seem to get on the site now, but I used the word “bollocks” in the comment, so it’ll be a good test.

Cheer up, Tim, if people didn’t love you and what you’ve done here so much, they wouldn’t be so panicky. It’s like seeing your girlfriend talking with a good-looking dude. Until you find out he’s her gay friend, you assume the worst and get angry.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 11:54 AM • permalink

10. #9 Your comment is up there Dave, complete with “bollocks”.

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 05 12 at 11:59 AM • permalink

11. Charge extra for people who write in bold.

Posted by Zonc on 2008 05 12 at 12:05 PM • permalink

12. Well, that was a short trip:

Disallowed Key Characters$Version

Posted by Big Dan on 2008 05 12 at 12:40 PM • permalink

13. Oh, no! We’re like the Comment Section of the Damned!

Actually, I posted one comment over there, and it made it through the tomahawk-wielding gauntlet of moderators, and I’ve got another one, presumably being mulled over.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 12 at 01:22 PM • permalink

14. Power
    /off
    /steals the bold tag reserve fund

There is a chill wind blowing!

Posted by 13times on 2008 05 12 at 02:03 PM • permalink

15. Yes, as Big Dan pointed out, there is nothing at the new site except the cryptic error message “Disallowed Key Characters$Version”. I can’t say I’m impressed with the new regime. Andrea would never have allowed that sort of thing.

Posted by sundog on 2008 05 12 at 02:11 PM • permalink

16. Ya Tim, I’m hearing a lot about change here in the States too.

I pray that yours turns out a bit better than mine.

Posted by gajim on 2008 05 12 at 02:17 PM • permalink

17. Meh, if anyone here had to navigate the multiple, customized software packages that I am forced to use at my office merely to do routine tasks, they would go bonkers*.

The Daily Telegraph set up is a cake walk in comparison.

But Elizabeth has the right of it.  This is like moving to a new neighborhood.

===================
    *:  How do you know that I am not bonkers as a result of my job?  Heh heh heh heh…..

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 05 12 at 02:59 PM • permalink

18. This isn’t one of those Hope/Change deals, is it?

Posted by Harry Bergeron on 2008 05 12 at 03:40 PM • permalink

19. Moderation ... will be made speedier. Solutions will be found. Justice will be delivered!

This sounds familiar. How about,

“We need to internalize this idea of excellence!”

“Everyone should try to realize their full potential!”

“It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun!”

and for dealing with the trying times while Tim works out the kinks:

“Pot ... helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack though!”

Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2008 05 12 at 04:02 PM • permalink

20. I don’t see why we can’t just barricade ourselves in here - you know, like the students at the military school did in that movie, Taps.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 12 at 04:07 PM • permalink

21. It’s not going to work keeping this blog open as well. It would just become the “Which Blair Project”.

Posted by ooh honey honey on 2008 05 12 at 04:29 PM • permalink

22. I’m with ya, Paco! Richard, help me move that desk, please. Hell no! We won’t go! Hell no! We won’t go! Hell….what? They have Tim and tomahawks?!? I can’t say “he..”, you know, that word! Paco, you go first.

Posted by Deborah Leigh on 2008 05 12 at 04:30 PM • permalink

23. #4 “I detest 95% of the trolls and I’d just as soon they’d be eradicated”

And by “eradicated” he doesn’t mean simple barring from comments. Perhaps with the income from advert-hits on the new site, the VRWC can buy more Uzis.

Posted by ThinAndBritish on 2008 05 12 at 05:17 PM • permalink

24. Newness?

Ahhh, *SHINY*.

But is it utilitarian?

HMMMMMM?

We love your site, Tim, but it’s the people who make it a good place to be… Without those comments it’s just a column highly polished column (or two - ??!!??!!!) with a notice board.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 05:19 PM • permalink

25. 22 May Brekkie Creek after 4:30pm

A wake?

And maybe a Welcome?

Up, up and… werk.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 05:20 PM • permalink

Forgot:

“moving forward”

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 05:28 PM • permalink

27. It would be good to keep the “strike” feature, which greatly helps our funny people.  Expect the general level of spelling to revert to pre-literacy standard (some of the spelling on Bolta’s blog would disgrace a blowfly.)
    And expect to lose the sense of community -there was something comforting in being part of a group who enjoyed preaching to the converted.

BTW… nasty in China…AGW-induced, do you think

Posted by Rod C on 2008 05 12 at 05:33 PM • permalink

28. It would just become the “Which Blair Project”.

Nice!

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 05:57 PM • permalink

29. OK, I see we have some worried people.

I agree that we may - MAY - lose a bit of the community feel. But for God’s sake, people, since when are we communitarians?!  Act like the RWDBs that you are!

Me, I’m looking at the new site, with its open access for leftards, as a target-rich environment.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 06:02 PM • permalink

30. Target rich, yeah.
    But they scuttle away when you have to wait for moder’kenration and you can’t get them.
    Most trolls just hit and run, like old Divide from here.
    Don’t care about anything anyone else says, just has a spray of kool aid acid and run.
    Any who stay to chat are welcome. But they’re few and far between.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:05 PM • permalink

31. So Tim, just a question I’ve been wondering about since reading your news yesterday.  What will happen if you leave your job at the Tele?  There will be no blog at all.

Posted by Westietoo on 2008 05 12 at 06:07 PM • permalink

32. I knew a gnu that hated all that was new ...

Posted by Adriane on 2008 05 12 at 06:08 PM • permalink

33. O/T (ha ha ha)
    why doesn’t that stupid woodpecker go and have speech lessons?

she’s on the radio now sounding like she’s talking and crapping at the same time.

oh wait!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:15 PM • permalink

34. #26—Good one

And, of course:

“Hope—Hope in the face of difficulty. Hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope!”

“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”

Posted by Bruce Rheinstein on 2008 05 12 at 06:15 PM • permalink

35. #7 I expect the google ads pay for the moderator.

My big concern is that this place is a 24 hour a day conversation between like minded Right Wing Death beasts. How else are we to craft our Vast Conspuiracy?

With “moderation” will come delay.

My littler concern is that I have to enter my bloody name and e-mail address each time grrr.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 12 at 06:22 PM • permalink

36. Bruce, lay of the Obamead, it’s more addictive than absynthe.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 12 at 06:23 PM • permalink

37. Example:
    Madonna King on ABC612 is trying to rip the water minister a new one over the rising price of water (he’s telling us they have to increase 100% the price of water because SEQlders want it).

Over on the other blog, how long until that comment appears (I’m not going to bother putting it up there).

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 06:37 PM • permalink

38. Okay, maybe I overdid it with all that funeral march/end of the world stuff.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 06:38 PM • permalink

39. Perhaps this blog could hang around for a while to relay these notices about how the new blog is shaping. Response time is everything. We’ll know from what is written here whether the new one is Blairish or Boltish. If it becomes a larger forum full of the sort of people who comment on all the other News Ltd. blogs then it will be read only the items, not the comments.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 06:40 PM • permalink

40. Hi MM. Love your work!

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 06:41 PM • permalink

41. kae - good morning and yes, you’re right about all that.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 12 at 06:43 PM • permalink

42. Hey blogstrop - right back at you.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 06:49 PM • permalink

43. Suggestions??

Ok then
    Number the posts, it makes it much easier if people refer to another comment.

Speed for comments going up (nag nag I know)

As annoying as it may be F**k would be better than losing the whole post to bad language.

Avatars if possible

A 2 tired comments system, where regular posters dont have to log in or be moderated after they reach a certain number of trouble free posts.

Oh and import Andrea, shes not that big so you could probably smuggle her in in your carry on luggage.

Posted by thefrollickingmole on 2008 05 12 at 06:51 PM • permalink

44. Moderation (unavoidable at a mainstream site)

Err, why is it unavoidable ?

Moderation is control and thus is the enemy of fun in all aspects of life.

Next time you get on the piss, just have one beer and go home.

Next time you have a shocker hangover, just have one aspirin.

Next time you go salt flat racing, don’t go over 60kph.

I’ve no doubt that you’ll do your best, however, it seems that the keys points of differentiation between this blog and Bolt, such as registered commenters, instant posting and pretty much free for all comments seem to have been ignored.

As Mr H Beeb pointed out yesterday, it’s a bit rich for a moderator to stomp on a comment for naughty language and then go home and turn the telly on and listen to that pommy chef call some poor kitchen slave a worthless fuckwit a hundred times cause he overcooked a chop.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 06:52 PM • permalink

45. #38 MM

No worries MM, everyone gets maudlin when their dog gets run over, specially when it’s me that ran the poor bastard over.

But the next day, it’s back to the pound to get a nutherie !

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 12 at 06:59 PM • permalink

46. An academic friend recently reuturned from Europe and the UK (holiday). She brought back a magnet for me (I have a collection of them on my whiteboard).
    The magnet says:

Si tu obéis à toutes les régles, tu manqueras tous les plaisirs

Which roughly translates to

When you always follow the rules you take the joy out of life.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 07:01 PM • permalink

47. I’m sad that there’ll be no more Andrea. Her Administration was wise and witty and her comments were always strict but fair. Can’t she run for four more years?

Posted by arrowhead ripper on 2008 05 12 at 07:25 PM • permalink

48. Tim,

I’ve been checking out the new site but it makes me nervous.

Many regulars are there but it’s already brought Janine I out of her Darlinghurst cave, making my stomach sink (and churn, for that matter).  Like Phatty Adams, Janine reached all her conclusions at two years of age and hasn’t adjusted to any reality since.

Like paco at #20, I’m all for barricading ourselves here.  Can’t you at least get the Tellie to subcontract Andrea and get her to bring out the whip there as well?

Posted by ann j on 2008 05 12 at 07:43 PM • permalink

49. Moderation (unavoidable at a mainstream site)
    In other words, some committee decided that moderation was essential, kind of like the letters pages in the “normal” news outlets.

But it’s not necessary. There are plenty of legal precedents now for the policy of removing undesirable posts in a timely manner. There are some many sites that don’t have moderation. Look at Yahoo Answers. It’s owned and run by a Fortune 500 company (Yahoo!) and it’s patrolled like Bondi Beach on Boxing Day. But it isn’t moderated.

Moderation, to use computer science lingo, isn’t “scalable.” Once there are a certain number of users, it becomes unfeasible.

Anyway, that’s the end of my rant. There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that Tim can do about it. You have to pick your battles, and that one has a pretty low probability of getting anywhere.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 07:48 PM • permalink

50. What’s done is done. Tim possibly needs our support and numbers, move on, move over or make other arrangements i suppose.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 12 at 07:52 PM • permalink

51. “To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.  Moderation is for monks.”

Then again,

“TANSTAAFL.”  Dude’s gotta make a buck.

Posted by reese on 2008 05 12 at 08:36 PM • permalink

Is that it?
    Jeez, Reese, wait until I see the husband of a French speaking colleague… good with the conversational stuff, useless with the transaltion!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 08:42 PM • permalink

Oops
    Nevermind.

About moderation. I’m a non-practising Methodist. I always said that if I ever changed religion I’d go for Roman Catholic. I can identify with their “Everything in Moderation” idea.

(What’s moderation mean?*)

*that’s a joke.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 09:12 PM • permalink

54. Day One, or Year Zero?

I see Lindsay Tanner’s blog is coming along nicely.

Lindsay Tanner – a man of substance.

Posted by monaro on 2008 05 12 at 09:13 PM • permalink

55. Preview was my friend…(sob)

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 09:26 PM • permalink

56. Something for the fashionistas

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 09:33 PM • permalink

57. Margosmaid, I have found your chopper pilot on the glaciers at Tizona’s.

Tim, good luck with your new found bloggers.

Posted by gin&tonic on 2008 05 12 at 09:43 PM • permalink

58. O/T

I’d like to mention before this merry band disbands that in a fortnight I take my first ever trip to the US. It fact it will be my first ‘overseas’ trip for 25 years (you can’t really count NZ as overseas).

I’ll being staying with a friend I knew from Ford, starting when our kids were toddlers (they’ve long since left the family home).  It’s a week near Hot Springs AR followed by a week at his business townhouse in Austin TX.

One outing will be to the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock.  Whatever one’s views are on the Clintons it looks like an interesting place to visit.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 12 at 09:51 PM • permalink

59. #4 - Wronwright - Please keep in mind that although your posts were witty and priceless, albeit few in number, this blog was built on the comments.  This community has essentially crafted a unique situation.  I don’t know any other like it.

Spot-on. That’s what I’m down-in-the-mouth about.

As my wife said, “He’s sold out and gone to the other side”.

Granted, however, that it must have been difficult to keep a private blog going as well as a full-time job. Possible conflicts of interest too.  We know posts were thin when a deadline loomed. There’ll be a plethora of posts at the new venue.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 12 at 09:57 PM • permalink

60. Too bad you’re torpedoing a wonderful blog. Selling out to the MSM sucks. The years of enjoying the spontaneity of this blog and its commenters are over. I can understand why you’re doing it, but it still sucks.

Oh well. So who’s left that hasn’t sold out?

Posted by goldsmith on 2008 05 12 at 10:01 PM • permalink

61. #20 - I don’t see why we can’t just barricade ourselves in here - you know, like the students at the military school did in that movie, Taps.

Or if your background is British inspiration would be Lindsay Anderson’s If.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 12 at 10:01 PM • permalink

62. #58: One outing will be to the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock.

Don’t miss the adult reading room.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 12 at 10:07 PM • permalink

63. Solution:  A simple mirror site!

Whatever Tim B posts is copies to the mirror, and it retains the free-for-all commentary that has made Blair’s place great.

Of course, employment conditions/copyright/ other miscellaneous liability issues may well preclude this.

For instance, it is simple to set up a mirror blog - however, without Tim’s approval (and management approval), mirroring his posts to the DT would be a breach of copyright, and subject the mirrorer to all sorts of legal angst.

I think that this is the end of an era.

Fuck.

Posted by Kaboom on 2008 05 12 at 10:13 PM • permalink

64. The gathering will be thursday of next week, in Sydney.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 12 at 10:13 PM • permalink

And there’ll be one at the Brekkie Creek in Brissie. 22/5.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 10:16 PM • permalink

66. Look, Tim deserves our thanks, our support, and (if more filthy lucre is coming his way) our congratulations.

It’s been hella fun here, and now it’s time to move on. Sure, the moderation lag at the new site is a bother, but I predict most of us will find our way there as regular as always, and a new community will form.

And here’s a nice feature of the new blog: nested comments. So we can have nicely-sorted conversations now.

Buck up, little campers!

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 10:26 PM • permalink

67. I think we should put the tissues away. This is Tim’s blog. He gave us a forum to robustly discuss issues with others of similar mind. Andrea gave of herself too. We should be thankful and congratulate Tim on converting his blog to something he can make something of, whether that be $$$ or career wise. Good on him.

Posted by lingus4 on 2008 05 12 at 10:28 PM • permalink

68. Very sad Tim - yours is (was) the only site that I regularly visited to read the comments as much as your posts.  Blair posts were often simply “leaping-off” points for the pithy remarks and observations made by the blairites from around the globe.

Moderated comments open to the masses simply reduces the commentary to mindless blather (I’d like to think we generally provided sensible blather).

In short - thanks for the blog over the last few years AND PLEASE RECONSIDER - we need this blog to continue.

DOWN WITH NEWNESS!

Posted by Vincent Gerome on 2008 05 12 at 10:46 PM • permalink

69. #21 :)

“Which Blair Project”

... becoming the Blair Bitch Project?

Thanks for several years of top-shelf interactive infotainment, Tim.

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 12 at 10:52 PM • permalink

70. Actually, my favorite part of timblair.net is Tim Blair. And it appears the new Tim Blair blog has heavy Tim Blair content. Win!

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 12 at 11:25 PM • permalink

71. I kinda like the .net

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 12 at 11:56 PM • permalink

72. no need to bookmark .net

Posted by kae on 2008 05 12 at 11:58 PM • permalink

73. Starting my stop watch…now!

Posted by BB77 on 2008 05 13 at 12:11 AM • permalink

74. Cripes, that was near instant.

Who’s complaining about speed?

Posted by BB77 on 2008 05 13 at 12:12 AM • permalink

75. #64 Daddy Dave

Bugger. I’m in Sydney the week after that.

Posted by MarkL on 2008 05 13 at 12:26 AM • permalink

76. Well, It’s been 24 hours and the Doc reckons I’m doing fine. Next week he’s releasng the strap on the jacket one notch and after that he says we can talk about removing the lithium IV. Probably the hardest thing has been typing this with my forehead.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 13 at 12:39 AM • permalink

77. Look, Tim deserves our thanks, our support, and (if more filthy lucre is coming his way) our congratulations.

Amen!

Posted by The_Real_JeffS on 2008 05 13 at 01:19 AM • permalink

78. Look, Tim deserves our thanks, our support, and (if more filthy lucre is coming his way) our congratulations

Ditto. The move is showing some true colours perhaps.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 13 at 01:22 AM • permalink

79. #76 IT

Are you sure that Dr has been looking at the right end ?

Perhaps you are awaiting a happy event ?

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 13 at 01:24 AM • permalink

No Nic, the move is showing how differently we all think about what’s happening.
    True colours? For heaven’s sake!

Anyway, I reckon he’s probably taken a pay cut so that he can blog and get pissed on company time:

Posts may - may - commence after 7.30pm. Drinking certainly will.

He’s not stupid, ya know.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 01:31 AM • permalink

81. #29 Dave S.

Act like the RWDBs that you are!

Thanks Dave. That helped to ground me.

Still…sometimes change truly blows.

Posted by Thomas on 2008 05 13 at 01:45 AM • permalink

82. Agree with Dave S and Lingus4.  More content from Tim Blair can only be a good thing.  Some reactions seem a little over the top…

Posted by 8_8_8 on 2008 05 13 at 01:49 AM • permalink

Hey, 8_8_8, I think you spilt something you ate.

(he he)

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 01:53 AM • permalink

84. You’re reading too much into what I wrote Kae.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 13 at 02:03 AM • permalink

85. I just posted over at the daily telegraph, was well OT, and it took less than a minute. Not too bad.

As for placing gross profanities, maybe we need to develop a code over here that we can refer to, so that we may be properly understood.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 02:30 AM • permalink

86. Thus…Flannery can go and 14g (iii)

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 02:32 AM • permalink

87. When the going gets tough..

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 13 at 02:41 AM • permalink

“I agree that we may - MAY - lose a bit of the community feel”

Sorry to say, but there is no “MAY” about it.

News Ltd blogs simply do not accommodate that kind of environment at present.

What drew many people to this blog (and kept them coming back), was the free and easy exchange of ideas, the chance of an instant riposte.

Whats the point of a cogent or witty remark, when it takes half an hour to appear,
    sometimes far removed from the original post.

Sure the latest system they use, where you can address the actual post, is much better, but the time lag is still there.
    (and judging by Bolta’s blog the lag can even be longer than 30 min.)

The fact that some trolls complained, and never returned, proves only that they had no good argument to put up against seasoned debating warriors.

As to the contents of this blog, even going back a few years, I cannot see why a need for a moderator, apart from removing a few chosen words, which only gave a bit of flavor anyway, and if required we can all exercise a bit of restraint.

I’m sorry to see it go, but it cannot be kept artificially.

A healthy blog needs a new seed (prompt, idea) every day to keep it going.

Cheers

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 13 at 02:54 AM • permalink

89. “Moderation” Well that’s me Fucked.

Posted by Howzat on 2008 05 13 at 02:58 AM • permalink

‘I couldn’t give a flying Flannery’?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 03:15 AM • permalink

It all depends of the timing of your post.
    The moderator goes through every thread only so often, maybe 10 or 15 min. intervals, if you happen to post just before h/sh gets to your thread, you are lucky.

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 13 at 03:18 AM • permalink

92. Kaboom @ #63:

Solution:  A simple mirror site!

Sure, reproducing the blog posts in full would be a legal problem ... but what about a blog like this one where each new post on the News Ltd blog was merely linked to in a new post here (or wherever), with the comments appearing underneath as per usual?

It would be kind of like a (positive) “Blair Watch”. Any dedicated fan could do this, it wouldn’t even need to be “official”.

Posted by Stumps on 2008 05 13 at 03:25 AM • permalink

Oops, my apologies, Nic!
    Sometimes I’m obtuse.
    Like a plank.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 03:48 AM • permalink

94. Tis a shame, but needs must as employment demands.

I posted a comment over the new blog, but my conclusive proof (well, rank speculation) of a link between Gordon Ramsay, brussel sprouts, Antarctica and todays federal budget was clearly too much for the moderators.

Posted by phil_b on 2008 05 13 at 03:52 AM • permalink

95. Hey, I wonder how many 1.618’s will be posting at the new site?

Not to mention other “multiple personality” disorders who will find the new site a great place to talk with themselves.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 03:56 AM • permalink

96. # 95 - 1.618 posts at Andrew Bolt. Probably not an issue.

Posted by walterplinge on 2008 05 13 at 04:23 AM • permalink

97. I’m not really talking about 1.618, more your “1.618s”.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 04:26 AM • permalink

98. Look, can’t you keep this little blogsite of yours as a sort of private changing room/steam room/semantically orgiastic retreat?

When the outside Telegraph blog becomes too full of respectability and constraints, we could come here and relaa-a-a—ax.

Naturally, not being a mead-type (or is that Mead-ia type, ho ho)I’ll be heading for the lime-juice with my outsize glass, feet cosily encased in spa slippers and a pink linen sarong.

Posted by carpefraise on 2008 05 13 at 04:28 AM • permalink

99. By crikey, there’s a terrific amount of pornography to look at on the net. And here I was thinking it was a medium for classical liberals, unreconstructed Tories, libertarians and communists to lay waste to each other. I wonder what per chance I will discover tomorrow? Thank you for unshackling me, Blair.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 13 at 04:38 AM • permalink

100. Andrea’s set us up a new playroom.

Mead, Tardis, spear, the lot.

Posted by SandiM on 2008 05 13 at 05:25 AM • permalink

101. #99 IT Stop it, You’ll go blind.

Posted by Contrail on 2008 05 13 at 06:47 AM • permalink

102. Not much budgetty bloviating thus far- personally I predict a brain drain unprecendented since the last bucket-bong zombie attack of the munchies, myself a possible candidate. If these fuckers think that hosing high-earners who have mobile qualifications will encourage them to hang about and be hoovered so some amateur marxists can further the failed experiment that is the welfare state, they’re stupider than Wayne Swan certainly gives all the appearances and impressions of being.

Expect also an explosion of mooching from all quarters- the lipless lounge lizard and his rello from the special school have let loose they’ve got a lazy 40 billion of other peoples money, and nary a clue on what to spend it on; a couple of rubes from up ‘Nam way’s jsut blown into town with their wallets hanging out of their pants, and the spivs are circling.It’d be a hoot to watch if only it was their cash that was about to be traded for some magic beans, shares in the Storey Bridge and trainfares for a blubbering urchin whose sister just had an embolism in Bundy*.

*A mate of mine got hornswaggled with that one on Sunday night to the tune of $60. If it had’ve been me I would’ve said “No need to rush, I believe Dr Patel’s back in residence”.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 13 at 07:45 AM • permalink

103. Tim, please suggest this to your overlords:

1) Allow more than a couple of links in the text. Right now, if you try that, you get an error message (which is actually a rudimentary anti-spamming measure). The messages are moderated, so it shouldn’t matter if someone adds a bunch of links.

2) An “email when this is published” thing like on some of the other News blogs.

3) A PREVIEW button! This will stop idiots doing things [bold]like this…

Posted by Dan Lewis on 2008 05 13 at 08:37 AM • permalink

104. <strike>W</strike>TF?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 08:50 AM • permalink

105. Dan did it.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 08:53 AM • permalink

106. Dan! Perview is your fiend, remember that!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 08:56 AM • permalink

107. Moderation is working far faster over at the new site. 10 min at 11.00pm Sydney time

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 13 at 08:57 AM • permalink

108. Strewth! [/bold] you really did it this time!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 09:00 AM • permalink

109. oh dear, I’ll get it right eventually…

That’s probably because Tim’s doing it?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 09:01 AM • permalink

110. Struck out!

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 09:02 AM • permalink

111. Wonder if SnowConeTone will invite TGGWS’s Martin Durkin onto his new show, Q&A, hmmm ...?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 09:08 AM • permalink

112. I’m sympathizing with all the comments so far, but I think Dave S. is right.  Tim provided us with a fun forum for a lot of years (eons in net time), but he had a rough last year, and he deserves to have some good things going his way.  I’ll miss Andrea’s BDSM moderation, but I’ll be spending more time over at her place than I (shamefully) did before, plus a few other blogs of people who comment here.  And I’ll still be looking in on Tim’s new digs.  There’s still fun to be had if you look in the right places.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 05 13 at 11:28 AM • permalink

113. Kevin Drum notices people drive less with higher gas prices, but misses something just as obvious.

Fuel Efficiency Continues to Decline
    Kevin Drum observes that people respond to higher gas prices by driving less.

He fails to notice that along with the decline in fuel production is a decline in GDP growth.

He also fails to notice that miles driven have decreased much more than fuel production. That’s right, fuel efficiency is declining with higher fuel prices.

According to Kevin, fuel production has declined by .7%. Average Daily Miles Driven have declined by 5%.

Some of this decrease in efficiency is due to increasing population and limited growth of infrastructure. Some may be due to people forgoing long trips to recreational destinations. But none of this comes close to explaining a 5% decline in driving. It’s hard to believe that long recreational drives are a big part of American culture, let alone the greater than 5% of driving necessary to drive down efficiency.

I have my own theory. Markets only perform well when there is good flow of information. Because of people’s misconceptions of what is efficient and how they affect traffic, they are modifying their behavior in counter productive ways.

Popular belief is that people will notice their decreased fuel efficiency and correct their mistakes. However, among other complications, I believe gas prices are no where near high enough to get people to seriously consider the consequences of their driving.

Posted by aaron_ on 2008 05 13 at 11:46 AM • permalink

114. I’ll give it a go; though I would be sad to miss you all commenting even if I don’t so often. And the colourful descriptions - only as emphasis of course.

Posted by stahlblume on 2008 05 13 at 11:49 AM • permalink

115. Long live Andrea!

Posted by Deborah Leigh on 2008 05 13 at 12:36 PM • permalink

116. I remember Tim’s tree-house, the seemingly endless days of horsing around, the laughing, the secret handshake, some sad and a few scary episodes…

But mostly I remember the laughing.

Then it was taken down and we were asked to meet in his mom’s kitchen.

I often wonder what happened to the old gang.

Posted by Tai Chi Wawa on 2008 05 13 at 12:43 PM • permalink

117. can you call my phone?

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 05 13 at 01:06 PM • permalink

118. Uh, oh! Look, ma! The sheriff’s comin’ up the walk with eviction papers in his hand!

Posted by paco on 2008 05 13 at 04:23 PM • permalink

119. I still haven’t bookmarked the new site.
    LA FORCE!!

Posted by ooh honey honey on 2008 05 13 at 04:56 PM • permalink

120. Move noted at the Lav ...

Chief moonbats Mark and Phil manage to contradict themselves within 2 posts, as usual ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 06:09 PM • permalink

121. But I like it here in Shadowland. Paco, ma said to use her rifle! Wronwright’s got the spears! Go get ‘em, boys! Don’t let ‘em take the farm!

Posted by Deborah Leigh on 2008 05 13 at 06:23 PM • permalink

122. #116 And then enjoying pikelets, jam and cream, all washed down by lashings of ginger beer. Those were the days.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 06:33 PM • permalink

123. tch, tch, tch, some bad language this morning over at Tim’s site. There is just a better class of commenter here in the shadowlands.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 06:45 PM • permalink

124. Brekkie Creek
    Thu 22/5
    after 4:30pm
    email me

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 06:52 PM • permalink

Naughties edition:

Tree houses are banned (trees have Rights); mum’s put boy-hating confirmed spinster, Aunty, in charge and so no-one is allowed to climb higher than the disabled kid, peanut-butter sandwices are banned ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 07:29 PM • permalink

Tree houses are also banned because of OH&S issues, what if the kiddies have a fall.
    Tree houses have now been placed on the ground. And all the rosebushes have been ripped out.
    The disabled kid has trouble with stairsa step!
    No fizzy/sugary drinks.
    No meat pies.
    No processed food.

Have fun, Kids!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 08:05 PM • permalink

I recently remarked to a (Public) edumacationalist how I enjoyed a hot dog (frankfurt sandwich, actually) from the tuck shop after Winter Saturdays’ soccer as a kid and was promptly instructed that it is now a ‘blue group’ food, whatever-TF that is?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 08:17 PM • permalink

128. The Sydney meet is delayed by one week so that MarkL can attend.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 13 at 08:20 PM • permalink

129. #117 I can of course call your phone, Ash_, but will it listen?

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 13 at 08:24 PM • permalink

130. Well, I’ve struggled to make 4 posts over the past two days. Very fatiguing. Why do I have to enter my bloody name every time, when everyone already knows it!

I’m heading over to Andrea’s for a drink.

Posted by Wimpy Canadian on 2008 05 13 at 08:28 PM • permalink

1. Disable reply.
    2. Numbered comments.

then you don’t have to re-read thru the whole pile of comments.

Too time consuming.

That’s why a lot of people abandoned left Andrew Bolt’s to the moonbat/goonbat/loonbats.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 13 at 08:32 PM • permalink

132. #130 Wimpy,

we’re having tea at Andrea’s right now.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 08:38 PM • permalink

133. #128 Daddy Dave,

#@$%&#@ Typical flamin’ Canberrans.

Think all of Australia has to rearrange it’s timetable to suit theirs.  ;)

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 08:40 PM • permalink

134. Hey, look at what I found on a site via Andrea’s blog. I was cruisin’ the blog roll and came across this fascinating piece.

Rich Lowry certainly “takes no prisoners”.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 08:49 PM • permalink

135. Don’t you just love the R.O.P.!

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 13 at 08:54 PM • permalink

136. 120 - this is from Mercurius:
    Blair’s blog was the online equivalent of a bunch of pig-rootin’, sister-lovin’ good ol’ boys getting together to suck down some hooch, git riled up, jerk each other off and then find themselves a fag to bash.
    I don’t know about you guys, but after a solid day’s pig-rootin’ and sister-lovin’ I haven’t got the energy to jerk myself off, much less anyone else.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 10:00 PM • permalink

137. Of course, there is nothing wrong with Tim’s new site, and it will probably go from strength to strength.

However, I don’t know if you are feeling it, but the appeal and credibility that comes from posting at the Shadowlands is hard to resist. You don’t have to wear the uniforms that people in the future have to wear.

In the Shadowlands, we live in the shadows for there are shadows across this land - in the land of shadows. We don’t have to wear no uniform or get weighed down by heavy rules.

And while we don’t have to wear no uniform, I would just suggest we start to look like this for we are Shadowlanders, and we are proud, and that is exactly the sort of thing you would expect Shadowlanders to wear.

We also probably need some guidelines, to keep the riff raff out - for example, inappropriate wearing of futuristic uniforms, and some form of moderation.

So - who is ready to join us in - the ShadowLands!!!!

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 10:00 PM • permalink

138. MM, those uniforms look like another product from the mighty Dorcus line of menswear.
    Not for me. Not at all.
    They will take my black leather jockstrap from my cold dead… er, fingers.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 10:03 PM • permalink

139. #136 Swinish

Yeah, caught that.

The usual far-Left bile and put-downs, very ‘progressive’?

If one is a confessed voyeur of activity as described, what does it say of oneself?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 10:11 PM • permalink

140. 139 - ‘find themselves a fag to bash’ - somewhat revealing, that.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 13 at 10:14 PM • permalink

141. #138 Actually, now you mention it, probably not such a good idea.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 13 at 10:18 PM • permalink

Noted, also: tinged with masochism?

Echoes of David Marr-diGras?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 10:29 PM • permalink

143. - ‘find themselves a fag to bash’ - somewhat revealing, that.

Not to mention it’s utter bullshit. Has there ever been any “fag-bashing” in here?

I’ll concede the “sister-loving.” I mean, my Sis is hot. Whattaya gonna do? And as far as the mutual masturbation, well… the Tardis got stuck for a month in the Pleistocene, we had thirty cases of Sumerian mead, Wronwright had just dried off from a shower under a waterfall… again, whattaya gonna do?

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 13 at 10:42 PM • permalink

Just visited the site, I wonder what makes them hate the commentariat on this blog the so much?
    Envy perchance!?

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 13 at 10:44 PM • permalink

The few who’ve visited have lost the battle-o-wits they’ve had here; but how arrogant to ‘debate’ (troll) with an entire blog site’s commenters, it’s asking for an arse-whooping ...

Some have paid homage to the wit/humour, however.

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 10:55 PM • permalink

146. I had a look at “BlairBolt Watch”. What losers. Don’t they know they can watch just by visiting the site? Anyway. I rebuked them.
    Missed out again.

Posted by ooh honey honey on 2008 05 13 at 10:56 PM • permalink

147. But what of this pig-fancying, sister-hoochin’, jerk-bashing and so on. Have I been on Tim Blair lite all this time?
    Missed out again.

It’s “Blair After Dark.” Premium channel.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 13 at 11:06 PM • permalink

148. #144 envy indeed. While they watch our late-night parties with ancient meade, beautiful women, and repartee, they’re stuck light beer, no time travel, and a dearth of wit.
    It is a soul-less, tortured life they live. They pine for the light, they yearn to be among us, but years of deprivation have reduced them to bitterness.

So I suggest that you go easy.

Before you speak harsh words, imagine what it must be like to be them, and pity them.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 13 at 11:06 PM • permalink

They must’ve been invited to the wrong parties ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 13 at 11:15 PM • permalink

150. #120 They haven’t a clue what “bitching” is if they define a mere question as bitching.

Posted by Ash_ on 2008 05 13 at 11:19 PM • permalink

151. Don’t pay any heed to the know all wank-sticks at LP. Kim has copped a few pastings here for her views about most things, as has Bahnisch. Part of this is payback. What do you expect from two commo-lezzos? Their posts are full of contradictions, no mention of Bahnisch’s gig at News Ltd amid all of the hoots about ‘independent blogging’.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 14 at 12:26 AM • permalink

152. They wallow around in dimly lit, trash-filled apartments holding their ears and moaning, occasionally flinging themselves at the keyboard to tap out a furious message of hate at enlightened folk, and the society that has nurtured them in general.

All that… plus Traceeeeeeee too.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 14 at 12:26 AM • permalink

153. 151 - that “Kim”: she of the FGM debate?

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 14 at 12:28 AM • permalink

154. SC, the same.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 14 at 12:41 AM • permalink

You’re not insinuating her attitude has been coloured by her experience, are you?

Posted by lotocoti on 2008 05 14 at 12:48 AM • permalink

156. I hope for Tim’s sake, that News Ltd pulls out the finger, re. the speed of the blog.

Tried both, Bolt and Tim, and both timed out.
    Definitely not my browser, took two sec. to get on here.

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 14 at 12:50 AM • permalink

157. 154 - Right.
    Those Lav Pro’s - where do they get their ideas? They don’t know me at all. I’m just an everyday normal AND NSFW guy…

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 14 at 01:05 AM • permalink

158. #155. Either category of experiences seem to have left ‘a nasty taste in her mouth’

#156, I had a comment posted in 10 min at 11.00pm last night. Go figure eh?

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 14 at 01:05 AM • permalink

159. Bah, cos of delays, I accidentally posted twice over at Timboland.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 01:13 AM • permalink

160. #153 Kimbo has moved on to criticising Big Brother for condoning the removal of a toy unicorn from some bint on Big Brother. You certainly can’t accuse modern feminists of avoiding the big issues.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 01:17 AM • permalink

161. I’m not sure why the lavatory rodeo folk are so worried by Big Brother…it would seem to me to be counterproductive to have loud denunciations of it.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 01:26 AM • permalink

162. #160. Anything with a horn is a worthy target to Kim.

Posted by Nic on 2008 05 14 at 01:27 AM • permalink

163. TimboLand is a bit of a Bermuda Triangle for comments at the moment.

Just goes to show that the might of News Corporation cannot replace our Andrea.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 02:04 AM • permalink

164. I’ve had all three of my posts up within reasonable times - including one at about 10pm last night, which I expected to sit in limbo until the dawn.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 14 at 02:09 AM • permalink

165. I’m going to take advantage of the limited chance to vent here. I’ll just say on the Federal budget… the baby bonus is not welfare.
    It’s an incentive. It’s not supposed to help with groceries or day care or any of that shit. It’s literally a payment for breeding. If you means-test it, well that makes as much sense as means testing income.

This leads me to the conclusion that Wayne Swan is a moron.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 14 at 02:21 AM • permalink

166. #165 daddy dave

This leads me to the conclusion that Wayne Swan is a moron.

I second that.

One thing though is that this budget was largely prepared by the Libs and it seems that this mob were unprepared to make major changes or risk the electoral consequences.  Having said that a few of the old ways have crept back (actually the socialist agenda is always there waiting to come to the surface) so we now have the politics of envy.  I watched him for a short time answering replying to questions after his luncheon address at the National Press Club today.  My considered conclusion is “the man is inept”. He is way out of his depth.

Posted by Wand on 2008 05 14 at 02:41 AM • permalink

Kimbo has moved on to criticising Big Brother ...

Say no more ... purveyors of the pinnacle of kulcha ...

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 14 at 03:11 AM • permalink

168. Who moderates your new blog, Monica Attard?  On the subject of pig-Rootin’, it sure beats goat and camel shaggin’ my days of rebellious individuality will have to be reevaluated.

Posted by Howzat on 2008 05 14 at 03:42 AM • permalink

169. #6=165
    Daddy dave
    They should reverse means-test it.

If you’re a moccie-wearing dole bludger, or a teen mum, you shouldn’t get it.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 03:53 AM • permalink

170. I am going to miss this site, it has a simplicity and purity about it. Not to mention the ferocious anti-troll security.

I just want to add my thanks to Andrea for all the excellent work and troll eradication that she has done over the last few years. I am truly going to miss that as well as the fantastic and witty comments that I have enjoyed for so long.

I am sure the new site will work out fine but this is an end of an era and I am a bit sad for its passing.

Posted by rbresca on 2008 05 14 at 04:39 AM • permalink

171. Hey, I have been trolling for years and Andrea has never caught me. I still want to know what she has against the fine Scottish restaurant, however.

Posted by Badass Cinema on 2008 05 14 at 05:15 AM • permalink

kae, you beat me to it.
    I know whole families where three generations are unemployed and the youngest grand daughter has two kids at 18.

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 14 at 06:08 AM • permalink

173. When I see the word moderator I think of someone like a Methodist Moderator. Now this seems a bit strict. Sit up straight, no talking in church..etc,etc. This is what seems wrong at the moment. But we may yet Wronwright, yes?

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 14 at 06:18 AM • permalink

174. Who’s this bad-arse-enema, anyway?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 14 at 06:40 AM • permalink

175. With his ‘Scottish restaurant’ obsession, egg, bad-arse-enema is highly appropriate.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 14 at 06:53 AM • permalink

176. Does the ‘Scottish restaurant’ serve Haggis? Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish.
    There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep’s ‘pluck’ (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal’s stomach for approximately three hours.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 14 at 06:58 AM • permalink

177. I’m rather perplexed by he/she/it/s obscure obsession, but I must say there used to be two rather fine Caledonian restaurants up here in the uncivilised north, sadly lang gan’. If you feel a need o’ neeps it’s do it yourself, and as for a sheeps stomach stuffed with offal and oats, forget it- a shame, as it puts lead in your sporran.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 14 at 06:59 AM • permalink

Great Minds!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 07:16 AM • permalink

179. Hi everyone!

I am Badass Cinema, and no the fine Scottish restaurant doesn’t serve haggis, but it does serve McMuffins.

Posted by Badass Cinema on 2008 05 14 at 07:52 AM • permalink

180. Anyone had the good fortune to come across this gem on diversity-rich SBS?

Imagine if you can, combining smug inner-urban leftist comdians with wacky followers of the Prophet (PBUH) such as Wahlid Ali- sort of a Glass House of Saud.

Expect to see LOTS more of this for the next three years.

A highlight was a gag about the half million dead in Iraq caused by the Great Satan’s chief imp, who apparently brought on the whole thing as a result of a call from God- surely it was just a prank call? Also features a hilarious Where’s Osama regular skit, featuring Osama doing his laundry and swiping slurpees from a 7-11 in Footscray and much hilarity ensued when they considered the Afghan version of American/Australian Idol and the fact that for the first time a finalist was female, despite much beard-tugging (but not mentioned bomb plotting) by the local mullahs.

The studio audience brayed as enthusiastically as any Gore Hill collective or Melbourne Comedy Festival indentured viewers, but I’d say no nitrous was involved- I’m guessing the “APPLAUSE” signs had been replaced with video monitors showing a harlot being pelted with gonnies or an orange overall-clad unbeliever having his noggin sawn off.

A Gold Logie beckons.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 14 at 08:48 AM • permalink

181. Hey, guys, it’s all over. Tim’s sold out. You’re all out of a home.

Posted by Badass Cinema on 2008 05 14 at 10:57 AM • permalink

182. #182 Hey BC! Whatsa matter? You worried that there is a Conservative in your neighborhood? We aren’t out of a home. Where Tim goes, we go. So you better get used to the new faces on the playground. BTW, he didn’t sell out. Didn’t take a vow of poverty either. See ya on the playground. (eyes narrow, evil smirk)

Posted by Deborah Leigh on 2008 05 14 at 02:20 PM • permalink

183. Speaking of the other side of the pond, a detour to the US through France might be worthwhile.

Posted by Mike H. on 2008 05 14 at 02:31 PM • permalink

184. #182 - actually, BC, there’s a bunch of us regulars at the new place kicking back and shooting the shit. There are already holes in the wall next to the dartboard.

Posted by Dave S. on 2008 05 14 at 02:52 PM • permalink

185. I know that as a fully paid up, card-carrying, lefty-smashing RWDB I shouldn’t indulge in sentimental mushiness. But hey, I still like kittens and Fairy Floss. Anyone have a problem with that? )))GLARES((((

So here’s a fitting anthem for the end of this blog.

I mean really, who knew?

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 14 at 05:31 PM • permalink

186. #182 Tim’s sold out. You’re all out of a home.
    If it’s for filthy capitalist reasons that’s okay by me. ‘Suffering for your art’ is for lefties.

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 14 at 07:11 PM • permalink

187. what’s the deal with the sydney wake/commisseratory drink? I’ve had enquiries.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 07:15 PM • permalink

188. Strictly speaking, I’m not sure Mr Bad Bottoms deserves to be banned, but it would be good to see Andrea hurl the spear one more time just for us sentimental old fools.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 07:16 PM • permalink

189. #188 Kae,

If anyone is interested in joining Sydneysiders for a wake to commiserate the end of an era, email Daddy Dave pronto. He’ll give you all the details.

See you there!!!!

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 14 at 07:31 PM • permalink

190. Thanks Pogs.
    Someone emailed me using the Bio here, and it doesn’t tell you who is emailing you, so I dind’t know who it was!!!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 07:34 PM • permalink

191. And I leave you with this…

Bad Ass Cinema, suck my nuts.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2008 05 14 at 08:12 PM • permalink

192. just one thing: if you contact me or anyone else via their bio, make sure you mention who you are. In other words, mention what your screen name is (e.g., “paco”, “wronright”, etc.).

Posted by daddy dave on 2008 05 14 at 08:12 PM • permalink

193. daddy, that’d be another improvement, if you are registered here any contact you make with another member of the enrolled is ID’d with your nic…

Oh wait, that’s a bit redundant, isn’t it.

Well, something for the new site.

Along with the other suggested enhancements, I hope.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 08:15 PM • permalink

194. #182, You see, BAC, we’re not really out of a home.  We’ve merely had to move to a new place.  We will continue to be the stubbornly, irritatingly, grounded-in-actual-reality RWDBs we’ve always been, and there’s not a damn pixiedust-fairywing thing you can do about it.  Get used to the rib-jabs and nut-crunchers.  We’re not going away.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2008 05 14 at 09:37 PM • permalink

195. Badass Cinema is banned! Just because I felt like it.

Posted by Andrea Harris, Administrator on 2008 05 14 at 10:38 PM • permalink

196. And that’s also another great thing about here.
    Andrea.

*sob*

I hope they’re not making a mess over ‘t your place, Ms Andrea.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 14 at 10:47 PM • permalink

197. Thankyou Andrea, thank you. Now I feel strangely at peace.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2008 05 14 at 11:17 PM • permalink

198. Banned, but no doubt enjoying the glory of being the last troll out of Casa Blair. Hear that smug buzz disturbing the cybersphere? His buddies are sick with envy…

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 15 at 12:22 AM • permalink

199. Vor you ze var is ove..Bang!

Haw

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 15 at 01:16 AM • permalink

200. Hmmmm.

@ Tim Blair

“Disallowed Key Characters$Version”

You’ve got an error message for a webpage.

Tell the developers to stop playing silly buggers and this thing moving.

Posted by memomachine on 2008 05 15 at 01:18 AM • permalink

201. Shadowland? The only people in the shadows are the moderators. Declare yourselves you dissent crushers!!!

Posted by Penguin on 2008 05 15 at 03:08 AM • permalink

202. Ahhh, that felt good! My comment was up here within seconds of being submitted. Machines really are faster than people.

Posted by Penguin on 2008 05 15 at 03:10 AM • permalink

203. Thanks Tim, Thanks Andrea, but most of all a big Thank you to you my fellow bloggers, it has been a great honour to vent the spleen with you.  As the homicidal maniacs screech to the faithful as they commit another atrocity: “Allans new Snackbar” but I say don’t let the Bastards grind you down,  Freedom of Speech FOREVER!

Posted by Howzat on 2008 05 15 at 03:18 AM • permalink

204. Moderation queue now 90 minutes and counting- perhaps because I alluded to some possible dark perversion enjoyed by a senator from Tasmania, but made no specefic mention as to what use he’d put the device, if in fact he owned one.

This is about as much fun as peak hour traffic when there’s a suicidal cretin atop the Gateway Bridge, only slower moving.

Fuck this for a game of soldiers.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 15 at 03:24 AM • permalink

Oh, Habib. So it was a jumper on the bridge yesterday.
    Brisbane in Gridlock.

They shoulda pushed him off. They push cars off the highway, don’t they?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 03:46 AM • permalink

206. This never would have happened when John Howard was the Prime Minister…

Posted by Dan Lewis on 2008 05 15 at 03:56 AM • permalink

207. Not a bad way to do it if you’re suicidal but don’t have the bottle to top yourself- by about 7PM last night that prick had about a quarter of a million people who’d happily croak him, and feed the mangled remains to the mutant catfish that lurk under the pilings of the tallow wharf.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 15 at 03:59 AM • permalink

What, Brisbane in Gridlock ‘cos of a jumper on the Gateway?

Or you mean the other thing?

(Exactly how MUCH did everyone donate to Tim’s fund raising drive? I reckon he musta got a motza and he’s bought out some of the Tele….. he’s got big plans I say! This is only the beginning… next, he starts getting rid of the leftness left at the Tele, then, well, the sky’s the limit!)

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 04:06 AM • permalink

209. Can’t see myself posting very often on the new site.  Not that I really ever was a frequent poster.  My posting usually had a direct correlation to my BAC.

However I add my thanks to the mighty Andrea and hope that maybe someday when Tim gets promoted high enough he will return to private blogging.  We will be waiting.

And as a postscript can I thank all of you who have made reading this blog and its predecessors so enjoyable.

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 05:40 AM • permalink

210. Kae I should be in.  That way Habib can finally see that there is a difference between me and Pickles.  Speaking of Pickles does anyone have a link to the original “Lake” thread.  Pickles hasn’t seen it and now at the end it seems moot that we relive Wronwrights greatest moment in the sun.

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 05:44 AM • permalink

211. Cool, see ya there. I have the next day off… woohoo!
    Do a search for russian lake on the index page of tim’s bottom left.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 05:51 AM • permalink

“tim’s bottom left”
    kea, We didn’t know you were THAT familiar with Tim!?

Posted by Orion on 2008 05 15 at 05:58 AM • permalink

213. You know JABL, Wron should have a link to that himself. It’s his biggest modern-day cock up, er, achievement.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 05:59 AM • permalink

214. Hey Kae,

make sure you don’t scare off everyone at the Brekky Creek meets of the Blairheads. I’m going to be up there in a couple or three months and I want an opportunity to out drink Habib while I’m up there. heheheheh

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 06:00 AM • permalink

215. Piece of piss. Googled wronwright lake too easy.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 06:02 AM • permalink

216. This is it

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 06:16 AM • permalink

Ah, ya showoff. You’re just another bloody lawyer!

I gave you a start point!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 06:29 AM • permalink

218. Indeed you did.  Underlines the first rule in my household “No-one likes a smartarse”

Posted by Just Another Bloody Lawyer on 2008 05 15 at 07:03 AM • permalink

LOL
    I’m the only one in my household, and I make the rules. Only one smart arse allowed. Me.

<G>

It works!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 07:06 AM • permalink

220. I must have made at least one immoderate comment at the DTs. Some go missing.
    I second comments about all the fun.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 15 at 07:26 AM • permalink

221. The Brisbane jumper will sue someone for sure. Meanwhile

Sydney Police today revealed why thousands were stuck for more than four hours in a Sydney traffic jam yesterday while a shot was fired during a chase.
    It was all part of Operation Avert, a major three-day police action that led to 460 arrests, including more than 200 for outstanding warrants and 55 for breach of bail. Some 640 charges were laid. linky

One precious petal sought bail and claimed police hit him.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 15 at 07:33 AM • permalink

222. The sniper was still firing when the Predator’s 100-pound Hellfire missile came through the window and eliminated the threat.
    linky

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 15 at 07:45 AM • permalink

223. If anyone reads this…

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 15 at 09:08 AM • permalink

224. Message to all West Australian contributors and/or readers: there is a meeting proposed for the 22 May at 7pm; venue to be decided, but most likely to be Perth or inner suburbs.
    I have emailed some of you. If there is anyone I’ve missed - Wizard of WOZ and Razor, I couldn’t contact either of you - please email me at the address on the Members List.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 15 at 09:11 AM • permalink

225. Ah well, I’ve given it a shot but I’m an impatient and lazy bastard- I won’t even order sang choi bou because I’ll be fucked if I’ll order something I have to fucking make- my familt motto is “Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death”; I’ve had a few comments either dissapear or be moderated into limbo, put up with pages that load slower than a trebuchet firing cats, suffered tabs that cause all three of my browsers to brown their trousers and seen the troll army of Boltania begin infiltrating down their very own Ho Chi Minh trail- I put up with beter interwebby performance, user friendliness and reliability in systems I get paid a poultice to fuck with, I’m fucked if I’ll do it for free.

See y’all round like a rissole- it’s been mighty. I’m a bit cut up about it, so I’ll say ‘bye with a song that sums up my feelings for you all, even the trolls. I might pop by to read some items, but I don’t have a sufficiently long remaining life span to be arsed with the comment threads.

Posted by Habib on 2008 05 15 at 09:19 AM • permalink

226. #226 oh Habib!,

that’s my favourite Skyhooks song of all time! *sniff*  I’m all choked up.

Hey mate, please get the Diatribe going again. A lot of us would come and get sloshed with you.

I’m hoping to get up that way and visit Kae in a few months. We can all go on a pub crawl and see if we can find the Sailor’s bar with the foetal blood stains on the floor.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 09:29 AM • permalink

Wonder if it’s the bigmac troll on the new site?

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 15 at 10:05 AM • permalink

All the best.

Will never forget the Egyptian traffic update post :)

Posted by egg_ on 2008 05 15 at 10:15 AM • permalink

229. At least this blog will be archived and (I presume) we’ll be able to go back and read Habib’s classics whenever we like (which will be often).

Habib, ol’ fellow, I’ll say it once more: you’re depriving the world of a unique talent. I don’t imagine that would necessarily bother you, crusty bloke that you are, but it seems to me that fine writing, like everything else in short supply but high demend, ought to make it possible for you to pull the stuff in by the sackful.

Posted by paco on 2008 05 15 at 01:49 PM • permalink

230. This has been my homepage for many years. All good things come to an end and, truthfully, Tim’s blog has. The Tele incarnation cannot be the same.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the contributions from all - reading timblair in dingy cafes in various corners of the world has been like going to my local pub or coffee shop but without having to put up with the hippies.
    It had to end sometime - its only the left who fail to move on.
    Thanks Tim, Andrea and all the wonderful contributors.

Posted by Harold on 2008 05 15 at 04:24 PM • permalink

Thanks Egg. It was good to walk down memory lane there.

Lord, there’s some funny people in this pub!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 05:39 PM • permalink

232. It’s too much change!

I’ll be over in the corner, clinging bitterly to my guns.

Posted by Achillea on 2008 05 15 at 05:46 PM • permalink

Yeah. The bouncer’s aren’t as efficient as the one at this place. Or as charming. Just facelss ones.

And reading the blog isn’t something you can do easily, with the “reply” comments all over the place.
    If the “reply” thingy would make the comment go to the end with the original entry quoted - just a reference (NUMBERS NEEDED) it would be betterer.

Just sayin’.

Can’t be too hard for some software dude to write that, y’know?

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 05:50 PM • permalink

234. #234 Kae,

It’s not in the budget.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 05:54 PM • permalink

235. Wait ‘n see.

Tim knows what made the blog what it is.
    I’m sure he’s working on making the new one at least as good with the facilities at hand.

As he said, it will take time.

(I don’t like the new place either. It’s not the newness. It’s the lack… )

#3234
    bouncer’s? BOUNCER’S? Strewth. Must have changed my train of thought.

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 05:59 PM • permalink

236. #236 Kae,

I’m sure Tim will make a go of the new place, but it will never replicate what we had here.

You can’t go from being your own boss, to work for someone else and expect things to stay the same.

I understand change happens. I also understand “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Face it, Tim’s left the old neighbourhood and moved on.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 06:07 PM • permalink

237. This is the part in the drama when the hero, having been lured away from his gruff but affectionate (and underneath loving) companions by the prospects of rising higher, realises what he’s left behind. With some sappy music welling in the background he stares our of his new penthouse window, probably seeing someone down below who reminds him of the friends he’d left behind. Suddenly he turns, ripping off his tie and charging for the door.

And the ending we all know….....

Anyway. It has been fun reading Tim and the commenters. Tim’s posts are still as good at the new place. Not quite as much fun with the comments but nothing stays the same. I’m sure I’ll be seeing a lot of the commenters here popping up on other blogs.

cheers

Posted by Francis H on 2008 05 15 at 06:08 PM • permalink

238. >Sitting, fingers in ears… chanting<

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 06:13 PM • permalink

239. #238 Francis H,

this blog won’t be here much longer. We can only comment until it’s closed, which will be soon. Then it will be archived. Lost to us forever.

BTW, how are you? I was going to try to organise another Canberra meet, but since the death notices have gone out, it seemed rather pointless.

We are having a wake here in Sydney in a couple of weeks though, if you can make it up here.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 06:24 PM • permalink

240. I had a browse through the comments at the new place, and it is depressing to see the same old kiddies corner instruction having to take place between stalwarts like TRJ and this troll clone called Unavoidable. How appropriate that name is.
    I have to admit I’m bored with explaining to these unavoidables the facts of life. Similarly tiresome are ABC journos such as the one on AM who, instead of asking some searching question of Brendan Nelson re his speech, launched into his bad poll figures!
    It is a sad fact also that there are enough people with votes in the world whose understanding is so limited that they may well elect “no preconditions” Obama to run foreign policy for the US. Watch for some gesture from Iran during the campaign which makes it look as if talking to them does pay some sort of dividend. Meanwhile they are fomenting trouble on multiple fronts including Lebanon, and Israel remains in the sights of all groups.
    At the 60th anniversary, the displacement is still being blamed on Israel rather than the endemic poor leadership which sent people on the road to permanent refugee status. Ephraim Karsh has an article on this, using recently released British records from the time of the mandate. Lost the link at present but it’s compelling reading.

Posted by blogstrop on 2008 05 15 at 06:31 PM • permalink

241. Hi Pogria

I’m good. Another Canberra get together would have been great. But you’re right, a Blair would be a bit pointless. Not sure if I’ll be able to make a Sydney one but let me know timing. Would be nice to put some faces to names.

Ahm gonna miss the ol place.

Posted by Francis H on 2008 05 15 at 06:35 PM • permalink

242. Oops that last one should have read

“a Blair Alumni meeting would be a bit pointless”

Posted by Francis H on 2008 05 15 at 06:36 PM • permalink

243. Hey Francis,

get in touch with Daddy Dave. He’s organising it and will give you all the details.

It’s in a couple of weeks time.

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 06:37 PM • permalink

244. I knew what you meant Francis!! ;)

Posted by Pogria on 2008 05 15 at 06:38 PM • permalink

245. Thanks for the link to the lake stealing debacle. As is the case in many of these threads, it developed much in the manic manner of a Goon Show, a bizarre collection of silliness more than just for the sake of it.

Although not a long term commenter by any means, I’ve enjoyed it immensly. Fortunately for me I was lucky enough to get in after only a week or so lurking, a refugee from Bolta where I just got sick of the constant angst.

This place has made my life difficult in so far as in my line of work I sometimes have to listen and appear serious while remembering some particularly incisive Habibian spray or Infidel Tigerish mental image, which ain’t easy.

The poetry of Lyle and the non ryming stuff from paco will be especially missed.

It’s been fun hanging about with people who are intelligent enough to find the silly side of most things cause we all need a giggle, but also able to mount a half decent argument on serious matters.

It is also heartening to realise the disparate back and current grounds of the commenters here. Gives one faith that at least the sensibilitiy (or not, as the case may be)is spread around a bit, from deep in the bowels of the earth in a nickel mine, to those who grind gears for a quid, scions of business, public servants across the world, former and current members of the military (hats orf), retirees, men and women of letters and wigs, a Hollywood name or two, people who make shit, break shit, that sheila wot I shagged after Wacer’s B&S in 1987 and even that bastard Darrin who pinched me jacket at Cowra in 1990 and won’t give it back.

I have faith in TB. He above all knows what has made this place the go. I won’t be at all surprised to see the new place change significantly, as it is the old inkys that have to adapt to the new age, not the other way round and Rupert is no fool.

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 15 at 07:03 PM • permalink

Fuck Gee whiz, Pickles. That was an eloquent summation.

Yeah, what he said, speshly* the last paragraph.

(*sorry about the ‘speshly’)

Looks around….
    I’m going to miss this place, and these amazing people here.

*sigh* Please give it a go, keep checking in!

Posted by kae on 2008 05 15 at 07:28 PM • permalink

247. I can but repeat a comment over at Cl:
    CL I found you at Blair. And the other cast of characters.
    You are all probably too young to know the below but it sums much.

We’ll meet again
    Don’t know where
    Don’t know when
    But I know we’ll meet again some sunny day.

Posted by stackja1945 on 2008 05 15 at 08:15 PM • permalink

248. #205 Habib

perhaps this was the device that you were alluding to ?

In eytye, but you’ll get the point, as it were…

Posted by Pickles on 2008 05 15 at 08:31 PM • permalink

249. It’s not (yet) turned into the blandathon I expected on the new blog. My comments are going up within ten to fifteen minutes, and they even allowed the word ‘felch’ through the other day.

The U creature sounds very familiar. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a troll that our beloved Adminatrix booted. Or maybe they’re all like that - born with the Smug Lefty gene.

Posted by SwinishCapitalist on 2008 05 15 at 09:30 PM • permalink