<< PROVOCATIVE ONE-LETTER POST INTENDED TO LURE COMMENTS ~ MAIN ~ CARTOONIST CAUSES DIVISION >>

CONCEAL YOURSELVES

From a profile of Clive James in today’s Sydney Sun-Herald liftout magazine (no link available):

I like Tim Blair’s blog—I don’t necessarily agree with all of his politics, but I think he’s a good blogger.

What a nice thing to read on a Sunday morning. Also in the Sun-Herald, Miranda Devine takes a further look at Sheik Faiz Mohamad, the Sydney cleric and sleeve advocate whose cover, so to speak, was blown last week in the Melbourne Age. Turns out that insufficient clothing isn’t the Sheik’s only beef:

He also condemned the soap opera Days Of Our Lives, which he said made wives negative towards their husbands, and said “premarital sex is fashionable, that manipulation, deceit, cheating, lying falsehood are all essential ways to get the man or lady of your dreams”.

More from Miranda here.

Posted by Tim B. on 04/24/2005 at 07:40 AM
  1. There are many reasons to condemn Days Of Our Lives, I’ve actually watched it.

Posted by Aging Gamer on 2005 04 24 at 09:33 AM • permalink

2. Seems to me, Sheikh Faiz spends an awful lot of time thinking about: “Strapless, backless, sleeveless, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans… The way they dress, their hairstyles . . . layers of make-up, which they just shovel on in order to remove afterwards, tanning out in the sun, bronzed, shiny… extreme dieting, working out.”

Does it seem that way to you?

Posted by RebeccaH on 2005 04 24 at 11:09 AM • permalink

3. RebeccaH ... deep down, I think there is an Aussie bloke trying to jump out of that gown or cloak or whatever the Sheikh wears ... that’s all I think about all day and I wouldn’t have it any other way ...

Posted by Stevo on 2005 04 24 at 11:33 AM • permalink

4. Tim ... I’m impressed that you’ve got the Kid from Kogarah as a reader ... hi Clive ... what I don’t understand is that this page has already been viewed 471368 times according to the Statistics down the left hand menu.  Now that is really impressive ...

Posted by Stevo on 2005 04 24 at 11:42 AM • permalink

5. RebeccaH — I think it would do the Sheik of Shame a world of good to be introduced to the Fine Arts ...

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 04 24 at 11:51 AM • permalink

6. Stevo,

That number refers to total visitors to the comments section, not this particular comments page.

Posted by Tim B. on 2005 04 24 at 12:53 PM • permalink

7. Did he mentioned a garter and stockings and high heel shoes?  Yes, those are very very bad too.

Posted by wronwright on 2005 04 24 at 01:52 PM • permalink

8. Don’t suppose Tim or a Sydney reader could type in a bit more of what Clive said about bloggers (if he did say anything more)?

Posted by Blithering Bunny on 2005 04 24 at 04:13 PM • permalink

9. Stevo and Richard -

I’ve nothing at all against a healthy male having healthy thoughts.  It’s the ranting on ad nauseam about how sinful and satanic are those unclean, uncovered females who cause those thoughts.  Sheikh Stupid and his ilk are hypocrites, among other things, so please do not include yourselves in their company.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2005 04 24 at 05:29 PM • permalink

10. RebeccaH — Wasn’t that the Benny Hill “Pilgrim” Sketch?

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 04 24 at 05:58 PM • permalink

11. Makes you wonder where this sits vis a vis the religious vilification laws in Victoria.  This man can castigate all women and offer an excuse (expletive deleted) for muslim (? or other) men to rape women and get away with it!

If anyone should be found guilty of religious vilification or a perverted variation of it, this creep takes the prize.

The best place for him would be a nice cold jail cell where he could preach to his heart’s content to the walls.

Posted by Acer on 2005 04 24 at 06:43 PM • permalink

12. It’s gonna be a sad day when McEnroe gets a full-time job. It must take time to find sites like that.

Posted by GaryS on 2005 04 24 at 07:04 PM • permalink

13. RebeccaH ... I was only thinking back to my youth ... they were memories of ... I’ll leave that one alone.  Seriously, I think people like the Sheikh are wanting to assume power through the pretext of religion ... they’re dangerous and we need to deal with the threat.  I said in an earlier post that I believe most Australians to be too easy going and we allow this bullshit to occur and to continue.  I read somewhee earlier a term that neatly describe the Sheikh and his ilk ... fascists.

Posted by Stevo on 2005 04 24 at 07:40 PM • permalink

14. ...manipulation, deceit, cheating, lying falsehood are all essential…
    These are all unknown in islamic societies, of course.

Posted by blogstrop on 2005 04 24 at 07:45 PM • permalink

15. GaryS — Gotta job. You can sleep in peace at night because crude men surf online for you…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2005 04 24 at 09:46 PM • permalink

16. Tim,

I find myself in utter agreement with James, C. I don’t necessarily agree with your politics but I reckon you’re one helluva blogger.

In any event, I keep coming back and adding to those staggering page view figures. A day without Tim Blair is like a day without vitriol. And I simply could not have that.

Posted by Peter Hoysted on 2005 04 25 at 11:37 PM • permalink