<< POLLSTERS TOLD ~ MAIN ~ KURT VONNEGUT >>

ANIMALS FORCED INLAND

Alaskan sea otters are starving! Why? Because there’s too much ice:

An unbudging sheath of sea ice has blocked off the waters where the Alaska Peninsula’s sea otters forage, forcing the starving animals inland on a search for food and making them easy prey for wolves and humans.

Some otters have waddled or slid on their bellies for several miles onto the tundra near Port Heiden, where they have been attacked by dogs, killed for their pelts or have died of malnourishment ...

Similar freeze-outs have been documented since the early 1970s.

Poor little guys; if only that ice could be melted somehow.

Posted by Tim B. on 04/11/2007 at 11:22 AM
  1. Forget the food shortage and wolves and humans, what about the polar bears that will surely invade this sea otter colony soon?

Posted by PW on 2007 04 11 at 11:37 AM • permalink

2. This little fellow is much cuter than any grown polar bear.  Jack up those CO2 emissions and melt that damned ice - do it for the sea otters!

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 04 11 at 11:45 AM • permalink

3. I wonder if the 1970’s freeze-overs were used as proof of the impending manmade Ice Age?

Posted by andycanuck on 2007 04 11 at 11:45 AM • permalink

4. Not as cute as Knut, Sil.

Posted by andycanuck on 2007 04 11 at 11:47 AM • permalink

5. Global Warming theory predicted this. It predicts everything.

Posted by tim maguire on 2007 04 11 at 11:49 AM • permalink

6. I love otters…i’ll go fire up the Suburban.

Posted by dub kitty on 2007 04 11 at 11:57 AM • permalink

7. How’s this for irony. A friend of mine has had an otter bumpersticker on each of the last few cars he owns. The latest is a Prius.

I’d hate to break it to him. Could someone else do it for me?

Posted by Rob Crawford on 2007 04 11 at 12:00 PM • permalink

8. I love otters, too. Let’s crank up the warmening and get that frickin’ ice melted!

Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 04 11 at 12:05 PM • permalink

9. ‘Similar freeze-outs have been documented since the early 1970s.’
    The 1970’s “consensus” for the impending Ice Age.
    We had a warm day in Adelaide today. I jokingly said “it’s all that CO2 floating about”. I was taken seriously. GreenHouse impending…

Posted by Observer on 2007 04 11 at 12:06 PM • permalink

10. “making them easy prey for wolves and humans”

Those humans run in wild vicious snarling packs, tearing apart any sweet baby animal that, gets in their way.

Posted by paddles on 2007 04 11 at 12:21 PM • permalink

11. Hair dryers work on my freezer.  Would that help?

Posted by blerp on 2007 04 11 at 12:56 PM • permalink

12. #6, #8 Yup, otters are good—I prefer mine grilled, over mesquite.  Almost as tasty as polar bear.

Posted by rbj1 on 2007 04 11 at 12:59 PM • permalink

13. Blerp, you idea has merit, but wouldn’t it would be hard to teach an otter to operate a hair dryer?

Posted by ErnieG on 2007 04 11 at 01:00 PM • permalink

14. Sure.  Worry about the sea otters and polar bears.  You’ll all be singing a different tune when the asteroids come.

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 04 11 at 01:16 PM • permalink

15. And it’ll be really bad when they fall!

[/pervert]

Posted by RebeccaH on 2007 04 11 at 01:17 PM • permalink

16. Ernie, it’s surprisingly easy.

The Peninsula of Alaska Corporation for Otter Preservation have developed a brand new initiative. They have created helmets for otters remarkably similar to those worn by miners, but instead of a torch, it has a squeak-activated hair dryer. All the otters need to do is squeak, and all their problems will just melt away.

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 11 at 01:21 PM • permalink

17. I’m sure that this will get posted on in due course, but I thought I’d bring it up for readers anyway:

Mankind can’t influence climate

Posted by Ian Deans on 2007 04 11 at 01:30 PM • permalink

18. Obviously Blerp & ErnieG didn’t read the instructions that came with their hair dryers. Either that or they’ve come up with a diabolically clever plan to rid the planet of all those pesky otters thereby eliminating the need to melt the ice.

Posted by Kyda Sylvester on 2007 04 11 at 01:50 PM • permalink

19. Suggestion. Scotch. Doesn’t have to be the good stuff, unless the otters complain of course.

Scotch will help melt the ice, the melting ice and water will dilute the scotch, worst that can happen, sea otters with a slight buzz.

Like who knows, the Polar Bear Union, just may demand scotch, in their next negotiations. I can just hear it now…Polars of both sexes saying…‘did you see who I had to bang, last time around…Man, thank God for the scotch’.

Posted by El Cid on 2007 04 11 at 02:07 PM • permalink

20. That brave, unbudging ice.  Putting up a cold, wizened face of resistance to global warming.  Jack London would be so proud… so long as he didn’t have to build a fire on the sea wolf to save white fang from the call of the wild for a piece of steak.

OK… I’ll go away now.

Posted by Hucbald on 2007 04 11 at 02:12 PM • permalink

21. Global warming seems to be threatening only our cutest/most entertaining species. Curious, that.

Posted by Dave S. on 2007 04 11 at 02:20 PM • permalink

22. Dave, I have compiled a list of threatened animals.

Animal One
    Animal Two
    Animal Three
    Animal Four
    Animal Five
    Animal Six
    Animal Seven

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 11 at 02:32 PM • permalink

23. What’s this “global” warming?  I thought it was “Gorebal” warming?

Posted by tomson on 2007 04 11 at 02:39 PM • permalink

24. These are next on the global warming hit list.

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 11 at 02:42 PM • permalink

25. There otter be a law, I tell ya.

Posted by SoberHT on 2007 04 11 at 02:48 PM • permalink

26. What did the mollusk say to the otter? “You crack me up.”

Posted by andycanuck on 2007 04 11 at 03:08 PM • permalink

27. #4 andycanuck

Hmm - this is very true.  To compete against the formidable cuteness powers of Knut that have been so diabolically unleashed on us by the goreball warmeningerers, we’re going to have to break out the piles of baby sea otters.

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 04 11 at 03:10 PM • permalink

28. Bob the Sea Otter Prays on His Deathbed

As I die of cold on the shore,
    Lord, grant me a few favors more -
    These aren’t demands -
    I need wrists and hands
    To strangle that damned Albert Gore.

Posted by lyle on 2007 04 11 at 03:11 PM • permalink

29. Ash_
    Here’s another one.

Cheers

Posted by J.M. Heinrichs on 2007 04 11 at 03:16 PM • permalink

30. OT

Speaking of mollusks.

Posted by El Cid on 2007 04 11 at 03:17 PM • permalink

31. This reminds me of the novel I was supposed to read for my HSC, “Ring of Bright Water”.
    I didn’t.
    Come the day of my HSC, sure enough, the paper asked for an essay.
    I made up my own story about a bunch of eskimos, cutting holes in the ice to fish.
    Best. essay. ever. I was sure.
    Was later horrified to discover the marker didn’t credit me for creative writing.

Save the otters!
    More global warming!

Posted by Mike_W on 2007 04 11 at 03:29 PM • permalink

32. Spare a thought for this poor creature, forced into close contact with humans in a futile effort to evade Global Warming.

(given the opportunity, my dogs would eat these nasty little disease vectors like popcorn)

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 04 11 at 03:39 PM • permalink

33. Gotta tell you Sil, I’m not going to stop driving my Prado for a fucking Deer Mouse.

Unless it has a name.

Does it have a name?

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 11 at 03:43 PM • permalink

34. O/T
    Senator McCain is on C-SPAN from VMI.  It is a very good and clear speech.  He is just destroying the Democratic Party and their tactics on the War. This is probably the best speech on the War to date by any politician.

Posted by yojimbo on 2007 04 11 at 04:01 PM • permalink

35. I’m guessing if someone had been in a position to do the documentation that similar freeze-outs could also be documented not just from the early 1970s but from the early 1870s and the early 1770s and so on.  Do people not realize that Gaia is a harsh, harsh mistress?  She’s been killing off animals in great numbers via winter weather for thousands of years.  She might have her good side, but she can also be a bitch from hell.  Never forget that.

Posted by kcom on 2007 04 11 at 05:11 PM • permalink

36. Oh No !!!! not the incredibly cute sea otters. I weep for man’s cruelty.Or not. Instead I think I’ll go butcher a pair of wild turkey gobblers that I was lucky enough to kill this morning.And then   ,  wait for it ,  I’m going to put them on ICE.HaHaHaHaHa.

Posted by greene on 2007 04 11 at 05:20 PM • permalink

37. So, basically, what I’ve learned from this thread is that if humans had bigger eyes we’d be victims of Global Warming rather than perpetrators. That’s some rigorous fuckin’ science right there. Note to Do-Gooders: if you can’t do the math, you don’t know the science. And nobody can do the math on climate change.

Some people wonder how a religion named “Scientology” can grow at a torrid pace. I think of the warmening crowd and go: “oh”.

Bob Heinlein’s probably still paying on losing that bet. Maybe he has to read Hubbard’s SciFi for the first half of eternity.

Posted by brett_l on 2007 04 11 at 05:29 PM • permalink

38. Slightly OT:
    Phatty attacks ABC stablemate Duffy over AGW

Hope this dinosaur goes the way of Terry Lane ...

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 05:42 PM • permalink

39. #17 ID
    Tks for the link.

Oz Geologists such as Plimer must be exasperated by the likes of Tim Flummery.
    Got Plimer’s book A Short History of Planet Earth

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 05:53 PM • permalink

40. So, basically, what I’ve learned from this thread is that if humans had bigger eyes we’d be victims of Global Warming rather than perpetrators.

Earth to warm, children and anime characters hardest hit…

Posted by PW on 2007 04 11 at 06:02 PM • permalink

41. #19 Suggestion. Scotch. Doesn’t have to be the good stuff, unless the otters complain of course.

A better idea—let’s chip the ice and use it for our scotch, which does have to be good.  We’ll save the salty ice for margaritas.  I’m certain that PACO Enterprises has been working on the licensing rights.

Posted by fresca on 2007 04 11 at 06:24 PM • permalink

42. Just a smidge O/T, the climate of fear.
    FFS.

Posted by lotocoti on 2007 04 11 at 06:25 PM • permalink

43. Where the fuck’s my credit?

Posted by Dminor on 2007 04 11 at 06:33 PM • permalink

44. It’s all John Howard’s fault.  I’m told he hates otters.

Posted by ann j on 2007 04 11 at 06:40 PM • permalink

Dr Mohamad Abdalla was born in Libya from Palestinian parents and grew up in Jordan and Australia where he is now a citizen.

The reverse discrimination test?
    An Aussie emigrates to Turkey and then views the Turks’ anniversary of Gallipoli as culturally insensitive.
    When in Rome, FFS.

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 06:42 PM • permalink

46. #39. I read the article.  Phatty is a dickhead.  I hope he lives long enough to see how stupid he is.

Posted by kcom on 2007 04 11 at 06:46 PM • permalink

47. From Ian’s link at #17, that only 0.1% of CO2 is man-made.

That’s a bit less than the figures I’ve been reading (up to 5%), but hey, I’ll take it!

Whatever your number, the fraction is incredibly small. From another of my (completely ignored) links from that minimalist post:

Imagine 100 cases each contain 24 one-litre bottles (ie: 2,400 bottles in total) representing all the Earth’s gases.

One case only contains greenhouse gases (99% are nitrogen and oxygen).

One bottle only contains CO2 (the others mainly water vapour).

Somewhere between 1 and 50mls of that bottle is man-made CO2. Call it 30ml - one shot of CO2 in 2,400 litres of other stuff. Yep, sounds real dangerous, enough to trigger catastrophic, self-sustaining climate change; right on. Seriously potent, this CO2.

Posted by Dminor on 2007 04 11 at 06:53 PM • permalink

48. #17 & 40. Thanks for the introduction to Prof Plimer.
    There is a desperate need for more people to be equipped with his “finely tuned bullshit detector”.

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 04 11 at 06:58 PM • permalink

49. Guys guys guys… this type of event is called “Climate Change”.

You’re supposed to drop the “Warming” reference when things are colder than normal.

Am I the only one paying attention?

Posted by cal on 2007 04 11 at 07:10 PM • permalink

50. #43 - Let ‘em cause offence. The Anzacs weren’t knocking on Turkey’s door because we wanted to make friends.

Posted by Ian Deans on 2007 04 11 at 07:12 PM • permalink

No probs, Skeeter.
    Is Beattie helping out with the carbon offets for trees scheme? :)

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 07:16 PM • permalink

52. Go ahead and laugh skeptics!

You won’t be laughing when global warming overwhelms the earth and the ice is up to your front door!

Posted by Lonetown on 2007 04 11 at 07:20 PM • permalink

Precisely.
    Ditto for Aussies working in (post-WWII) Japan today.
    Guys like Medulla Abdalla seem to seek out divisiveness.

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 07:26 PM • permalink

54. Also, otters are quite dextrous.  They should have no problem wielding a hair dryer and manipulating the controls.

Yeah, but wouldn’t they just get electrocuted trying to use a hair dryer in the water?

Posted by Rob Crawford on 2007 04 11 at 07:39 PM • permalink

55. O/T

And shallow.

Can Tim run a “Babe of the ALP Conference 2007” contest?

Posted by boxofmatches on 2007 04 11 at 07:58 PM • permalink

56. Otters’ closest relatives are the badger and the wolvering.  Or as one wag put it:  God took the cutest face in the world and put it on the meanest animal he could find…

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 04 11 at 08:04 PM • permalink

57. #56 He can and he should. Babe rights and indeed, righteous babes, have been in the shadows for too long in the ALP.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 11 at 08:06 PM • permalink

58. Sort of O/T

A relevant quote from a few centuries ago

Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

I don’t pretend to understand the universe - it’s a great deal bigger than I am…people ought to be modester

There must have been people around then who were into Earth Control

Posted by aussiemagpie on 2007 04 11 at 08:23 PM • permalink

59. #57 richard

Call for you!

Posted by Spiny Norman on 2007 04 11 at 08:30 PM • permalink

60. #34 Ash_

The sentimental fools at my bank would call it “Whiskers” after their mascot.  Me, I’d rather call it “vile little Lyme-disease-carrying, house-invading beast.”

Actually, the little buggers have an appreciation for Gaia-raping vehicles, or so I’ve come to believe after seeing numerous mouse nests built in air cleaners, glove compartments, car seats, and, most memorably, on top of a truck fan (this last was only discovered after said truck was started up after sitting for several months, and bits of fluff, leaves, and mousies flew everywhere).

Posted by Blue State Sil on 2007 04 11 at 08:48 PM • permalink

61. #17 & 40.
    Thanks for the info on Prof Plimer. Can you believe his book is published by ABC Books. Someone was asleep.

Posted by Zuzzy on 2007 04 11 at 08:56 PM • permalink

62. If the Crisis Coalition Team are right then those poor little otters can be expecting about 20 metres of relief in one decade.

” The Greenland, Alaskan and West Antarctic ice sheets together hold about 25% of the fresh water on the planet. The effects of the collapse of either ice sheet would be huge. Once you lost one of these ice sheets, there’s no putting it back for thousands of years, if ever.

If they disintegrate,  sea level could rise nearly 20 meters, possibly in only one decade.”

Posted by Hank Reardon on 2007 04 11 at 08:57 PM • permalink

63. Save the Otters!
    Burn the forests!

Posted by Grimmy on 2007 04 11 at 09:21 PM • permalink

64. Spiny Norman—Ooooookaaaaay… avoids eye contact

Posted by richard mcenroe on 2007 04 11 at 09:32 PM • permalink

65. Do italics cause global warming?

Posted by andycanuck on 2007 04 11 at 10:27 PM • permalink

66. OT But I have noted a certain questioning attitude - call it even cynicism - at this place about the happiness of the loyal subjects of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea.

Well how do you like dese sweet potatoes, huh?

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 11 at 10:53 PM • permalink

67. #67. Sweet potatoes would go nicely with a giant rabbit steak.

Posted by Hank Reardon on 2007 04 11 at 11:17 PM • permalink

68. “Can you believe his book is published by ABC Books. Someone was asleep.”

Sorry they’ve woken up - I just tried to buy it at the ABC shop and received this reply:

“Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, these items have now been deleted and are no longer available through the ABC.

Thanks for contacting http://www.abcshop.com.au

Kind regards,

Jase
    ABC Shop Online
    Ph: 1300 360 111 [+61 2 8333 5666]
    Fax: 1300 360 150 [+61 2 8333 5622]”

So the good Professor has been DELETED !!!

Posted by Peter W on 2007 04 11 at 11:19 PM • permalink

Never fear. The good Perfesser Flannery and his dogma are still getting spruiked harder than a titty show in Kings Cross.

Posted by Infidel Tiger on 2007 04 11 at 11:36 PM • permalink

70. Via bolta, Sky news is running a poll (top right)

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 11 at 11:38 PM • permalink

Back in the days of open debate on Our ABC, unfortunately ...

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 11 at 11:40 PM • permalink

72. For discussion purposes I thought you would all like to hear about Grist - how to talk to climate skeptics Appearing in today’s Crikey newsletter:

(no link available to non subscribers)

“Enter Daily Tele columnist Piers Akerman, who writes today:

What Al Gore, the EU, the UN, Garrett and Rudd all choose to ignore is the science which shows that the Earth’s climate has always been variable and that climate change can be attributed to many things, but that among the least likely to have had any influence is human activity.

Akerman continues:

Professor Ian Plimer of the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Adelaide says the current theory of human-induced global warming is not in accord with history, archaeology, geology or astronomy and must be rejected.

Further, he says, the current promotion of this theory as science is fraudulent and the current alarmism on climate change is not science.
    Some 96% of the greenhouse effect is due to water vapour, the rest is due to CO2, methane and other gases, he says.

Grist says:

Objection: H2O accounts for 95% of the greenhouse effect; CO2 is insignificant.

Answer: According to the scientific literature and climate experts, CO2 contributes anywhere from 9% to 30% to the overall greenhouse effect. The 95% number does not appear to come from any scientific source, though it gets tossed around a lot.

Please see this paper (PDF), the textbook referenced here, and this article at RealClimate….

Read more here.

Akerman continues:

Of the CO2, 95% is due to natural processes (volcanoes, plants, bacteria etc) with the remainder (about 0.1%) resulting from human activities.

Grist says:

Objection: It’s clear from ice cores and other geological history that CO2 fluctuates naturally. It is bogus to assume today’s rise is caused by humans.

Answer: We emit billions of tons of CO2 into the air and, lo and behold, there is more CO2 in the air. Surely it is not so difficult to believe that the CO2 rise is our fault. But if simple common sense is not enough, there is more to the case. (It is worth noting that investigation of this issue by the climate science community is a good indication that they are not taking things for granted or making any assumptions—not even the reasonable ones!)

It is true that CO2 has gone up on its own in the past, most notably during the glacial-interglacial cycles. During this time, CO2 rose and fell by over 100 ppm, ranging between around 180 to 300ppm. But these rises, though they look steep over a 400Kyr timeframe, took 5K to 20Kyrs, depending on the glacial cycle…

(read more here.)

And on the Volcano point, Grist says:

Objection: One decent-sized volcanic eruption puts more CO2 in the atmosphere than a decade of human emissions. It’s ridiculous to think reducing human CO2 emissions will have any effect.

Answer: Not only is this false, it couldn’t possibly be true given the CO2 record from any of the dozens of sampling stations around the globe. If it were true that individual volcanic eruptions dominated human emissions and were causing the rise in CO2 concentrations, then these CO2 records would be full of spikes—one for each eruption. Instead, such records show a smooth and regular trend.

Read more here.

But wait, says Akerman:

Even if humans stopped producing CO2 now, it would not make the slightest difference to atmospheric CO2, as natural sources swamp the human sources. Even so, the atmosphere is almost at the lowest level of CO2 content of the past 4550 million years, and the role of the greatest biomass on Earth bacteria and CO2 is an unknown.

Grist says:

Objection: According to the IPCC, 150 billion tonnes of carbon go into the atmosphere from natural processes every year. This is almost 30 times the amount of carbon humans emit. What difference can we make?

Answer: It’s true that natural fluxes in the carbon cycle are much larger than anthropogenic emissions. But for roughly the last 10,000 years, until the industrial revolution, every gigatonne of carbon going into the atmosphere was balanced by one coming out.

What humans have done is alter one side of this cycle. We put approximately 6 gigatonnes of carbon into the air but, unlike nature, we are not taking any out.

Read more here.

We’re happy for you to prove Grist wrong on this—so send your objections to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by allan on 2007 04 11 at 11:41 PM • permalink

73. #10 paddles

Oh, you’ve worked where I work?

Posted by kae on 2007 04 11 at 11:42 PM • permalink

How long until Plimer is accused of accepting money from “Big Oil”?

Posted by kae on 2007 04 11 at 11:48 PM • permalink

75. #22 Ash_

add this animal to your endangered list.

Posted by kae on 2007 04 11 at 11:57 PM • permalink

76. Allan:

Any chance you could fit these in:

Objection: The “Hockey Stick Graph” omits data from the MWP and Little Ice Age, thus exaggerating 20th-century temperature changes.

Objection: Judeo-Christian civilization has a history of imminent-apocalypse scenarios dating back at least 2000 years, from predictions of Christ’s end-times return to Earth a few years after his death to predictions of mass famine and oil depletion by the year 2000. None has come true. Why is skepticism so hard to understand?

Objection: Global-Warming believers claim to be scientific, yet make statements such as “Hurricane Katrina was severe because of global warming.” Additionally, they engage in unscientific reasoning such as post hoc, ergo propter hoc (“Global temperatures have increased in correlation with the Industrial Revolution and increased CO2, therefore industrial CO2 causes global warming”)

There’s just a few off the top of my head.

Posted by Dave S. on 2007 04 11 at 11:59 PM • permalink

77. #19 El Cid

The Polar Bear Union will obviously oppose any move to use scotch - demanding instead to use Bunderberg Rum. What else would a self respecting polar bear drink?

Posted by Justin on 2007 04 12 at 12:01 AM • permalink

78. Few more:

Objection: If global warming is such an apocalyptic threat, why do its most prominent spokespersons live such extravagant lifestyles?

Objection: If global warming is such an apocalyptic threat, why do the vast majority of environmentalists oppose ameliorative (and non-apocalyptic) efforts such as nuclear power plants?

Objection: If the evidence is so convincing, why do believers proffer false evidence such as the reduction of polar bear populations (when polar bear are, in fact, thriving.)

Posted by Dave S. on 2007 04 12 at 12:13 AM • permalink

Climate Change sceptics currently at 60%.

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 12 at 12:13 AM • permalink

80. Objection: Crikey publishes pretty much any old crap.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 12 at 12:21 AM • permalink

81. #73 - Don’t feed the arseholes at Crickey.

Posted by boxofmatches on 2007 04 12 at 12:21 AM • permalink

82. A little more seriously, Plimer says about 0.1% of CO2 results from human activities.

I can’t see any refutation of that in Grist’s response.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 12 at 12:33 AM • permalink

83. I think it is time for George W and John Howard to call the bluff on the global warming consensus. I’m thinking something along the lines of this type of press conference.

Bush: Thank you for coming. I’m here today to announce that after years of vigourous testimony from environmentalists and internet inventors, I have been swayed by the arguments which say there is a global consensus on climate change being the result of human activity.

And you know what, there is a consensus saying it is going to be big and bad.

So effective immediately, I am cutting off all government funding to researchers who are investigating global warming. What’s the point in spending billions of dollars on research everyone agrees on?

NY Times Journalist: Won’t that ruin entire careers, close down university research labs?

Bush: You’re not telling me these people are in it for money are you? I thought they cared about the planet, not their wallet or their energy guzzling house and SUV. Besides, there is a consensus. I mean do we still have scientists researching whether the sky is blue, or whether Al Gore’s weight has as much influence on the tides as the moon. These are accepted scientific facts and we must live by them.

NYT Journo: But how will we irresponsibly headline grab on new dangers that have an improbable chance of happening in the future?

Bush: Here’s a headline for you - Bush cuts off hot air. Thank you.

Posted by The Prez on 2007 04 12 at 12:34 AM • permalink

84. #61, Blue State,

Don’t know about Lyme disease but deer mice certainly do carry Hanta virus.

Nasty!

Posted by Janice on 2007 04 12 at 12:36 AM • permalink

85. Objection:  If global warming activists care so much about the future why do they want most of us dead?

Posted by Janice on 2007 04 12 at 12:38 AM • permalink

86. Answer:  Because it’s their futures they’re concerned about.  The rest of us are expected to pay their way.

Posted by Janice on 2007 04 12 at 12:41 AM • permalink

87. #84 Prez
    I reckon that’d work.
    Would certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons. Imagine the scrabbling to find a new cause.

Posted by kae on 2007 04 12 at 12:55 AM • permalink

88. OT Excellent jobs growth figures.

Leading economists agree that many of Australia’s economic problems have disappeared.

Posted by Margos Maid on 2007 04 12 at 12:58 AM • permalink

89. What camp are you in on climate change?
    Believer 39%
    Sceptic 61%

haha

Posted by peter m on 2007 04 12 at 01:46 AM • permalink

90. #76 kae,

I would, but it’s not nearly cute enough. Besides, why should we help that which has caused the problem through their selfishness?!

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 12 at 01:52 AM • permalink

91. #91 No, no, Ash_ you don’t get it.

The extinction is not from AGW, but from the actions required to STOP AGW! (The New Religion’s Zealots.)

Posted by kae on 2007 04 12 at 01:59 AM • permalink

92. #92 Kae, that makes much more sense. Has anyone noticed an AGW zealot actually doing something useful yet? Anything?

Posted by Ash_ on 2007 04 12 at 02:10 AM • permalink

93. #49 egg

Is Beattie helping out with the carbon offets for trees scheme? :)

I see your smiley. You are joking, of course.
    I would like to help him out. :)

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 04 12 at 03:26 AM • permalink

94. #69 OldDigger
    I have just ordered Plimer’s book at Dymocks.com.au ($32.95 plus postage).
    I see at Amazon UK that Plimer is a co-writer of a 5 volume Encyclopedia of Geology. A snap at £755 if you are into rocks.

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 04 12 at 03:34 AM • permalink

95. #73 ....But if simple common sense is not enough, there is more to the case…..

Yup. When the science doesn’t fit your intended outcome, go with good ole common sense. Is this the same good ole common sense the left uses to conclude that 9/11 was a Bush conspiracy? That David Hicks is a hero? That the abolishment of gun ownership is a great idea? That EVERYTHING can be solved through government programs? Or is this some other good ole lefty common sense?

Take your good ole lefty common sense and shove it right up your ass. You brain-dead talking amoebas are a bigger threat to the western civilization than the frickin Islamists. Please do go fuck yourself and drop dead at the earliest opportunity. And take your friends with you.

Posted by Texas Bob on 2007 04 12 at 04:01 AM • permalink

They prolly had to make way for the Carmen Lawrence wing, with titles such as:
    - Spinsters and Sphincterers Guide to Hand Tools
    - The Al Gore Diet: Carbonated drinks with dry ice
    - Rob Hirst: How I Beat It

Posted by egg_ on 2007 04 12 at 04:08 AM • permalink

‘Onya Tex!

Posted by Skeeter on 2007 04 12 at 05:12 AM • permalink

98. Just got home from work.

Beattie has ganged up with all the State and Territory Premiers and they have vowed to lower emissions by 60% WITH OR WITHOUT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ON BOARD.

I have two questions for them.

1.  How?

2.  Who’s going to pay?

Posted by kae on 2007 04 12 at 05:54 AM • permalink

A snap at £755 if you are into rocks.

The muzzies might like it.

Posted by kae on 2007 04 12 at 05:56 AM • permalink

100. I hear they have an awful lotta otter in Brazil. Unless I mis-heard ...

Posted by blogstrop on 2007 04 12 at 06:37 AM • permalink

101. #99 If Beattie just shuts his trap for change, a massive drop in hot air will result bringing about a drop in sea levels; a bumper snow season; and a doubling in size of the Great Barrier Reef.

Posted by Ubique on 2007 04 12 at 08:46 AM • permalink

102. This thread was doomed from the start. It was only a matter of time before it collapsed in a big slush of otter nonsense.

Posted by geoff on 2007 04 13 at 08:50 AM • permalink